Dutasteride

FJavaid

Reaction score
So what's the deal? Is this drug being tested by GSK for hairloss or not? I heard no from a few places but I wasn't sure.

scottp999

Reaction score
My opinion is that they are not proceeding with phase III hair loss trials right now because they are proceeding with phase III prostate cancer prevention trials which would mean much more $ for them and make avodart stand out more from proscar which will be subject to generics in a couple of years. They must have some pretty good cancer phase II results to go ahead with phase III. I will be taking avodart for hair loss regardless and started on Dec 10, 2002.

here is the link to the phase III info for cancer prevention:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030212/health_g ... cer_2.html

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Scott, keep your results on avodart on this thread. Post every 2 months if you can... Good observations.

XL

Kebabman

Reaction score
Hi guys, anyone know the cheapest place to order Avodart/Dutasteride? I normally order Proscar through qhi.co.uk as I live in England and they always seem to be one of the cheapest plus they're quick with delivery and reliable. Anyone know where Avodart/Dutasteride is cheaper cos they're quoting 79 euros, equivalent to bout £52 or $79 for 30 days at 0.5mg dosage.

Cheers.

:lol:

pete2001

Reaction score
pete to Kebabman

Kebabman,

Best place I have seen is http://www.internationalpharmacy.com which sells 100 pills for around £190 (approx £60 a months) which is as good as I have seen. Hope you guys are doing ok, I've not been in here a while!

For the record, I've been on Dutasteride 1mg for about 3 months now using also Regaine 5% (once daily) and Follign (off and on). results are difficult to assess. While I have been shedding quite a bit (more than when I started Dutasteride), the hair on top seems pretty thick but temples seem *slightly* more receded. Anyway, it's very difficult to gauge results this early; I'll wait until 6 months and then a year to assess.

Good luck guys.

pete2001

Reaction score
Actually, International Pharmacy charge £171 for 100 pills working out at £51.30 a month, cheaper than QHI I believe.

Kebabman

Reaction score
Hi pete, really good to hear from you, thought you'd left the site for good. Funny but the days of the old site and the guys on there seem a long long time ago, but people move on etc, understandable. Don't know about you but actually preferred the layout of the old site, was easier to get around.

So things going well on top? Anymore hair transplant's planned? Am off to Florida again next week for 3rd and last time hopefully. 6 months on from second lot of 1650 grafts and must say results been a bit slow. At what point do the new grafts really come through thick and strong? Always thought it was the 5 to 6 month stage? Really don't want to be going to States for a 4th time, only so many reasons but the truth you can tell people!

Good to hear from you pete2001 you always have a good knowledge and constructive views to add on any topic.

pete2001

Reaction score
Kebabman,

Good to hear from you too and good luck in the US. I am scheduled for my final hair transplant surgery in mid April with Hasson & Wong (in Vancouver). They too do excellent work and I am going for about 1,500 grafts to the frontal/mid section. Should make everything look pretty good when finished.

As for the growth of grafts, I think you need to wait at LEAST 8 months before you assess. A rule of thumb is that 80% of grafts will have grown after 8 months. You can speed up growth with SOD's (like Folligen) and also Regaine. But you really need to give it 8 months before you assess. Growth can be painfully slow sometimes, depends on your body.

Stick with Avodart too and give that at least 6-12 months. We all know it does everything that Propecia does plus about 50% more so it's not like it's some untested product that may not work.

Good luck mate and keep us posted on here as to your progress. I'll be checking in frequently.

(PS: I preferred the old layout too)

Kebabman

Reaction score
Pete 2001,

Thought you'd done your last lot of hair transplant's? What will that make it in total, graft wise? Yea, I'm using 1.25mg Proscar, Regaine at night and use Nizoral every other day now. Do you think at a Norwood 5A that a total of 5500 grafts be enough for good dense coverage?

Cheers Pete, appreciate the input, will give you/the site a shout on my return in early April and let you know how it's gone.

Take care,

K-Man.

P.S Didn't we once say with Troy was it or Crazydiamond we'd all meet up when we've beaten this baldness nightmare and have a weekend on the lash? Well we should do it one day.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
Are you guys switching to dutasteride cause finasteride was unsucessful or simply want change?

X

Kebabman

Reaction score
Distressed,

Not ordered Dutasteride from them, always order Proscar through them. Got no problems with them, always arrives withing a week, they're based in Uk, so am I, so not got any gripes with them to date.

Wasssuuupppppp??

pete2001

Reaction score
13 weeks on 1mg Dutasteride (plus minoxidil and Folligen)

Well guys I have now been on 1mg Dutasteride, 5% Minoxidil (once daily) and Folligen (once daily) for 13 weeks and results are no different to when I was on Finasteride 5mg per day (which I was using with 100mg oral spironolactone off and on too). I am still losing a little hair, not a great deal. Nothing really worse, but nothing really better either. Perhaps Finasteride plus oral spironolactone is no better in terms of DHT reduction that Dutasteride alone so by dropping spironolactone and swapping Finasteride for Dutasteride, I am not really improving things. But my results have been pretty minimal so far. I am also hoping that Bryan's assertion that 91% of growth comes within 3 months won't apply to 1mg or 0.5mg daily as it did with 2.5mg. Otherwise I am not likely to improve much from here.

