24 Yo, 1 Year On Finasteride... Lost A Lot Of Hair.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha you misread man. I've been on dutasteride since March. I was saying that my DHT was lower by 400 pg/ml on finasteride than it is on dutasteride (though still in the normal range).

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
Haha you misread man. I've been on dutasteride since March. I was saying that my DHT was lower by 400 pg/ml on finasteride than it is on dutasteride (though still in the normal range).
Ahh sorry about that. Maybe you were getting sh*t dutasteride? That doesn’t make sense, it’s like saying you get drunker off beer than grain alcohol.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know, I think it's highly unlikely. It's a generic but a pretty widely used one in my country and I got it from brick and mortar pharmacies with a doctor's prescription. Maybe dutasteride just doesn't work for me at all? It's strange though that I'm pretty sure I experienced side effects, stronger than with finasteride.

Hussam

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't know, I think it's highly unlikely. It's a generic but a pretty widely used one in my country and I got it from brick and mortar pharmacies with a doctor's prescription. Maybe dutasteride just doesn't work for me at all? It's strange though that I'm pretty sure I experienced side effects, stronger than with finasteride.
What are you planning to do right now? Have you stopped taking Dutasteride ?

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What are you planning to do right now? Have you stopped taking Dutasteride ?
I hoped I could get some advice on that here. For now my plan is to order RU, go back on finasteride as my DHT was (slightly) lower on it, take a DHT test again after a month on finasteride, and continue with minoxidil and Alpicort E. I'm pretty sure I've had some regrowth in the temples from Alpicort and minoxidil, there are lots of vellus hairs there.
Yeah I think I'll be stopping dutasteride, surely the DHT test proves it cannot be working?

CrownBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I hoped I could get some advice on that here. For now my plan is to order RU, go back on finasteride as my DHT was (slightly) lower on it, take a DHT test again after a month on finasteride, and continue with minoxidil and Alpicort E. I'm pretty sure I've had some regrowth in the temples from Alpicort and minoxidil, there are lots of vellus hairs there.
Yeah I think I'll be stopping dutasteride, surely the DHT test proves it cannot be working?
It doesn’t make sense that your dht levels are higher with dutasteride. You’re like a f*****g case study

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wth man how can dutasteride make your dht higher? Get on legit avodart. That test made me question my hopes on dutasteride lol
I’ve been on avodart 1.5mg for almost a year I’m a nw2 and it gave me temple regrowth almost close to my baseline, although I lost those when going through a shed. I have no sides at all just slower body hair growth. I didnt have sides as well when on finasteride for couple months before dutasteride.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn’t make sense that your dht levels are higher with dutasteride. You’re like a f*****g case study

Wth man how can dutasteride make your dht higher? Get on legit avodart. That test made me question my hopes on dutasteride lol
I’ve been on avodart 1.5mg for almost a year I’m a nw2 and it gave me temple regrowth almost close to my baseline, although I lost those when going through a shed. I have no sides at all just slower body hair growth. I didnt have sides as well when on finasteride for couple months before dutasteride.

Yes I know it's fucked up. Do you guys think I should stop dutasteride now? I still have lots of pills left, but if my DHT was lower on finasteride, however insignificantly so, perhaps it's better to go back to that? I think there's pretty much no chance my meds were fake...

SaitamaSensei

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go with finasteride man you cant go wrong with finasteride 1mg anyway its safer in long term as well

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'll be ordering RU shortly and for now I have reverted to taking finasteride. I have two questions; pardon me if the answers can be found elsewhere in the forums:

1) Is there a big difference in efficiency between the 3% and 5% RU solutions?
2) Does the vehicle matter? PG+Ethanol is cheaper so I'm leaning towards that.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright time for an update as this was a tough period for me.

