Diet, lifestyle, the mind, and hair loss

s.a.f

Reaction score
:agree: With Bryan

treeshrew said:
this is like arguing that lifestyle and diet can prevent unwanted pregnancy. NO. girls take birth control pills (which also effect hormones) because the pills WORK just like finasteride (propecia/proscar).
I once knew a girl who actually belived that sh*t, she got pregnant at 17. :woot:
Its also the same as the infertile couples you hear about who seem to think that their infertility can be traced back to the fact that they had the occasional cigerette, and that taking some form of vitamin supplement with fix it all and make them able to concieve.

Hoppi

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
while i realize genetic alopecia is still a developing science, i think we've all learned that DHT inhibition (in the form of finasteride - propecia/proscar) is the only current and reliable medication to combat hair loss.

NOT diet, NOT lifestyle.

for the MILLIONTH time, I am not arguing that these alone will solve it (if I was, in my regimen you will see "ultra cool vegan super healthy diet and lots of vitamin tablets" and nothing else). The reason why I have Beta-sitosterol/Finasteride/Nizoral/DHT-blocking topical treatments in there is because I understand the role of genetics and DHT. But I also believe that a better diet and lifestyle will often reduce your levels of free testosterone, and increase your levels of SHBG, which is scientifically proven. I also believe as I say in my signature that "a healthy follicle is a happy follicle!" :) Meaning, the kinder YOU treat your follicles with nutrients, a good bloodflow and less sebum, the better equipped they will be to keep fighting throughout the rest of your regimen. But that's more an opinion and POV, I don't want to argue that one!

However, if you really want to keep arguing with me based on views I don't have anymore then go for it, but I won't be listening anymore.

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I've already explained that to you more than once, but you don't listen to what other people tell you. Until you learn to do that, you will continue to have these simple-minded, child-like theories of what causes balding that have no basis in fact.

You say that hair becomes more and more sensitive to androgens as time goes by, regardless of the fact that androgens decrease over time.

You say that estrogen is protective to the hair...right?

Well if estrogen is protective to the hair, shouldn't men be growing more and more hair as time went on? And shouldn't all teenage boys be bald as a bat?

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Bryan said:
I've already explained that to you more than once, but you don't listen to what other people tell you. Until you learn to do that, you will continue to have these simple-minded, child-like theories of what causes balding that have no basis in fact.

You say that hair becomes more and more sensitive to androgens as time goes by, regardless of the fact that androgens decrease over time.

Well if estrogen is protective to the hair, shouldn't men be growing more and more hair as time went on? And shouldn't all teenage boys be bald as a bat?

Good post misterE :bravo:

Hoppi

Reaction score
misterE said:
Bryan said:

This was one of the biggest persuasive factors I found for let-it-grow's thing that the gene is "switched on", perhaps by age or other factors. Although I suppose that many people START losing hair younger but it accelerates as they get older... god knows, it makes my mind boggle lol

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:

Yes.

misterE said:

Right.

misterE said:

No, dumbbell! The increase in sensitivity to androgens outpaces the increase in estrogen.

s.a.f

Reaction score
You cant argue with Bryan on this sh*t, he's undefeated so far.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:

Normally I enjoy a battle of wits, but not with someone who is UNARMED! :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
s.a.f said:

hehe I like misterE but I do like Bryan as well! It's really quite theatrical at points lol

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
hehe I like misterE but I do like Bryan as well! It's really quite theatrical at points lol

I know how Edward Teller would feel if he were trying to give a talk about nuclear physics, and some really annoying little kid (misterE) kept trying to tell him how a hydrogen bomb works, by saying that it's just a big firecracker! :laugh:

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Bryan said:
misterE said:

No, dumbbell! The increase in sensitivity to androgens outpaces the increase in estrogen.

Actually, it seems to me that they both happen at the same time...androgens decrease (androgen sensitivity increases) estrogens increase (no hair growth)!

What the heck?

It makes more sense to think that when androgens decrease the hair and prostate become more sensitive to estrogens...not androgens.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Actually, it seems to me that they both happen at the same time...androgens decrease (androgen sensitivity increases) estrogens increase (no hair growth)!

You'd be wrong, then! :) There's every reason to think that human scalp hair follicles change in a similar way to how stumptailed macaque hair follicles change -- and it's been clearly demonstrated that macaque scalp hair follicles are very resistant to androgens BEFORE puberty, but become much more sensitive to androgens AFTER puberty. I think that sensitivity continues to increase with age, in both humans and monkeys.

By the way, why did you phrase it that way above? "...androgens decrease (androgen sensitivity increases)..." As I've told you before, the sensitivity of hair follicles to androgens doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the level of androgens. Why do you keep saying things like that over and over?

misterE said:
It makes more sense to think that when androgens decrease the hair and prostate become more sensitive to estrogens...not androgens.

I strongly suggest that you stop going by what you THINK, and start going by what you find in the medical literature. Your instincts and judgement are clearly piss-poor.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Bryan said:
I strongly suggest that you stop going by what you THINK, and start going by what you find in the medical literature. Your instincts and judgement are clearly piss-poor.

Bryan I think it has to be said that, regardless of what more detailed conclusions one draws, many of the points misterE raises regarding diet, lifestyle and treatments are quite clever and effective! I mean, beta-sitosterol, flaxseeds, adequate exercise and a good diet to keep your hormones together and sebum production low. I mean I know people often disagree on the extent to which these have an effect, but I think most people with a reasonable degree of scientific and medical knowledge will agree they have some degree of impact :)

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
Bryan I think it has to be said that, regardless of what more detailed conclusions one draws, many of the points misterE raises regarding diet, lifestyle and treatments are quite clever and effective!

There's nothing "clever" or "effective" about what he says, especially considering the factually incorrect howlers he comes up with on a regular basis.

By the way, lots of people who post on hairloss sites think that diet and lifestyle can affect male pattern baldness, so misterE is by no means unique in that regard. Even _I_ think they can affect male pattern baldness, just not to anywhere nearly the same extent that he does (maybe 5% or so).

OverMachoGrande

Reaction score
Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn reversed atherosclerosis using diet.

Dr. Neal Barnard reversed diabetes with diet.

Dr. John McDougall reversed prostate enlargement and acne using diet.

Most "other" doctors say that there is no cure for any of these diseases, they say the only way to treat these diseases is by drugs.

Surly if you can reverse atherosclerosis, diabetes, prostate enlargement, and acne using diet...why not male pattern baldness?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
misterE said:
Surly if you can reverse atherosclerosis, diabetes, prostate enlargement, and acne using diet...why not male pattern baldness?

Hey, you can go even farther than that: some doctors even claim to have reversed CANCER with diet, so why can't you reverse balding? :)

By the way, misterE, why haven't you answered the question I asked you in my previous post? You seem to be terribly confused about what is meant by the general term "androgen sensitivity", and I want to see if I can explain it to you!

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
This topic is making me nervous, do not know who to believe :sobbing:

Hoppi

Reaction score
dpdr said:

hehe, I just pick and choose normally, and develop a view that's a mix of all different things I've heard that seem to "make sense" :)

moxsom

Established Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:

I'll give you a hint, go with people who actually read and UNDERSTAND medical literature.

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
dpdr said:

Bryan knows what he's talking about while misterE and Hoppi make up their own crazy theories without any scientifically background. If you want to keep losing hair then do what Hoppi and misterE say for the next year and then'll you will be even balder, if you want your hair to get better then you should do what was PROVEN by science.

misterE is spamming this forum with all the theories that he's making up and now Hoppi joined him. Honestly I don't understand how misterE is not banned already, with all his incorrect advices people lose more hair thanks to him...