Dr. Tsuji Kyocera, Riken Research, Organ Technologies Form Regenerative Hair Research Team

constrictedvoid

Established Member
Reaction score
I have written a article too about this; https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/new-research/kyocera-regenerative-hair-loss-treatment/

Nothing new though.

Still the observation of cutting a hair follicle in half and the fact that it can and does often regenerate is just very powerful.

hairfollicle.jpg

If you cut a hair follicle like that, you will have on the upper part the bulge (epithelial stem cells) and on the bottom the dermal papilla (mesenchymal stem cells). These 2 types of stem cells is what Dr. Tsuji is going to use.

Now you implant one part in the scalp and the hair follicle regenerates the other portion.

Also this one is pretty important if it is true;

Remember though he didn't culture these cells in that experiment thus he didn't had to cope with loss of gene expression through culture.

This must and will work ;).

Doesn't Gho claim to do exactly that, but without good evidence?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doesn't Gho claim to do exactly that, but without good evidence?

No. This is a horizontal cut. Gho does something completely different. What Gho uses is simply a very small punch and then punches out the hair follicle.. A vertical cut. Like this;

How can you ever be accurate like that to leave behind a part of the bulge or bulb? You can't. If you look at the pictures how he punches out the hair follicles;

EA_032_circled.jpg

I see pretty much a intact bulb there and a bulge.... Just very trimmed down grafts. Besides even if you read that study which uses a exact horizontal cut of the hair follicle under a microscope it only regenerates 70-75% of the time or so. It's non-practical in a clinical setting.

And Gho well he claims much but never provides any evidence o_O:confused:.

Last edited:

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have written a article too about this; https://www.hairlosstalk.com/news/new-research/kyocera-regenerative-hair-loss-treatment/

Nothing new though.

Still the observation of cutting a hair follicle in half and the fact that it can and does often regenerate is just very powerful.

hairfollicle.jpg

If you cut a hair follicle like that, you will have on the upper part the bulge (epithelial stem cells) and on the bottom the dermal papilla (mesenchymal stem cells). These 2 types of stem cells is what Dr. Tsuji is going to use.

Now you implant one part in the scalp and the hair follicle regenerates the other portion.

Another one saying the same (here a decrease in diameter was observed though)

2879_image1237.jpg

Also this one is pretty important if it is true;

Remember though he didn't culture these cells in that experiment thus he didn't had to cope with loss of gene expression through culture.

This must and will work ;).
Does that mean that someone with absolutely no hair could still benefit from this?

Swoop

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does that mean that someone with absolutely no hair could still benefit from this?

Well what I tried to show is how flexible the hair follicle is as a whole. That's why Dr. Tsuji his method has a very high chance of succeeding imo.

Dr. Tsuji his method will still require a sample of your own head. But yeah hypothetically it should be possible to use someone his cells for your own without any rejection or using any immune suppressants.

However, the intriguing possibility that heterologous (allogeneic) hair follicle tissue could be developed for tissue transplantation exists, based on the concept that the hair follicle is an immune-privileged site that does not express MHC (major histocompatibility complex) class I antigens.

I don´t know if that Jahoda experiment is true though.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well what I tried to show is how flexible the hair follicle is as a whole. That's why Dr. Tsuji his method has a very high chance of succeeding imo.

Dr. Tsuji his method will still require a sample of your own head. But yeah hypothetically it should be possible to use someone his cells for your own without any rejection or using any immune suppressants.

I don´t know if that Jahoda experiment is true though.
Thanks for always replying to my dumbass questions. You contribute a whole lot to this site.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding the post about "The trio is expected to make a final decision on the feasibility of the new therapy following a scrutiny of its costs and other factors."

This is one of those mandatory things, but they wouldn't have made the deal and publicly announced the team-up etc. if they didn't feel they could do it. They'll find a way to make it work because the payoff would inevitably be greater than the expense given the sheer number of customers you'll have.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's difficult to imagine how Dr. Tsuji could keep doing his day job as researcher/team leader at Riken if this were to materialise.

He would probably need to commit himself completely to this treatment and the business model for the foreseeable future. The thing is, he is also very interested in developing livers and other different types of organs.

But this hair project is going to be a huge commitment by itself and for it to work they are going to need him every step of the way.

What I'm trying to say is I hope he gives the hair project however long it takes and doesn't get bored and move on to other things.

hilbert

Established Member
Reaction score
It's difficult to imagine how Dr. Tsuji could keep doing his day job as researcher/team leader at Riken if this were to materialise.

