Being short is worse than going bald for me

diffuse propecia

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
I already have long legs. If I was to have such an operation to make myself taller, I would look like a freak. When we were teenagers some of my friends used to tease me that I have girlie legs :)

A true story... One day our secretary walked in and said the taller guys have been complaining about the ergonomics of the desks and the chairs, etc. She completely ignored me and asked another guy if he wants different desk and chair. I was like WTF, I'm taller than him. Just because the guy has a big torso and sits tall, people mistakenly assume he's tall. Someone like him, ie with a longer torso, would probably benefit from leg lengthening surgery, but I somehow doubt that a normal person would actually want to have an operation for the sake of vanity.

I agree, and I would never insist on anybody to perform such a drastic operation although I was just pointing out how the option does exist and some people do take that option and are happy with the choice.

Jokerman

Established Member
Reaction score
The chair thing is true. Being pretty tall myself I never seem to find a desk chair that's comfortable.

Forget about women... rejoice ye short people for you have all the chairs in the world to bring you happiness.

BoilerRoom

Established Member
Reaction score
To a point, I believe being short is much worse.

I'd image being 5'5" or less makes it really hard to get girls. Girls want to feel protected somewhat and be at least moderately shorter than their guy; it's primal.

ClayShaw

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BoilerRoom said:
To a point, I believe being short is much worse.

I'd image being 5'5" or less makes it really hard to get girls. Girls want to feel protected somewhat and be at least moderately shorter than their guy; it's primal.

True, but I know plenty of hot 5 footers.
I'm about 5'11", and I'd gladly trade 6 inches for a full head of hair and reasonable skin. I know that its easy for me to say, and I know it doesn't work like that.

WorldofWarcraft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
DoctorHouse said:
Obsidian, it could be worse. You could be ugly too. At least most girls will find you attractive. You are just going to have to date girls shorter than you. Being ugly is worse than being short and bald.

LOL I am ugly and will second your post through my experience. here here!

jonsie150

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'4 1/2 and I have diffuse thinning on top. Plus I'm only 23.

You know how they're thinking about sending astronauts to Mars? Once, I told a friend I'd NEVER do that cause you have to put in 7-10 years of your life. Now, I probably would mind being blasted off from the face of the Earth. At least I'll have a high school named after me afterwards.

Reaction score
I think I know what you guys are talking about when you say you're 5'11", or 6' and feel merely average...I live in the UK and I'm 5'10" (officially "average" height for my generation), but I'm frequently referred to as short by guys who are like 5'11 - 6' - I personally think this is the new average range. Admittedly, I do hunch and make myself perhaps appear like a 5'8 - 5'9 guy, but it's still quite strange to be called short at 5'10"...

Bald Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Being short can be a burden when looking for a gf but only if you let it! Some women want a guy thats taller than them, some don't and some don't care so it all depends on the woman really. My advice is probably go for a woman thats shorter than you :hump:

I am a short guy (5"6) but about 75 % of women are probably shorter than me so thats not bad odds :)

I have also seen many short guys with taller gf's at my local town centre so just remember its all about preference.

placenotsobo

Reaction score
I dated a girl who was 6ft3 once... Was pretty weird, but I guess she was in the "so tall it actually turns guys off" range, so there was no way she would only go for guys taller than her.

first

Established Member
Reaction score
6 feet is actually the average height amongst young males in Sweden (age 25-34).

Most average numbers will include those who are not fully grown (age 15-20) and those who have shrunk due to age (age 35 and above), so it does not give a true representation of the average height in for example college.

first

Established Member
Reaction score
ali777 said:
A true story... One day our secretary walked in and said the taller guys have been complaining about the ergonomics of the desks and the chairs, etc. She completely ignored me and asked another guy if he wants different desk and chair. I was like WTF, I'm taller than him. Just because the guy has a big torso and sits tall, people mistakenly assume he's tall.
Why would the guy with the short torso need a new desk?

Steve-93

Reaction score
I'm a little over 6'1 and pretty happy at this point. My height is worth to me a lot more than my hair. A receding hairline is a natural process, 95% of the men develop one during their life. When you walk around on the street, naturally, you see a lot of men with a crooked hairline without being confronted with your hair.

