Diet and hair loss?

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
slipy said:
i think you missed this part:
"Professor Nothen insisted that baldness was not caused simply by one gene. "We have indications that other genes are involved," he said. It was likely that, in some cases, the hereditary defect could also be passed directly from father to son."

i follow my father's hair loss pattern as he started to bald at the same age as me and my maternal grandfather had full head of hair.

and i think you missed this part

me said:
and there is such a thing as a trend, so there can be many instances of something not conforming, but that doesn't mean there isn't a link

and the context of the claim it's a myth

Idontwanttobalding said:
depending greatly on their mum

It is not a myth that balding can come from your mothers side and that's the best side to look at.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

The always accurate Wikipedia said:
Genetics

Main article: Androgenic alopecia
Much research went into the genetic component of male pattern baldness, or androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia). Research indicates that susceptibility to premature male pattern baldness is largely X-linked. Other genes that are not sex linked are also involved.
German researchers name the androgen receptor gene as the cardinal prerequisite for balding.[7] They conclude that a certain variant of the androgen receptor is needed for Androgenetic Alopecia to develop. In the same year the results of this study were confirmed by other researchers.[8] This gene is recessive and a female would need two X chromosomes with the defect to show typical male pattern alopecia. Seeing that androgens and their interaction with the androgen receptor are the cause of Androgenetic Alopecia it seems logical that the androgen receptor gene plays an important part in its development.
Other research in 2007 suggests another gene on the X chromosome, that lies close to the androgen receptor gene, is an important gene in male pattern baldness. They found the region Xq11-q12 on the X-chromosome to be strongly associated with Androgenetic Alopecia in males. They point at the EDA2R gene as the gene that is mostly associated with Androgenetic Alopecia. This finding has been replicated in at least three following independent studies.
Other genes involved with hair loss have been found. One of them being a gene on chromosome 3. The gene is located at 3q26.[9] This gene is also involved in a type of baldness associated with mental retardation. This gene is recessive .
Another gene that might be involved in hair loss is the P2RY5. This gene is linked to hair structure. Certain variants can lead to baldness at birth while another variant causes "wooly hair".[10]
Recent research confirmed the X linked androgen receptor as the most important gene. With a gene on chromosome 20 being the second most important determinant gene (snpedia)

Note i'm still not ruling out any effect from the male side. Just pointing out the lack of a myth.

slipy

Reaction score
No one said you can't get it from your mother. You can. But you misinterpret what the previous poster said. He didn't mean "you can't get it from mother's side" he mean't - ''you only get it from mother's side'' is a myth.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
slipy said:
No one said you can't get it from your mother. You can. But you misinterpret what the previous poster said. He didn't mean "you can't get it from mother's side" he mean't - ''you only get it from mother's side'' is a myth.

Well when you read everything in order as per the posts

idontwanttobalding said:

Thom said:
the balding trait passing from the mother's side is a myth.

That certainly reads in a such a way as to suggest it needed correcting, maybe not for thom, but for those people who didn't want to second guess what the intended meaning of the post was, and may not have done background reading.

Maybe i just read too literally. I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone, even if it comes across that way and if a few people browsing read some new stuff then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I want a diet theory person to explain to me how I ate the same diet, exercise routine for 22 odd years and then out of nowhere hair loss? If diet is constant how does that cause my hair to start miniaturizing when it never changed why would it not affect me earlier?
How do athletes that eat rigorous diets and are as healthy as you can get still lose their hair? It just makes no sense its unarguable really.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
The cure is to eat human hair. Gobs of it. You're welcome. :puke:

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
slipy said:

Well when you read everything in order as per the posts

idontwanttobalding said:

Thom said:
the balding trait passing from the mother's side is a myth.

That certainly reads in a such a way as to suggest it needed correcting, maybe not for thom, but for those people who didn't want to second guess what the intended meaning of the post was, and may not have done background reading.

Maybe i just read too literally. I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone, even if it comes across that way and if a few people browsing read some new stuff then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

I understand how that could be misinterpreted, especially for people who take things very literally. Just to clarify, as the previous poster mentioned, I was saying that a lot of people believe that the balding gene only comes from your mother's side and it's not true. Both the maternal and paternal side contribute.

As to being unknowlingly adopted....sometimes I with that were true! haha

I share enough traits from both sides to know it's not the case though and my mother is quite the prude so there was no cheating involved. :)

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well I take after my father (I look exactly like him and my hairloss pattern is exactly like his, but 20 years earlier grr), so not sure I really buy that 'maternal grandfather' theory. My maternal grandfather had an amazing head of hair til the day he died. :dunno:

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
A low-fat high-fiber diet lowers androgens in men. It could possibly slow the progression of balding but I don't know :dunno:

http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/G_ene ... nter.shtml

Low-fat high-fiber diet reduces the levels of androgens in the serum and urine, according to a study published in the June 2005 issue of the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism.

The study, conducted by Christina Wang and colleagues at the University of California-Los Angeles, involved 39 white healthy men aged 50 to 60.

Tests were performed when the participants used a usual high-fat low-fiber diet, and eight weeks after they used a low-fat high-fiber diet, which contained the same amount of calories as the high-fat low-fiber diet.

The study found that use of the low-fat high-fiber diet lowered the serum level of testosterone, 5-alpha-dihydrotestosterone, and adrenal androgens to a small, yet significant, degree. Serum estradiol, urine and SHBG also showed small decreases.

Overall, a low-fat high-fiber diet resulted in 12 percent reduction of circulating androgen levels, according to the study.

Danik0226

Reaction score
Eat a balanced diet. Anything that spikes insulin is probably not good for hair. Higher fat and protein diets probably increase androgens, but as a male I don't understand why people go overboard in fearing their body's natural creation of hormones. Get a balance of Omega 3, 6, and 9, which for most people means supplement with Fish Oil for Omega 3. I would not go on a pure anti-inflammatory diet unless you have medical conditions that require you to do so. Men are born with androgens for muscle mass and it definitely affects their ability to take risks as well as spatial understanding and math (I've seen more than enough studies to prove this). If you are already taking finasteride, then you are limiting the most potent androgen in the body to begin with.

Diet and exercise should be about balance. I don't stop lifting weights because it may elevate androgens slightly. I don't stop eating beef periodically because I want an all anti-inflammatory diet. I do all of these things for my overall health, well being, and for balance in life. Health is not defined by maximizing hair or the number of years you live. I feel that is a terrible standpoint to take.

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I count hair DAILY.

When I increase my sugar carb intake, my hair loss in crease dramatically.

The same thing in the reverse.