Anon123's Story - (19)

Anon123

Reaction score
Anon123's Story , 5 Year finasteride update (24)

Hey everyone, thought I'd give a post, heres my story:

Turning 20 in about a month here, Probably first started taking notice of hairloss a year and a half ago. Theres history of male pattern baldness on my dad's side of the family, Brother is 28 and almost completely bald, dad is 52 and fairly bald, but no history on mothers side. My first tip off I guess was when my Hairdresser told me I was looking a bit thin on top, she just told me to start using nioxin, which I did. I had always lost a lot of hair when showering, probably 2 or 3 years now. I have naturally really thick and curly hair, so I don't shed all over the place as some people do, as it gets contained within the curls. So I never really took much notice about shedding until my Hairdresser said that. However, I continued with the nioxin and some conditions seemed to improve, But i didnt really notice any huge signs of balding, temples and hairline were fairly normal, especially to where my brother was when he was 20. So that was October of 2009 when I was told I was looking thin on top, and I guess I really didn't notice too much of anything until September of 2010. My hair is now pretty thin all over, It dosent curl like it used to, and my crown is noticeable. I don't know how this occured so quickly. My Brother had it bad, but at least he receded at the hairline and temples, and the rest of his head remained intact. With me Its definitley diffuse, which is odd because that dosent run in my family. My hair was longer than in these pics before I started propecia, and I noticed my hair was feeling lighter/thinner/not as curly as it was But i Didnt really expect progression of baldness. However, I cut my hair to my usual fro length and realized I could basically lift a curly and see through too the scalp, and a month later when seeing my vertex I really flipped ****. Needless to say, this has basically taken ahold of my life now.

So this January I started Propecia (been about a month and a half) along with other vitamins and such, Saw Palmetto, Vitamin E, Biotin, Pumpkin seed etc.
I'm going to just use the propecia for a while here and see if things stabalize, Im still losing as much hair as I always. I think if things don't stabalize by summer Im going to buzz it and start with the rogaine, cause with my hair as it is now itd be impossible to apply. No one really thinks I am balding, Ive told a few people and they've been like, really? But Im flipping ****.

Any comments, advice, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    264.6 KB · Views: 1,708
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 1,687
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    319.8 KB · Views: 1,608

Michael84

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: My Story, Pics included, advice appreciated

At the moment it looks like a "mature" hairline and a small natural vertex. Just take pills and forget about your hair.

Anon123

Reaction score
Re: My Story, Pics included, advice appreciated

So im about 2 months into propecia, shedding hasnt slowed down yet, and im going to say that its increased a bit on propecia, hair seems to be thinner than before treatment started. Needless to say this has been pretty rapid, im going to book an appointment with derm. dont know what awnsers i will get. BTW, has anyone ever heard of poor shower conditions (i.e. sediment/minerals from dirty water heater) attributing to shedding/bad scalp conditions.
Any opinions and comments would be greatly appreciated.

ice2613

Reaction score
same position as you, been on proscar 1/4 everyday since January, shedding the same as i was before propecia, seeing thinner and thinner hairs. Most people say just ride it out but idk man

Anon123

Reaction score
2 months in here, going to be switching from propecia to quartered generic finasteride tablets today, we'll see how this goes.

Anon123

Reaction score
So just a quick update, End of this month will mark 4 months. Shedding seems to be slowing down quite a bit actually. At the start of my regime, if I washed my hair in the shower once every 3 days, I could expect to see about 150 hairs in the shower and a similar amount after brushing. Now if i wash my hair after 3 days Im starting to only see about 30-50 hairs in the shower and a fair bit less when brushing. This might seem like a lot, but having curly hair increases the ammount lost in the shower, as it isnt lost as much when just walking around.
Regine so far has been:
1mg finasteride/day
1000mg msm/day
saw palmetto
biotin
pumpkin seed extract

Im not exactly happy with my hair right now, still really thing on top, but its long enough now that i can kind of shape it like id like, and temples are hidden, allthough temples arent bad and have remained stable, they are just thinner. Crown is still thin, maybe getting a bit thicker? who knows. The slowing of shedding is great so far though, so we'll see what happens.

