Being short is worse than going bald for me

s.a.f

Reaction score
ali777 said:
s.a.f said:
So what is it then? maybe not 1 - 300 but the fact is that there are'nt many bald guys who get to be sex symbol status. There are many many bald guys out there but how come only a few have made it to that level? How many bald models do you see? In physical attractivness terms the average bald guy is more of a Jason Alexander than a Statham.

SAF, are you feeling OK mate? This post doesn't sound much like you.

If you were talking only about “sex symbolsâ€￾ then you are right. There aren't that many sex symbols who are bald.

However, saying that the average bald guy is more like Jason Alexander?

PS: Would you say Rooney is a sex symbol?

I'm just agreeing with qball and smooth. I'm talking about the standard often repeated response of shave your head / get a tan ect ect and everything will be fine for you, it just is'nt true for many guys.
What I'm saying is for practicly all men its going to have a negative impact, thats the truth. If Brad Pitt had gone bald at a young age we would'nt be talking about him now because he would'nt be famous.
When I say sex symbol I dont just mean moviestars I also mean the guys amongst your peers or at your workplace/neighbourhood who attract the sexual attention the women I'd say its extremly rarefor a bald guy to fall into this catagory.
Rooney may be able to attract women because of his status but what if he was a bartender? Unlike Pitt, Cruise or Beckham who would have women falling at their feet wether they were famous or not.
Ps I'm not falling in with the defeatists / pessimists crew being bald is'nt the end but I'm just being realistic that it does have an impact.

FFS

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
ali777 said:
[quote="s.a.f":jotj6uev]So what is it then? maybe not 1 - 300 but the fact is that there are'nt many bald guys who get to be sex symbol status. There are many many bald guys out there but how come only a few have made it to that level? How many bald models do you see? In physical attractivness terms the average bald guy is more of a Jason Alexander than a Statham.

SAF, are you feeling OK mate? This post doesn't sound much like you.

If you were talking only about “sex symbolsâ€￾ then you are right. There aren't that many sex symbols who are bald.

However, saying that the average bald guy is more like Jason Alexander?

PS: Would you say Rooney is a sex symbol?

I'm just agreeing with qball and smooth. I'm talking about the standard often repeated response of shave your head / get a tan ect ect and everything will be fine for you, it just is'nt true for many guys.
What I'm saying is for practicly all men its going to have a negative impact, thats the truth. If Brad Pitt had gone bald at a young age we would'nt be talking about him now because he would'nt be famous.
When I say sex symbol I dont just mean moviestars I also mean the guys amongst your peers or at your workplace/neighbourhood who attract the sexual attention the women I'd say its extremly rarefor a bald guy to fall into this catagory.
Rooney may be able to attract women because of his status but what if he was a bartender? Unlike Pitt, Cruise or Beckham who would have women falling at their feet wether they were famous or not.
Ps I'm not falling in with the defeatists / pessimists crew being bald is'nt the end but I'm just being realistic that it does have an impact.[/quote:jotj6uev]
Well said, that's exactly how it really is and everybody who says now it's all about confidence.... is in denial!! And even if it was, why would u be confident if u are an avarage balding guy, with an average income and u don't really have anything to show for?

s.a.f

Reaction score
FFS said:
Well said, that's exactly how it really is and everybody who says now it's all about confidence.... is in denial!! And even if it was, why would u be confident if u are an avarage balding guy, with an average income and u don't really have anything to show for?
Thats it, a guy with no confidence will fail all the time but a guy with confidence will still fail if he looks bad. You'd be better off being somewhere inbetween.

Mr Norwoods

Reaction score
I've seen first hand that short guys have a rough time of things... some women are extremely dismissive of men who are of below average height. On the other hand, most women are not totally dismissive of a guy who is balding, even if they'd prefer it if the dude had hair.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Mr Norwoods said:
I've seen first hand that short guys have a rough time of things... some women are extremely dismissive of men who are of below average height. On the other hand, most women are not totally dismissive of a guy who is balding, even if they'd prefer it if the dude had hair.

Thank you, most of the guys who don't believe there is height discrimination are the guys who are of average height and above (5'10 and above). People say "Well get big by lifting weights!" The problem is have you ever seen guys my size get big? It easily shows how short they actually are while being lean and mean (har har) to me helps me at least still look somewhat tall.

metropolis

Established Member
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
[...] Entering high school was a nightmare, [...]

Same here. My high school years were horrible: I had barely any friends, I was beat up and humiliated on a daily basis and had a mother that made Norma Bates look like Doris Day.

