19 And Think I’m Balding. How’s My Hair Looking/norwood Level?

ScaredOfBalding

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can be wrong at times but I rarely am with this since I studied it a lot after I had recession once upon a time. Plus I had a surgical one made to restore mine and he calculated everything. My corners go up 5mm in relationship to the centre, it's a Norwood 1 to 1.5 max according to them and others. What I've drawn here would be his Norwood 2. The vertical lines show what would be Norwood 3 so he is beyond a 2 and it's balding. Between a 2 and a 2.5 if we were being pedantic.

View attachment 127333

Look here, how the corners go up a little too much and the tell tale sign it's beyond the Norwood 2 non balding hairline and active balding is the erosion of his temple points.
View attachment 127334

This is a good one because his forehead is creased. Notice how the widow's peak is still touching as it's a remnant of childhood and didn't mature. The corners should only be up to an 1 inch or maximum 1.5 inches higher from the juvenile point but it's exceeded that especially his right side. The hairline is also asymmetrical, natural hairlines have small variation but not that much, again balding. Right side has taken more of a hit - too typical in Androgenetic Alopecia.

View attachment 127335

He has a good head of hair otherwise and the rest is thick (I had this). Just getting on meds and having a transplant a few years later for the front if it bothers him is all he needs. He needs to stabilise and get to 23 as a minimum before considering this. Apart from BDD guys who overestimate their hair loss (which may be zero) most of us don't pick up early hair loss and the delay can be frustrating when more balding happens.

This is a classical strong Norwood 2 once posted on this forum.

View attachment 127336
Ur analysis is correct if he was born with a straight hairline, to me it looked like he was born with a widows peak. It makes receding look worse than it is. I know because i was born with a big widows peak. In the end it doesn't matter, considering his hair genes it's a good time to start finasteride.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ur analysis is correct if he was born with a straight hairline, to me it looked like he was born with a widows peak. It makes receding look worse than it is. I know because i was born with a big widows peak. In the end it doesn't matter, considering his hair genes it's a good time to start finasteride.

So the finasterides got a pretty good shot of freezing my hairline? Been in it about 2 months now, still noticing some shedding

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score

The creases give away how his hairline was initially. Sorry for the late reply but best of luck in your battle. Sounds like a combo of finasteride and a hair transplant will give you what you need. The front is the hardest to perfect/hold onto and at the same time the most important for the face.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this the start of crown thinning or am I having a BDD moment?

Attachments

• CAD1F3E2-04B6-4114-B7C9-9A2BB21BAAEF.jpeg
    CAD1F3E2-04B6-4114-B7C9-9A2BB21BAAEF.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 446

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I’m at about 10 Days no finasteride, trying to get a European perscriotion still. Am I totally fucked? Still using Nizoral 2x a week. Should I just shave already and get it over with

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is me todaydirectly under harsh white light. I’m kind of fucked, won’t be able to get more finasteride for about 5 weeks due to being abroad. Should I just buzz now and get it over with

Attachments

• 476DBE4E-16E4-46F5-8123-45C86670B117.png
    476DBE4E-16E4-46F5-8123-45C86670B117.png
    921.1 KB · Views: 404

JustAnotherDude

My Regimen
Reaction score
To the OP:

STOP freaking out. You're fine.

Regarding the hairline, you have that V shaped mature hairline that started as a widow's peak, I know, I had one as well as a child. Everyone will tell you that you're NW3 because of how sharp the hairline is. What they truly should be looking for (as a previous poster mentioned) is hairline/temple notches in relation to the earline. A V-shaped hairline can still be NW1, or 2. Your hair has incredible density with small amounts of miniaturization at the hairline which is normal.

Regarding the crown, you have very straight hair. which contributes to a prominent whirl (totally natural). This is often a difficult area to monitor and make objective claims on, but you appear fine.

Everyone thinks Male Pattern Baldness is a solid line, you either have it or you don't. That's not how it is, everyone has it to a degree and what matters is the level of severity. All that matters for now is that you're hair is GREAT. If you wanna stay on finasteride that's fine, but hair loss is a normal part of life, just hope it doesn't happen too soon. By the looks of your hair, it isn't.

Tip to everyone here, make peace with that fact that you will develop some level of male pattern baldness, at some age. That way you can rationalize your hairloss; "oh ok, yeah I got some minor recession but its proceeded slowly because I'm XX years old and its stayed the same since roughly XX years old" that will help you make a clear and not panicked decision about treatment.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Update: back on finasteride for good this time after 3 months without. Don’t think I lost any ground really but hair is longer so the temples might be more pronounced. Thoughts?

Attachments

• DBC8D350-DA12-47D1-A5BA-8FF40388367C.jpeg
    DBC8D350-DA12-47D1-A5BA-8FF40388367C.jpeg
    78.7 KB · Views: 323
  • 8906F77D-CF01-4CD7-8733-E345FCD08ADF.jpeg
    8906F77D-CF01-4CD7-8733-E345FCD08ADF.jpeg
    82.3 KB · Views: 303

vinnyg0414

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just keep taking it and check back. Good to see your dermatologist as they can evaluate your progress better than we can.

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hairline update! How am I lookin boys, been sticking to treatments religiously

Attachments

• B5B437D0-6D05-486F-9A11-60E88E45CCD2.png
    B5B437D0-6D05-486F-9A11-60E88E45CCD2.png
    604.5 KB · Views: 312

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks good man, did you experience any shedding in the past fee months?

The first time got on finasteride I did notice some shedding the first couple of months, but I ran out in early November and wasn’t able to get more until late December (student abroad, hard to get a prescription here). I’ve been back on for about two months and decided to try and not track shedding this time to spare some anxiety. I think there has been some but not too bad

Anthonydbz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The first time got on finasteride I did notice some shedding the first couple of months, but I ran out in early November and wasn’t able to get more until late December (student abroad, hard to get a prescription here). I’ve been back on for about two months and decided to try and not track shedding this time to spare some anxiety. I think there has been some but not too bad
Did you notice shedding all around your scalp? Even on the back?

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Not on the back I don’t think. I honestly don’t know where the shedding was from specifically

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here’s a six month update on propecia. Can’t tell if I’m losing or gaining ground. Where am I at?

Attachments

• DE127212-CB3C-48F0-BBD8-735FF49C9A29.jpeg
    DE127212-CB3C-48F0-BBD8-735FF49C9A29.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 201

Here For the Lulz

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can’t tell anything from a picture of a hairstyle that deliberately covers up the areas in question. A double combover isn’t going to fool anyone. All that’s going to do is draw attention to it. Or, in other words...

Why are you styling your hair like Trump???

Onni

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm about your age and I have quite similar hairline. Wouldn't be worried. We might be balding in 20 years, but so what..

Busboy

My Regimen
Reaction score
10 months on propecia, noticing only 5-10 loose hairs per shower now.

Attachments

• 1E299968-96C4-4186-A1E4-7DE6CEEEE62A.jpeg
    1E299968-96C4-4186-A1E4-7DE6CEEEE62A.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 123

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I feel like you’ve maintained. And in some angles it looks slightly better too. Density looks solid and hairline seems to be a Norwood 2.