Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

Joxy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not going to happen. They will be one of the ones performing the procedure when it is eventually approved in America.
Stem cells therapies will need highly educated and trained doctors, so believe me that 95% of hair transplant doctors will not perform these kind of treatments.

Actually, I don’t believe that even highly educated doctors can perform Tsuji procedure without being trained personally by him.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stem cells therapies will need highly educated and trained doctors, so believe me that 95% of hair transplant doctors will not perform these kind of treatments.

Actually, I don’t believe that even highly educated doctors can perform Tsuji procedure without being trained personally by him.
The doctors aren't going to be manipulating cells. The skin sample is sent to Kyocera, cultured, then sent back to the doctor as a germ(s) to be implanted into the scalp. It takes less skill than a hair transplant. There's no process of making the scars undetectable or having to be careful how much hair to take. This can all be found in the business model that Kyocera released.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vincent777", post: 1357272, membReplicel is claiming that it will be for hair restoration too. Histogen also as well as CB, Where did you read it will only be for maintaining?[/QUOTE]
i meant:
maintaining = stop and slight improvement
restoration = refill bald spots

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Vincent777", post: 1357272, membReplicel is claiming that it will be for hair restoration too. Histogen also as well as CB, Where did you read it will only be for maintaining?
i meant:
restoration = refill bald spots[/QUOTE]

nobody but homies in forums have claimed replicel is for maintaining... Until their results from testing this year are released nobody knows for certainty whether it will be for restoration or maintenance.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
i meant:
restoration = refill bald spots

nobody but homies in forums have claimed replicel is for maintaining... Until their results from testing this year are released nobody knows for certainty whether it will be for restoration or maintenance.[/QUOTE]

No, RepliCel has clearly stated in both that video on their site as well as via the Phase 1 trial that their technology is using dermal sheath cup cells to rejuvenate the damaged hair follicles. It is also hoped that the cells could induce formation of new hair, but that part is yet unconfirmed.

thomps1523

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, all this time I actually thought that Replicel is supposed to restore some hair as well. They meant only to revive damage hair follicles? Which means if your hair root is dead then you're pretty much fucked.

nobody but homies in forums have claimed replicel is for maintaining... Until their results from testing this year are released nobody knows for certainty whether it will be for restoration or maintenance.

No, RepliCel has clearly stated in both that video on their site as well as via the Phase 1 trial that their technology is using dermal sheath cup cells to rejuvenate the damaged hair follicles. It is also hoped that the cells could induce formation of new hair, but that part is yet unconfirmed.[/QUOTE]

So just out of curiosity if replicel has stated that follicles have a state of no return, why do they keep their video for reference on the science of the procedure up? It clearly shows the goal is full restoration... If it is just to rejuvenate damaged follicles, and bald areas likely have follicles that cannot return why do they keep marketing as a full restoration technique?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
@hellouser @Swoop Please chime in to resolve this confusion.

Truthfully, I don't know and they don't know either. They might hypothesize, but that's all they can do. The trials will give them and us the final answer.

Hoffman probably said that he deems Androgenetic Alopecia to be irreversible at a certain time point, but almost every scientist will probably give you that answer.

InBeforeTheCure

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yup. Tsuji's method is the holy grail for regrowth, but in theory, the best treatment is to just immunize your follicles so balding stops. That way, people can just get the treatment as soon as hair loss is noticed and potentially get something like Tsuji's in areas where they want more density. Who knows how far off that kind of treatment would be, but it would likely kill some of the regrowth market.

Cloning is the holy grail for regrowth, gene therapy (AR knockout) is the holy grail for maintenance.

mikes23

Reaction score
1) I want to know if tsuji method will work on people who’ve had hair transplants. We know people who had hair transplants are not at the same density prior to losing their hair, probably at 50 hairs per cm or less, so if you injected the cells into those hair transplant areas will the hair grow to make the density back up to 100 per sq cm? im assuming it will work by hair transplant hairs if it works on people who have diffused hairs, unless it doesn’t work in areas with scar tissue.
2) which brings me to my next question. Will his method be able to grow hair through scars.
3) lastly what happens if you do inject these cells into areas with hair? Could it cause shock loss like hair transplant can.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
mik: 1358068 said:
1) I want to know if tsuji method will work on people who’ve had hair transplants. We know people who had hair transplants are not at the same density prior to losing their hair, probably at 50 hairs per cm or less, so if you injected the cells into those hair transplant areas will the hair grow to make the density back up to 100 per sq cm? im assuming it will work by hair transplant hairs if it works on people who have diffused hairs, unless it doesn’t work in areas with scar tissue.
2) which brings me to my next question. Will his method be able to grow hair through scars.
3) lastly what happens if you do inject these cells into areas with hair? Could it cause shock loss like hair transplant can.

pls extend question 1 to implanting the primordia into scar tissue, both in recipient and donor areas.

