Diet, lifestyle, the mind, and hair loss

Hoppi

Reaction score
I know this first post is long, feel free to just scan read whatever bits you like, if you do manage to get through it all though then thank you! :) I have also added an important edit at the end so please read that...

Ok now first off the bat, I would like to say that this thread is aimed 95% at people who do also believe that these things affect hair loss in males (as well as women, but that's for another thread), and who want to discuss this. If you do NOT believe that these things affect male hair loss, then please refrain from being unreasonably critical or dismissive, please don't post unless you have a true desire to learn, embrace science and logic, and be constructive. I really don't want to be fighting with anyone.

Ok, now I personally believe (and again, this is just MY view, I am entitled to it and it is the result of a LOT of research recently and soulsearching) that all three of these factors have a very measurable effect on hairloss. Indeed, I personally believe that for many people out there, it may well be the main or a deeply contributive factor. Yes, I also understand the impact of genes and accept that for many people hair loss is simply written into their genetic code, but this thread is not to discuss that.

First off, I would like to tackle the factor of diet. Now my diet recently has been sloppy and too high in key, negative components. I have been eating too much sugar, and far too much carbohydrate. Both of these raise my insulin levels, which lower the Sex Hormone-Binding Globulin in my blood, which means it cannot mop up my free testosterone. So this then becomes DHT which accumulates on my hair follicles. I do also believe that my hair follicles susceptibility to this (their overall tendency to accumulate DHT) is largely or possibly entirely genetic. I also believe that my natural hormone levels are partly influenced by my genes, and so depending what my normal levels of different hormones are, this can also affect my likelihood of losing hair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness_t ... _lifestyle

I am reconsidering my diet from the ground up. I will eat less meat, less dairy, less raw carbohydrate (pasta, bread etc, which I have been consuming in large amounts up until recently), less fat and less sugar. I will work more foods into my diet that stabilize or reduce my insulin and testosterone (such as generally "healthy" and light foods such as fruit and vegetables, and soya milk), just as an aid in lowering my DHT levels. I am going to completely rework my diet to balance my hormones and generally improve the health of my body. I have started taking multivitamin and omega 3 tablets, just to help things along :)

Now, lifestyle. I barely exercise. This is very good at unbalancing my hormones, and increasing my levels of mental tension. I would also imagine it hinders my blood flow. From now on, I will exercise preferably daily but certainly a few times a week, doing something I enjoy such as swimming or basketball :)

"Regular aerobic exercise can help keep androgen levels (particularly free testosterone levels) naturally lower while maintaining overall health, lowering stress and increasing SHBG.
SHBG has been found to be significantly lowered in men with hair loss before the age of 30." (from here )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness_t ... _lifestyle

Last on my list is the mind, it's general health and approach to day to day life. Stress (particularly long term) for example can cause the brain to trigger hormones that can influence the body's entire balance, such as Cortisol and Adrenaline. Depression can also probably trigger similar hormonal changes and what we would consider "imbalances" but as my problem really is anxiety, I haven't yet done any research into the effects of depression. My stress levels were probably throwing my whole body off, playing with my hormones and reducing my production of SHBG (which would again lead to an increase in free testosterone and therefore DHT). There are probably other factors also, I am unsure for example if it would have impacted the blood flow to my scalp. Cortisol for example has profound effects on much of the body and on other hormones. Managing my levels of mental tension is therefore a big goal for me and I am making basically life-changing decisions to better understand what will make me happy and stress-free.

I may also take a herbal supplement such as Rhodiala Rosea, Ashwaghanda or a bland of adaptogens to take the edge off my Cortisol levels.

In Baldness Folklore - " "Baldness can be caused by emotional stress, sexual frustration etc."
Emotional stress has been shown to accelerate baldness in genetically susceptible individuals.[28]
Stress due to sleep deprivation in military recruits lowered testosterone levels, but is not noted to have affected SHBG.[29]
Thus, stress due to sleep deprivation in fit males is unlikely to elevate DHT, which causes male pattern baldness. Whether it can cause hair loss by some other mechanism is not clear."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness#Baldness_folklore
(of course just folklore, but folklore represents many, many years of combined experience and wisdom)

I do believe that as a guy I am obviously more prone to DHT-induced hair loss, however I don't think my genetic background explains sufficiently to me what is going on here. Obviously I am aware it is probably relatively few genes and I could have inherited them, but my gut instinct is telling me that if I temporarily try to restore the small patches of recently lost hair and weak follicles, and lower my DHT for the time being with either natural remedies (natural 5-alpha reductase or DHT inhibitors most likely) or synthetic remedies such as mild Finasteride or Ketaconazole, I can keep the follicles happy while I work on balancing out my hormones once again :)

Now of course some people will agree, some will disagree with this, but like I said I would ideally like to keep this thread for constructive, scientifically-backed discussion, and preferably for those who DO believe that non-genetic factors such as these affect a man's chance of losing hair due to DHT in the scalp.

