24 Yo, 1 Year On Finasteride... Lost A Lot Of Hair.

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
The oils being rosemary and peppermint ? I am interested in them. I’ve done intense massage.

How has your experience been ?

Just the oils are not going to solve severe scalp issues, but I am a believer that the scalp CHANGES causing male pattern baldness and the DHT and inflammation cascade leading to hair loss is in response to this. Some people have said they grew a lot of hair back just using massage...I think it is worth it.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The good news is that the doctor said I don't have gyno so I can continue with dutasteride. Also my forelock is still standing, I think I see some regrowth from minoxidil.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol it looks like even though my hairline has strengthened the entire area behind it is thinning, especially from the right side. I literally never noticed it before so it's most likely recent (and I definitely had no thinning there in autumn as it would have been visible with my then buzzed hair).
Do you think it could be caused by dutasteride shed? I'm not noticing many fallen hairs...

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_141810980.jpg
    IMG_20180617_141810980.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 933
  • IMG_20180617_141826115.jpg
    IMG_20180617_141826115.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 921
  • IMG_20180617_144124052.jpg
    IMG_20180617_144124052.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 902

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
You definitely prove you hair can still get worse on finsteride. Your genes are strong for balding and you just don't respond well to finasteride. Going on Dustateride was worth a try. How is your thyroid?

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you get better result with duta than fina?
you didn't det gyno with fina?
Hard to say if the result is better. We will see in 8 months. No, I didn't get gyno with fina, but I went to an endoctrinologist and he said I didn't have gyno on duta either. Definitely feeling the sexual side effects though, which were unnoticeable on finasteride. My hormone levels are good though, test is in the upper middle range.
You definitely prove you hair can still get worse on finsteride. Your genes are strong for balding and you just don't respond well to finasteride. Going on Dustateride was worth a try. How is your thyroid?
Well I'd rather prove dutasteride works lol. I haven't had any thyroid tests done, but I think it's fine.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This looks pretty bad. My entire top is thinning. Hopefully this is temporary and the hair will strengthen? I should stick with it, right? 0.5 mg dutasteride + minoxidil + Nizoral once a week.

Attachments

• waer.jpg
    waer.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 867

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Dude I’m like you and didn’t stop my hairloss with finasteride alone. I tried dutasteride and if also didn’t do anything more.

If you’re serious you need to go on a more aggressive regiment. Eventually the sides from dutasteride will build up, again it happened to me too

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think I'll stick with the dutasteride and minoxidil. I switched to 0.5 mg every other day because of sexual side effects, does that make a noticeable difference?

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly considering if I should switch back to finasteride because I pretty much have erectile dysfunction at this point. It was much better on finasteride.

hemingway_the_mercenary

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly considering if I should switch back to finasteride because I pretty much have erectile dysfunction at this point. It was much better on finasteride.

I knew this would happen, like I said the exact same thing happend to me

When I switched back to finasteride the erectile dysfunction didnt end. It got worse progressively over time.

Listen youre gonna need to move onto an aggressive topical regiment. Im literally saving you years of side effects and failure by telling you this. Wish there was someone who told me

disfiguredyoungman

My Regimen
Reaction score
I knew this would happen, like I said the exact same thing happend to me

When I switched back to finasteride the erectile dysfunction didnt end. It got worse progressively over time.

Listen youre gonna need to move onto an aggressive topical regiment. Im literally saving you years of side effects and failure by telling you this. Wish there was someone who told me

You didn’t get sides from topicals? According to your description you still take finasteride

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I

But why would it get worse on finasteride? I didn't have erectile dysfunction when I was using it. And won't those testosterone blockers f*** a man up even if used topically?

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair seems stronger again and my erections turned out to be strong enough to have sex, so it's looking good guys! I'm staying on dutasteride. I've also been using Alpicort E for about a month, I don't know if it's helped.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair seems stronger again and my erections turned out to be strong enough to have sex, so it's looking good guys! I'm staying on dutasteride. I've also been using Alpicort E for about a month, I don't know if it's helped.

I’m going through a terrible shed on finasteride + spironolactone and I read through this whole thread. My heart goes out to you! I hope you see an incredible recovery buddy!!

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Still seeing improvements? Wishing you success :) Also, keep us updated!

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems I was a bit quick to report improvement. My hair seems weaker again, especially hairline and the sides of the top (I got these thin strands from hairline to the crown, though maybe it's just because of the way I comb my hair.)

I was using 0.5 mg ED from March until June, since then I've been taking 0.5 mg EOD. I'm going to switch back to every day as soon as I get my prescription filled again, though I'm afraid of the stronger sexual sides.
I have also been using Alpicort E since August and minoxidil once a day since November 2017. I stopped using Nizoral as I felt it didn't do much and irritated my hair, but I think in the present situation I'll go back on it too. I think Minoxidil and Alpicort regrew some hair in my hairline, though it's more on the edges.

Do you think my hair will get stronger or am I a DHT inhibitor non-responder? I'll stick with it for another 5 months while upping the dose to once a day.

Attachments

• IMG_20181002_224116634.jpg
    IMG_20181002_224116634.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 642
  • IMG_20181002_224126085.jpg
    IMG_20181002_224126085.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_20180928_184449043.jpg
    IMG_20180928_184449043.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_20180928_184801719.jpg
    IMG_20180928_184801719.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 615
  • IMG_20181002_232730769_BURST001.jpg
    IMG_20181002_232730769_BURST001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 600

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It seems I was a bit quick to report improvement. My hair seems weaker again, especially hairline and the sides of the top (I got these thin strands from hairline to the crown, though maybe it's just because of the way I comb my hair.)

I was using 0.5 mg ED from March until June, since then I've been taking 0.5 mg EOD. I'm going to switch back to every day as soon as I get my prescription filled again, though I'm afraid of the stronger sexual sides.
I have also been using Alpicort E since August and minoxidil once a day since November 2017. I stopped using Nizoral as I felt it didn't do much and irritated my hair, but I think in the present situation I'll go back on it too. I think Minoxidil and Alpicort regrew some hair in my hairline, though it's more on the edges.

Do you think my hair will get stronger or am I a DHT inhibitor non-responder? I'll stick with it for another 5 months while upping the dose to once a day.
Definitely stick with it, there are other treatments which work if finasteride / dutasteride doesn't but they do carry a risk for heavier sides.

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey I have a suggestion for you to try Credo.
I honestly think that you may not have been getting the correct dosage due to using generic version of the drugs. You reported earlier in one of your posts that your DHT levels were in the normal range while on finasteride. That's pretty bizarre. I believe you should have tried the brand version of the drug and redone your lab work. You can take either Propecia (1mg) @ $112 USD or Proscar (5mg) at $160 USD. Obviously if you pick proscar it will only cost you about $40 a month since you are breaking the pill in 4ths.
I had my own problems with the generic version. After I switched to the brand-name I saw regrowth as well as a reduction in thinning hairs.
I googled some articles and found out that there are discrepancies between generic and brand versions. I'm linking one article now, I can't find the other one ATM.

www.wolfhair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Brand-Name-vs-Generic-Finasteride-Jan-Feb-2016.pdf

But now you are currently on dutasteride suffering from side effects. If that is the case then this suggests your DHT levels are being suppressed. Have you had your hormone levels rechecked? Also are you on the brand name Avodart or a generic version?

Again this may or may not be the case. You may just be a bad responder to these drugs. But it is worth while to eliminate all possibilities. Good luck.

Reactions: KSA