Been On Finasteride For Awhile, Should I Be Worried About These Baby Hairs?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Title.

I've been on Finasteride for going on 2 years. Overall, my styled hair looks the same if not better since starting. However, I'm starting to get paranoid of these baby/miniaturizing hairs I see at my hair line; am I losing ground? I feel like I was worried about them last year as well but my hair hasn't seem to have gotten any worse. I didn't respond to minoxdil when I used it so I'm debating trying dutasteride once or twice a week for extra protection.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Listen Jon Snow... you're a negative Norwood right now so sit back, compare your hair line to other users here, and then breathe a sigh of relief. I've been on Finasteride for roughly 19 months now and my temples have experienced shedding and miniaturization followed by stabilization and thickening.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Title.

I've been on Finasteride for going on 2 years. Overall, my styled hair looks the same if not better since starting. However, I'm starting to get paranoid of these baby/miniaturizing hairs I see at my hair line; am I losing ground? I feel like I was worried about them last year as well but my hair hasn't seem to have gotten any worse. I didn't respond to minoxdil when I used it so I'm debating trying dutasteride once or twice a week for extra protection.
Your hair is fine. What's going on in your life that is triggering your BDD?

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude, quit worrying. Seriously your hair is thick AF

I've been on Finasteride for roughly 19 months now and my temples have experienced shedding and miniaturization followed by stabilization and thickening.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread with this question, but how long did this cycle take for you?

Alpha Tortoise

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeaaah.. You should probably just stay off the forum to avoid contracting any fear of balding or whatever.

Reaction score
Dude, quit worrying. Seriously your hair is thick AF

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread with this question, but how long did this cycle take for you?

Roughly every three months I have a massive shed. Toward the end I notice little hair fall and areas that I thought would surely never recover start to fill in with thicker hair than what was there prior. As many have said before, it's a roller-coaster ride and even when we're steadily approaching the peak... well, we know what comes next.

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmm... that's the first time I've heard anyone mention shedding regularly at such short intervals.
So towards the end meaning that your temples started recovering at month 18/19?

I'm at month 17 right now.... and my temples have become frighteningly thin. This happened over six months ago. Before that, finasteride seemed to be holding my hair in place. Now I don't know if that's a shed.... and if it is, should it have recovered by now..
I'm staying on of course...... and hoping for the best

Reaction score
Correct, my hairline is a little better than the state it was originally in. As of a couple of months ago I would have sworn I was approaching a NW2 but for the past 2 years I've maintained as a NW1.5. I've been in your position countless times.. "Is this shed permanent? Should I just shave my head?" What gives me comfort now is that I look at my baseline pictures and then I see where I am now and I realize that my hair is in a much better place.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@davesmith420 I think you are a good contributer to this forum but what the hell are you doing on this here all day with a full head of hair?? You have a better hairline than my girlfriend! Full heads on hairloss forums is the most puzzling thing ive heard of, except maybe straight men on gay dating sites.

DHTpolice

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
How is your baseline looked? Does minoxidil help with the hair density on sides?

Mr. Prince

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
We don't have any baseline pics to compare this to. You have nice thick norwood 0 hair. If min is not working and your only other option is dutasteride then just wait a little a bit to make sure you're actually losing ground. dutasteride is just too strong of a drug to take when you have nice hair.

Mr. Prince

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are some baseline pictures of my hair; first is from May 2015 and second is from Dec 2015 (a couple days before I started finasteride). I think the lighting and angle makes it look a lot worse than it was, but I did have a derm confirm that I was starting to recede a bit. Minoxidil didn't do a whole lot for me, all it did was age my skin.

Amazing results! I'm happy for you. Your current hair is way better than baseline and honestly I don't see any signs of recession. I think you're fine for now. Please keep us updated.

Eren

Established Member
Reaction score
In all honesty, it doesn't even look like you have male pattern baldness.

Barely any recession visible. A receding hairline doesn't necessarily manifest itself as male pattern baldness. Thinning = male pattern baldness, recession does not necessarily equate to male pattern baldness.

Mitt Romney, for instance, does not have male pattern baldness imo. He did have hair loss though. Yeah losing hair Mitt Romney style or being slick bald is completely different.

Anyway, keep taking finasteride. If you don't have side effects, at least it'll give you a peace of mind. I'm baffled though, by the fact that you're active on this forum while still having this kind of thick, very stylable hair. Why the f*ck are you here lol. You're still a full head. GTFO and enjoy life.

cand9999834.jpg

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
your temples look fully recovered now

Amazing results! I'm happy for you. Your current hair is way better than baseline and honestly I don't see any signs of recession. I think you're fine for now. Please keep us updated.

Thank you guys. I think those pictures make my hair 2 years ago look a lot worse than it was but I was starting to recede a little. When my derm wrote my finasteride script he told me "You're still a Norwood 1 but I can see that you're starting to recede a little."

razzmatazz91

My Regimen
Reaction score
Correct, my hairline is a little better than the state it was originally in. As of a couple of months ago I would have sworn I was approaching a NW2 but for the past 2 years I've maintained as a NW1.5. I've been in your position countless times.. "Is this shed permanent? Should I just shave my head?" What gives me comfort now is that I look at my baseline pictures and then I see where I am now and I realize that my hair is in a much better place.

You have no idea how many prayers I have hanging to your post here man. Have you posted your pics here from which I can see what it was like for you?

My temple hair was very miniaturized when I started, but not vellus. And it's been gone for so long in really worried it may be the end of the road for me.
Of course, I'll stay on the drug for at least another 6 months. There are guys who have recovered only after going through hell for a long time on propecia.