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Some info (dunno if posted already);

“Regarding your inquiry, the joint research project that was announced in July is still in early stages of research. The work with hair follicle regeneration is led by the Laboratory for Organ Regeneration, but this is still work carried out in animal models. The team must now try to make their approach suitable for uses in humans. This requires a tremendous amount of time and effort. Before any method is established as treatment, it must also go through clinical research trials or clinical trials to confirm safety and efficacy of the procedure, and to receive approval from the appropriate regulatory organizations. Research, unfortunately, does not always progress as fast or as easy as one hopes, and thus it is difficult to confidently say when and if this join research will reach the stage that it can be used in humans.

The process they are proposing to use is taking a few hair follicle samples from a patient, extracting and isolate mesenchymal stem cells and epithelial stem cells from the hair follicles, and using a method that the lab developed to culture these two cell types to generate many follicular primordium, which will be transplanted into the hair loss area, using methods similar to current hair transplantation methods, and the transplanted follicular primordium should generate hair shafts.

We hope this helps answer your questions.

Sincerely,
Developmental Biology Planning Office (Research Communications)
RIKEN Center for Developmental Biology

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The team must now try to make their approach suitable for uses in humans. This requires a tremendous amount of time and effort.
Is it just me or does this make it sound like they solved the problem with culturing the epithelial buldge cells?

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it just me or does this make it sound like they solved the problem with culturing the epithelial buldge cells?

It sounds to me like they are in the early stages and any possible treatment won't be available into well into the 2020s.

This email makes it sound like it's 2024-26 all over again, which is what was originally assumed before the Kyocera announcement. That got a lot of people in a flap thinking the treatment might be ready by 2020 - even though Dr. Tsuji said a number of times (as recently as this year) that 2020 was the year he hoped to start clinical trials.

Of course it would take Kyocera a shorter amount of time to complete their smaller share of responsibilities.

We don't know who wrote the email or how much they really know about the work. Let's wait to see what Dr. Tsuji has to say in the interview.

Last edited:

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
Some info (dunno if posted already);
Hey swoop.
Do you think hair will be extracted by harvesting a skin sample or do you think seperate follices can be extracted using a FUE type method.
Also do you think we are jumping the gun a bit here. This hasnt been proven on humans yet.
intercytex and aderans were hyped to be the cure after animal studies too and we all know how that ended

Billy-D2016

Reaction score
I don't think it tells us anything except that it's a challenge. We've know they've been able to grown hair on mice since 2012 and earlier.
When will the Tsuji interview be published. I would feel much better if Dr Tsuji said he is aiming for a 2020 release. Until then i just cant buy it. Reason being i fell for it before with intercytex which should have been out in 2010..
I just hope Dr Tsuji is different..

NorwoodGuardian

Established Member
Reaction score
It sounds to me like they are in the early stages and any possible treatment won't be available into well into the 2020s.

This email makes it sound like it's 2024-26 all over again, which is what was originally assumed before the Kyocera announcement. That got a lot of people in a flap thinking the treatment might be ready by 2020 - even though Dr. Tsuji said a number of times (as recently as this year) that 2020 was the year he hoped to start clinical trials.

Of course it would take Kyocera a shorter amount of time to complete their smaller share of responsibilities.

We don't know who wrote the email or how much they really know about the work. Let's wait to see what Dr. Tsuji has to say in the interview.

Is you again. Please tell all the HairLossTalk.com bro here what's your purpose of naysaying everthing?
Tsuji - you always lead people to think it's very far away and many obstacles
Brotzu lotion & Histogen - you doubt everything
In a 50:50 situation you will definitely choose the nagative side and for every potential treatment.
I know what you will say: I just don't want you guys hype about things that with no solid evidence brah brah brah.....
You're clearly a SHILL! Or at least you have some interests in hair loss industry which makes you non-stop spreading negative comments.
Don't be naive, do you think your few words can make us desperate enough to book a hair transplant tomorrow?
Give up hair transplant shill, go back to your BTT.