When it comes to height on the other hand, you are constantly confronted with it. If you'd be short you would feel it every time you meet someone, walk on the street, at work, school,gym. In short, always! If you're balding you could buzz it off, grow a beard as a slight compensation. However, when you're short, there's nothing much you can do about it. Elevator shoes? Could give you 2 inches over other people, but at 5'6-7 that still would still be a stretch. You would never be able to take off your shoes anywhere without people noticing, you won't even be able to properly run on those shoes.

So,

Height is definetely a larger issue than hair.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score
im happy to be 5'11, from all the girls ive talked to none of them could go out with a guy thats shorter than them, they like guys who are between 1.80 and 1.90 it sucks but its true, so if ur short its a huge disasvantage as unfair as it is cause u cant choose ur height, as long as the girls shorter than u it should all be okay.

Thickandthin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think I take my height for granted the same way NW1s take their hair for granted.

I was watching Entourage the other day and was looking at some of the characters hairlines and wishing I could trade places with them, but the two actors in question (Kevin Connolly and Jerry Ferrara) are only like 5'4"!
In that case I'm not sure it would be worth it.

I'm 6 foot even and I might give up 2 inches to be a NW1 (lifelong NW1 of course), but that's about it. Honestly I feel short enough even at 6 feet - on campus I am about average height, and it's not at all unusual for me to be standing in line somewhere and be the shortest guy around. I especially noticed at a bar the other night - I was trying to get a drink and the two guys to my left waiting were about 6'4" and the two to my right were 6'2"ish. It's crazy how many tall people there are.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Almost 6'2" here, but my height in itself is not a saving grace when combined with being almost nw6. It doesn't make up for sh*t. They want tall dark and handsome, dark usually meaning hair color. If they mean skin color then hairloss wouldn't mean as much anyway. By the same token, being short in itself is not worse than being fully bald. But being really short and bald is worse than being just bald so sink thread, sink to the bottom of the deep black sea.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
lol - what a sh*t thread

Im 5 7" (small but not overly small over here in Ireland - it hasn't cost me with girls ever) and balding. Im a decent looking guy (id say above average with the hair, heading towards average now they way my hairs going). Id say being 5 9" would be the same in relative size over in America from what i've seen.

Anyway - if you honestly have convinced yourself that a having a few extra inchs is better than having a full head of hair then you're deluding yourself. Dont get me wrong, ideally i'd like to be 5 10"ish but its the hair i want to maintain/regrow.

I mean you've just found one favourable characteristic abotu yourself (height) and decided it neutralises something completely unrelated in baldness? Im sure ive got various unrealated things over you either physically, financially or personality related - everyone has different starting points either with or without hair, but that's neither here nor there unless we're having a competition?

worldlyman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm about 5'9". I've still got a full head of thick straight black hair, a good muscular bod due to working out consistently and a boyish face...and I'm 41. When you still get your fair share of young chicks to sophisticated ladies of different races of varying heights checking you out, I guess you're doing OK.

So, nah. I wouldn't trade my overall looks for more inches. I've always said height in and of itself is not the main difference with most women. A great many women you encounter are from 5'2-5"6 anyway...so it's not really a great requirement for a man to be 6 ft or so just to get affirmative female attention.

As with height, it's not a requirement for a man to have hair or money to get positive female attention either.

amsch

Reaction score
worldlyman said:
I'm about 5'9". I've still got a full head of thick straight black hair, a good muscular bod due to working out consistently and a boyish face...and I'm 41. When you still get your fair share of young chicks to sophisticated ladies of different races of varying heights checking you out, I guess you're doing OK.

So, nah. I wouldn't trade my overall looks for more inches. I've always said height in and of itself is not the main difference with most women. A great many women you encounter are from 5'2-5"6 anyway...so it's not really a great requirement for a man to be 6 ft or so just to get affirmative female attention.

As with height, it's not a requirement for a man to have hair or money to get positive female attention either.
So the reason why you're on a hairloss board is... ?