Defenton's Story - (end of year cosmetic shot)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: Defenton's Story - (21 and receding, update on page 11)

awaiting for new pics, hope its a positive update.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

MEANSTREET said:
why did u shave it? like to see if itd grow? hows the3 hair now? is it better or worse than ur good pics? cheers

Yea essentially to see if it would grow. my last hair cut I had deliberately not had the front cut so it was, leaving the UK, at least a couple of inches longer than the new stuff. This hair had obviously grown but it was not so clear if the new stuff had at all. So, in a hotel room in Dalat (this idiosyncratic Vietnamese town) i borrowed a pair of scissors and used me razor to remove my temple hair, my left temple was alot easier as the hair was more obviously 'new' than the right temple.

Using the left temple as a guide, therefore, since then (18th December) until now the hair has grown between .5-2cm depending on how close it was to my original hairline. In other words, the stuff that was starting to appear in NW1 shape (on LT) before I left has regrown to the extent it had reached (<.5cm) whereas the older 'new' hair is about 2cm and, as such, is still a little shorter than it was. Therefore the overall regrowth is now more uniform (on LT) BUT my old old hair is now quite long (9cm at the front) and as such, the disunity between old and new is more obvious.

This leads me to two interesting hypotheses I would appreciate people's input from:

1. Does the longer hair affect the growth of shorter hair?

I am wondering because my new hair seemed to have stopped growing in comparison to the longer old hair (or so it seemed) and once i evened the playing field on my left temple, the really short new hair regrew at a comparitively faster rate than the slightly 'older' new hair i.e. it re-reached its original length at a quicker rate.

If so, would shortening my old hair help facilitate faster growth of my new stuff? In as much as the really short hair re-grew comparitively faster than the semi-short.

2. does my new hair only grow to a certain length?

Had my new hair simply reached its zenith at about 3-4cm and had it really stopped growing ? Is this possible, I mean it's regrowing now but will it seem to stop at about that level again, forever condemning me to odd pseudo-hair on my temples? Is there a precedent for this?

Basically, I'm wondering whether to get a really short hair cut to help out my new hair. But if this is all in my head, I don't want to go through with it as my hair looks good atm (will post a pic of me soon) and I don't want to lose that for a crew cut on the basis of shaky pseudo-science to help out hair that is clearly growing or that might grow to a certain length anyway.

Please help, I know I've been a kind of inspiration for some people (and ive gladly helped out people) but for the first time I'm actually a little concerned myself about my own progress that seemed so indefatigable back in late July.

safe

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Perhaps rogaine can only support the growth of hair to a certain length?
I understand where you're coming from but if you're hair is looking good, then why do anything to change it regardless of how long it is? As long as there isn't too much of a contrast and it doesn't look ridiculous then there should be no problem with keeping it. I'd stick to your regime and see if in a few months it begins to grow again...may need a few months to gather strength for the next 'push' if you see what I mean.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Defenton's Story - (query)

Thanks for the input. I figure rogaine could only support hair at a certain length if hair requires more 'food' the longer it gets, I'm not sure if this is the case? anyone know?

As for my hairstyle. I figure it needs trimming a little. Ill upload a pic in a minute. Everyone can provide input, or something

safe

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

ok here is a pic of my hair, and my general countenance post SE Asia trip.

MEANSTREET

Reaction score

lookin good man lookin swell. i think generally ur voyage of hairdom has been most benefitial to u.

i was wondering bout the hair 'food' minoxidil thing too but check out sighconot (thinks thats his name) and some dude called Eugene they both grow out their hair quite long. id call it the long short hair stage.

good job man. laters

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

thanks MEANSTREET. I seem to recall Sighconot and how he grew his out. Ill check out Eugene too.

safe

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hair looking great man

RaginDemon

Reaction score

hair is looking great!

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score

minoxidil wouldn't just grow your hair to a certain length, that doesn't make sense. Your hair is "dead" when it leaves your scalp and follicle has no way of knowing how long it is. If this were the case, your hair would grow say, 4 or 5 inches and then never grow again!

the only thing that's possible is that the "growing phase" is shorter and the "resting phase" is longer with minoxidil hair, which could give the impression of limited-length hair.

hair looks good and healthy btw

:)

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

flimflam said:
minoxidil wouldn't just grow your hair to a certain length, that doesn't make sense. Your hair is "dead" when it leaves your scalp and follicle has no way of knowing how long it is. If this were the case, your hair would grow say, 4 or 5 inches and then never grow again!

the only thing that's possible is that the "growing phase" is shorter and the "resting phase" is longer with minoxidil hair, which could give the impression of limited-length hair.

hair looks good and healthy btw

:)

Yea that makes sense. Shorter growing phase...hmmm.

Thanks for the props :)

x

pologuy514

Established Member
Reaction score

Defenton, how long did you grow your hairout for your latest pic?

RaginDemon

Reaction score

minoxidil dependent hair is zombie hair anyways lol

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

Grew my hair for 4 months or so i reckon, the good hair that is. But my haircut was styled so the fringe was already an inch longer than the sides. Partly to conceal hair loss, partly because my hair curls up at the back and sides once it gets about 2-3 inches and stays straight on top. This side/back problem tends to result in an (imo) odd look, one that is starting to bug me already and one that has always stopped me experimenting much with my hair beyond a certain length, even when it was intact. Although when i was 19 I grew it out over one summer to the same length + fringe to match and got a ton of compliments from friends, family and strangers, but it never really clicked that I should keep it like that (i was insecure i think, at the time) and instead i got it cut shorter and highlighted, which garnered little attention, especially as the rather weak high lights didn't really show on my dark hair (which turns almost black with hair products in it). A large forhead and unsuitable head shape has always prevented me from cutting it too short. Plus when I was younger it was incredibly thick and grew really fast and as the eldest of four and with an odd head, I had to wait til my brother's (shorter, slower growing) hair grew unmanageable before mine would get cut. This was often not until my fringe was in my eyes, luckily I always got a short back and sides so those 2 areas were never a problem.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

good to know things are going well!

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

hi. Was thinking of adding Tricomen just for an extra boost to see if I get anymore regrowth (been on big 3 11 months so far) does anyone have any objections?

safe

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score

hey def,

How did you manage to take Rogaine Foam and Propecia pilss overseas?
Did you put them in a carry on bag with you?

As far as Tricomin is concerned it should help if anything. If you willing to give the time for one more topical per day then I would give it a shot.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

The Rogaine had to go in the luggage because it was over 100ml and therefore not allowed on the carry-on. The propecia i also put in the luggage just to be safe. No one checked my luggage after any of the 5 flights I took. Including the Vietnamese in Hanoi.

My tricomin should arrive soon.

blaze

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Lucky your luggage didnt get checked or that stuff would have been confiscated probably. That would have sucked.

Defenton

Established Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure. As far as I know it's not illegal over there. I mean valium and xanax can be bought over the counter throught the region so some prostate pill is probably not a problem.