Anon123's Story - (19)

Anon123

Reaction score
Started with 5% minoxidil today. Am going to taper onto it for the first bit to hopefully avoid a huge shed but I will report back with results. Hoping this will help restore some density as I'm more so a diffuse thinner with most in crown.

Anon123

Reaction score
So I've been going 1.5 ml minoxidil once every 2 days for 3 weeks now in hopes of slowly introducing myself to minoxidil. Shedding has definitely picked up....will slowly move to regular doses. Hopefully this shedding is a good sign...

Anon123

Reaction score
So I've been using minoxidil once every night but using 2ml. Not any regrowth but the shedding has slowed I think. My one temple which was a little more thinned has gotten way more defused. I'm hoping this regrows. I'm thinking of making the jump from finasteride to dutasteride but I have no idea as to how about getting it.

Anon123

Reaction score
So just about at 4 months here on minoxidil...it seems to have given some regrowth in my crown but had really done a number on my frontal area and temples. My one temple which was fine before has started to difuse along with the entire frontal region. Is this normal? I'm going to see about getting a dutasteride prescription tomorrow.

yrotsih

Reaction score
I am pretty sure you are just stressing about for no reason. If you maintained 5 yrs on finasteride and are still taking it, I doubt there will be any significant change. Post pics for reassurance !

Anon123

Reaction score
So my doctor gave me a prescription for dutasteride today...1x .5mg every 2 days as he said it was quite a bit more potent. Have people had success with taking dutasteride every 2 days vs. 1mg finasteride daily? finasteride definitely stabilized and regrew a bit for like 3 years but I've been slowly sliding back to below baseline and my frontal region is now probably under. Hairline looks about the same but Im diffuse so.

Anon123

Reaction score
Update:

So I've been on dutasteride .5mg every 2 days since July and minoxidil 5% for a year now. I would say that my shedding had drastically slowed down in October since starting dutasteride and I had regained much of the hair I lost from shedding when I started minoxidil.

However, 7 months in here on dutasteride and my shedding has increased. My frontal region has steadily grown more diffuse but my crown and other areas have held pretty well. I've heard of many people saying dutasteride can cause loss in the frontal region. I can post pictures soon but I'm not sure where I should go next and am unsure of the sudden increase in shedding.

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your 5 year finasteride update from February 2016 on page 1 had you still well above baseline and at NW1-1.5. Why did you change your regimen to minoxidil and dutasteride? That's a damn shame that you changed a regimen that was working well for you.

Anon123

Reaction score
I'll be getting a haircut soon and will post results.

The thing is my hairloss started when my hair was very long and a year and a half into finasteride I started wearing it short. So it's hard for me to tell if finasteride improved things or if my hair just looked thicker short. I definitely cannot grow my hair out long anymore as I have curly hair and I've lost so much volume. It's been that way for almost 3 years though, even on finasteride. I made the switch in July as I heard dutasteride was stronger and I was definitely shedding last winter. It seemed like for a while dutasteride was working but now I've started shedding again. I don't know if I should ride it out or switch back to finasteride. Can dutasteride cause frontal loss?

Anon123

Reaction score
20170305_115214-1.jpg
20170305_115214-1.jpg
20170305_115144-1.jpg
2017-03-06 07.47.00.jpg
2017-03-06 07.48.22.jpg

Pictures above. Probably not going to get much sympathy for these as I've cut it shorter and I know there are people here in worse situations than I.

This is 1 year after starting minoxidil 1x daily and almost 8 months of dutasteride .5 mg every 2 days. I switched from 1.25mg finasteride in July as I had been on in for 5 years and my shedding and itching was steadily increasing.

3 years or so ago on finasteride I was able to grow my hair out for many months as my hair is naturally curly (you can look back in the thread), but currently I maybe go 2 months before it starts looking thin and is hard to manage. Most people would find it hard to believe I have hairloss because I wear it short now but it's definitely continued to thin out even on AAs.

Not sure where to go next. minoxidil twice a day is so cosmetically terrible that I'd rather just shave my head. I could maybe go up to dutasteride daily but am unsure of the side effects. My interest in sex and semen volume have gone down since being on it but nothing insane, and the doctor did mention this is a likely side effect.

When my hair loss first started it was mostly my crown I was worried about which is mostly fine now but my frontal region has greatly thinned out now which I'd like to thicken up. Thoughts?

jetlife1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
To me, your hair looks thicker than the pictures on page 1 before you started treatment. Just because your hair texture is changing from curly to straight does not mean you are thinning. Your hairline is absolutely above baseline.

Also, it doesn't look like dutasteride did any more for you than finasteride which proves they are both effective.

Anon123

Reaction score
It looks good at this length but as soon as it grows out for 2 months the frontal region and temples really start to show how diffused they are

Anon123

Reaction score
Here is a shot of my temples combed back. You can clearly see the diffuse thinning which only gets worse once I grow it out.
2017-03-06 23.23.39.jpg
2017-03-06 23.22.38.jpg

growssj3

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair is great. Just stay with your regime.
Can you remember when finasteride started to thicken up your hair?

Anon123

Reaction score
20170420_013501.jpg
20170420_012219.jpg
20170420_013408.jpg
Here are a couple of pictures which show the diffuse thinning in the front more clearly after 2 months. Not sure where to go next. I'm currently on .5mg dutasteride every other day, minoxidil 2ml before bed, and nizoral once a week. I'm thinking of upping dutasteride to daily but my sex drive has gone down a bit which my doctor said was to be expected and it's manageable. I'm just afraid upping dutasteride will increase the sides but I've heard dutasteride every day vs every other day won't give much more benefit . Thoughts ?

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude you hair is fine, it even looks better than baseline in my opinion. Even your temples look better, to be honest i don't think it was even necessary to jump on Dutasteride. Anyway man relax and enjoy your hair. Goodluck!