Diet and hair loss? | Page 5 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Diet and hair loss?

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by jd_uk, Jun 1, 2011.

1. slurms mackenzie

slurms mackenzie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Okay yes there's a few freaks and zealots, i'd like to think that they're tackled in an appropriate manner, and the people doing so are sensible enough to realise that their theories aren't the be all and end all.

Pretty sure i've said this before and you can quote me on this "f*** knows,".

I might have quoted in this thread or another similar thread a study which put the figure at around 20% diet, by comparing identical twins, it was alas but one study and unlikely to give such a definitive answer.

The study refers to Androgenetic Alopecia, male pattern baldness is Androgenetic Alopecia (androgenetic alopecia) hairloss which is caused by androgens (male hormones).

The study also mentions a similar link in men, so it's a valid starting point for discussions.

I'm not sure whether your making this point to reinforce the previous point, which i'm not sure i agree with because i think a study on Androgenetic Alopecia is relevant for both sexes, however very rarely, most campaigns target older women, but you do realise young men get breast cancer right? Just not many.

2. freakout

freakout Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Appreciated. Thanks for the links.

I have yet to see bald twins who lived in totally different environments e.g. modern versus remote rural/primitive setting.

If we were born bald and never grew hair, then we can blame our genes.

But male pattern baldness occurs during a guys lifetime and epigenetics states that our environment/lifestyle is responsible for those dispositions. THere is no such thing as a "timer" gene waiting to set off by itself - something set off those genes.

In the mice experiments, when those male pattern baldness hair follicles grew into terminal hair in just four months - encased in biopsies of the donor's scalp, essentially making then scalp transplants...

...it showed that the genetics components of male pattern baldness is not within the follicles but somewhere else in the body perhaps other systems affecting the scalp in general.

It also showed that DHT sensitivity IS FALSE. Should I call it a LIE?

3. powersam

powersam Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I've posted the above study many times, and a few other ones, all showing that there is a strong chance that male pattern baldness is connected to insulin. Seems most have a mental block about the issue though.

4. balder

balder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Timing of genes does exist.

Puberty is a good example.

5. balder

Dislikes Received:
    Insulin and aging are definitely correlated...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 064935.htm

male pattern baldness is much like an accelerated aging of scalp and scalp hair...

6. freakout

freakout Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Good one :)
    Many are still on the assumption that genes control life. That theory fell apart after the Human Genome Project (HGP) concluded.

In 2001 or 2002, HGP revealed that, of the expected 140,000 to 1.5 million genes, humans have only about 23,000 genes - a number no more than what monkeys and mice have. What's more surprising is our genes are almost identical to these animals. Human Genome Project

What did the project reveal? That our superiority over other animals is NOT defined by our genes but by LIFE - that life controls genes. Genomics is the latest push into microbiology. Unfortunately, it is out of reach by the typical laboratory because it requires super computers.

More on this

Puberty is a normal extremely complex process. It is controlled by life - not by genes.

male pattern baldness is an abnormal process because it associates with several serious conditions and diseases. Stating that it's a 'male trait' is irresponsible.

7. balder

Dislikes Received:
    Aging is strongly determined by genetic factors

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/ ... telomeres/

8. balder

Dislikes Received:
    Those serious conditions and diseases are correlations but correlation is not always causation.

Some people go NW7 bald but otherwise have perfect health and other people keep a full NW1 but with extremely bad health with conditions like arthritis, obesity, etc.

Perhaps epigenetics gives a clue

http://georgefebish.wordpress.com/2011/ ... in-common/

9. WhitePolarBear

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    NW7 never have perfect health sorry, otherwise they wouldn't go bald, it's a sign of disease, otherwise people would be happy to go bald, because it's so naturally genetically programmed like blue eyes, :)

10. JayC2

JayC2 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    nw7 dont have perfect health!!!! did you really just say that!! hahahahha....then it gets better "ITS A DISEASE" aaaaahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha

11. slurms mackenzie

slurms mackenzie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    So untrue.

There's lots of things that people aren't happy with that are genetically programmed from the serious such as congenital heart disease, to the more trivial such as a large hooter, or a tiny weiner.

Plenty of NW7's have perfect health.

12. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    :agree: Nobody wants to be small, ginger, hairy arsed or ugly either but you cant say they're all without exception unhealthy.

13. WhitePolarBear

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    They were born this way. Nobody becomes suddenly a ginger ar 17 :)

14. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    [attachment=0:2fc2crp6]permanent-facepalm-facepalm-fail-pigeon-demotivational-poster-1260284257.jpg[/attachment:2fc2crp6]

15. WhitePolarBear

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Don't know what to answer huh. You can't beat me lol

16. anxious1

anxious1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Fred the belgian said:

I cant believe u said that either. What about genetics?

u cant just make a generalised statement like that. There may be some bald men, who have accelerated it with bad diet, or excesses of things, but most of them were probably destined to be like that because of genetics.

Except for a small percentage of cases (which isnt even male pattern baldness, its just hairloss), male pattern baldness is not a disease, or a sign that anything is wrong.

U just want it to be a disease so bad, because that would imply that theres a cure to be found.

I think everyones just dumbfounded, as to how someone could say something so dumb.

I am from a big family, with several brothers, ranging from extremely healthy, (no drugs / alcohol watsoever ) to the opposite extreme (me) And despite our differences in lifestyle, we all have the exact balding pattern (mainly temple recession) at around the same age.

I have to agree that diet 'MAY', play a part, i.e it may be a small contributing factor, but certainly genetics is a much greater contributor.

17. WhitePolarBear

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Of course I completely agree with you but I think there are some things about health we don't consider or know yet. We may find a person healthy, someone told me recently that Wayne Rooney for example is super healthy, I'm sorry but when I look at his lifestyle, he's far from healthy.

What I call healthy is to try not to harm your body too much, for example, I quit drinking alcohol, not for hair (it's useless for that), but because I lost friends and made things I'm not proud under this poison, I've never smoked tobacco, weed, or have taken any forbidden substances. But my point is, it's not because someone doesn't have any rationnal visible disease that we can put a tag on like cardiovascular disease or type 2 diabetes that he is 100% healthy, this is far from the truth.

I've had super excess sebum (you could fill a glass by wiping it on my scalp and forehead!), moderate to severe acne, dandruff, eczema, all at the same diet, I resolved them all at once with a way better diet that I've ever had. And bam, my hairloss resolved, I mean "stabilized" and I'd say my supplements and topicals helped to regrow some hair, and also to be more indulgent with my diet.

Don't let your genetic predispositions control you!

18. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I think everyones just dumbfounded, as to how someone could say something so dumb.[/quote:al01tatd]

Exactly its like trying to argue evolution with a radical christian fundamentalist! :shakehead:

19. WhitePolarBear

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    And you don't read my previous post on purpose isn't it s.a.f :)

20. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    What you mean his lifestyle of training 5 times a week?

The guy can run around a soccer pitch for 90 mins playing world level football. I'd bet under fitness tests he could beat 95% (including you) of the general population. Just because he has the odd night out does'nt make him unhealthy.
    So anyone who is'nt eating celery at the gym 24/7 is unhealthy in your opinion? :shakehead: