Being short is worse than going bald for me

toocoolforhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Being short is definitely worse than being bald. In college I was sitting at a table with lots of girls and a few guys. One of the guys had model good looks, but he was only about 5'4 or 5'5. He said he had to leave, and as soon as he left all the girls started talking about him. The comments were like "if only he were a bit taller" and "I could never go with a guy that short".

On the other hand I have never heard such a discussion about a balding/bald guy. Weirdly, the only time I've heard a man's baldness discussed (behind his back) is when another guy brought it up. The guy, with a perfect head of hair, said out loud to a girl that so and so is balding. However, it was clearly jealousy, as the balding guy was getting close to the girl, and the guy with hair had feelings for her.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
I think the 5'9" average is correct. I'm 6'2" and it seems that whenever I go somewhere (bar, store, work, etc.) 9 out 10 times I'm one of the tallest guys.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
kerzyguy said:
im able to hide my insecurity when im out and about, its when im home, i start to look at it and such, and man believe me, house is totally right about my bdd, for sure i have it, i think im an fugly guy despite being told im good looking by rather attractive girls, and my hair well, you guys know about how i am about my hair, house is right, im not happy with myself, and i know where it stems from and its stupid. i refuse to go out if i dont feel like i look decent enough, its not because im just a dick who is all into himself or anything, i just hate my appearance and self, why im like this? well, had my heart ripped out through my ***, and it affected my life big time and im not the same, i know its petty and alot of ppl deal with it but i cant, so to make me feel better, i just go out and pick up every good looking girl i can find cause if they approve of my appearance then it gives me some hope that im not the bald/ugly/caveman that i perceive myself to be, and yes its pathetic and horrible, and i manage to pull it off which is wrong, i seriously do see myself as balding when i look at myself, i dont come on here to show anything off, or brag, and it jsut got even worse when i got folliculitis, before it was just myself, now its my hair as well.
if i could only shake off that, id be a much happier person

Try therapy. Seriously, dude. You sound pretty unhappy. I'd try anything. The sooner you kick this the better you're life's gonna be and the more you'll accomplish.

THE SAME GOES FOR UNCOMFORTABLE MAN.

Just trying to help. :)

Petchsky

Reaction score
Hey Obi,

Being short is not ideal, I know as i'm on the shorter end myself at 5"8, but you will have to accept it as there is little you can do, aside from wear those ridiculous platform type shoes that Sarkozy and Bono wear. :shakehead:

I used to hate being 5"8, but now I don't really mind so much as it has not hampered me in anyway. Easier said than done but the sooner you accept yourself as you are and begin to feel comfortable in your own skin, the easier it becomes. When people are at ease with themselves and comfortable in their own skin with all their imperfections, which we all have, that radiates outward to others.

Alot of women say they wouldn't date someone shorter than them, and that's generally true, but by no means a rule, but at 5"6, you're still taller than plenty of women.

ali777

Reaction score
Petchsky said:
Alot of women say they wouldn't date someone shorter than them, and that's generally true, but by no means a rule, but at 5"6, you're still taller than plenty of women.

I've been with a few short women, there are lots of them out there.

I know most women wouldn't date a guy shorter than them, one TV programme put the number at 75%. I think 75% is about right. Most of my female friends comment on the height of the guys, so it is a requirement.

Basically, at 5'6 he has to find a girl that is in the 25% category that doesn't mind the height of the guy, or find someone under 5'6.

I used to work with a short guy, and he somehow always managed to get a tall-ish decent looking gf. So, it's a personality thing more than the height...

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Obsidian should join a short guys forum, because hair loss is not his problem.

templemonk

Established Member
Reaction score
i'm 6'2/asian and i would never know how it is like to be a short guy because since jr.high, i was one of the tallest guy in my classes. especially, being an aisan, people around me (mostly asians) consider my height as the 'ideal' height for a man. im not here to brag tho.. since the original poster said being short is worse than being bald.. i have to disagree with that..
if i can have my high school hairline back but be 5'9, i'll take that deal ANY DAY! with NO HESITATION! i like short/cute type girls anyway.

HAIR > HEIGHT

definitely...

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
templemonk said:
i'm 6'2/asian and i would never know how it is like to be a short guy because since jr.high, i was one of the tallest guy in my classes. especially, being an aisan, people around me (mostly asians) consider my height as the 'ideal' height for a man. im not here to brag tho.. since the original poster said being short is worse than being bald.. i have to disagree with that..
if i can have my high school hairline back but be 5'9, i'll take that deal ANY DAY! with NO HESITATION! i like short/cute type girls anyway.

