Bill Gates talks about not wasting money in "male baldness"

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right. He's the insensitive moron curing malaria, and we're the caring geniuses whining about our bald heads in an online forum. You are quite wise.

Tell us then, how much money is hair loss research getting? Hint; there are only 5 legit research teams in the world working towards a hair loss cure.

And since when does funding for hair loss impede funding for malaria?

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
2006765057-albert-einstein-fear-technology-surpass-human-interaction-generation-idiots.jpg

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tell us then, how much money is hair loss research getting? Hint; there are only 5 legit research teams in the world working towards a hair loss cure.

And since when does funding for hair loss impede funding for malaria?

I may ideally say: why the hell does Microsoft make $1999 Surface tablets when 99% of the world cannot afford $99 android tablets?

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
I may ideally say: why the hell does Microsoft make $1999 Surface tablets when 99% of the world cannot afford $99 android tablets?

Because microsoft is a PROFIT DRIVEN business, not a charity organization. They don't give two shits about about some poor kid in a 3rd world country.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
His statement is stupid. We should have said "there are people buying my video consoles and spending money JUST to play online when people are dying around the world". At least games are fun but what about stuff like drugs, alcohol, cigarettes that people spend money on? There are companies out there investing a lot of money in marketing poison to people.

He's a cool guy though, it was just a really stupid mistake, it happens.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Tell us then, how much money is hair loss research getting?

OK.

Commercial research teams around the world are working on ways to stimulate the follicles in the heads of bald men. Last year dermatologists at Pennsylvania University announced that they had discovered the enzyme that instructed the follicles to stop producing hair.
Drugs firms have been eyeing huge profits from selling treatments to the four in five men who will experience hair loss by the time they reach the age of 70.

The bald truth: Skewed priorities
Charlie Cooper
Malaria and male pattern baldness: both affect millions worldwide, but you can only die from one of them.
Nevertheless, it’s the latter that receives more funding. According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, every year $2bn (£1.3bn) is spent worldwide on surgical procedures for hair loss alone.
That figure dwarfs the £547m spent on research into fighting malaria in 2010, according to the World Health Organisation. Add on the millions of dollars of investment that goes into funding research into hair follicle science – several research groups claim to be close to a cure – and it is clear that it is baldness, not malaria, that the world spends more money on.

By comparison, malaria affected an estimated 219 million people in 2010 and killed 660,000 – mostly children in Africa, where a child dies every minute from the disease.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bill-gates-why-do-we-care-more-about-baldness-than-malaria-8536988.html

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
OK.

Commercial research teams around the world are working on ways to stimulate the follicles in the heads of bald men. Last year dermatologists at Pennsylvania University announced that they had discovered the enzyme that instructed the follicles to stop producing hair.
Drugs firms have been eyeing huge profits from selling treatments to the four in five men who will experience hair loss by the time they reach the age of 70.

The bald truth: Skewed priorities
Charlie Cooper
Malaria and male pattern baldness: both affect millions worldwide, but you can only die from one of them.
Nevertheless, it’s the latter that receives more funding. According to the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery, every year $2bn (£1.3bn) is spent worldwide on surgical procedures for hair loss alone.
That figure dwarfs the £547m spent on research into fighting malaria in 2010, according to the World Health Organisation. Add on the millions of dollars of investment that goes into funding research into hair follicle science – several research groups claim to be close to a cure – and it is clear that it is baldness, not malaria, that the world spends more money on.

By comparison, malaria affected an estimated 219 million people in 2010 and killed 660,000 – mostly children in Africa, where a child dies every minute from the disease.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bill-gates-why-do-we-care-more-about-baldness-than-malaria-8536988.html

Why don't you compare the money spent on lipsticks or moisturizers?

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's comparing money spent on transplants, by consumers themselves. The question is how much money goes into hairloss research compared to malaria research.

I wonder why they've decided to pick baldness, if they're trying to make such a tenuous statement. I bet the total spent on certain other "cosmetic" industries will dwarf hair restoration. I wonder how much gets spent on breast enlargements, botox, nose jobs. etc?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder why they've decided to pick baldness?

Because, for some weird reason, bald men are considered an easy target

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Bill gates ..no matter what..

Is never a good guy because when he built his house in Seattle something..

He forced all neighbours to leave their home to have privacy...he is dangerous guy..

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Precious flowers, chill out. Bill Gates made a comment that he was surprised how much $ was being spent for hair loss research vs. malaria. The point being that malaria is a disease that kills little kids, while hair loss is a cosmetic problem that kills no one. He could have said nose jobs or beer research or any number of things, but he said hair loss. So what. The man is not a moron, nor a "book smart liberal dumbass", nor a "feel good bleeding heart" or any of the other things posted here. He's a hero who actually apparently has led a successful effort to find a vaccine for this disease that kills... well here are the stats for a single year:

The mosquito born disease killed 584,000 people in 2013, with 90% of the deaths occurring in sub-Saharan Africa. Of the victims, 83% were children under the age of five.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
A lot of people that didn't suffer hair loss in their 20's/30's will tell you the same.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
"Do you hate women? Baldness and having small breast is not the same, a woman without breasts doesn't feel like a real woman, you misogynist pig!"

"No one cares about your hair, men are supposed to man up about it, now excuse me while I update my Okcupid profile with: "No bald men, sorry!"

A proper satire of feminism would be:

"The money spent on breast implants isn't spent to help women, it is spent by women for the service of men."

It's easier for me to impersonate as I have significant sympathy for feminism in general, though not all specific feminist arguments.

TransientHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Treating potentially fatal diseases and providing aid in third world countries is obviously much more important than treating hair loss. In saying that though, is there actually much money spent on Male Pattern Hair Loss research? Finasteride is still the best treatment for the disease even 19 years after its approval for treating MPHL.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Treating potentially fatal diseases and providing aid in third world countries is obviously much more important than treating hair loss. In saying that though, is there actually much money spent on Male Pattern Hair Loss research? Finasteride is still the best treatment for the disease even 19 years after its approval for treating MPHL.

To be noted that both Finasteride and Minoxidil showed their proprieties as side-effects from treating other illnesses.
Maybe Gates meant no money should be spent to study male pattern baldness because it has proven to be an incurable defect
(jk)

- - - Updated - - -

"Do you hate women? Baldness and having small breast is not the same, a woman without breasts doesn't feel like a real woman, you misogynist pig!"

"No one cares about your hair, men are supposed to man up about it, now excuse me while I update my Okcupid profile with: "No bald men, sorry!"

Is there an actual okCupid profile asking no bald men need apply?

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Treating potentially fatal diseases and providing aid in third world countries is obviously much more important than treating hair loss. In saying that though, is there actually much money spent on Male Pattern Hair Loss research?

Perhaps not. But Gates didn't say that there was... he said that less money was being spent on finding a vaccine for malaria.

And yeah, most definitely, treating fatal diseases and providing aid in third world countries (particularly something as significant as saving someone's life) is obviously much more important than treating hair loss!! Incredibly there are posts in this thread that refute this.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Perhaps not. But Gates didn't say that there was... he said that less money was being spent on finding a vaccine for malaria.

And yeah, most definitely, treating fatal diseases and providing aid in third world countries (particularly something as significant as saving someone's life) is obviously much more important than treating hair loss!! Incredibly there are posts in this thread that refute this.

NOBODY refuted that. Nobody.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score

NOBODY refuted that. Nobody.

Are you sure?

Do-gooder American liberals always seem to be more worried about what's going on in other far away places like Africa rather than the U.S. where baldness, though not life-threatening, is a much bigger problem.

sheraz1392

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score