Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

Noble-OnHigh

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hairlosscure2020 users, hlscc got email from riken

“Regarding your inquiry, the joint research project that was announced in July is still in early stages of research. The work with hair follicle regeneration is led by the Laboratory for Organ Regeneration, but this is still work carried out in animal models. The team must now try to make their approach suitable for uses in humans. This requires a tremendous amount of time and effort. Before any method is established as treatment, it must also go through clinical research trials or clinical trials to confirm safety and efficacy of the procedure, and to receive approval from the appropriate regulatory organizations. Research, unfortunately, does not always progress as fast or as easy as one hopes, and thus it is difficult to confidently say when and if this join research will reach the stage that it can be used in humans.

The process they are proposing to use is taking a few hair follicle samples from a patient, extracting and isolate mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells from the hair follicles, and using a method that the lab developed to culture these two cell types to generate many follicular primordium, which will be transplanted into the hair loss area, using methods similar to current hair transplantation methods, and the transplanted follicular primordium should generate hair shafts.

We hope this helps answer your questions.

Sincerely,
Developmental Biology Planning Office (Research Communications)
RIKEN Center for Developmental Bi

2020 seems never coming

Tomtom21

Established Member
Reaction score
Everyone needs to remain calm boys! Dont get me wrong i want this by 2020 also but dont forget that they have yet to conduct human trials and 3 years is a blink of an eye for research. Only positives going for the 2020 release is its in Japan... As long as they dont experience delays in approval which took shiseido so long to get the trial rolling... And that they aim to have the clinical trial conducted by 2019. All in all im hopeful it comes out in 2020 but i wouldnt be surprised if it ends up being longer.. All that truly matters is if the method and technique are successful then it will undoubtably make it to market. Lets wait and see what tsuji has to say this week. If the method and culturing have been successfully done and they can mass produce viable trichogenic cells then 2020 is much more realistic! Fingers crossed

Noble-OnHigh

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

“Regarding your inquiry, the joint research project that was announced in July is still in early stages of research. The work with hair follicle regeneration is led by the Laboratory for Organ Regeneration, but this is still work carried out in animal models. The team must now try to make their approach suitable for uses in humans. This requires a tremendous amount of time and effort. Before any method is established as treatment, it must also go through clinical research trials or clinical trials to confirm safety and efficacy of the procedure, and to receive approval from the appropriate regulatory organizations. Research, unfortunately, does not always progress as fast or as easy as one hopes, and thus it is difficult to confidently say when and if this join research will reach the stage that it can be used in humans.

The process they are proposing to use is taking a few hair follicle samples from a patient, extracting and isolate mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells from the hair follicles, and using a method that the lab developed to culture these two cell types to generate many follicular primordium, which will be transplanted into the hair loss area, using methods similar to current hair transplantation methods, and the transplanted follicular primordium should generate hair shafts.

Sincerely,

2020 seems never coming

You can see hlscc' comment
http://www.hairlosscure2020.com/lis...-body-hair-to-head-hair-transplants/#comments

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score

Sincerely,

2020 seems never coming

Great news for Torin.
He must be popping the champagne now.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
extracting and isolate mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells from the hair follicles, and using a method that the lab developed to culture these two cell types to generate many follicular primordium

So, they got the hard part figured out already. There are still hurdles left, but nothing that should be insurmountable, especially with the financial partnership they have now. It could be figured out vertu quickly, but it's best not to raise hopes too high, because you never know what stumbling blocks could come up.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I really don't understand some of you guys.

Emailing these companies all the time makes absolutely no sense. All they're going to do is send you generic emails which are meant to be vague and purposefully lack information. Then you over-analyze every single word in them and jump to conclusions/assumptions which is precisely why they're tight-lipped.

