24 Yo, 1 Year On Finasteride... Lost A Lot Of Hair.

Mook

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get back on minoxidil man, use the foam instead of liquid and make sure its dry on your head before you go to bed, cut back to one application per day. Reduce or totally cut sodium from your diet and do a lot of cardio, and use a sauna if you have access to one, these will all help to mitigate the bloating issue.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the response. Yes, I went back on minoxidil at the end of November. Too early to judge the results, but I will keep track of them.
My phone camera died over a month ago so I'm not sure if my face is bloated right now, mirrors can be deceiving. I do use it once per day and try to allow at least a few hours between the application and going to bed. I don't do a lot of cardio but I lift quite intensively, hope it counts. Will try the sauna!

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Stay in minoxidil and finasteride is my advice. You didn’t mention anything about sides so worse case, your hairloss carries on advancing then consider upping the game and start dutasteride. Your hair from the back looks exactly like mine in terms of its look and texture. What age did you start receding, thinning if you don’t mind me asking? I ask this because hair looks to have the same pattern forming (very early stages). The suspected thinning dips down from the cowlick and curves across towards the centre like your’s. It’s just no way near as severe yet.

Attachments

• 950CF3E5-948D-468D-A68F-6A23110363C1.jpeg
    950CF3E5-948D-468D-A68F-6A23110363C1.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 935

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol do you think my crown thinning is severe? Keep in mind it mostly shows under strong lighting, and I have a double cowlick (you too, possibly).
I first noticed very slight receding/miniaturisation at 22, less than 2 years ago. I didn't notice any crown balding until I buzzed my hair in August - but I believe it might have been going on for at least as long as my temple recession, it was just invisible with medium length hair. Anyway my crown looks better when I have longer hair, aside for the cowlick itself.

Last edited:

Jack Ito

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol do you think my crown thinning is severe? Keep in mind it mostly shows under strong lighting, and I have a double cowlick (you too, possibly).
I first noticed very slight receding/miniaturisation at 22, less than 2 years ago. I didn't notice any crown balding until I buzzed my hair. Anyways the crown looks better when I have long hair, aside for the cowlick itself.

No not at all, sorry mate I misworded that. I just meant it’s worse than mine is but it doesn’t look massively aggressive. If you were to let nature take its course, you probably wouldn’t start properly balding until your mid 30’s/40’s. That seems to be the median age that male pattern baldness fully kickstarts at.
Just continue using treatments and that day will hopefully never come. I don’t think you’ve been on finasteride long enough to make a full judgement yet. It can take two years for some individuals to see results and regrowth from sheds.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn guys, I took new photos and I definitely do have a bloated face again. And I only applied 1 ml once a day early in the evening. I don't know how it's possible, surely such small amounts shouldn't go systemic, but it sucks. My face is naturally defined so I really don't like this side effect (PS no, I haven't gained weight and I exercise).
I'm stopping it for a week to assess the situation, but I'm afraid of quitting altogether due to my hair. I think I'll start using half the dose (only on my hairline) every other day, that should be enough to maintain. I'll also drink lots of water/natural diuretics.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Father is a Norwood 5 in his 50s. Brother is a Norwood 3-3.5 at 33. My maternal grandfather had decent hair but there are a few bald/ing uncles on that side of the family.

barfacan

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Starting and stopping minoxidil is generally a no-no, i'm suffering through a hellish shed myself because of that. You can try Dutasteride as someone has already suggested. If that fails then look into other more experimental treatments (setipiprant, topical androgen antagonists). I should mention i am neither on finasteride nor dutasteride so i can't say i speak from a positive experience standpoint.

And don't let some silly derm gaslight you into thinking you're making more of this than you should be. The F*cking nerve...just tell me whether or not my hair is thinning, go play psychologist somewhere else! The reality is you have a family history of pattern baldness, you are balding, and it will progressively get worse unless you find an adequate treatment.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn guys, my dermatologist won't prescribe me dutasteride. Should I try another doctor in another clinic? I have insurance in this clinic so it would be more expensive. I'm really worried if I'll maintain, and I only use minoxidil every other day and wish I could stop it entirely because I'm pretty sure it bloats my face.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Strange thing guys, my DHT test results came and I scored 647 pg/ml, within the upper range of normal DHT levels! Perhaps this explains why my hair continued to deteriorate on finasteride. I'm not sure how this is possible but I think I'd best try and get a dutasteride prescription.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn this is getting pretty bad. The right side of my hairline and the forelock are miniaturising quickly and my retarded derm thinks all the miniaturisation is new hair coming up.

Attachments

• 4556.jpg
    4556.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,103

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also I can't lie I'm pretty depressed right now. I wasn't prepared for it getting to this point. I was sort of complacent about my hair, sure not perfect but I could live with it, but now it's getting past my comfort point.
I just never thought what I'd do when I start to actually *look* like I'm balding irl, even though my hair continued to get worse on finasteride and I could expect that, and it looks like I'm right on the verge.
I don't know how to get a prescription for dutasteride and that's about my only hope. I phoned a f*****g hair loss clinic in my city and asked if they prescribed it; they haven't even heard of it, instead they scam people with some meme therapies like platelet rich plasma. Dermatologists only heard of dutasteride as of a prostate med.
In theory I have the money for a transplant but I would feel horribly guilty since it's a large sum and I don't have a job, still trying to find one after graduation. Besides I can't imagine telling my family about it, with the redness and small scars post FUE (I still live at home). And I need a working antiandrogen anyway not to lose more ground.

I know that to many of you I might seem pathetic and overreacting and I'm often tempted to think the same of people with lower Norwoods than me freaking out. But damn it feels like sh*t. Thinking about it all the time, can't sleep. Don't have anyone to talk to beside ranting here.

Mushu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think anyone here thinks your pathetic, most can relate. There's a few ways you can get dutasteride, but it's better to have a derm help diagnose side effects.

I'm not sure which is cheaper but you can get an online prescription from www.medicalwellnesscenter.com or order through one of the many online pharmacies(non prescription). You can google for sites. I'm not sure if what I'm providing is against the forum rules, feel free to delete if that's the case.

I'm sure you know your own hair best and if it's receding. It's really up to you, I took Finasteride for the same reason, any worse and I'd be unhappy with my hair. There's a fork in the road for hairloss depending on the person. When it gets to the point your'e unhappy, it's unhealthy mentally. Just know most in the real world won't think of you as balding.

Last edited:

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man, the good news is that I actually managed to get a dutasteride prescription the legitimate way. Had to tell the dermatologist what the drug is and he told me to visit an endocrinologist to make sure my hormone levels are ok, but he prescribed it.
I'm starting today. I think I'm going to gradually taper off finasteride. I'll also get another DHT blood test in a month or so to see how it's working. I think it should be enough time for it to lower DHT? I will post updates.
BTW I also ordered two dermarollers, I'll probably start with a weekly wounding with the 1.5 mm one.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like it just keeps getting worse. Hairline is further miniaturising and crown seems thinner.

hopeforhappiness

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like it just keeps getting worse. Hairline is further miniaturising and crown seems thinner.

dutasteride is known for decimating hair lines. You might consider a topical AA at the hairline. Also check your dht again because if it remained untouched by finasteride while dutasteride is stronger it's possible that your'e one of the gene mutants that don't respond to 5a inhibitors.

Credo

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't it possible that it just gets worse before it gets better? I guess I just need a bit of hope (or cope).
I went to the endocrinologist and he said that blood DHT results are inconclusive as what matters is the DHT in the scalp. He recommended taking several other tests, including testosterone.