Diet and hair loss? | Page 7 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Diet and hair loss?

Discussion in 'Men's General Hair Loss Discussions' started by jd_uk, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    That's from a life of hard living and excessive drinking, though he did just get dentures I read recently.

No matter how far gone Macgowan is I hear he puts on one of the best shows you'll ever see!

2. s.a.f

s.a.f Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    This is funny as F*ck. :laugh:

Guy mistakes a mirror for the door.
    [youtube:ilu2k000]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SirutCHZ-QI[/youtube:ilu2k000]

Apparently Shane starts each gig sober but has a drink between each song and by the end well ...... :hairy:

3. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    Haha I didn't think shane did anything sober. I'm not sure I've ever even seen a sober interview with him!

4. jksl

jksl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    In my OPINION, those who are genetically susceptible to male pattern baldness will exacerbate their affliction if they are unhealthy or have unhealthy habits (e.g. sedentary lifestyle, no exercise, starvation, poor diet, chronic infections, severe stress, alcohol and drug abuse, smoking, etc.) Eating foods that you are allergic to or intolerant to can be inflammatory. Eating mostly nutrient-deficient junk foods can be taxing on the liver which might make it more difficult for it to remove unwanted hormones and hormonal by-products, along with other wastes. Having a lot of visceral fat from not exercising and eating fatty junk foods is inflammatory, which is bad for hair health.

For those who are NOT genetically susceptible to male pattern baldness, being unhealthy or having unhealthy habits will probably not cause them male pattern baldness.

5. balder

balder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    http://www.hairloss-reversible.com/biol ... ldness.htm

6. jksl

jksl Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Link doesn't work..

7. slurms mackenzie

slurms mackenzie Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    It's a bit dangerous saying that something is a myth because it doesn't apply to you, there are many sources backing up the science behind it, and there is such a thing as a trend, so there can be many instances of something not conforming, but that doesn't mean there isn't a link

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 91775.html

No offence but for all you know you could be adopted or not your fathers child (that used to be really common), not that i'm suggesting that's the case at all, i don't know you or your family i'm just pointing out something that's remotely possible, and probably a plot line in house or something.

8. slipy

slipy Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    i think you missed this part:
    "Professor Nothen insisted that baldness was not caused simply by one gene. "We have indications that other genes are involved," he said. It was likely that, in some cases, the hereditary defect could also be passed directly from father to son."

i follow my father's hair loss pattern as he started to bald at the same age as me and my maternal grandfather had full head of hair.

9. slurms mackenzie

Dislikes Received:

and i think you missed this part

and the context of the claim it's a myth

It is not a myth that balding can come from your mothers side and that's the best side to look at.

10. slurms mackenzie

Dislikes Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldness

Note i'm still not ruling out any effect from the male side. Just pointing out the lack of a myth.

11. slipy

slipy Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    No one said you can't get it from your mother. You can. But you misinterpret what the previous poster said. He didn't mean "you can't get it from mother's side" he mean't - ''you only get it from mother's side'' is a myth.

12. slurms mackenzie

Dislikes Received:
    Well when you read everything in order as per the posts

That certainly reads in a such a way as to suggest it needed correcting, maybe not for thom, but for those people who didn't want to second guess what the intended meaning of the post was, and may not have done background reading.

Maybe i just read too literally. I'm not trying to have a dig at anyone, even if it comes across that way and if a few people browsing read some new stuff then that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

13. abcdefg

abcdefg Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    I want a diet theory person to explain to me how I ate the same diet, exercise routine for 22 odd years and then out of nowhere hair loss? If diet is constant how does that cause my hair to start miniaturizing when it never changed why would it not affect me earlier?
    How do athletes that eat rigorous diets and are as healthy as you can get still lose their hair? It just makes no sense its unarguable really.

14. uncomfortable man

uncomfortable man Senior Member

Dislikes Received:
    The cure is to eat human hair. Gobs of it. You're welcome. :puke:

15. Thom

Thom Senior Member

Dislikes Received:

I understand how that could be misinterpreted, especially for people who take things very literally. Just to clarify, as the previous poster mentioned, I was saying that a lot of people believe that the balding gene only comes from your mother's side and it's not true. Both the maternal and paternal side contribute.

As to being unknowlingly adopted....sometimes I with that were true! haha

I share enough traits from both sides to know it's not the case though and my mother is quite the prude so there was no cheating involved. :)

16. hairhoper

hairhoper Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    Well I take after my father (I look exactly like him and my hairloss pattern is exactly like his, but 20 years earlier grr), so not sure I really buy that 'maternal grandfather' theory. My maternal grandfather had an amazing head of hair til the day he died. :dunno:

17. balder

balder Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    A low-fat high-fiber diet lowers androgens in men. It could possibly slow the progression of balding but I don't know :dunno:

http://foodconsumer.org/7777/8888/G_ene ... nter.shtml

18. Danik0226

Danik0226 Member

Dislikes Received:
    Eat a balanced diet. Anything that spikes insulin is probably not good for hair. Higher fat and protein diets probably increase androgens, but as a male I don't understand why people go overboard in fearing their body's natural creation of hormones. Get a balance of Omega 3, 6, and 9, which for most people means supplement with Fish Oil for Omega 3. I would not go on a pure anti-inflammatory diet unless you have medical conditions that require you to do so. Men are born with androgens for muscle mass and it definitely affects their ability to take risks as well as spatial understanding and math (I've seen more than enough studies to prove this). If you are already taking finasteride, then you are limiting the most potent androgen in the body to begin with.

Diet and exercise should be about balance. I don't stop lifting weights because it may elevate androgens slightly. I don't stop eating beef periodically because I want an all anti-inflammatory diet. I do all of these things for my overall health, well being, and for balance in life. Health is not defined by maximizing hair or the number of years you live. I feel that is a terrible standpoint to take.

19. rwhairlosstalk

rwhairlosstalk Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I count hair DAILY.

When I increase my sugar carb intake, my hair loss in crease dramatically.

The same thing in the reverse.