Any Experience With Very Low Dose Oral Minoxidil (less Than 5 Mg)

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m still on minoxidil at 5mg a day once a day now orally. I tried once a day because my eye swelling is so bad. I know no one has ever solved the issue of swelling in the face so just be careful and if you’re just starting, USE IT WITH A DIURETIC. I’m not a bad looking guy and now my face is bloated and hair dependent on this dumb *** drug
You know what, after all these years, you still have a lot of hair.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
You know what, after all these years, you still have a lot of hair.

It’s been a battle brother. I’ve pretty much ruined my life over this though. I will say minoxidil orally grew my hair like it used to when I was young. No hairline growth, but my hair health is way better. It really messed up my face though. I’m almost a week off and my eyes are starting to de-puff just a little.

I realized that it also made my cheeks and near my nose very red. Pretty much destroys your face from salt/fluid retention

WMQ

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s been a battle brother. I’ve pretty much ruined my life over this though. I will say minoxidil orally grew my hair like it used to when I was young. No hairline growth, but my hair health is way better. It really messed up my face though. I’m almost a week off and my eyes are starting to de-puff just a little.

I realized that it also made my cheeks and near my nose very red. Pretty much destroys your face from salt/fluid retention

Can definitely relate to everything you say man. Life just revolves around trying to stay less bald and dodging side effects it's such a joke. Interesting what you said about oral minoxidil making your hair grow healthier. That's something I've been trying hard to achieve but never really accomplished in this downward spiral of losing hair. Even when I regained some thickness at certain point with some exotic custom minoxidil with progesterone and all, the hair just never felt the same as when I was younger. It just feels and acts differently (dead, not standing like normal hair etc.)

Also think I have all the facial side effects you mentioned from minoxidil but I've been applying it for like a lifetime I just stopped caring lol

How's your scalp now? I remember you mentioning very bad scalp inflammation. Any other treatments?

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I decided to quit oral minoxidil.After 4,5 months Ive seen no improvements in scalp hair whatsoever.I think its even worse than before...It looks like its putting my donor area through cycles so I wont be using it anymore.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Can definitely relate to everything you say man. Life just revolves around trying to stay less bald and dodging side effects it's such a joke. Interesting what you said about oral minoxidil making your hair grow healthier. That's something I've been trying hard to achieve but never really accomplished in this downward spiral of losing hair. Even when I regained some thickness at certain point with some exotic custom minoxidil with progesterone and all, the hair just never felt the same as when I was younger. It just feels and acts differently (dead, not standing like normal hair etc.)

Also think I have all the facial side effects you mentioned from minoxidil but I've been applying it for like a lifetime I just stopped caring lol

How's your scalp now? I remember you mentioning very bad scalp inflammation. Any other treatments?

So you’re on topical minoxidil which I did use when I was about 20, (I’m now 28). When I had a mega burst of hairloss and scalp inflammation I think I was about 22 so I had quit minoxidil and finasteride at the time to weed out the cause. My right temple head not ever stopped itching and receding in about 8 years. My left side kinda held on.

I tried everything man. Spironolactone, which I’m allergic to and broke out in hives everywhere lol, Cypro, setipiprant, doxycycline high and low doses, itraconazole, I had prp done, a kenalog injection, dutasteride and now oral minoxidil.
I’m a member of the private group.. we had a gb for minoxidil sulfate and it does work, but it FUCKED my face. It work 20x better than topical ever did on me. I even tried using furosemide with it and still had sh*t facial bloating. Are you located in the U.S?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I decided to quit oral minoxidil.After 4,5 months Ive seen no improvements in scalp hair whatsoever.I think its even worse than before...It looks like its putting my donor area through cycles so I wont be using it anymore.
I would give it a little more time to work. Visible results can take longer than 4½ months to show.

UnknownT

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Did you still receed or lose ground on oral minoxidil?

Have you been able to achieve hairline regrowth? I think this is what we all crave but can never achieve.

