Buzzed my hair(Two week pics on last page)

G

Hey guys, I'm sure most of you have seen my pics. If you haven't then they are in the tell your story forum in my thread, dispersed throughout.

I have decided that I am going to the barber and going get a buzz cut because then there will be less contrast between my thinning crown and thinning front, relative to the rest of my hair. I did get a haircut 10 days ago, but it was 2.5 inches before the haircut and they only cut it to 1.65 inches.

Would a cut to half an inch be considered a buzz cut? Should I ask them to buzz it a different length on top than on the front or sides? I'm asking all these questions because I've never had my hair shorter than about an inch and a half in my life.

Maybe I will ask them to buzz it to a 1/4 inch. I was thinking 1/8th. ALSO, my biggest question was I haer people on here say that they buzz their hair with a "0", or a "1", or "2". What do these blades correspond with in inches? Like if I ask them to buzz my hair with a 1 guard, is that 1/4th or 1/8th or what? again i'm going from 1.66 inches to whatever i end up with, so it will be a staggering difference. should i ask them to buzz it to maybe 1/2 inch to start and then see how I like it, then go further if I want?

Thanks a lot guys.

G

I want to have it about as short as this guy does in a pic. Can anyone tell me how short this is in inches?

buzzof2.jpg

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
In the UK we use a "grading system" (they may do in the US too). Think it goes along roughly something like this (somebody may have to correct me here):

Grade 1 (3mm)
Grade 2 (6mm)
Grade 3 (9mm)
Grade 4 (12mm)

I'd say that kid's got a 2 or a 3, doesn't look anymore than a centimetre, so I suppose that's no more than half an inch? Possibly even closer to a quarter.

G

so would you say i should ask them to cut it close to 3/8ths of an inch as possible to mimic that? right in between a quarter inch and a half an inch?

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
One advice: trying to get your hair like somebody else just leads to trauma.

I know it from first hand experience. Everytime I thought: "Hey that hairstyle is what I need" and looked for it I finished with a "damnit, It doesn´t look closer and also, it seems horrible on me!".

Don´t know why, but I always crapped my hair when trying to get it like...

G

thanks for the advice solo. i just want it short so i can see my scalp.

i've never had my hair shorter than 4.2 cm(1 and 2/3 inches) before, so this will be an adventure. As I said, i want it short so that i can see my scalp and so that i can get a better idea of where my problem areas are.

do you think i should go with a 1/2 inch cut or a 1/4 inch cut? is it true that cuts longer than 1/2 inch aren't really buzzes?

thanks.

Sharpshooter

Reaction score
Well at least with 1/4 inch cuts it'll grow to 1/2 inch within two weeks anyway if you thought originally it was too short (assuming you apply the hair grows half an inch a month theory).

And thanks for the Pm's by the way.

G

you're welcome.

i think i will get it 1/4 inch all over.

thanks.

Rob_x_22

Established Member
Reaction score
i'd get 3/8th 1/4 is really short u prolly won't like it ...when i buzz mine i do it like 1/2 like jason mraz

G

why wont i like it?

is 3/8 much different in terms of appearance? it's just an eighth of an inch difference.

and i've never seen jason mraz with a buzz before. everytime i see him he has long hair.

Strat54

Established Member
Reaction score
Here’s a guide:
#1=1/8â€￾=3mm
#2=1/4â€￾=6mm
#3=3/8â€￾=9mm
#4=1/2â€￾=12mm

My advice: Go to the barber shop and start with a #4. Buy yourself a hair clipper so you can trim your hair by yourself, lets say once a week, and go to the barber once a month for a trim.

You can experiment at home with the different guide combs, it´s very easy and you can’t miss. Use a #3, and if you like it you could try a #2, and if you don´t like it, it will grow back. (I'm taking MSM and my hair grows very fast)

I did it this way and now I use a #1 on the sides and back and #2 on top and I’m loving it. I feel so liberated!

Oster and Wahl make the best clippers.

Solo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I don´t get the measures you´r talking (I´m onto metric system) but leave it longer on top, whatever you do. It helps a lot with appearance and adds thickness. The key is doing it without too much contrast, I don´t know how to explain...

...to make it look like it´s uniformely long, but really a bit longer on top, to mask the difference between thinning top/sides.

G

wow the barber used a 4 (1/2 inch cut) on me and i absolutely hate it. i have a total horseshoe when it's cut this short. i look diffuse across the top

the thinning was nothing with 1.5 inch hair in comparison:

I am SO stupid i could just cry seriously. I'm like a Norwood 5 or 6 apparently. My girlfriend insists it's normal for a buzz to look like this even on non-balding people. to show a lot of scalp for 1/2 inch buzz on top. i wouldn't know because ive never had my hair shorter than an inch and a half. what do you guys think? :(

This was my hair before buzzing it:

That was like two months ago. I haven't lost like any hair since then.

What happened? Was my 1.5 inch hair just hiding a NOrwood 5?

Also, why does my webcam pic make it look so much better than the digi cam pic?

jeffsss

Reaction score
it's not even that bad. if you dont like it grow it back out. I dont think you needed to buzz it yet.

G

it's easier to tell now though isn't it. my girlfriend insists it was easy to tell before like in the before pic, but i didn't think so.

ceee

Established Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it's normal for a buzz to show that much scalp. I had a buzz when I was younger, and you couldn't see that much scalp, even when it was down to 1/8th inch.

I feel your pain though, I buzzed my hair to about that length a few weeks ago and it looked very similar to those pictures. You might try taking it closer, as that would show more scalp all over and the contrast wouldn't be as great, worked for me. Although a few days later I shaved it completely because I was tired of worrying about whether it looked normal or not.

G

i think i'd rather just wear a cap for a month or two till it grows out.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It looks alright on the web cam maybe its the flash that makes the scalp show through. Anyway with a buzz cut you can always see some scalp visible. It totally fine man, if I were you (hairwise) I would'nt even be on this forum.

jfglover

Reaction score
man... just bone up and roll with it.

The difference between a good and bad hair cut is 2 weeks. My pops once won a contest in Vegas cutting hair with a broken glass piece of a bottle. So... I'm telling you... in 2-3 weeks different story.

Forget the hat and atleast enjoy the simplicity.

JG

docj077

Reaction score
Your hair is not naturally dense enough for it to be cut that short. It looks that way when you shave it, because you just don't have the coverage for it.

It would have looked that way whether you were balding or not.