Bill Gates talks about not wasting money in "male baldness"

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fred got profiles from a knockout, an ugly whale and a 60 year old to make the point lol.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

this is really sad
last time I checked online dating (ten years ago) this preference was much less evident.

- - - Updated - - -

The other day, some female poster here was saying that the older women usually do not mind baldness on men but ironically, in all of the links you've provided none is below 30.
I remember that; however, keep in mind that the women who write here have a different sensibility than the general population, as they know first hand what it means to lose hair...

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score

blackg

Reaction score
- - - Updated - - -

I remember that; however, keep in mind that the women who write here have a different sensibility than the general population, as they know first hand what it means to lose hair...
Smart post.

Joan

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The other day, some female poster here was saying that the older women usually do not mind baldness on men but ironically, in all of the links you've provided none is below 30.

By older, I was referring to middle aged. I wonder if older women stand naked in front of their mirrors in harsh lighting, without any makeup, and take a good look at themselves at every angle before they specify "bald men need not apply". I check out bald men as much as I check out men with hair. That's because I see them as a package and don't single out what others may consider a flaw.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
I have more respect for honest women that clearly state what they want than those that want to appear morally superior and lie.

bluered999

Reaction score
Baldness seems like such a smart field to invest in, if the cure was actually found you would make 10000x your initial investment.

ossrey

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Jeffrey Sachs, who is an icon in international development/poverty relief, made a similar comment a while back. There was a video online where he poked criticism at then-Italian president Berlusconi getting hair plugs. I forgot in which context, but I think it was to contrast his rich privilege with the pressing/"real" challenges facing poor people in developing countries. I wish I could find the video!

You'll be amused to note that he, too, has a very impressive mane for a middle-age dude:

http://www.earth.columbia.edu/articles/view/1804

I actually respect this guy a lot, but I'd say he's yet another example of people who criticize baldness as a vanity issue that should be dismissed because of all of the "real" problems that exist elsewhere.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Doctor's make too much money on transplants. That's why research into finding cures is dragging it's feet, and taking forever.

We will be lucky if children born today will have better treatment than we have. Remember, the last breakthroughs were really
in the 1980s/1997.

Thank you!! I've been saying that for years, and it has been obvious to me ever since I started visiting these forums. This is with regards to the first sentence of your post. These hair transplants have made these doctors into multi-millionaires and the last thing that they want is for any new treatment to put any kind of dent into their cash cow business. That is why they never innovate in any way (unless it is some other form of hair transplant) despite the fact that statistically, very few people even get these hair transplants anyway. These hair transplant doctors know this full well, but money comes first with them.

However, I choose to remain on the optimistic side when it comes to new treatments because as they say in Shawshank Redemption "hope is a powerful thing". And at least some research and clinical trials are being done.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Doctor's make too much money on transplants. That's why research into finding cures is dragging it's feet, and taking forever.

We will be lucky if children born today will have better treatment than we have. Remember, the last breakthroughs were really
in the 1980s/1997.

hair transplant doctors don't dictate what research can or can't be done nor do they dictate which product can or cannot make it to market.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Gates is just trying to score points with the fullhead establishment. Because he knows everybody can get behind kicking bald guys while there down.

xetudor

Established Member
Reaction score
I am sure all those cool haircuts and hair products could have easily paid for all the malaria research needed to fix it for ever.

The more I think about it, the more retarded does his statement becomes.

resu

Reaction score
There's zero risk in saying what he said and still managed to score points now imagine if he said that research done on weight loss pills or wrinkle creams could be used to fund a malaria cure.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
I'm just relieved he left out live saving investments eg;breast augmentation and buttock lifts. So proud of him for not going there

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
My medical view on this...

Malaria is vector borne disease..

Putting money in malaria vaccine is failure because not all will get that..
It will need massiveassive massive awareness..
Millions of millions of currency will need to spread that awareness...

While in India...
Malaria Eradication Programs are running..
Which distroys breeding havens of mosquito..
Curbing malaria spread..

Malaria in itself is curable disease if done hospitalisation promptly..
Cerebral malaria is dangerous..okay..I know that..

If all this factors are taken in to account..
Bill Gates looks like fool..

I have first hand experience of medical field..
Poor people will not come to medical institutions unless they are ill..
So malaria vaccine will flop like WINDOWS Vista,Windows Phone7,Windows 8,Windows kin,windows Metro user interface, Windows Surface Tablet..
It will make every nation,agency invested in this vaccine as Next Nokia...

Rudiger

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am sure all those cool haircuts and hair products could have easily paid for all the malaria research needed to fix it for ever.

The more I think about it, the more retarded does his statement becomes.

Yes because the money for cool haircuts and hair products goes to microsoft.