Diet and hair loss?

jd_uk

Reaction score
Realistically, how much can a healthy diet slow male pattern baldness?

I ask because I've met twins, one who is quite healthy (works out, eats well) and one who is not so healthy - the less healthy one is also balding faster. They both are thinning though.

If diet can help then what nutrients are most important?

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
How do you know one isn't on finasteride, i mean lets be honest how many of us openly talk about our treatments?

It's always like opening a can of worms on here, the old diet and hairloss debate.

For my two penneth / cents some people believe there's a link between insulin sensitivity and hair loss. Diet would play a role in that.

Diet could also play a more direct role in our hormones, for example wheat and soy are estrogenic. That's more directly in the DHT causes hair loss camp, and i'm not sure how much of an effect foods stuffs could really have.

If i was to take a bet on things i'd say one of the twins, the more body concious one, pops the peesh.

jd_uk

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain the twin who is losing hair less slowly isn't taking finasteride. How do I know for sure - I don't. But i've known him for 20 years and I'm 90% certain he wouldn't do finasteride. He's 'body conscious' in the sense that he plays rugby and keeps fit for sport, not necessarily for looks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
PLEASE NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!! :shakehead:

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Can diet cure all of hair loss? Hell no. But there's definitely a role it can play in various forms of male balding.

There is of course another point that must be made here. Most people who are healthy are not healthy because they're athletic. They're athletic because they're healthy. While forcing yourself to go to the gym can cause a bit of an improvement in your overall health if you're in the later stages of cancer you're probably not going to be feeling too spry no matter how many times you go lift weights.

Meanwhile if your body is in proper operating condition then your energy levels will be higher, your hormones will be in their proper ratios, your outlook will be better and you'll have more motivation. All of these translate into leading you to have more of a want to be active. A few months ago I finally sorted out all of my health sh*t (basically started doing the opposite of what the USDA and NIH recommends) and since then my attitude has become annoyingly positive, and I NEED to exercise and be active. Hell I can't go out for a walk now without feeling a severe itch to break into sprints.

The healthy internal state often times actually drives healthy behavior so that twin with a fuller head of hair might just be the athletic one because he's got less internal sh*t screwing with the various parts of his body (like his hair).

Edit: that being said, chicks dig a muscly bald guy over a scrawny bald guy with gyno, hands down. Getting fit > worrying about your hairline.

jd_uk

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
PLEASE NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!! :shakehead:

Great - this isn't helpful. Maybe it is 'just another one of those threads' but like most people going through hair loss I probably have quite similar questions and my own slant them. This i meant to be a forum for asking questions and provoking discussion so if I want to do that then I will.

jd_uk

Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
Can diet cure all of hair loss? Hell no. But there's definitely a role it can play in various forms of male balding.

There is of course another point that must be made here. Most people who are healthy are not healthy because they're athletic. They're athletic because they're healthy. While forcing yourself to go to the gym can cause a bit of an improvement in your overall health if you're in the later stages of cancer you're probably not going to be feeling too spry no matter how many times you go lift weights.

Meanwhile if your body is in proper operating condition then your energy levels will be higher, your hormones will be in their proper ratios, your outlook will be better and you'll have more motivation. All of these translate into leading you to have more of a want to be active. A few months ago I finally sorted out all of my health sh*t (basically started doing the opposite of what the USDA and NIH recommends) and since then my attitude has become annoyingly positive, and I NEED to exercise and be active. Hell I can't go out for a walk now without feeling a severe itch to break into sprints.

The healthy internal state often times actually drives healthy behavior so that twin with a fuller head of hair might just be the athletic one because he's got less internal sh*t screwing with the various parts of his body (like his hair).

Edit: that being said, chicks dig a muscly bald guy over a scrawny bald guy with gyno, hands down. Getting fit > worrying about your hairline.

Thanks for the reply.

Anyone got thoughts on what foods may be known to at least be helpful for hair loss? I'm very aware that if it's in my genes to go bald then i will but only recently have I learned that stress can play a role in triggering the male pattern baldness and maybe diet (particularly nutrients that effect hair) can too at least slow things down a bit just like a more relaxed lifestyle can?

s.a.f

Reaction score
jd_uk said:
[quote="s.a.f":1d21k1lr]PLEASE NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!! :shakehead:

Great - this isn't helpful. Maybe it is 'just another one of those threads' but like most people going through hair loss I probably have quite similar questions and my own slant them. This i meant to be a forum for asking questions and provoking discussion so if I want to do that then I will.[/quote:1d21k1lr]

Yeah well good look with curing your hair loss through diet, or driving yourself mad in a futile attempt to. :whistle:

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
male pattern baldness is associated with prostate cancer. (Two studies, American and Australian)

Is it possible that if diet or any treatment has some impact on prostate cacner, could it also affect male pattern baldness?