Id say ive seen a very small regrowth along where my hairline is on oral but not enough for it to be noticeable by anyone but me

Obsessive

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So you’re on topical minoxidil which I did use when I was about 20, (I’m now 28). When I had a mega burst of hairloss and scalp inflammation I think I was about 22 so I had quit minoxidil and finasteride at the time to weed out the cause. My right temple head not ever stopped itching and receding in about 8 years. My left side kinda held on.

I tried everything man. Spironolactone, which I’m allergic to and broke out in hives everywhere lol, Cypro, setipiprant, doxycycline high and low doses, itraconazole, I had prp done, a kenalog injection, dutasteride and now oral minoxidil.
I’m a member of the private group.. we had a gb for minoxidil sulfate and it does work, but it FUCKED my face. It work 20x better than topical ever did on me. I even tried using furosemide with it and still had sh*t facial bloating. Are you located in the U.S?
Can you PM some details about your min sulfate source? The Chinese vendors I interacted with were passing off something other than min s. and/or didn't provide chemical characterization data.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would give it a little more time to work. Visible results can take longer than 4½ months to show.
My donor area is thinner because of it,that's why I'm quitting it.Some people have issues with minoxidil shedding their hair in cycles,and each cycle makes their hair thinner.It happened to me with topical minoxidil(was using it for 2+ years),its happening with oral again.I have to quit it before its too late.It looks like hormonal route+transplant is my only choice.

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been told oral minoxidil shed is strong, many need drugs stronger than finasteride/duta to survive the shed. Perhaps this is the cause behind loosing ground on such regimen.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My donor area is thinner because of it,that's why I'm quitting it.Some people have issues with minoxidil shedding their hair in cycles,and each cycle makes their hair thinner.It happened to me with topical minoxidil(was using it for 2+ years),its happening with oral again.I have to quit it before its too late.It looks like hormonal route+transplant is my only choice.
I wouldn't have thought that minoxidil can actually cause hair loss other than a temporary shed. I can't think of any reason that should happen. But I'll take your word for it. It is of course important to rule out other possible causes of this hair loss as well as the effect of placebo.

I advise you to think long and hard before attempting to use transsexual drugs for treating hair loss. These drugs have serious feminizing, sexual, and other side-effects. It is not a route that I would go down myself, but I don't judge who do choose to go down this route. I guess it all depends on how much you value your hair at the end of the day, and how much you'd be willing to risk in order to keep your hair.

Slid

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought that minoxidil can actually cause hair loss other than a temporary shed. I can't think of any reason that should happen. But I'll take your word for it. It is of course important to rule out other possible causes of this hair loss as well as the effect of placebo.

I advise you to think long and hard before attempting to use transsexual drugs for treating hair loss. These drugs have serious feminizing, sexual, and other side-effects. It is not a route that I would go down myself, but I don't judge who do choose to go down this route. I guess it all depends on how much you value your hair at the end of the day, and how much you'd be willing to risk in order to keep your hair.

No no no.I wasnt talking about tranny drugs,I was thinking about fina or duta.I think that 2+ years is enough time to draw a conclusion that minoxidil is doing more damage than DHT.Oral minoxidil is basically the same more potent stuff,so I dont see how it would do anything different compared to topical minoxidil(which was destroying my hair).

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, i stopped oral minoxidil yesterday after around 5 months on it. noticing too much wrinkles on eyes area, hands and feet. I am only 21 and didn't have any wrinkles in the eye area 5 months ago. I am 100% certain of that

It's incredible how this stuff can demolish collagen, it is definitely not a myth

Last edited:

lawyeah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Okay, i stopped oral minoxidil yesterday after around 5 months on it. noticing too much wrinkles on eyes area, hands and feet. I am only 21 and didn't have any wrinkles in the eye area 5 months ago. I am 100% certain of that

It's incredible how this stuff can demolish collagen, it is definitely not a myth
did you try oral castor oil alongside ? i'm 2 weeks in and it definitely helps with the collagen inhibition of minoxidil, i have less wrinkles on the face

lawyeah

My Regimen
Reaction score
i don't really know but it boosts collagen and elastin, btw i didn't see any regrowth on oral castor oil. I only use it for the skin. i heard also that castor oil is a good durietic but that are just suppositions