Megadeth

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish I had as much hair as you do.

I don't see Nizoral 2% in your regime. I would add that. It's a mild anti-androgen and can act as a stimulant.

Anon123

Reaction score
Hey all,
So a bit of a 5 year update on this! Been on Finasteride for just about 5 years now and had pretty great regrowth for the first 3-4 years. It seems this last year I've really slided backwards though, probably back to/below baseline. I'm thinking of jumping on minoxidil. Temples really haven't moved much in 5 years, crown might be a bit thinner. Can I expect finasteride to keep my at baseline? Getting lots of itch and some more shedding this winter for sure.

Anon123

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of photos, will post soon!
Is it possible for finasteride to stop working completely after 5 years? I thought I was a pretty good responder but it seems like shedding/itching has really picked up in the last while. Any advice?

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
First off congrats on the long term success! It won't stop "working" it might just be that your hair is becoming more sensitive to DHT. I think adding minoxidil will help you out. Or you could always give dutasteride a shot.

Anon123

Reaction score
Here are some photos after 5 years on finasteride...compare to original. I've been getting a lot of shedding this winter and it seems harder to grow out longer. My hair seemed much much thicker 2 years ago so I knew I was a responder because it was thickened. I think I've back slided a bit. You can see that my frontal region has been pretty preserved, but I was a diffuse thinner from the get go. Is it to be expected that finasteride stops working? I've been taking 1.25 proscar for 5 years now. Need advice please!!!!

Frontal, 3 months growth
20160212_170145 (2).jpg
Crown 3 months grown
20160212_170343 (2).jpg
Temple, 3 months grown
20160212_170128 (2).jpg

Crown wet, buzzed
20160212_180620 (2).jpg
Crown dry, buzzed
20160212_183122 (2).jpg
Frontal, buzzed
20160212_180702 (2).jpg

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here are some photos after 5 years on finasteride...compare to original. I've been getting a lot of shedding this winter and it seems harder to grow out longer. My hair seemed much much thicker 2 years ago so I knew I was a responder because it was thickened. I think I've back slided a bit. You can see that my frontal region has been pretty preserved, but I was a diffuse thinner from the get go. Is it to be expected that finasteride stops working? I've been taking 1.25 proscar for 5 years now. Need advice please!!!!

Frontal, 3 months growth
View attachment 38185
Crown 3 months grown
View attachment 38186
Temple, 3 months grown
View attachment 38187

Crown wet, buzzed
View attachment 38188
Crown dry, buzzed
View attachment 38189
Frontal, buzzed
View attachment 38190

Like I said man, what happened is that your hair probably became more sensitive to DHT. I think you should either add minoxidil or switch to dutasteride.

Your hairline looks like mine I hope I can get the same results/maintenance that you got.

kuca

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from this pictures at leats in my opinione it looks that you are still above baseline

Anon123

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
A couple things I should add...

-the first two years on finasteride a put on quite a bit of extra weight and it was very hard to lose any. These last two years I've managed to drop about 40 pounds with diet and exercise. Could this be a result of the dht levels going up? Could the hair thinning be due to weightloss/dieting? My hairline has basically stayed intact over these 5 years which is atypical for my family, but the overall thinness has increased.

-If I've dropped to baseline can I expect finasteride to maintain baseline or do I need to add others.

-Would adding dutasteride once or twice a week make a difference?

jorgedudicoff

Reaction score
Honestly man treatment is working perfectly, from pictures your even better than baseline and this is 5 years after, Add minoxidil if you want, but I'm pretty sure NOBODY would think your balding with that much hair.

Anon123

Reaction score
Gr8 advice m8. Reading the original post would have revealed I'm already taking finasteride and have been for 5 years.