For years. finasteride has been used to treat protate cancer with an efficacy rate of 25%. The problem is in about two years, patients develp some resitance. A least, that's a yes.

What about diet... There is little to go about in terms of studies. Coffee seems to work for some small number of men. Coffee also helps prevent prostate cancer. This also goes for tea and phytoestrogen rich food.

Milk seem to contribute to prostate cancer. Seems logical to think it could also contribute to male pattern baldness.

I'll do whatever is good for my prostate. If it has any effect on keeping my hair, it's is a bonus.

jd_uk

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
[quote="jd_uk":3n0uars1][quote="s.a.f":3n0uars1]PLEASE NOT ANOTHER ONE OF THESE THREADS!!!! :shakehead:

Great - this isn't helpful. Maybe it is 'just another one of those threads' but like most people going through hair loss I probably have quite similar questions and my own slant them. This i meant to be a forum for asking questions and provoking discussion so if I want to do that then I will.[/quote:3n0uars1]

Yeah well good look with curing your hair loss through diet, or driving yourself mad in a futile attempt to. :whistle:[/quote:3n0uars1]

when did i say i thought i could cure it?

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is infinite value in being HEALTHY.

If you are motivated enough then go to a gym TODAY, eat healthily. Don't question how it relates to hairloss for the love of god.

Hoppi

Reaction score
As I've said, I think it's mostly down to Candida and less often fatty liver / gallstones. Diets that encourage these things can cause male pattern baldness in my opinion.

Celiac and that is a less common concern too :)

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This may mean nothing.

But in Third World countries, people eat less but keep more hair and throw away 5% of their food. Far fewer are over-weight.

"First" World countires lose more hair and throw away 30% of their food. More are over-weight.

Obesity is associated with male pattern baldness. Im not implying obesity causes male pattern baldness but can eating too much contribute?

s.a.f

Reaction score
freakout said:
Obesity is associated with male pattern baldness.

What ???? :dunno:

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
This may mean nothing.

But in Third World countries, people eat less but keep more hair and throw away 5% of their food. Far fewer are over-weight.
You know that Mexico has the highest rate of obesity in the world right?

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. It was just a theory.

Yes. The surge in obesity occcured in the last three decades. "Owe" it Western influence just north of them.

There are bald Mexicans. It takes a bit of time to make an impression on their genes, hence, there will be more in future generations.

Bald men are more likely to die earlier due to cardio/coronary conditions and protate cancer. Will the following help explain it?

In an experiment, mice were fed HALF of what they would normally eat on their own. Results: They live almost twice longer from two years to almost four years.

bigentries

Established Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
Thanks for the input. It was just a theory.

Yes. The surge in obesity occcured in the last three decades. "Owe" it Western influence just north of them.

There are bald Mexicans. It takes a bit of time to make an impression on their genes, hence, there will be more in future generations.

Bald men are more likely to die earlier due to cardio/coronary conditions and protate cancer. Will the following help explain it?

In an experiment, mice were fed HALF of what they would normally eat on their own. Results: They live almost twice longer from two years to almost four years.
Where do you come with these stupid theories?
How do you explain Slovakia?
http://www.hivehealthmedia.com/world-ob ... tats-2010/

Of course there are bald Mexicans. Haven't you've been in southern Texas or northern Mexico? Mexico is a very diverse place, you can find the palest people and untouched Indian tribes. Guess where the baldness came from?

And while the BMI has its problem, check the overweight statistics
http://www.forbes.com/2007/02/07/worlds ... fat_2.html

Many places in Europe in the lowest margins and they still lose their hair

Just look at Italy, few fatties and still lose their hair

And what about the rats thing? It is a known fact that low stress levels(physical in particular) and a calorie restriction leads to increases in longevity. What does this has to do with baldness?

And any proof that bald men die earlier?

Artas

Established Member
Reaction score
Diet has very little or no control on whether or not you'll lose you hair. Sure it helps keep hair healthy, but the healthiest head of hair will not save you from baldness.

e.g. The culture in Asia seem to have low records of male pattern baldness, adopting their diet will not change our gene pattern.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
The same increases in health and longevity with calorie restriction diets in lab studies has been shown with either a ketogenic diet or simple intermittent fasting (http://www.leangains.com). Actually there are additional benefits to either (or both) the ketogenic and intermittent fasting diets that aren't found in caloric restriction but probably the most significant is you're not hungry and weak all the time which occurs on the caloric restriction diets.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If all men have androgens and DHT yet others get to keep their hair, what else do have to blame? Genes?

Well, genes need an epi to express themselves. The 'epi' is influenced by lifestyle and external and internal environmental factors and primarily by the life that's coursing through the cells.

Baldness occurs WITHIN a lifetime which means something switched it on DURING that lifetime. There is no such thing as a "timer" gene waiting to set off by itself.

GO GO GO idontwanttobebalding. Now you're talking brand new views in "genetics", errrr, genomics.