Buzzed my hair(Two week pics on last page)

Angie #7

Reaction score
Jayman: coming from a hairstylist, you will feel better about this cut after 2 weeks. It is just a little too short on top. I would definetly wear the top a little longer and have the barber cut the sides and back down shorter. Which colour are you using in the toppik? It maybe a bit too dark which is why its making your head look dirty. I ordered med. brown for my son and it works great, although you do have to hold it at least 8inches from your scalp so it goes on evenly and I always put hairspray on after it so it stays on the hair somewhat and doesn't travel down to the scalp.

G

i'm using dark brown because that's my hair color, angie. it blended in fine with my hair color when it was longer so i suspect the shade is fine. it's supposedly 1/2 inch all over right now. what do you think about making it 3/4 inch all over or 7/8 inch?

thanks.

Angie #7

Reaction score
I think 3/4 for the top and maybe 1/2inch for the sides and back, would look great. The idea is to create the illusion of thicker hair on the top. If you have 3/4 inch all around the head, I think it will make your haircut look too round and draw attention to your thinning areas. If you have had your barber or stylist for a long time, and have confidence in them, tell them what you are trying to achieve. You want a haircut that is short, but not so short that you can see your thinning areas at this time. When I cut my son's hair short this last time it was probably left about 3/4 on top and it was very easy. I just took some putty after drying and from the crown I raked everything forward with my hands, sometimes I spike the very front of this look up, it helps the fill in the temple area. When your hair is a bit longer try Garnier Fructis "Surf Head" It adds thickness, texture, and is not gooey.

G

thanks angie.

i really wanted to do it myself with clippers hence i asked if 3/4 all over would look good haha. i don't have skills like a barber or a stylist has at tapering, layering and cutting hair different lengths on different parts of the head.

Angie #7

Reaction score
Jayman: Sometimes some of the haircuts these hair professionals give are so bad that you might as well do it yourself! If you do 3/4 is safe length, if it doesn't look quite right you can always go and cut it shorter!
Since your hair is shorter now than you would like you could also take a picture of your hair when it is a length you like and show it to your barber next time.

Hope this helps

G

thanks angie. i'm going to try growing it out to an inch. i'll take a look in two more weeks at the 3/4 inch mark and see if i like that.

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
yes flash was on for that pic, person_123. yeah i only started meds in july.

yeah, your hair seems to be in better condition than mine.

if i ruffle it up, i see more scalp than you do, but if i push it all in a certain direction, looks pretty much like yours.

does hair loss slow hair growth? because i've wanted to buzz my hair as well. but i'm only willing to wear a hat for a few weeks (if it looks horrible). if it looks ok, i'd keep it, but if it looks bad, i'll need to regrow hair quickly.

G

"does hair loss slow hair growth?"

that's a great question and i've heard conflicting things so hopefully someone else can answer it.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Dont really know about the general growth rate. But it certainly shortens the growth cycle and increases the rest/dormant cycle of the effected hair follicle.

G

certainly saf. good things drug s like avodart and propecia can help with that.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
why do you want to have it so short?

hairloss is more noticeable and obvious when you wear a short haircut.

we are not in a position to wear it short. We can shave our head or wear 1 inch + hair long to cover more area.

but if you have no problem with all people noticing your hair loss, then go ahead.

dirtrider67

Established Member
Reaction score
DUDE....what the hell! your not going going bald. your hair looks great that short. the flash will make anyone with a buzz cut look like they are thinning. the none flash pics look great. if i were you, i would be a little skeptical about using finasteride or avodart because from what i've been learning on here, it seems that you loose a lot from the shed before you start growing it again and then the preocess starts all over again. i think you could probably go a few, maybe even 10 years before you need meds. nano is probably good though. anyway, good luck man.

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
dirtrider67 said:
DUDE....what the hell! your not going going bald. your hair looks great that short. the flash will make anyone with a buzz cut look like they are thinning. the none flash pics look great. if i were you, i would be a little skeptical about using finasteride or avodart because from what i've been learning on here, it seems that you loose a lot from the shed before you start growing it again and then the preocess starts all over again. i think you could probably go a few, maybe even 10 years before you need meds. nano is probably good though. anyway, good luck man.

Muahahha I agree. Only coz' i'm jealous of your hair 8)

G

pretty conflicting opinions on here. i_hate_dht is saying it's noticeable to everyone when i wear it this short, and speculum and dirtrider are saying that it looks good short. i guess that's okay because i'm conflicted myself about how it looks.

dirtrider67 said:

dirtrider, i am going bald though. if you look even in the non-flash pics you can see that i am diffusing on top. people in this thread have said that it's noticeable and i agree with them. Look at the pic I posted earlier, dirtrider.

http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 024mu6.jpg

In people without male pattern baldness, you don't see scalp anywhere on top with hair that long. The hair is thin all over there. Just look for the pink-white areas- my scalp. lol.

as for taking avodart, i will never get off the avodart. It's giving me no sides, no gyno, no sexual sides, etc. If I go off it I'm giving up. You may say I should go off it and wait till I have more noticeable loss down the road- well why? It's possible I can prevent that loss if I start it now.

I respect your opinion, but I went to a dermatologist who gave me the Propecia script originally(before I switched to Avodart), and when I came in he looked my scalp over and told me that I was in the early stages of male pattern baldness.

My hairdresser actually noticed 5 and a half years ago(when I was 16) that I was balding, but never told me. Imagine if I had caught it 5 years ago- that would have been great. I've actually been balding for 5 years and my mom said she noticed too. It wasn't actual bald spots at that time but the hairdresser that I used had been seeing me since I was a kid and she noticed my hair getting progressively thinner and thinner as I went through my teens. I am 22 now.

bubka

Reaction score
no way, most people cut their hair shorter when it gets thinner

have you ever wondered why women get shorter haircuts as they age? its because their hair is thinner, and its very noticeable when longer, thus the change

sure there is a happy medium in there, where too short is more noticeable, but shorter makes it look thicker PERIOD

Sean68

Reaction score
hair still looking good man, maybe you could add some minoxidil now you'd be able to apply it a bit easier, it might help towards the back...im not telling you anything you dont know though here am i :roll:

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it looks good both ways. Use the haircut you like the most.

I could tell you from my own experience that I feel great with the buzzed hair. I don’t have to worry about waxes, putties and thickening shampoos anymore, or how to comb it and style it. I just apply my topicals and that´s it.

G

thanks strat. i'm going to grow it out to perhaps an inch i think and see how it looks.

I_Hate_DHT

Established Member
Reaction score
bubka said:
no way, most people cut their hair shorter when it gets thinner

have you ever wondered why women get shorter haircuts as they age? its because their hair is thinner, and its very noticeable when longer, thus the change

sure there is a happy medium in there, where too short is more noticeable, but shorter makes it look thicker PERIOD

that's plain and utter bullshit.

G

Dude, you're perfectly fine... you still got more coverage than I. My buzz looks ok in normal/dark lightning, but the scalp shows through when under a bright light. I'm not that desperate about it, though... it's just the way it is, I'm going bald and that's that. Would be great if finasteride slowed it down but if it doesn't, I just have to get over it. But nevertheless, you look good. And if you don't like it, it will grow back in no time.