ACELL Looks promising!!! What do u guys think of this?

Reaction score
Re: Looks promising!!! What do u guys think of this?

The cost form what i read and heard from the office is $10 a hair, but hopefully if more Dr's come aboard, the cost can be brought down. The current success rate is %50-%75 percent for recipient sites, and %40-%50 percent for scar sites, but Dr Cooley is working to raise this percentage. Again, the only problem that remains is if hairs will cycle normally. Dr Cooley said he is going to pluck hairs that he implanted on some of his patients and see if they grow back. This will give an idea if the haisr will cycle, but it will take over a month for a plucked hair to regrow so we shall wait and see.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I am wondering if the new hairs will become resistant to dht...

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score

andrei_eremenko said:
I am wondering if the new hairs will become resistant to dht...
At this point this is unknown and it will take years to found out. In the meantime, you can read the (external) discussion pointed to in this thread. It has answers to many questions but not yet to those such as DHT tolerance and cycling.

About efficiency, it was reported in the answer's from Dr Cooley that on "healthy" (not scarred) scalp it is anything between 50-75%. This is particularly high for such early stages. It is however unknown how quickly they will be able to increase this percentage and make the procedure a viable replacement to FUE.

Ori83

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Whats on the tip of the pluked hair that makes a follicle when combined with the Acell compound? could they grow it/duplicate it in a lab and then inject it with Acell matrixstem into the scalp?

second q': what do think will happen if you add the Acell compound with PrP procedure?

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score

Ori83 said:
Whats on the tip of the pluked hair that makes a follicle when combined with the Acell compound? could they grow it/duplicate it in a lab and then inject it with Acell matrixstem into the scalp?
This question came actually to my mind also when I first read about this hair autocloning based on epithelial tissue only. I guess that revitalization of the dormant follicles with such a procedure avoiding hair plucking may become reality in the rather distant future.

Reaction score

ORi83-On the tip of the hair there are epithelial cells. Without these epithelial cells that hair was not, and it not able to form a functioning follicle. In regards to your question about culturing or duplicating these cells, adding Acell, and then injection is something interesting and a question i emailed Dr. Cooley, but havent received a response. Many people have been asking this question. but my guess is that would either be to hard to culture these cells, or maybe he whole hair including cell is needed to give some ground to the puncture spot.

In regards to your second question, Dr. Hitzig is offering an injection where PRP and ACELL are combined. I have emailed them about success rate and what could be expected from this procedure, but if you want more information you need to either speak with the doctor over the phone or go in and meet with him in person.

Matt Skiba

Established Member
Reaction score

100,000$ is way too much money even for someone who can afford this, unless you're someone like bill gates where it's pocket change to you.

I think one would be a much happier person to live with baldness and keep that money in their pocket. Also if you've got a career succesful enough where you can actually make that kind of money you would have to be a fairly assertive personality type of guy and probably wouldn't be doing too bad with the ladies anyways.

So in my opinion, hair is not worth 10$ a hair to me, but like someone said if for 20,000$ I could get a full head of hair I'd be all over it!

Reaction score

The $10 a hair price is obviously unrealistic and something needs and will be done about that. It wouldnt be normal, and a smart marketing move to charge such a price and open up this new technique to a hand full or people. I believe the price will be either $2-$3 a hair, or they will charge by range of hairloss(cm2).

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

as I told you...a 20 000 dollars will be the maximum to pay for a full head of hair...and I think it really worth taking in the consideration the pain I am going through! but much more than this will be impossible for many many persons...But I think they will need to sell more and make more money! and if the procedure will have a 100% succes rate then I think they will have a very busy schedule! Hopefully histogen and aderans will chime in too with new technique and the price will go down even more!

Reaction score

I feel the same way, i would def be willing to pay 25k max for a full restoration. If they say that hairs cycle i would def get it done. Even if there DHt sensitive, it would take a long tiem to effect the hairs and if im able to keep the hairs for 10 years i would be happy and go for it.

Kube8

Established Member
Reaction score

Orin said:
Kube8 said:
This is not new information. Acell has been around for a while supposedly recreating other organs and what not. I have not read a lot about these updates or many of the replies to this, but it seems like it would be incredibly time consuming to gain a full head of hair.

I mean think about the timeline. You have to be "plucked" and transplanted first... then wait until you've "healed" with the matristem.... then plucked again. It would take forever! I don't know if they plan on doing big strips of donor hair or the single hair plucking approach, but still. I don't want to be walking around as an open wound for all that time... yuck.

Also, I can't see how this would be affordable at all. This seems like an exceptionally time consuming procedure like typical hair transplant. The doctor would have to spend a lot of time plucking and planting as opposed to Histogen's approach of a few injections (not that it's going to work either at this point). Do you really want to live life as a pincushion for however long it takes?

I am just becoming increasingly frustrated with all this junk.

I think you misunderstand how it works. The hairs are plucked (just like you can do yourself, no open wound or anything) with as much epithelial tissue intact as possible. It looks like a transparent layer over the end of the hair. There's no blood and no damaged tissue.

The plucked hairs are soaked in Acell, and then inserted on top, which most likely would be in insertion holes that are even smaller than FUE, as they are single hair, and there's no surrounding "meaty" tissue.

I think you're actually thinking about those Acell-pictures of horses/dogs with horrible wounds that healed very nicely, fur and all. Those cases did require an open wound for the damage to be healed, as the depth of the wound was so severe.