Thanks everyone, and I am feeling very, very confident right now that this is the best way to go :)

By the way thank you so much misterE, I may not agree with everything you say, and I do suspect you may be a LITTLE too keen to promote flat-out veganism ( :) !) but I also think that by and large you are on to something, not for all men, but for certainly a very significant number.

I can't wait to give my body the treatment it deserves and also to take better care of my follicles including keeping an eye on my DHT levels. I'm sure it will treat me better in return :)

A very happy and rejuvenated Hoppi! :)

lil EDIT -- If you do decide to attempt to combat hair loss using changes and rethinking of these factors, I would also recommend doing more direct things also to cap your DHT levels, such as taking Saw Palmetto extract (or Finasteride or whatever), using Ketaconazole shampoo topically etc etc :) It's a BIG problem, but it's fixable! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saw_palmet ... e_medicine

and to those who don't like Wikipedia, I say
2cftlpz.jpg
! Wikipedia is a great source of comprehensive, thorough and balanced info! Just take it all with a pinch of salt and back it up with other sources, that's all :)

EDIT -- Ok I believe there is one thing I may have overlooked that I have since learnt about in this thread. I was not aware of the concept of the genes representing a single or multiple hair follicle's DHT sensitivity, or readiness of making DHT, being "activated" at a certain point. The possibility is then raised that (possibly simply premature) activation could be triggered by poor diet, lifestyle or for example stress levels or depression, and the possibility of improving these later actually FIXING the problem (as opposed to just being an aid to more specific hormone regulation) is therefore more debatable. This is of course if the theory about gene activation is true (which does seem to sit well with what is observed in many people) and if it is impossible to then DE-activate it. There are many questions that medical science still cannot answer for certain.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Posts please! hehe :)

Sorry, I know long initial posts are capable of killing threads, but I don't really care if people have read it I just want to have a discussion!

What diet is best? What lifestyle is best? What do anxiety and depression do (and of course other things affecting the mind) and how can we turn them positive?

Hoppi!

s.a.f

Reaction score
Please not this again. :(

Hoppi

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Please not this again. :(

I personally believe I have largely brought hair loss on myself. I believe my genes may have made me slightly more susceptible, but I think I am lying in the bed I just made!!

I tend to be good at analyzing problems so I have faith in what I have put together here! ^_^

Hoppi

Reaction score
I changed this post, because again I really don't want to fight, I want this thread to be constructive and mainly for people who DO believe that these things play a role.

I think it's live and let live :) They're our own bodies, and it's up to us to come to our own conclusions about how best to treat them, and what we should put into them :)

let-it-grow

Established Member
Reaction score
Stress won't cause you to go bald, it CAN give you Telogen Effuvium (temporarily) or Alopecia Areata (temporarily), but since you said that your temples are receding then it isn't cause my stress - it's male pattern baldness.

Now, stress can make your male pattern baldness start sooner, also a vitamin deficiency can make your male pattern baldness trigger sooner. For example, instead of starting to lose hair at 40 you'll start to lose hair at 25 because you didn't eat well in the past or was too stressed. Many people with the male pattern baldness gene don't get bald, but you can wake this gene up by being very stressed and then you are screwed like everybody else here.

Your long theories don't make sense, aerobic exercise is the cure? Do you know how many athletes are bald? You can keep thinking that vegetables would make your hair immune to DHT but that's not true and while you're in denial you will lose more hair.

dpdr

Established Member
Reaction score
God posts guy :punk:

The night I'll read the whole topic

s.a.f

Reaction score
My grandfathers were NW6 my father is NW6 guess what I ended up as?
If I had a son guess what he would be?
Theres no doubt in my mind that any lifestyle changes would'nt have made even 1% difference in how my hair turned out, I've lived a healthy lifestyle since my teens (never smoked, excersied, excellent diet) so short of cutting off my own nads I cant see what else I could've done.
We are all slaves to our genetics the sensitivity of our follicles to DHT is something we are born with.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
My grandfathers were NW6 my father is NW6 guess what I ended up as?
If I had a son guess what he would be?
Theres no doubt in my mind that any lifestyle changes would'nt have made even 1% difference in how my hair turned out, I've lived a healthy lifestyle since my teens (never smoked, excersied, excellent diet) so short of cutting off my own nads I cant see what else I could've done.
We are all slaves to our genetics the sensitivity of our follicles to DHT is something we are born with.

I SERIOUSLY doubt that. What is your definition of a "healthy" diet? I bet it is very similar to what your father ate and what his father ate...

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
I just posted this in another thread.

You're being very vague. What do you mean by diet? A diet of what? If you ate nothing but soy, pomegranate, and pueraria mirifica, I'm sure you would regrow a lot of hair that was loss from male pattern baldness.

Eating a diet that consists of vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats (I don't agree with mistere about restricting protein) and is very low in sugar, sodium, fat, and cholesterol, is not going to reverse male pattern baldness once the gene has already been turned on. What it will do, is prevent the gene from being activated. A diet rich in fat and cholesterol causes more hormones to be produced.

