Diet and hair loss? | Page 6 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Diet and hair loss?

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by jd_uk, Jun 1, 2011.

1. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Me too and yet I went bald at a young age - see you in 3 yrs! :wink:

2. WhitePolarBear

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Ok man. It's funny, I plan to havr all my hair back in 3 years. I'll be glad to show you ;-)

3. anxious1

anxious1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    You can try to take us on a tangent all u like, but the fact is u said this, and it is not correct.

I like u, ur funny and cool, but just admit u said something incorrect.

4. freakout

freakout Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness

Ahh, the age old question of aging :).

I stopped subscribing to theoretical analysis of genetic material such as the one your posted after the Human Genome Project concluded. I'm very excited about Genomics.

I agree that inheritance has some level of influence but also in this manner:
    The activity of our ancestors can predispose us to early death. That's epigenetics at work.

I also have a first hand story from my mom about my grandmother and her sisters. Two of them lived the fast lane in the cities. One stayed in their remote province. Two lived to be in their seventies. One, in her nineties, respectively.

There is always an interplay between inheritance (genetic) and environmental factors but something stands in-between - that's the "epi" (in epigenetics) which means "above" or "in control of". It's called life.

We cannot do anything about our ancestor's activities but only to study what they did to adversely affect their descendants. We can only so something about our environment and lifestyle which will benefit us and the future generation.

5. freakout

Dislikes Received:

:agree: Yes, correlation is not always causation. In other words, one does not cause the other e.g. diabetis does not cause male pattern baldness. BUT it could mean that the correlated conditions may have a common contributing factor.

6. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    Here is one to think about:

THe nuclei contains the genome which contains the genes. In theory, a cell dies if the genome is removed because genes supposedly 'control life'.

But then you can remove the nuclei of a single cell bacteria and it will continue to live for months. What determines its death when the genome was removed months ago?

Here's another:
    In an experiment, two sets of mice were fed with different amount of food. One set was allowed to eat normally and how much they want to eat. The other set was fed HALF of what the first set ate.

Results: the second set lived almost twice are much - close to four years instead of just two years.

7. balder

balder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie_re ... _and_PHA-4

8. freakout

Dislikes Received:

It's just another theory ascribing a gene to a function. It's a theory that it's responsible for longetivity but, under epigenetics, it's also possible that's its under the influence of a more complex process. Life is a process.

Remember, part of our behavior can also be inherited. And human behavior is extremely complex. Our dexterity is unlike any animal.

So the real question is, with only 23,000 genes, what makes you different from a mouse or a monkey since our genes are almost identical to their's?. I don't see a mouse with male pattern baldness. Even with monkeys, only the macaques, which we cannot call male male pattern baldness because even females lose hair, "represent" the so-called "androgenetic alopecia".

Conventional beliefs genetics do not make sense. It's dying. To some geneticists, it's already dead. We can talk about inheritance or inherited traits but not specific genes. Welcome to Genomics. :)

9. balder

balder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Re: I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness

http://www.genome.gov/18016863

10. freakout

Dislikes Received:

That's just it: "caused by a change in a single gene". A single gene affects the entire genome. They simply cannot work on one gene and solve a problem. With only 23,000, genes, overlapping occurs and a gene can appear 100,000 times over the genome. What governs 100,000 IDENTICAL genes into expressing themselves indivdually?? That governor is called LIFE.

There was no 'vast trove of data'. There were only 23,000 genes.

Already? Where? What tools? :)

Where's the example? "on the horizon" means about a hundred years IF they drop the 'genes' off the equation.

The gene is dead. http://www.atlasofscience.org/news/news ... nome%202.0

Inheritance - not indivitual genes - remains just one of several factors that contribute to people's risk...

Translation = We want more money. :) http://artsci.wustl.edu/~anthro/article ... 0Feb02.htm

11. freakout

Dislikes Received:

It's more of:
    the genome WAS managed by a living organism -your ancestors -
    was handed to you when you were born
    to be your guide and to be managed by you.

The lack of data to guide you, particularly in new environments, can cause random reactions on your part until you learn how to deal with those. You then write those learned experiences into the genome and pass it your descendant.

A single cell bacteria can survive for months WITHOUT its genome (nuclei). So, what controls life?

We can basically say, non-bald men have learned while balding men have not which also predisposed them to other diseases.

12. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I know people hate it when someone posts a pic of an unhealthy person that has a full head of hair but it brings up a good point.

I can't think of anyone who has neglected their body more than Shane Macgowan and he still has a great head of hair at 53!

Attached Files:

13. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Him and about a million other rock stars.

Funny he says people have been telling him he's only got 6months to live for over 30 yrs.

14. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Surprisingly enough he also survived his temporary replacement, Joe Strummer. Strummer really cleaned up his act for the most part in his last years....and he's another example of someone who kept their hair intact.

15. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    Bad diet doesn't cause male pattern baldness. Maybe it's the opposite.

Could 'too good' 'too nutritious' diet contribute to male pattern baldness e.g. milk?

Could obesity-causing food contribute to male pattern baldness which could be why both are linked?

Tell me, Thom, do you drink milk?

16. anxious1

anxious1 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    yep. it can imo. juries still out on milk, but

theres lots of diseases and toxicities related to certain synthetic vitamins like Vit A, minerals such as selenium, hormone treatment including contraceptives

Theres plenty of examples id love to go into , but right now im busy.

also dont forget about supplements and exercise. depending on the person, more than say 3-4 supplements at a time will stress the liver. And some runners need knee replacements at an early age, + the constant shocks wreck erythrocytes.

Sometimes the health nuts do more damage than they think.

17. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

Unfortunately the balding trait passing from the mother's side is a myth. If it were true I wouldn't have any thinning as every man on that side of my family have thick heads of long hair.

18. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I don't drink much milk at all except occasionally putting it in my tea.

19. freakout

Dislikes Received:
    Tea is very good for prostate - fout to six cups a day.

But mixing milk was a bad British "ingenuity". Milk WIPES out the health benefits of tea on the cardiovascular system.

Haven't you noticed, they have been promoting 'dark' chocolate as a health food. Do you know the difference between 'dark' chocolate and regular?
    They merely removed milk and it became 'dark' and healthy.

20. cristi2011

cristi2011 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    The dude looks horrible with all his thick hair! He would for sure look better completely bald but with all his teeth in his mouth!