19 And Think I’m Balding. How’s My Hair Looking/norwood Level?

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m just about to turn 20 and am beginning to worry about hair loss. My father was bad by 30 and my maternal grandfather lost his hair young as well so a couple weeks ago I hopped on finasteride in hopes of prevention. I’d like some feedback on the state of my hair and if I’m likely to keep it with meds. I have a derm appointment in early August as well.

Jessy Barkley

My Regimen
Reaction score
I believe that you are NW1, your hairline looks really good and you don't seem to lose thickness on the middle and the back of the head.
(Note that some people even get this hairline from birth)
Jumping on the finasteride should most definitely stop any other hairloss and your hair should remain like this. :)

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright here’s an update. Been on Finasteride for over a month now and feel like my hairline is taking a hit. I don’t know if it’s in my head but it looks like it’s thinning out a bit. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 9650CDCD-9454-4E1A-8125-8E84FD0D4C2A.jpeg
    9650CDCD-9454-4E1A-8125-8E84FD0D4C2A.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,560

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Alright here’s an update. Been on Finasteride for over a month now and feel like my hairline is taking a hit. I don’t know if it’s in my head but it looks like it’s thinning out a bit. What do you guys think?
Hard to say as you don't have any before photos with your hairline exposed like you do in this photo. In your first photos I would have said you did not need to start finasteride but in your latest photo, I can see why you did and it was a good call. Best photos to take are your hair wet and slicked back.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say as you don't have any before photos with your hairline exposed like you do in this photo. In your first photos I would have said you did not need to start finasteride but in your latest photo, I can see why you did and it was a good call. Best photos to take are your hair wet and slicked back.

Is this a NW2? Saw a dermatologist that advised continuing finasteride and adding nizoral. Also told me about a vitamin called L-Cysteine

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Is this a NW2? Saw a dermatologist that advised continuing finasteride and adding nizoral. Also told me about a vitamin called L-Cysteine
Yes but overall you density is amazing.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes but overall you density is amazing.

Alright here it is wet. I truly don’t mind the bit of recession I have, but would prefer it not creep back much more in the immediate future

Attachments

• CD7DACC1-9EA4-4256-9F0E-FFB9770902A7.jpeg
    CD7DACC1-9EA4-4256-9F0E-FFB9770902A7.jpeg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,280

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Alright here it is wet. I truly don’t mind the bit of recession I have, but would prefer it not creep back much more in the immediate future
Like I said, excellent over all density. Looks like you are just getting a mature hairline so approaching a NW2 but maybe not quite there yet. You don't have any before photos pulled back?

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

Was pm'd this thread by someone who has a similar hairline so will just write here what it is. Norwood 2.5 there with a receded hairline. Stay on treatment and once you stabilise for a few years (given your age) consult a surgeon to bring you to Norwood 2 or below if it bothers you. The front area is the one that makes a difference to what we see in the mirror and can change our look so don't be scared for a permanent solution if you are on medication and doing well.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Was pm'd this thread by someone who has a similar hairline so will just write here what it is. Norwood 2.5 there with a receded hairline. Stay on treatment and once you stabilise for a few years (given your age) consult a surgeon to bring you to Norwood 2 or below if it bothers you. The front area is the one that makes a difference to what we see in the mirror and can change our look so don't be scared for a permanent solution if you are on medication and doing well.

I’m just hoping for maintenance, that would be great. I was born with a bit of a widows peak so I don’t mind the extra bit of recession I’ve seen the past year as long as I can keep it in check. Still shedding after a month and one week on finasteride but they seem much shorter and thinner than the thick hairs I was shedding before.

Jessy Barkley

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Busboy I have currently been on finasteride for 3 months and a half and had massive shedding for the first 2 months. I can safely say right now that the shedding stopped and that it stabilized if it can comfort you a bit, although everyone reacts differently to a drug :D

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Busboy I have currently been on finasteride for 3 months and a half and had massive shedding for the first 2 months. I can safely say right now that the shedding stopped and that it stabilized if it can comfort you a bit, although everyone reacts differently to a drug :D

That’s good to hear. I’m feeling much better knowing I’ve done something about it. Doesn’t take up as much space in my mind anymore. Just gonna ride it out and see how it goes

Jessy Barkley

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Busboy Once we are doing something about it, I felt like my anxiety and my despair lowered a ton knowing that the finasteride is proven to be effective against hairloss.

The shedding scared me aswell but I think that it's just the time that our body adapts to the hormonal changes :)

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Got my hair cut and it’s odd how much thicker and full my hairline looks when it’s a bit shorter. Long it looks pretty recessed but here it just seems NW2

Attachments

• BDEED3D6-42B6-4A79-A2DC-0B30FF3979E0.jpeg
    BDEED3D6-42B6-4A79-A2DC-0B30FF3979E0.jpeg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,017

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
you have a classic NW2 mature hairline so chill and keep taking the finasteride and you should be good to go. i have a similar hairline at Norwood 1.5-2 and i’m 25, just looking to maintain. Most men get this and it’s normal, take the finasteride and use the nizoral and don’t think about it. the dude who said 2.5 and suggested a transplant in the future is bugging

John_zor

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Looking good, just wondering, would you maintain if you stopped with meds?

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tried styling my hair back for the first time in a while. Am I too thin up front to pull this off or am I still ok?

Attachments

• A804DCB6-6557-4ACE-B3B7-08F88C041F6E.jpeg
    A804DCB6-6557-4ACE-B3B7-08F88C041F6E.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 709
  • 3F92201F-63DA-48E2-98D2-3E05C9B49091.jpeg
    3F92201F-63DA-48E2-98D2-3E05C9B49091.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 721

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of ur posts but i don't agree with ur norwood assesment on this one. He is not nw2.5. Norwood 3 is deep recession, close to the ear level, he is nowhere near that. Nw2 is what he is.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of ur posts but i don't agree with ur norwood assesment on this one. He is not nw2.5. Norwood 3 is deep recession, close to the ear level, he is nowhere near that. Nw2 is what he is.

I can be wrong at times but I rarely am with this since I studied it a lot after I had recession once upon a time. Plus I had a surgical one made to restore mine and he calculated everything. My corners go up 5mm in relationship to the centre, it's a Norwood 1 to 1.5 max according to them and others. What I've drawn here would be his Norwood 2. The vertical lines show what would be Norwood 3 so he is beyond a 2 and it's balding. Between a 2 and a 2.5 if we were being pedantic.

2.jpg

Look here, how the corners go up a little too much and the tell tale sign it's beyond the Norwood 2 non balding hairline and active balding is the erosion of his temple points.
1.jpg

This is a good one because his forehead is creased. Notice how the widow's peak is still touching as it's a remnant of childhood and didn't mature. The corners should only be up to an 1 inch or maximum 1.5 inches higher from the juvenile point but it's exceeded that especially his right side. The hairline is also asymmetrical, natural hairlines have small variation but not that much, again balding. Right side has taken more of a hit - too typical in Androgenetic Alopecia.

A804DCB6-6557-4ACE-B3B7-08F88C041F6E.jpeg

He has a good head of hair otherwise and the rest is thick (I had this). Just getting on meds and having a transplant a few years later for the front if it bothers him is all he needs. He needs to stabilise and get to 23 as a minimum before considering this. Apart from BDD guys who overestimate their hair loss (which may be zero) most of us don't pick up early hair loss and the delay can be frustrating when more balding happens.

This is a classical strong Norwood 2 once posted on this forum.

img_0005-jpg.jpg