And then, as if things weren't bad enough already, enter male pattern baldness at the age of 17. :woot:

I never give up without a fight, though. I did my research and found out about Propecia. That solved my hair loss problem (I was probably the first man in Portugal to use finasteride to treat male pattern baldness). I survived high school, went to the best law faculty in my country, finished my graduation in Germany with a DAAD scholarship and now I have a great job in the government.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
It looks like Obi feels exactly the same way I do about being bald as he does about being short...the same insecurities, the same inferiority complex, the same sense of persecution. So I will respect and acknowledge his suffering as being justified, instead of trying to downplay his emotions and trivialize his suffering like he and many others here try to do to me. Yes Obi, it must really suck being short. I could go out and get a wig or save up for an hair transplant but there is nothing you could do about your height other than wearing some ridiculous platform shoes...so I'm sorry for your situation and I hope that you come to terms with it and find a cute little petite hottie that falls madly in love with you and makes you feel seven feet tall.

s.a.f

Reaction score
FFS said:
Wrong, there are surgerys which will make your legs grow....
Yeah if you want to have your legs repeatedly broken and spend like 1 year in recovery just to gain 1 inch. (sounds like a great option) :whistle:

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
More like 3-4 months for 2 inches with an internal lengthening device, we have advanced a bit from the old practices of those external torture like devices that take forever to recover from. And apparently a lot of the recovery time is spent on crutches (included in the 3-4 months) so it would be possible to get this done in the summer holiday between uni-years and show up two inches taller at the beginning of the new year, although maybe in crutches as it all depends on how fast you heal but you would still be able to get around.

If anybody is interested I got this info from http://www.makemetaller.info/ , it basically is the hairlosstalk.com of the leg lengthening world.

s.a.f

Reaction score
diffuse propecia said:
More like 3-4 months for 2 inches with an internal lengthening device, we have advanced a bit from the old practices of those external torture like devices that take forever to recover from. And apparently a lot of the recovery time is spent on crutches (included in the 3-4 months) so it would be possible to get this done in the summer holiday between uni-years and show up two inches taller at the beginning of the new year, although maybe in crutches as it all depends on how fast you heal but you would still be able to get around.

Oh my mistake it sounds like a great idea, and I would'nt be even slightly worried about having greatly weakened leg bones, scarring severe pain and legs that were disprportionaly longer than the rest of my body.
PS is that 2 inches the same for everyone? So a 4'7" person and a 5'7" inch person would both get exactly the same increase?

cuebald

Reaction score
my%20pins%20(3).jpg

Petchsky

Reaction score
I'd love to be a few inches taller, but f*** that. :shock: Guess hairloss bothers me more

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
Well there could be complications, but you have to understand most people view this in the same light of an hair transplant ie. the only result is primitive doll hair. The reality is that with a good doctor, you can put these worries to rest. Just check out the forum, there is a lot of people who have gone a head with the operation and have had amazing results and no apparent side-effects, ie. no scarring, lack of proportionality or severely weekend bones. Again it all depends on the Doctor. you get, some are butchers while others will take everything into account deciding if you are a suitable candidate such as checking the inherent strength of your bones, the proportions of arms to legs and so on. I have even heard of people getting up to 10-15 cm ( 4-6 inches) and are happy with their new lives.

And it is more like this now:-
iskd_small.jpg

but the external ones are still used, as they are a cheaper option for some. Although if anybody were to get the operation performed I recommend not sparring any expenses and going for an internal device. I understand to some people that this may seem to be a bit drastic although you have to understand that this operation has helped many insecure and depressed people to attain their goals and start enjoying their lives.

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
Oh and btw the issues regarding weakness generally only come into play after a 10 cm ( 4 in) increase in height.

s.a.f

Reaction score
diffuse propecia said:
Oh and btw the issues regarding weakness generally only come into play after a 10 cm ( 4 in) increase in height.
Thats Bollocks, anytime you break a bone the site where it heals will always be significantly weaker than the surrounding area. So with multiple breaks you will stand a much bigger chance of having problems later in life.

Smooth

Experienced Member
Reaction score
omfg, this is just freakinsh, id rather be 1.6m' then go throw this sh*t!

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
It is only one break per operation, not multiple. And what I mean by that is that yes while it may be weaker it should not be weak enough to impair your normal life if you stay at 10 cm or under.

Boondock

Reaction score
I'm short as well as balding. I'd probably trade a couple of inches for a full head of hair, but any more than that and I'd be pretty screwed.

ali777

Reaction score
I already have long legs. If I was to have such an operation to make myself taller, I would look like a freak. When we were teenagers some of my friends used to tease me that I have girlie legs :)

A true story... One day our secretary walked in and said the taller guys have been complaining about the ergonomics of the desks and the chairs, etc. She completely ignored me and asked another guy if he wants different desk and chair. I was like WTF, I'm taller than him. Just because the guy has a big torso and sits tall, people mistakenly assume he's tall. Someone like him, ie with a longer torso, would probably benefit from leg lengthening surgery, but I somehow doubt that a normal person would actually want to have an operation for the sake of vanity.