All your doing is driving their staff members crazy. The only way you're going to get reliable information is by looking out for press releases, getting information from conferences or when a forum admin requests a one-on-one interview which is what HairLossTalk.com has been doing.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score

Sincerely,

2020 seems never coming

They're...basically just telling you what we already know and that they can't confidently say when it would be available. 2020 may be their target, but it is still a best case scenario.

Just wait for Tsuji's interview.

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
They're...basically just telling you what we already know and that they can't confidently say when it would be available. 2020 may be their target, but it is still a best case scenario.

Just wait for Tsuji's interview.
Any Idea when the interview will be published? This interview could be the most important interview in hairloss history

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I really don't understand some of you guys.

Emailing these companies all the time makes absolutely no sense. All they're going to do is send you generic emails which are meant to be vague and purposefully lack information. Then you over-analyze every single word in them and jump to conclusions/assumptions which is precisely why they're tight-lipped.

All your doing is driving their staff members crazy. The only way you're going to get reliable information is by looking out for press releases, getting information from conferences or when a forum admin requests a one-on-one interview which is what HairLossTalk.com has been doing.

A lot of the naysayers on basically all the hair loss forums have a very serious condition... it's like basketball fans totally sh*t on a player and discredit his entire career because his last game was off; essentially, you're only as good as your last game.

These people should not be taken seriously.

Edit: WOW, 4,000 POSTS!!! lol, i need a life.

Last edited:

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
A lot of the naysayers on basically all the hair loss forums have a very serious condition... it's like basketball fans totally sh*t on a player and discredit his entire career because his last game was off; essentially, you're only as good as your last game.

These people should not be taken seriously.

Edit: WOW, 4,000 POSTS!!! lol, i need a life.
Agreed, it's just mind boggling. I've had a bad day at work and a lack of common sense just puts me over the top sometimes. Nothing some whiskey can't fix though.

Congrats on 4,000 posts (you don't need a life you need some hair! Lol) and for contributing to this community. I can't wait for all of us to get some new viable treatments but especially senior members like yourself that contribute a lot.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey swoop.
Do you think hair will be extracted by harvesting a skin sample or do you think seperate follices can be extracted using a FUE type method.
Also do you think we are jumping the gun a bit here. This hasnt been proven on humans yet.
intercytex and aderans were hyped to be the cure after animal studies too and we all know how that ended

I think it will be a very small biopsy.

If they are able to culture these cells, which we will know soon hopefully through the interview we'll be doing with Tsuji, I think it will most likely work yes. The problem has always been culturing these cells. Intercytex/aderans already failed at that.

This science is as good as it gets imo, we couldn't wish for me. To underline again why I have this opinion.... Starting off, the hair follicle itself is a complex mini-organ no doubt. Androgenetic alopecia, seems to be extremely complex too. However what makes the hair follicle unique as an organ is two things;

- Regenerative capacity (like the liver)
- Plasticity

Perhaps in this sense we are pretty lucky with the hair follicle.... Because of these advantageous factors it's imo assumable that the hair follicle will be one of the first organs to pluck the fruits of organ regeneration. Dr. Higgins said it will in a recent presentation;

"There are a couple of tissues in the human body that regenerate and the most common one that people know about is the liver. The liver can regenerate, you can actually amputate up to 75% of your liver and it will regrow, not overnight, but it will regrow. Livers are obviously hard to get a hold off. A much more accessible tissue is the hair follicle. Now most people don't know this but the hair follicle does regenerate as well. The liver regenerates and so does the hair follicle.

Naamloos_8.jpg

This is a hair follicle here, you can amputate the bottom of the hair follicle. This region is the dermal papilla and in the course of a couple of weeks your hair follicle will regenerate. It will be slightly smaller but it will still have the same form as it would have originally and retain it's function that is producing a hair fiber.

This is a observation, it actually happens in vivo in humans.

This suggests something, namely that the hair follicle seems to have stem cells in both halves of the hair follicle that are capable of regenerating the hair follicle.

Now Tsuji takes stem cells from the upper halve (epithelial part, bulge) and the bottom halve (mesenchymal part, dermal papilla).