So making feasible dietary changes (lowering fat, cholesterol, sugar, and sodium intake and increasing fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and moderate amounts of lean meat) will slow down the process due to a decrease in sex hormone production. To what degree is determined by the number of androgen receptors a person has in their hair follicles and how sensitive they are to androgens. THIS is what is predominantly determined by genetics (although I suspect that estrogen exposure decreases both the number of anrogen receptors and their sensitivity).

This talks about BPH being influenced by diet and lifestyle.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2004 ... dinalpos=2

LewdBear

Reaction score
baller234 said:
I SERIOUSLY doubt that. What is your definition of a "healthy" diet? I bet it is very similar to what your father ate and what his father ate...

Why do you want to believe so badly that diet significantly affects hair loss?

s.a.f

Reaction score
LewdBear said:
baller234 said:

Its called denial. The first thing people do when they realise they have hairloss is clutch at straws usually they blame stress first. They want to convince themselves that its something they can bring under control.

As a healthy diet I just meant low sugar/salt, low fat no additives and plenty of fruit and veg with a good amount of protien from meat fish and eggs.
As it happens my father and grandfather had poor lifestyles Drinking, smoking eating whatever junk they like the taste of.... and yet our hairloss followed the exact same patterns.

The only lifestyle choice that will effect your hairloss is the choice of wether or not you take finasteride.

s.a.f

Reaction score
baller234 said:
s.a.f said:

I SERIOUSLY doubt that.

Err its scientific fact, coded into our DNA like the shape/size of your nose or colour of your eyes/skin or wether your hair is curly or straight, light or dark. Or maybe you believe that eating wholegrains will also magicly alter all that aswell.

LewdBear

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Its called denial. The first thing people do when they realise they have hairloss is clutch at straws usually they blame stress first. They want to convince themselves that its something they can bring under control.

It's really weird that they can ignore such facts as : other primates go bald.

Yeah, all those chimps and stump-tailed macaques with their disgraceful dirty diets; all that tv and potato chips.. the lack of exercise.

Hoppi

Reaction score
First of all like I said I'm not trying to convince anyone, you don't need to feel you have to come here and grind my views down, I'm not going to talk to anyone who is doing that because that's not why I started the thread.

One thing I am interested in though is this idea of a gene "activating" - I was not aware of this. So when this happens, what happens then? Is this what causes the hair follicles to make the 5-alpha reductase enzyme in the first place? Is this what raises a persons DHT? Only the former really makes sense, but the gene has to DO something.

Hoppi

Reaction score
let-it-grow said:
Stress won't cause you to go bald, it CAN give you Telogen Effuvium (temporarily) or Alopecia Areata (temporarily), but since you said that your temples are receding then it isn't cause my stress - it's male pattern baldness.

Now, stress can make your male pattern baldness start sooner, also a vitamin deficiency can make your male pattern baldness trigger sooner. For example, instead of starting to lose hair at 40 you'll start to lose hair at 25 because you didn't eat well in the past or was too stressed. Many people with the male pattern baldness gene don't get bald, but you can wake this gene up by being very stressed and then you are screwed like everybody else here.

Your long theories don't make sense, aerobic exercise is the cure? Do you know how many athletes are bald? You can keep thinking that vegetables would make your hair immune to DHT but that's not true and while you're in denial you will lose more hair.

You are completely missing some of my points, please read my whole post before you start saying things like that (in the last paragraph) as I'm not quite sure who you are arguing with there but it's not me/my views.

The gene activation thing however is interesting like I said in my last post - so what does this gene do? I mean in real, scientific terms - trigger 5-alpha reductase creation in hair follicles?

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
LewdBear said:
baller234 said:

Why do you want to believe so badly that it doesn't?

Listen I'm not advocating a drop all treatments and focus only on diet philosophy. What I'm saying is diet DOES influence the amount of hormones you produce. If you want to treat your hair loss you need to take that into consideration. If you eat a diet that promotes excessive hormone production and lowers SHBG, you're just making it that much harder for your regimen to be effective.

baller234

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
LewdBear said:
baller234 said:

As a healthy diet I just meant low sugar/salt, low fat no additives and plenty of fruit and veg with a good amount of protien from meat fish and eggs.
As it happens my father and grandfather had poor lifestyles Drinking, smoking eating whatever junk they like the taste of.... and yet our hairloss followed the exact same patterns.

The only lifestyle choice that will effect your hairloss is the choice of wether or not you take finasteride.

I'm not denying anything. I acknowledge that genes dictate how sensitive our hair follicles are to androgens. What I'm trying to get through to you is that your hormone production ISN'T genetic. It's based on what you put into your body and the micro flora in your intestines.

Hoppi

Reaction score
baller234 said:
LewdBear said:
baller234 said:

Why do you want to believe so badly that it doesn't?

Listen I'm not advocating a drop all treatments and focus only on diet philosophy. What I'm saying is diet DOES influence the amount of hormones you produce. If you want to treat your hair loss you need to take that into consideration. If you eat a diet that promotes excessive hormone production and lowers SHBG, you're just making it that much harder for your regimen to be effective.

precisely :)

I don't understand why people don't take this stuff on board either, but like I say I just try to keep my views my own a bit as I've learnt that it's possible to argue forever particularly on internet forums! lol