Buzzed my hair(Two week pics on last page)

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
Well at least the good thing about a haircut you don't like is that you can always grow back it again. And you'll notice hair growth really quickly when it's much shorter anyway.

If I saw you down the street I definitley wouldn't be thinking your balding, it's not like one of those things where you know walk past someone and have a good look at him and think "sh*t that guy's balding"

Not that noticeble IMO. Wouldn't have known if you didn't tell us.

G

thanks sharpshooter. i think i'll take college and jglover's suggestion and grow it another quarter inch to 3/4ths of an inch all over.

G

Pics of the back of the buzz

Here are a few pics of the back of the buzz. I only showed you guys the front and top. What do you think?

I think it looks a lot better without the flash on it. Do you think that the areas on my scalp that are lighter under the flash are the areas that I'm balding in? Like that huge spot in the back? It looks like I'm diffusing to an NW5 pattern at least. I guess i'll just stay away from flashes and bright light. Cause it looks great without it but with it, yuck. major crown thinning.

why the staggering difference through between flash and no flash?

thanks

Without flash:

With flash:

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
I have mine shaved too (1/4 guard) and it looks a lot like yours with the thinning areas... only my hairline is worse so u should feel somewhat lucky.

If you're still concerned about the appearance of the thinning areas, take the advice that someone else mentioned and buzz it shorter, preferably with a 1/8th guard. I buzz it that short from time to time and trust me, it's almost impossible to tell I have male pattern baldness because there's very little contrast b/w the thinning/non-thinning areas. The only thing that gives it away is my hairline but that shouldn't be too much of a problem for you since your hairline looks fairly decent.

And one last tip: if you wanna lessen the appearance of male pattern baldness with a buzz cut, try lining up the hairline. By that I mean using a guardless shaver, hold it so that the blades are perpendicular to your forehead, and kinda dab at your hairline so that the hairs become aligned. What it does is it makes the hairline more prominent so it lessens the appearance of a receding hairline. You don't have to do it though... just suggesting it.

G

do people ever comment on yours kalbo?

i wore a hat around today after the cut and i might take it off tomorrow if i'm feeling ballsy.

it's weird cause some on this thread told me to grow it out to around 3 quarters of an inch from the half an inch it's at n ow, and some people including you are saying to buzz it down farther to 1/4th or 1/8th. not sure which to do.

are you diffuse like i am?

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
well i've been buzzing my hair for the past 8 years..... before my thinning was that bad.

I get a few stares at the hairline, but no one really says anything. So far no one's said I'm losing hair all over... and i'm diffusing in the manner that you are, so that should be good news for you.

I definitely recommend not hiding under a hat. Sure u may get comments initially, but they'll subside in due time... trust me. I used to do the same thing (wearing hats) when my baldness was starting to get out of hand.... now i just say eff it cuz it was only making me paranoid.

jfglover

Reaction score
Okay... you can buzz down shorter... take a look at the ultimate fighter competitors.. whatever that show is.. They all have the buzzed down hair I think people are talking about.

I just believe you will be a little happier about it in 2 weeks or so. If you shave it all the way down like that.... haha... probably month and half.

JG

G

Hehe I will take your advice Jfglover. I'm giving it two weeks to hopefully get to 3/4 inch . I may even be happier at 1 inch total you know?

I'm going to give both lengths a look so I'll give it 1 month total. If I decide both are bad then I'll try 1/8th I think.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
well to be honest, if you're asking me, then yes I would think you're balding. But that's just cuz i'm in a similar situation and I know for a fact that I'm balding.... To an average person, I don't think they'd even think twice that you're balding.

I really suggest u trim the hairline a bit though... u don't have to line it with a shaver like I said before, but just trim those thin hairs up front to make the hairline more prominent and lessen the appearance of male pattern baldness. Get a barber to do it if you're too scared to mess it up.... trust me, it's a technique I've seen barbers do and it works.

edit: yeah u know what, just buzz it shorter like that guy told u to.... it'll make things look a lot better.

Skaff

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks good to me but the fringe looks longer than everything else. I think you'd be better off giving that a trim.
And I don't know if it's just an illusion but it looks as though you have massive shoulders...you working out?

G

Skaff said:
Looks good to me but the fringe looks longer than everything else. I think you'd be better off giving that a trim.
And I don't know if it's just an illusion but it looks as though you have massive shoulders...you working out?

lol you're not the first person to say that when i show people pics. kind of embarrassing but whatever.

i work out occasionally, plan to start doing it more because i figure hey i'm balding i might as well get in great shape.

i don't know much about physiology but basically i have the genetics and body type for really broad shoulders and adding muscle really easily. i worked out for like three weeks last year and my arms were really solid. i could be wrong but i think my shoulders are 44 which means that even when i am like 160 pounds I have to wear a size L shirt because of my shoulders. A medium is too tight.

by fringe you mean the horseshoe right?

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
You look awesome wow. If I had hair like that i'd be jumping for life.

Right now my hair is 4 inches long, and thinning like mad. The only times I go out are to school, to work and if i'm feeling super confident, to town every few weekends.

I'm so scared of the wind now it's not funny.

I hope I look this good when I buzz it but again, you have the hairline- I don't. Arrgh!

Have you tried dermmatch/nanogen in your hair? I wonder if it works with hair this short?

G

speculum2 said:
Have you tried dermmatch/nanogen in your hair? I wonder if it works with hair this short?

no but i did try toppik this morning after the buzz. i had used it before on my 2 inch hair and it looked good. it doesn't look so great on my buzz. it just makes my hair look dirty all over.

TheGlamorous

Established Member
Reaction score
JayMan said:
speculum2 said:

no but i did try toppik this morning after the buzz. i had used it before on my 2 inch hair and it looked good. it doesn't look so great on my buzz. it just makes my hair look dirty all over.

Hrm okay. Well i'll try nanogen when I do it and use it realllly sparingly. I had to bloody mail order the money to this american website a week ago and they haven't confirmed it's delivery yet. If this gets lost thats $100 down the drain, gah!

G

speculum2 said:
JayMan said:
speculum2 said:

Hrm okay. Well i'll try nanogen when I do it and use it realllly sparingly. I had to bloody mail order the money to this american website a week ago and they haven't confirmed it's delivery yet. If this gets lost thats $100 down the drain, gah!

make sure you use hairspray to hold it in place, for toppik at least. i dunno what nanogen is like.

bubka

Reaction score
hey i think it looks great, especially in the real world like picture that people would actually look at your hair... it fits well

like others have said, i think every haircut is always best a week or two into it... at least thats my experience...

your hair looks in pretty decent shape... maybe some diffuse but i don't think anyone would really know, seems like you are starting meds at the best possible time!

person_123

Established Member
Reaction score
When your hair is long, it seems to completely cover up any thin areas. Except for a bit at the crown.

One thing is for sure though. It definately looks thin now that you buzzed it.

I was thinking about buzzing it, but my hair looks worse than yours when it's long. So if I buzz it, it would probably look even thinner than yours (not that yours is that bad).

Have you only started meds? I was under the impression you'd been on finasteride for ages. My mistake.

In the pic where your hair was long (I only looked at page 2). Was the flash on? Because if I turn flash on, my hair looks thinner than that. If flash is off, thicker. Which is why I'm finding it hard to make the comparison.

G

yes flash was on for that pic, person_123. yeah i only started meds in july.