For the record, another hair transplant-doctor did an in-office reconstruction of this method with a patient that had a bad strip-wound. If I remember correctly, it did not regrow any significant hair, but I think it made the wound smoother, which is in line with how the compound has been used when treating other injuries in humans.

It's just one patient but I think, as you pointed out, the inconveniences of that approach makes it impossible to sell as an idea even if it worked alright. Horses don't have to go to work and explain their gaping, therapeutic wound :)

But this plucked-hair procedure is very different.

So once this "soaked" hair is inserted what happens? more appear? or you still have to heal in the donor location and sprout a new hair there to harvest again.

Reaction score

KUbe8-
The understanding of this technique is very simple
-Hairs are plucked from donor area, and they must contain epithelial cells
-Acell in added to the plucked hairs and implanted in the balding area
-The plucked hair can only be duplicated and not multiplied, so one plucked hair will only produce one follicle. More hairs will not grow. But hes able to bunch 1-4 hairs together to make bigger grafts
-Since the hairs are plucked, donor hairs will grow back and in theory this allows for unlimited donor supply

Two major questions that still need to be answered
1) Will hairs cycle normally?
2) Will hairs be DHT sensitive?

If hairs cycle and arent DHt sensitive we can all have a big celebration :)
Hes been ale to get anywhere from %50-%75 growth in recipient areas, and
%40-%50 in scars.
Dr. Cooley is optimistic that these hairs will be permanent or semi-permanent
Dr. Cooley has said he will pluck the tranplanted hairs and this will tell him if hairs will cycle. He hasnt released anything about this yet. The question about DHT will take much longer
Then there always how much will this cost and if larger areas can be transplanted. I wouldnt see why this couldnt be but so far hes only done small transplants.
You can go to baldtruthtaIk.com and listen to his inteview with Spencer in regards to his work with Acell

Reaction score

So many questions to ask yourself regarding this Acell technique
Is it worth is to get it done now if your desperate?
Should you wait 6m-1year for more data to come out regarding the hair cycles and DHT response?
Wait for other doctors to come along and make the procedure more efficient, and easier with higher yields?
Wait for costs to come down?
Wait to possibly see if hairs could be multiplied?
Wait on Histogen and Aderans to come out with a better product, or to combine the 2?

So frustrating when your dealing with something like hairloss tgets to your core and you cant make a decision.
What do you guys think?

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I think you shouldn't be so optimistic...it's better to be surprised one day with a brilliant technique than putting your trust in something that looks promising but nothing more! I mean it's your choice but I will not pay for a single hair 10 dollars to not be dht resistant...what's the point in getting something that will fall?regarding the dht resistance I bet the doctor will be able to say if the hairs are or not dht resistant in 6 months or so...or maybe earlier...there are a lot of genetic tests that can be done and show this thing!plus...as I told you 10 dollars for a hair is too much indeed! 10 000 hairs means 100 000 dollars! I am wondering how many users from here are able to pay those money for a procedure?

Reaction score

Doesnt anyone know, in regards to the strip procedure and Acell being used, do new hairs grow over or around the scars or is complete donor hair lost?

Swoosh-X

Reaction score

miozambrotta19 said:
So many questions to ask yourself regarding this Acell technique
Is it worth is to get it done now if your desperate?
Should you wait 6m-1year for more data to come out regarding the hair cycles and DHT response?
Wait for other doctors to come along and make the procedure more efficient, and easier with higher yields?
Wait for costs to come down?
Wait to possibly see if hairs could be multiplied?
Wait on Histogen and Aderans to come out with a better product, or to combine the 2?

So frustrating when your dealing with something like hairloss tgets to your core and you cant make a decision.
What do you guys think?

I'd probably wait at least 6 months, but I guess everyone's different.

For me, I'll probably just get a normal FUE in the future and then a few years down the line get the autocloning procedure to make up for any more regression.

By then the technique (if it proves to hold up) will likely be adopted by many doctors and that will eventually also bring the price down.

Reaction score

I wrote this on the other topic page but i thought i would write it here as well:

I was thinking this over. For those people who know, or may not, Dr Hitzig has been transplanting plucked beard and scalp hairs for 10 years before he came in contact with Acell. He had very low yields around %10 percent or less, but the hairs that took cycled normaly and the hairs lifespan were like any other donor hair. So.... my theroy is if the plucked hairs that Dr hitzig transplanted without Acell lasted and cycled why wouldnt the hairs that are transplanted with Acell last many ccyles. Dr Hitzig never said in his many years of this study that hairs didnt cycle or were DHT sensitive. Just something to think about.

Skywalker

Reaction score

s I told you...a 20 000 dollars will be the maximum to pay for a full head of hair...a

Well Andrei, you will probably have to forget about hair transplant's if you have severe loss, I don't see a full head of hair restoration being done for under 20k USD any time soon.
If I am wrong on this I will be very happy indeed - but I don't think so.

Interesting point by Moz on Hitzig's experiences with cycling and DHT sensitivity - if this turns out to be true for these Acell aided plucked hairs it would be sensational.

andrei_eremenko

Experienced Member
Reaction score

I don't have sever hairloss...but I am heading to a norwood 5 I guess in a decade or so...Hopefully the acell procedure will work and histogen and aderans will chime in too! and there will be many other options and the price will go down for sure!

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score

dr rassman at NHI is looking for people to conduct his own trial with Acell. Hopefully more doctors will try this also and it wont be too long untill we have more definative information on this.
Keep your fingers crossed guys.