Diet and hair loss?

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: I Broke the Mystery of Male Pattern Baldness

freakout said:
Conventional beliefs genetics do not make sense. It's dying. To some geneticists, it's already dead. We can talk about inheritance or inherited traits but not specific genes. Welcome to Genomics. :)

http://www.genome.gov/18016863

Implications of Genomics for Medical Science

Virtually every human ailment, except perhaps trauma, has some basis in our genes. Until recently, doctors were able to take the study of genes, or genetics, into consideration only in cases of birth defects and a limited set of other diseases. These were conditions, such as sickle cell anemia, which have very simple, predictable inheritance patterns because each is caused by a change in a single gene.

With the vast trove of data about human DNA generated by the Human Genome Project and the HapMap Project, scientists and clinicians have much more powerful tools to study the role that genetic factors play in much more complex diseases, such as cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease that constitute the majority of health problems in the United States. Genome-based research is already enabling medical researchers to develop more effective diagnostic tools, to better understand the health needs of people based on their individual genetic make-ups, and to design new treatments for disease. Thus, the role of genetics in health care is starting to change profoundly and the first examples of the era of personalized medicine are on the horizon.

[...]

Clearly, genetics remains just one of several factors that contribute to people's risk of developing most common diseases. Diet, lifestyle, and environmental exposures also come into play for many conditions, including many types of cancer. Still, a deeper understanding of genetics will shed light on more than just hereditary risks by revealing the basic components of cells and, ultimately, explaining how all the various elements work together to affect the human body in both health and disease.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score

balder quoting an opinion said:
Virtually every human ailment, except perhaps trauma, has some basis in our genes. Until recently, doctors were able to take the study of genes, or genetics, into consideration only in cases of birth defects and a limited set of other diseases. These were conditions, such as sickle cell anemia, which have very simple, predictable inheritance patterns because each is caused by a change in a single gene.
That's just it: "caused by a change in a single gene". A single gene affects the entire genome. They simply cannot work on one gene and solve a problem. With only 23,000, genes, overlapping occurs and a gene can appear 100,000 times over the genome. What governs 100,000 IDENTICAL genes into expressing themselves indivdually?? That governor is called LIFE.

... With the vast trove of data about human DNA generated by the Human Genome Project and the HapMap Project, ...
There was no 'vast trove of data'. There were only 23,000 genes.

Genome-based research is already enabling medical researchers to develop more effective diagnostic tools
Already? Where? What tools? :)

first examples of the era of personalized medicine are on the horizon.
Where's the example? "on the horizon" means about a hundred years IF they drop the 'genes' off the equation.

The gene is dead. http://www.atlasofscience.org/news/news ... nome%202.0

Clearly, genetics remains just one of several factors that contribute to people's risk of developing most common diseases. Diet, lifestyle, and environmental exposures also come into play for many conditions, including many types of cancer.

Inheritance - not indivitual genes - remains just one of several factors that contribute to people's risk...

Still, a deeper understanding of genetics will shed light on more than just hereditary risks by revealing the basic components of cells and, ultimately, explaining how all the various elements work together to affect the human body in both health and disease.

Translation = We want more money. :) http://artsci.wustl.edu/~anthro/article ... 0Feb02.htm

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score

genomics = the "genome" is alive
It's more of:
the genome WAS managed by a living organism -your ancestors -
was handed to you when you were born
to be your guide and to be managed by you.

The lack of data to guide you, particularly in new environments, can cause random reactions on your part until you learn how to deal with those. You then write those learned experiences into the genome and pass it your descendant.

A single cell bacteria can survive for months WITHOUT its genome (nuclei). So, what controls life?

We can basically say, non-bald men have learned while balding men have not which also predisposed them to other diseases.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know people hate it when someone posts a pic of an unhealthy person that has a full head of hair but it brings up a good point.

I can't think of anyone who has neglected their body more than Shane Macgowan and he still has a great head of hair at 53!

Attachments

• thumbnailCAJFY5EG.jpg
    thumbnailCAJFY5EG.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 364

s.a.f

Reaction score
Him and about a million other rock stars.

Funny he says people have been telling him he's only got 6months to live for over 30 yrs.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Surprisingly enough he also survived his temporary replacement, Joe Strummer. Strummer really cleaned up his act for the most part in his last years....and he's another example of someone who kept their hair intact.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bad diet doesn't cause male pattern baldness. Maybe it's the opposite.

Could 'too good' 'too nutritious' diet contribute to male pattern baldness e.g. milk?

Could obesity-causing food contribute to male pattern baldness which could be why both are linked?

Tell me, Thom, do you drink milk?

anxious1

Established Member
Reaction score
yep. it can imo. juries still out on milk, but

theres lots of diseases and toxicities related to certain synthetic vitamins like Vit A, minerals such as selenium, hormone treatment including contraceptives

Theres plenty of examples id love to go into , but right now im busy.

also dont forget about supplements and exercise. depending on the person, more than say 3-4 supplements at a time will stress the liver. And some runners need knee replacements at an early age, + the constant shocks wreck erythrocytes.