Add to this that in hair follicle cycling ,and in the creation of the hair follicle mesenchymal-epithelial interaction is playing a central role.

It must work :p!

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the thing about that cookie-cutter corporate response.

Especially over the internet, speaking to random people and when the alliance was announced just one month ago - they are not going to make any sort of promise because it's far too soon for that. It's pretty obvious that they feel their 2020 release date is possible given that press release and its update. However, they cannot guarantee that they can meet that goal. If they tell anyone "Oh yeah, for sure it will be out then", you're in big trouble if you don't meet that exact date.

Honestly, I'd expect even Tsuji to give a similar answer at this point.

Yeah, it could take 4 years or it could take 14 - that's always been the case. However, given the solid science as well as the zeal and confidence of Kyocera and the gold mine this procedure would be, I still think it's realistic to say we'll see this happen sooner rather than later.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is the thing about that cookie-cutter corporate response.

Especially over the internet, speaking to random people and when the alliance was announced just one month ago - they are not going to make any sort of promise because it's far too soon for that. It's pretty obvious that they feel their 2020 release date is possible given that press release and its update. However, they cannot guarantee that they can meet that goal. If they tell anyone "Oh yeah, for sure it will be out then", you're in big trouble if you don't meet that exact date.

Honestly, I'd expect even Tsuji to give a similar answer at this point.

Yeah, it could take 4 years or it could take 14 - that's always been the case. However, given the solid science as well as the zeal and confidence of Kyocera and the gold mine this procedure would be, I still think it's realistic to say we'll see this happen sooner rather than later.

Companies often join forces to reap the rewards many years and even decades into the future. Call it an investment strategy.

Just because Kyocera's machinery may be ready by 2018, doesn't mean Riken's larger share of work will be.

I'm not being negative, I'm just looking at things as they are. Remember there are still many people who think a cure for balding is impossible. I think it is a real possiblilty with Riken.

But you must realise that creating an injector type device is much easier than figuring out how to manipulate complex cells in such a way to grow hair (Riken's side of the work).

With a little luck, Dr. Tsuji will be able to either confirm or finally put to bed the speculated 2020 release date.

Bill Sussman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think a big company like kyocera is gambling on a wing and a prayer here. Is 2020 gonna happen? that is a definite maybe. Either way, the fact that they are making the equipment could mean there is a good chance they have overcome many of the hurdles that we are all talking about here regarding manipulating the cells, which means the next questions will only be answered by the time clinical research has been conducted. Until then everything else is just speculation, so quit being so pessimistic, eh?

Bill Sussman

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's a good sign also they are not guaranteeing anything. When companies guarantee sh*t at a certain time making bizarre claims, I get skeptical, because it seems more like a sales pitch. The humble nature of Tsuji is a good sign for us all, which means he won't release a product for the sole sake of trying to make money. Tsuji will not take any shortcuts, and he will make sure that the best possible product is available for us. We are lucky that he is studying hair regeneration.

Blackber

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don't think a big company like kyocera is gambling on a wing and a prayer here. Is 2020 gonna happen? that is a definite maybe. Either way, the fact that they are making the equipment could mean there is a good chance they have overcome many of the hurdles that we are all talking about here regarding manipulating the cells, which means the next questions will only be answered by the time clinical research has been conducted. Until then everything else is just speculation, so quit being so pessimistic, eh?
You bring up a good point.

If Kyocera is starting to develop proprietary equipment for this treatment that would lead you to believe they've made progress overcoming the scientific hurdles.

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
I don't even care about the 2020 speculation.
All I want is a proof of concept on a human scalp. If they can show us one study in which implanted cells maintained their trichogenecity and succesfully sprouted hairs on a slick nw7 scalp, then we can all be reassured and count down the years until commercialization.

Grasshüpfer

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes 100%. That is my single question. Show one transplanted follicle grow hair on a nw7 and it's just a matter of time.