He would probably need to commit himself completely to this treatment and the business model for the foreseeable future. The thing is, he is also very interested in developing livers and other different types of organs.

But this hair project is going to be a huge commitment by itself and for it to work they are going to need him every step of the way.

What I'm trying to say is I hope he gives the hair project however long it takes and doesn't get bored and move on to other things.

so we should try to entertain him and put some spice in his life, so he'll stay committed on this project!

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
so we should try to entertain him and put some spice in his life, so he'll stay committed on this project!

Pretty sure fat stacks of benji's will keep him more than entertained.

Pray The Bald Away

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

You worry way too much.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah probably. I really want this to work though like all of us here. If this doesn't materialise then we can say adios to a cloning "cure" for at least another generation.

That's a bit presumptuous considering there are still multiple other teams working on a cure. Dr. Lauster's team is not far behind.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know where the comment about Tsuji being the only one who could do this came from, but I'm positive that if he ever said that, he meant perfecting the process. Once they perfect it they can train anyone in the field to do it. He will have time to continue his research, and he will have the money to do whatever he wants.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know where the comment about Tsuji being the only one who could do this came from

No idea, but not necessarily false. Riken is government-funded, Kyocera is huge, etc. companies worth billions of dollars and access to more money than anyone else currently in this field. As it currently stands, they're the only companies with technology to create brand spankin' new follicles and they have the money and resources to commercialize it as far as we currently know.

Other companies could pick up his research, but people underestimate Kyocera in this deal. You need some company that can create the machines and what not to automate the process and I don't see other electronics manufacturers like Sony or Android getting into regenerative medicine machinery any time soon because no one gives a sh*t about Androgenetic Alopecia. Kyocera obviously believes they can develop such machines - which would likely be the first of their kind.

I'd very careful with the optimism that if the deal fell through it would easily be continued by another party. Because "could" and "would" aren't the same.

Once they perfect it they can train anyone in the field to do it

Again, "can" vs "will". It's very common that companies, especially in electronics, will patent or invent something, but then sit on it for years because it wasn't feasible at the time, but they don't want their competitors to finish it either.

I believe they'll do it, though, for reasons stated in my earlier post.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you missed the whole point of my post. The deal is already done. Do you really think it won't be profitable? If it works, it will be immensely profitable. It doesn't matter if no one else can make it happen, they aren't going to walk away from this gold mine. The point is that people are speculating it won't be feasible if the procedure can only be performed by Tsuji. Performing the procedure isn't the hard part, creating it is. They are already committed to creating the procedure. Once that's done anybody can perform it, thus make it very feasible and profitable.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think you missed the whole point of my post. The deal is already done. Do you really think it won't be profitable? If it works, it will be immensely profitable. It doesn't matter if no one else can make it happen, they aren't going to walk away from this gold mine. The point is that people are speculating it won't be feasible if the procedure can only be performed by Tsuji. Performing the procedure isn't the hard part, creating it is. They are already committed to creating the procedure. Once that's done anybody can perform it, thus make it very feasible and profitable. The only way this won't be feasible is if someone else comes out with a pill that grows back all your hair.

That Guy

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know they are committed and I said as much.

I'm just saying, the notion that it would simply be picked up by someone else if it were to dissolve for some baffling reason isn't an idea I'd put much stake in.

Torin

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dr. Tsuji doesn't give a rip about saving existing hairs lol. Or maybe he does but his expertise is geared towards making new organs.

Maybe the "ultimate" cure will be a combination of cloning (replacing hair transplant in a colossal way) and then optionally finasteride (or Brotzu lotion if it works) to keep alive and healthy the existing hairs (of which all Androgenetic Alopecia balders continue to have, either on the top, the sides or the back of their heads).

If Brotzu's lotion works as well as the Doctor says, it will clear the path towards the final piece in the puzzle which is cloning.

Hopefully Brotzu's lotion will effectively shut down the multitude of snakeoils that muddy the waters.

Cloning + finasteride (or Brotzu?) = cura ultimata

Last edited:

Follisket

Established Member
Reaction score
God help us all if a future cure is still dependant on finasteride; some cure castration is.
So yeah, fingers crossed for Brotzu, definitely.

jc3303

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't forget Replicel is promising to immunize hairs to the effects of DHT. If either replicel or brotzus lotion works the days of taking finasteride are over