Zeroheat's Story-(Temple loss, Big 3, 962 days update pg37)

dehoha

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow this is very amazing. I am also a Korean, 25 years old.
I tried propecia (brand finasteride) for about 50 days, but was told by my doctor to drop it until I get my hormone and thyroid level checked.
I am suffering from receding hairline due to telogen effluvium from an ACL surgery I had back in June.
While I was on finasteride for 50 days, I shed crazily. I seriously thought I was going to bald....
Right now, I have been off finasteride for about 2 weeks and shedding completely stopped. I am still on minoxidil (hit 2 month mark) using Lipogaine.
So here are the questions I have.

1. I skimmed 44 pages and you mentioned your hair shed a lot in the beginning. How long did that last? As I mentioned, I was on it for 50 days and shedding lessened as the time progressed, but I was still losing a lot of hair.
2. Do you think your hair got thicker due to finasteride or minoxidil or both? I noticed some hairs thickening while I was on finasteride, but I was losing hair density simultaneously.
3. You mentioned you considered hair transplant. Did you plan to do it in the states or Korea? This would be my last resort as well. Hopefully I will be successful like you without hair transplant.
4. Which shampoos beside Ryeo did you use for past 3 years?
5. Did you use proscar from day 1 and never changed it or use something different? I realize you never used Propecia (brand 1mg finasteride), but was not sure if you ever used 1mg generic finasteride.
6. You said you were on green tea, but quit. How long were you on it for? Also, how long did you take black beans? I am currently taking black bean/sesame powder for one week.
7. Have you ever had scalp treatments in Korea either at hair salon or at any kind of hospital?
8. Did you experience any shedding from using Nizoral? What was your reason of dropping it? Also, where did you get 2% Keto shampoo?
9. Lastly, have you ever used laser comb (laser theray) or microneedle (MTS roller)?

I would appreciate your response. Congrats on your success.

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
I have never used s5 cream so I can't comment
wow bro you got some awesome hair aesthetics...I just started using s5 cream (spironolactone) and minoxidil you got any insight on the s5? thanks

- - - Updated - - -

1. I skimmed 44 pages and you mentioned your hair shed a lot in the beginning. How long did that last? As I mentioned, I was on it for 50 days and shedding lessened as the time progressed, but I was still losing a lot of hair.
=> I shed for like 2 months in the beginning then it stopped.

2. Do you think your hair got thicker due to finasteride or minoxidil or both? I noticed some hairs thickening while I was on finasteride, but I was losing hair density simultaneously.
=> I think finasteride made my hair thicker, and minoxidil brought back my hairline.

3. You mentioned you considered hair transplant. Did you plan to do it in the states or Korea? This would be my last resort as well. Hopefully I will be successful like you without hair transplant.
=> I initially was going to get a hair transplant in Canada (Dr. Rahal). I now live in Korea and I'll get a hair transplant in Korea if I have to in a future.. they have some excellent hair transplant surgeons in Korea as well.

4. Which shampoos beside Ryeo did you use for past 3 years?
=> Just any random shampoo you can buy at convenience stores.. along with some nizoral.

5. Did you use proscar from day 1 and never changed it or use something different? I realize you never used Propecia (brand 1mg finasteride), but was not sure if you ever used 1mg generic finasteride.
=> Real Proscar and Generic Proscar from the start. I've never taken 1mg finasteride. I take generic proscar nowadays.

6. You said you were on green tea, but quit. How long were you on it for? Also, how long did you take black beans? I am currently taking black bean/sesame powder for one week.
=> I still drink green tea from time to time. I was on it regularly for like 6 months.. didn't last that long with black beans neither.

7. Have you ever had scalp treatments in Korea either at hair salon or at any kind of hospital?
=> Never had any scalp treatment in my life.

8. Did you experience any shedding from using Nizoral? What was your reason of dropping it? Also, where did you get 2% Keto shampoo?
=> No shedding from nizoral. I bought nizoral on ebay/at costco.. I dropped it because I didn't think it helped my hair much. Plus, a new shampoo I found in Korea made my hair feel a lot 'cooler'.. eased the itch a lot better.

9. Lastly, have you ever used laser comb (laser theray) or microneedle (MTS roller)?
=> No, never used them and probably never will (I don't think they work)

BigTexasSexy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey zeroheat, your hairloss pattern looks extremely similar to mine! Few questions...

-How long did it take your mini hairs along your hairline and temples to turn terminal? I have quite a few on all my norwood spots and I'm of course anxious to see them thicken up!
-Why did you choose the liquid over the foam? I myself use the foam, and the most hair regrowth I've had so far is at my temples where the foam would liquify and drip down to, which leaves me interested to try the liquid.
-Did your hair regrowth happen everywhere at once, or do you think it went in one direction ?

Thanks

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
-How long did it take your mini hairs along your hairline and temples to turn terminal? I have quite a few on all my norwood spots and I'm of course anxious to see them thicken up!
=> I think they turned terminal after 4-5 months..? something like that.
-Why did you choose the liquid over the foam? I myself use the foam, and the most hair regrowth I've had so far is at my temples where the foam would liquify and drip down to, which leaves me interested to try the liquid.
=> Liquid was much cheaper and I was a student back then.. I also heard back then that liquid was more effective than foam. I was going to use foam if liquid didn't work.
-Did your hair regrowth happen everywhere at once, or do you think it went in one direction ?
=> Temples began filling up then my top area started to get thicker..