Sometimes the health nuts do more damage than they think.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
idontwanttobebalding said:
Thom said:
I know people hate it when someone posts a pic of an unhealthy person that has a full head of hair but it brings up a good point.

I can't think of anyone who has neglected their body more than Shane Macgowan and he still has a great head of hair at 53!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/assets/swf ... ce/02-tale

It ain't what he has done to himself...it is what his mum and her mum passed on to him that allows him to get away with his actions as he has......

His kids may not have the same luck....depending greatly on their mum. But his action can/will have an effect on him/her.

Unfortunately the balding trait passing from the mother's side is a myth. If it were true I wouldn't have any thinning as every man on that side of my family have thick heads of long hair.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
freakout said:
Bad diet doesn't cause male pattern baldness. Maybe it's the opposite.

Could 'too good' 'too nutritious' diet contribute to male pattern baldness e.g. milk?

Could obesity-causing food contribute to male pattern baldness which could be why both are linked?

Tell me, Thom, do you drink milk?

I don't drink much milk at all except occasionally putting it in my tea.

freakout

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tea is very good for prostate - fout to six cups a day.

But mixing milk was a bad British "ingenuity". Milk WIPES out the health benefits of tea on the cardiovascular system.

Haven't you noticed, they have been promoting 'dark' chocolate as a health food. Do you know the difference between 'dark' chocolate and regular?
They merely removed milk and it became 'dark' and healthy.

cristi2011

Established Member
Reaction score
Thom said:

The dude looks horrible with all his thick hair! He would for sure look better completely bald but with all his teeth in his mouth!

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That's from a life of hard living and excessive drinking, though he did just get dentures I read recently.

No matter how far gone Macgowan is I hear he puts on one of the best shows you'll ever see!

s.a.f

Reaction score
This is funny as F*ck. :laugh:

Guy mistakes a mirror for the door.
[youtube:ilu2k000]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirutCHZ-QI[/youtube:ilu2k000]

Apparently Shane starts each gig sober but has a drink between each song and by the end well ...... :hairy:

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Haha I didn't think shane did anything sober. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a sober interview with him!

jksl

Established Member
Reaction score
In my OPINION, those who are genetically susceptible to male pattern baldness will exacerbate their affliction if they are unhealthy or have unhealthy habits (e.g. sedentary lifestyle, no exercise, starvation, poor diet, chronic infections, severe stress, alcohol and drug abuse, smoking, etc.) Eating foods that you are allergic to or intolerant to can be inflammatory. Eating mostly nutrient-deficient junk foods can be taxing on the liver which might make it more difficult for it to remove unwanted hormones and hormonal by-products, along with other wastes. Having a lot of visceral fat from not exercising and eating fatty junk foods is inflammatory, which is bad for hair health.

For those who are NOT genetically susceptible to male pattern baldness, being unhealthy or having unhealthy habits will probably not cause them male pattern baldness.

balder

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/biol ... ldness.htm

The incidence of male pattern (androgenic) baldness has been found to be the highest among college professors, and lowest among skid-row winos. Winos are also known to have the cleanest arteries in the world (which of course doesn't save them from dying of cirrhosis of the liver). Could there be a connection? Let me remind you that alcohol is an excellent vasodilator -- there is perhaps nothing quite like alcohol for dilating those peripheral blood vessels. And vasodilatation implies nitric oxide release. (I'm not recommending that anyone take up drinking.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
Thom said:
idontwanttobebalding said:
Thom said:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/assets/swf ... ce/02-tale

It ain't what he has done to himself...it is what his mum and her mum passed on to him that allows him to get away with his actions as he has......

His kids may not have the same luck....depending greatly on their mum. But his action can/will have an effect on him/her.

Unfortunately the balding trait passing from the mother's side is a myth. If it were true I wouldn't have any thinning as every man on that side of my family have thick heads of long hair.

It's a bit dangerous saying that something is a myth because it doesn't apply to you, there are many sources backing up the science behind it, and there is such a thing as a trend, so there can be many instances of something not conforming, but that doesn't mean there isn't a link

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 91775.html

No offence but for all you know you could be adopted or not your fathers child (that used to be really common), not that i'm suggesting that's the case at all, i don't know you or your family i'm just pointing out something that's remotely possible, and probably a plot line in house or something.

slipy

Reaction score
i think you missed this part:
"Professor Nothen insisted that baldness was not caused simply by one gene. "We have indications that other genes are involved," he said. It was likely that, in some cases, the hereditary defect could also be passed directly from father to son."

i follow my father's hair loss pattern as he started to bald at the same age as me and my maternal grandfather had full head of hair.