Dutasteride

Troymaclure

Established Member
Reaction score
let the man take what he wants without taking the piss eh guys...I've known Pete a long time he's not some dumb-f*** so stop treating him like one - i'll reiterate his point...just because one person gets gyno from one thing doesn't mean another WILL from something else

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
Guys are confusing the term gyno..

You guys who are getting bigger chests, and fattier and swollen nips w/ finasteride usage are not getting REAL gyno. You're getting some fat deposits and such due to increased estrogen, but no real breast tissue.. that's why it goes away when you discontinue treatment. If it was real gyno, it would only be reversible via surgery.. sorry to rain on your parade.

Telo, If the gyno is bothering you that much, then get off propecia and your chest will go back to normal within 6 months.

Pete has been here a long time and knows what he's talking about. I don't really agree with oral spironolactone usage but he seems fairly tolerant to side effects so he can do it, while many of us others cannot. That's his perogative and he's not pushing his regimen on anyone else, he's just giving us an update with his regimen and future plans, so everyone chill the f*ck out.

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
Telo, If the gyno is bothering you that much, then get off propecia and your chest will go back to normal within 6 months.
Yes, I know that it will go away if I quit finasteride.I'm waiting to see what today's mammogram results are.Besides, I do not want to lose my hair and that's why I have been dealing with this for close to 12 months now.Something you said confuses me a bit.I know that fatty nips are not true gyno, however a lump of any size is, isn't it?Lumps have gone away after people have quit finasteride use as well, so wouldn't that mean that thier gyno went away?

MrTelogen

Established Member
Reaction score
You wanna make a bet? Telo, where are you? Tell this guy what Propecia did to you, and that was only 1 of the two DHT inhibiting properties of dutasteride!
Hey X, I did not see this post Sat. Many people get fatty nips and think it's true gyno, but it's not really.It's hard for some people to know what's going on.I have complained on and off about pain in my left nip for some time now.Many have discounted what I have said but a lump is a lump and pain is pain.The % of men that get gyno and other lasting side effects is small and I always tell new people to go for it and use Propecia anyway because it probably will not happen to them.I joke about bras and such to help myself deal with this situation, not to upset anyone.

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
pete2001 said:
XL,

If you don't mind me saying, just because ONE patient has experienced gyno doesn't mean everyone or in fact anyone else will. You can read the clinical side-effects of Dutasteride and Finasteride (approved by the FDA) and gyno is present in a VERY small percentage. I have been on the message boards for about 4 years now and can count the number of people who have complained of gyno on one hand pretty much. I have been on Propecia since 99 (and now on Avodart) and I have never had it. I think it is a very rare side-effect, not something to be overly concerned with. Remember also that Dutasteride actually *increases* testosterone levels so gyno is highly unlikely.

Of course I won’t mind your opinions. That's what a message forum is for, people must speak their minds. I made reference to MrT because he was one case of gyno while on finasteride, only providing evidence that the possibility of it was present and not to be underscored. With Dutasteride, you would only imagine the chances being greater since 100% DHT inhibition is taking place, causing more testosterone to be exposed to estrogen conversion. Results = *Very Probable* Gyno.

MrTelogen said:
Hey X, I did not see this post Sat. Many people get fatty nips and think its true gyno, but it's not really. It’s hard for some people to know what's going on. I have complained on and off about pain in my left nip for some time now. Many have discounted what I have said but a lump is a lump and pain is pain. The % of men that get gyno and other lasting side effects is small and I always tell new people to go for it and use Propecia anyway because it probably will not happen to them. I joke about bras and such to help myself deal with this situation, not to upset anyone.

I totally agree. Everyone that is considering a dutasteride or finasteride regimen must feel totally comfortable and confident in its effectivity and low % of side-effects. I just thought of mentioning your case since you were a legitimate case of Gyno caused by finasteride and you had mammograms to prove the estrogen spikes.

Take care guys,

X

pete2001

Reaction score
Stingray said:
I wonder if this guy knows that testosterone in it's base form has absolutely ZERO effect on hairloss. It's DHT that's the culprit.]

Perhaps not true XL, take a look at this study:

"Roles of testosterone in the growth of keratinocytes through bald frontal dermal papilla cells.

Pan HJ, Uno H, Inui S, Fulmer NO, Chang C.

Department of Pathology, University of Rochester Medical Center, NY 14642, USA.

A coculture of dermal papilla cells (DPCs) from the bald frontal scalp of stumptailed macaques with keratinocytes derived from human neonatal foreskin revealed that testosterone inhibited keratinocyte proliferation, and that the antiandrogen RU58841 abolished this response. This testosterone-induced keratinocyte growth inhibition was not observed when either type of cells was cultured alone. We also examined conditioned media from the coculture system and demonstrated the identical testosterone-induced growth inhibition on keratinocytes, and this inhibitory effect was conditioned media concentration-dependent. These results suggested that the testosterone-mediated suppression on keratinocyte proliferation might proceed through some diffusible growth mediators in conditioned media. Differential display reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction allowed us to isolate several genes from frontal DPCs that can be either suppressed or induced by testosterone. Supervillin, a membrane-associated, F-actin-binding protein, was identified as one of the testosterone downregulated genes in frontal DPCs. Further characterization of these testosterone-target genes may reveal the mechanism by which testosterone inhibits the growth of follicular cells in androgenetic alopecia."

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
MrTelogen said:
Yes, I know that it will go away if I quit finasteride.I'm waiting to see what today's mammogram results are.Besides, I do not want to lose my hair and that's why I have been dealing with this for close to 12 months now.Something you said confuses me a bit.I know that fatty nips are not true gyno, however a lump of any size is, isn't it?Lumps have gone away after people have quit finasteride use as well, so wouldn't that mean that thier gyno went away?