I may consider adding 100mg oral spironolactone to 1mg Dutasteride, 5% Regaine and Folligen. spironolactone does dampen the sex drive and I know many don't agree it helps. But it is an anti-androgen and will *certainly* help to mop up any extra testosterone caused by Dutasteride (which rises over 100% in the scalp) and protect the follicles from any remaining DHT (by competitively binding to the receptor site within the dermal papilla). Problem with spironolactone is the side-effects and I wouldn't recommend anyone else use it.

By the way Kebabman, 5,500 grafts should give a good density certainly. Good luck with your surgery and keep us all posted as to how it goes...

Stingray

Reaction score
Wow, take a picture of yerself when you grow titties. I think a nice black lace bra would look OH so sexy! Seriously though, you SURE you want to mess with your hormones that much? The body will seek to balance itself, and with that, it would probably end up using estrogens or progesterones. spironolactone is kinda potent y'know. Good luck and wear those b**ch-tits proud holmes :p

pete2001

Reaction score
Dutasteride alone *probably* won't cause gyno. It actually raises serum testosterone levels around 20% (still within normal levels). 100mg spironolactone is not a big dose and may help to offset the rising T levels. The problem is estrogen which rises anyway with Dutasteride. I may not start spironolactone again, am debating it. But I'll stay on Dutasteride.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
pete2001 said:
Dutasteride alone *probably* won't cause gyno. It actually raises serum testosterone levels around 20% (still within normal levels). 100mg spironolactone is not a big dose and may help to offset the rising T levels. The problem is estrogen which rises anyway with Dutasteride. I may not start spironolactone again, am debating it. But I'll stay on Dutasteride.

You wanna make a bet? Telo, where are you? Tell this guy what Propecia did to you, and that was only 1 of the two DHT inhibiting properties of dutasteride!

XL

pete2001

Reaction score
XL,

If you don't mind me saying, just because ONE patient has experienced gyno doesn't mean everyone or infact anyone else will. You can read the clinical side-effects of Dutasteride and Finasteride (approved by the FDA) and gyno is present in a VERY small percentage. I have been on the message boards for about 4 years now and can count the number of people who have complained of gyno on one hand pretty much. I have been on Propecia since 99 (and now on Avodart) and I have never had it. I think it is a very rare side-effect, not something to be overly concerned with. Remember also that Dutasteride actually *increases* testosterone levels so gyno is highly unlikely.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
pete2001 said:
XL,

If you don't mind me saying, just because ONE patient has experienced gyno doesn't mean everyone or infact anyone else will. You can read the clinical side-effects of Dutasteride and Finasteride (approved by the FDA) and gyno is present in a VERY small percentage. I have been on the message boards for about 4 years now and can count the number of people who have complained of gyno on one hand pretty much. I have been on Propecia since 99 (and now on Avodart) and I have never had it. I think it is a very rare side-effect, not something to be overly concerned with. Remember also that Dutasteride actually *increases* testosterone levels so gyno is highly unlikely.

As true as that may be, I have gyno from Propecia and dutasteride is a hell of a lot stronger.My mammogram tomorrow will prove that all this bullshit from everyone from my wife,to my GP,parents and a few on these boards saying it's all in my(and others heads) are wrong.The increase in Test is the problem.It turns to estrogen.

dis

Reaction score
MrTelogen said:
pete2001 said:
XL,

As true as that may be, I have gyno from Propecia and dutasteride is a hell of a lot stronger.My mammogram tomorrow will prove that all this bullshit from everyone from my wife,to my GP,parents and a few on these boards saying it's all in my(and others heads) are wrong.The increase in Test is the problem.It turns to estrogen.

Just thought I would add some feedback. When I was on propecia for about a year, I noticed gyno as well. Once I got off it, my chest size returned to normal. Also, I should note that I was on Propecia on various dosages from .2 mg to 1 mg back to .2 mg throughout that year.

Stingray

Reaction score
I wonder if this guy knows that testosterone in it's base form has absolutely ZERO effect on hairloss. It's DHT that's the culprit. If you soak up all the testosterone, then you have a deficiency of the hormone that essentially makes you male. So, the body will fill up those spaces with other hormones, and more than likely they will be estrogens. spironolactone is hands down one of the strongest anti-androgens. Dutasteride is another one of em I'm guessing. Trans-gender patients are put on finasteride/spironolactone treatments to remove androgens from the body. I hope you'll put 2 and 2 together and realize that your hair ain't important enough to risk losing your masculinity. But if you do choose to do so. Wear those titties proud mang! You earned em ;)

Oh, and sorry to burst your bubble, sweetheart. Anti-androgens will TEMPORARILY increase testosterone in the first weeks/months of treatment due to this fact: When the enzymes 1-5AR and 2-5AR stop creating Dihydrotestosterone from regular testosterone, in the first several weeks of treatment, the body is still producing the same amount of testosterone as it was before, only now it's not being transformed into it's evil step-brother DHT. So, there is no physical INCREASE of testosterone, just a higher concentration of it as opposed to the testosterone/DHT that was in the system a month or so before. To put it simple, DHT is not being produced from the allocated amount of testosterone that was produced solely for this cause. That testosterone will slowly stop being produced since the body won't need it anymore. So in effect, you are actually IMPEDING the production of testosterone in the long run. The more anti-androgens....the less testosterone.

I did my homework last night :D