HAIR > HEIGHT

definitely...

but 5'9" is still average height.

what about 5'6"?

I'd say shorter stature IS worse because there options with baldness. toupees, hair transplants, and god knows what else in the future. but when you are short, there's nothing you can do about it.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 5'7" and balding visibly, I guess I have no future :shakehead: .

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'm 6'1" and if I could be only 5ft tall and have all of my hair, I would take that in a heartbeat.

Shorter guys have it easier in the gym to build muscle size. I always see like these short guys who have like 16-17 inch arms and they look like Arnold.

A taller guy, like myself, needs like 21 inch arms to look the same way.

5 feet is about 152 cm. I'm pretty f*****g sure you wouldn't trade to have hair for that. I was always one of the shortest boys in my class but I still managed to reach 152 cm when I was about 11-12 yrs old. So, if you want to be as tall as the shortest kids are at that age, good luck to you.

ali777

Reaction score
ghg said:

I have a Finnish friend, and from what I've heard the Finns are a pretty tall nation. 5'7" isn't really short, but if you come from a nation where the average height for the new generation is 6'0, then you are probably in the lower 20-30%.

If your height is a problem for you, move to Portugal or another country where the average male height is closer to your height. I'm sure IBM and Flavio are going to be hospitable and help you settle in....

Obsidian

Reaction score
dudemon said:
I'm 6'1" and if I could be only 5ft tall and have all of my hair, I would take that in a heartbeat.

Shorter guys have it easier in the gym to build muscle size. I always see like these short guys who have like 16-17 inch arms and they look like Arnold.

A taller guy, like myself, needs like 21 inch arms to look the same way.

And have you noticed much shorter those guys look when they pack on more than ten to twenty pounds of bulking muscle. Most of you guys saying you want to trade your height for hair would be in for a rude awakening. Besides most of you are ideal male height so you have never ONCE experienced height discrimination. You would not want to be five feet and I feel like I need to make sure the 5'2 guy at my college doesn't get picked on.

FFS

Reaction score
Hey Obsidian I'm 6ft 2" I would easily trade 5 inches for a NW1 for lifetime!! The only advantage u might have when u are over 6ft is that most people don't really see what's going on your head when u are walking on the street.....
I think u looked really cool with that long hair u used to have! (I'm not gay or anything....) By the way my cousin is only about 5'9", has the best hair ever a real NW1 with hair thick as hell (I would say from the hair better than Brad Pitt), he also works out a lot and got pretty big and ripped.... When He is walking on the street girls turn around and stare at him, If he's on partys hot girls are chatting him up all the time, he doesn't even have to make an effort....

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
ali777 said:
ghg said:

I have a Finnish friend, and from what I've heard the Finns are a pretty tall nation. 5'7" isn't really short, but if you come from a nation where the average height for the new generation is 6'0, then you are probably in the lower 20-30%.

If your height is a problem for you, move to Portugal or another country where the average male height is closer to your height. I'm sure IBM and Flavio are going to be hospitable and help you settle in....

I was TRYING (obviously) to be sarcastic. My height is not a problem for me. Infact I know plenty of guys who are shorter than me.

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
Im 5 foot 7 and I really dont give a sh*t

Im content with my height and my small center of gravity makes me a hard target to take down

Ask anyone who has had a grappling match with me

Id rather be me with my looks than some 6 foot 5 dood who is built like a lead guitarist

:)

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
And I most of the women Ive dated have been my height or taller

Im thinking Im a gonna go for some of them tiny throw around the bedroom types next I dont need to work out at a gym just to get laid

barcafan

Reaction score
Being tall looks like alot of fun. I'd love to be 6'3.

I'd gladly give up my remaining hair for a horseshoe and be 6'3 right now.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Dblbass128 said:
Id rather be me with my looks than some 6 foot 5 dood who is built like a lead guitarist

sadly its only your opinion, majority of women prefer a tall guy, but hey, atleast your not bald.... so yeah :\

Dblbass128

Established Member
Reaction score
Smooth said:
Dblbass128 said:

sadly its only your opinion, majority of women prefer a tall guy, but hey, atleast your not bald.... so yeah :\

dood it isnt opinion they dont care as much as you think character goes a long way but yes some women do prefer tall men but then again who gives a sh*t and yes my hair looks like sh*t