That's correct. Fat is not gyno. The lumps are and usually go away after cessation. By the way, I used 200 mgs of oral spironolactone before Proscar came out for almost a year before I noticed any side effects. They went away when I lowered the dose to 100 mgs a day. I quit using it when I staeted taking Proscar. I am on Avodart now.

gc78

Reaction score
any results yet?

wondering if anyone's seen any results yet on dutasteride.
I've been on avodart .5mg a day for 4 months now. No hair loss, but then again I haven't had any loss in about 2 years (on propecia all that time) but definitely haven't noticed any regrowth.

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
Re: any results yet?

gc78 said:
wondering if anyone's seen any results yet on dutasteride.
I've been on avodart .5mg a day for 4 months now. No hair loss, but then again I haven't had any loss in about 2 years (on propecia all that time) but definitely haven't noticed any regrowth.

It's hard to say for me without actual hair counts. However, my hair seems a little thicker and I lose less in the drain after a shower. My scalp also feels better. 8)

X190

Established Member
Reaction score
I never said that workout eliminated gyno. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a condition caused by uneven hormone levels must be cured by the use of either a hormonal stimulant or depressant, or even hormones themselves. I added that workout is good because it rises healthy testosterone levels and just improves shape and heart health, thus allowing for a better environment for the hormonal medicine to do it's work. In MrT's case Arimidex.

XL

baldbrad

Reaction score
It has now been almost 6 mo's since Avodart has been available, but the only results posted anywhere on the net is from people taking for only 1-2 mo's........What gives?

Does anyone know where to find results from people taking for atleast 6 mo's?

Very curious as to lack of current posts regarding results of taking Avodart :oops:

baldbrad

Reaction score
Dear Chuck, Re: your posted link.....Those before and after photo's are over 1 &1/2 years old and came from GSK. Like I said, it seems really odd that Avodart has been on the market for 6 mo's and there is no posts from people using for atleast 6 months. One would think that if Avodart really works, sites like these would be loaded with results/ stories/ before and after photos. I am hoping to see some FRESH posts from people using Avodart since it has been on the market............ :?:

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
baldbrad said:
Dear Chuck, Re: your posted link.....Those before and after photo's are over 1 &1/2 years old and came from GSK. Like I said, it seems really odd that Avodart has been on the market for 6 mo's and there is no posts from people using for atleast 6 months. One would think that if Avodart really works, sites like these would be loaded with results/ stories/ before and after photos. I am hoping to see some FRESH posts from people using Avodart since it has been on the market............ :?:

It has been out since December. I don't know of anyone that has used it more than 4 months but I have seen posts elsewhere of several people using it..

gc78

Reaction score
what dosage is everyone using?

i'm sticking with .5 mg . Anyone going for higher? I'm past my 4 month mark and still no regrowth. no loss either but can't help being greedy. i want f*****g more hair. i'm considering going for the 2.5 mg a day if i don't have any regrowth soon. yeah it's expensive but if i grow hair like that dude in the photos than it'll be much cheaper than a hairtransplant

VoRteX

Established Member
Reaction score
.5mg is enough to almost completely inhibit DHT.

you could chop off your testicles and you're only going to grow back minimal hair. This has been proven. If you want significant regrowth, you need a stimulant like minoxidil or folligen

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
vortex72 said:
.5mg is enough to almost completely inhibit DHT.

you could chop off your testicles and you're only going to grow back minimal hair. This has been proven. If you want significant regrowth, you need a stimulant like minoxidil or folligen

Exactly. If you are in the very beginning stages, it may regrow what you have lost. There are always going to be a few excellent responders but most people will need a regrowth stimulant in addition to Avodart.

Jupiter

Reaction score
I'm VERY confused about dutasteride

:? I've been trying to research this med (new to this list btw) and I'm very confused. If I understand correctly, the idea is that Avodart is preferable to Propecia because it blocks more of the chemicals that contribute to hairloss. It seems that in the U.S. it was undergoing trials for release as a hairloss treatment, but those trials have stopped and the company is not planning on ever releasing it. Is this correct? Is it just a big mess? Am I better off just getting on Propecia? Are the side effects different?

What are the supposed advantages of Dutasteride over Finasteride and will it ever be available in the US as a hairloss treatment?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Stingray

Reaction score
Well, since Dutasteride completely inhibits the production of DHT, it has a higher chance of side effects than finasteride. And since reducing an androgen tends to feminize the body...it's possible that serious sexual related effects could occur. At least that's my take.

chuckfrasher

Reaction score
Re: I'm VERY confused about dutasteride

Jupiter said:
:? I've been trying to research this med (new to this list btw) and I'm very confused. If I understand correctly, the idea is that Avodart is preferable to Propecia because it blocks more of the chemicals that contribute to hairloss. It seems that in the U.S. it was undergoing trials for release as a hairloss treatment, but those trials have stopped and the company is not planning on ever releasing it. Is this correct? Is it just a big mess? Am I better off just getting on Propecia? Are the side effects different?

What are the supposed advantages of Dutasteride over Finasteride and will it ever be available in the US as a hairloss treatment?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Dutasteride has been released in the U.S. as Avodart for BPH. The safety profile is similar to propecia. It inhibits more 5AR and is more effective against hairloss.
Go to this link and scroll down to see a side by side comparison of dutasteride and Proscar.

http://www.dutasteride.org/dutasteride/ ... esults.htm