In the beginning of December I noticed my forelock was thinning, however after a few days my hair was looking thicker again so I forgot about it. By 16th I realised my hairline was a bit higher now. That was the day I started applying RU 58841 (5%, PG+Ethanol). However I experienced very quick loss of ground on my hairline, my hairs literally disappearing by the day. Overall lost some weak hairs from forelock and both temples. Is this a shed? Will it grow back? I attached photos.
By yesterday (22nd) it seemed to have stabilised and my hair is looking thicker.

Attachments

• hairline.jpg
    hairline.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_20181218_234105785.jpg
    IMG_20181218_234105785.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_20181218_233437462.jpg
    IMG_20181218_233437462.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 563

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On the plus side it appears that my hair has thickened up a bit in general. It also seems darker. Even 2 of my family members commented that my hair looks thick, thicker than before. In the wet hair pics I used the exact same comb for comparison.
What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 536
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 540
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 538
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 521
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 525

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking good bro, from what I've seen on this forum RU usually responds fast and is dose specific. Looks like its really working for your; mostly likely it's going to get better in another 3 months time!

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly I believe the thickening is probably due to Alpicort/minoxidil and vitamin D I've been taking as I already noticed it before I started RU, in mid December.
But I hope RU will work, especially with the shed around my hairline!

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn, I'm shedding hair from my (stronger thus far) left temple in a Norwood 3 pattern. It's gonna come back, right? It looked pretty healthy.

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_235227299.jpg
    IMG_20181217_235227299.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_20190103_150006163.jpg
    IMG_20190103_150006163.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 523

ButWhyTho

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I think it looks great man. Think about how much better it's gotten since you started treatment. I think the comparison shouldn't be to NW0 but to your own personal hair loss. It's idealistic to assume you're going to have the same hair you had before alopecia came into effect. To me your hair looks denser, thicker even while wet. I'm sure you can style it great and nobody will ever know you were suffering from hair loss.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thank you, I agree it looks thicker and I hope it stays that way. As I said I believe it's a combination of the effects of Alpicort (started in August), vitamin D and perhaps some minoxidil regrowth (currently a little over 1 year of continuous use). It's probably not from RU yet but I hope it only gets better.

Also when I started finasteride and minoxidil 2 years ago I had thick hair with Norwood 1.5 temples, as you can see in the first pages. Then I got hit by a shed after stopping minoxidil and lost a big chunk of my temples, mostly the right one which was nearing Norwood 3, as well as some density and pigmentation. A year ago I restarted minoxidil and I believe in combination with other things it regrew a lot of hair in my temples, especially the right one which had been hit hard (I may post comparison photos). These hairs are still here and they are a bit different than the rest - slightly shorter, slightly less pigmented, but definitely strong and not miniaturising. After switching to dutasteride in March 2018 I lost some density which I believe I may have regained recently, but my temples stayed stable until the present shed (likely caused by RU).

So even though I'm below baseline I think my loss has not been very aggressive, especially taking into consideration that I probably got 0 effects from finasteride and dutasteride as shown by the DHT tests. I hope I'll keep my temples NW2-ish and maintain decent density with treatments.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is what happened to my hairline in the last month since I started RU. It's just shedding, right? It's so violent it's scary, in the second photo you can see that my frontal hairline thinned out in just 2 days.

I also enclose some pics of my scalp, my hair feels a bit thinner again but the pictures are ambiguous. In the crown picture it looks as if my crown is balder now but the baldness is less spread out. Probably it's just about the same overall.

Attachments

• decjan.jpg
    decjan.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 478
  • 2 days difference.jpg
    2 days difference.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 477
  • crown.jpg
    crown.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 444
  • brush1.jpg
    brush1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 459
  • brush2.jpg
    brush2.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 428

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's just rapidly getting worse and worse, I can't f*****g take it anymore. Please tell me it will grow back :(

Attachments

• decjan.jpg
    decjan.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 464
  • 2223.jpg
    2223.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_20181217_235227299.jpg
    IMG_20181217_235227299.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 463