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey zeroheat

how many years did you gain back on finasteride? a rough estimate maybe. thanks.

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Congats. Zero! Thanx for sharing.

eix

Reaction score
Dude I have the same hairline as your in your opening post, and we have the same forehead and eyebrows. What the **** are you my twin LOL. I'm thinking of seeing a doctor because I was accepting it but man it's harder to deal with than I had originally thought. I'm 22 about to turn 23 in couple of months. I'm also in school so stress + poor diet is also a factor contributing to my hairloss for sure. How was your diet and stress level at the time? Also, how much do you think you're spending monthly on your regimen?

zeroheat

Established Member
Reaction score
hey zeroheat

how many years did you gain back on finasteride? a rough estimate maybe. thanks.
lotta years

- - - Updated - - -

Dude I have the same hairline as your in your opening post, and we have the same forehead and eyebrows. What the **** are you my twin LOL. I'm thinking of seeing a doctor because I was accepting it but man it's harder to deal with than I had originally thought. I'm 22 about to turn 23 in couple of months. I'm also in school so stress + poor diet is also a factor contributing to my hairloss for sure. How was your diet and stress level at the time? Also, how much do you think you're spending monthly on your regimen?
Very stressed out back then because I was having issues with school & money. Ate very poorly as well.. I definitely think such things accelerated my hair loss. I think I'm spending less than $15-20 per month for my regimen.. because I'm using generic versions.

isishearmyplea

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey man, i think u misunderstood me, i meant like if u started taking finasteride at 24, at the optimal result how did it make your hair look like ( like you were 21 20). . . hair be with you :D. . haha take care

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey dude,
I just registered here to write you this.
I want to thank you for such a long lived support you have provided the community, and I want to congratulate you on your succes!
I read the whole thread back to back, and it really helped me take the "leap" of beginning finasteride, when my hair started to recede :) Been on it for 2 months now and not felt a thing, even though I was scared sh**less. So happy I did it, even though results (as far as I can tell) have not manifested yet.
Btw, I am pretty much in the same situation you were in years ago. Same age, hair type, frontal hairloss pattern (caught mine a little earlier though).

I am going to see if finasteride on its own has enough PoWa too maintain my hair, or else I'm jumping on the minoxidil wagon! Last step is to finally accept it, which will not be the end of the world. :)

Once again, thank you for all this great information. You go the extra mile to help people! You deserve all the hair in the world! :p

randomhappy

Reaction score
Hello zeroheat. I just registered to thank you for the great feedback. I'm 28 years old dude and have some experience to share with you and other fellows.

I decided to start taking hairloss seriously 3 years ago. I had a thick hair since I can remember myself but since 2008 my temples were getting smaller ( very slow) and I kept in mind that maybe I will have something to do in the future for my hair. Until 2011 I was OK with my hair. The temples were bearable but I saw a little bit of thinning on the crown. Of course I panicked at first, but quickly decided to look for a cure. I was a Norwood 1.5 at most. Thinning temples and a little bit of thinning crown.

Here begins my experience with minoxidil. Luckily I saw this forum and your thread. I saw your success and I was amazed and cheered up. But I decided to try only with minoxidil at first to see if it will be enough. For the first year (summer 2011 - autumn 2012) I got quite a nice result with minoxidil. I didn't get any amazing regrowth, but my hair was very thick after half an year and I was happy. minoxidil results were good for me until the beginning of 2013. So for an year and a half I was content with it. But eventually my hair started to thin again.

So here starts my adventure with finasteride also. I decided in March 2013 to start finasteride. I got a prescription and started. I got generic Proscar and took 1.25 mg a day. I had the watery jizz and a little bit of a low libido but it wasn't something awarming. My hair was falling out before that and for another six months it was falling pretty stable (my hair is shedding/falling all the time but nowadays it's about 40-50 hairs a day max but then it was easily above 80-100). Didn't really care cause my hair was looking OK. I was noticing a small hairs but they weren't becoming terminal. So I decided to start using derma roller ( I don't make an advertisement, there are many rollers out there - I use 1.5 mm, 540 needles) - some 4 months ago. Since then my hair is getting better - very slowly and now I'm seeing some fine results and I'm thinking for a really short haircut. I also started to take a good supply of vitamins and omega 3 acids two months ago and I can feel the difference.

So my advise to everyone out there, from my own experience, is to take the big 3, get vitamins and omega 3 acids, use derma roller at least 3 times a week. Don't get discourage if the results are coming slowly. I'm getting my first regrowth after 3 years on minoxidil and 1 on finasteride. Also since 2 months I'm cutting my proscar in 5 pieces and there are no sides plus I'm still getting results. Also I'm shedding all the time, not crazy shed, but some 30-40 hairs a shower. But I'm not bothered cause I'm getting a pretty stable regrowth although it's very slow.

I want to thank you deep from my heart, zeroheat , you have helped me like not many other people in my life. I wish you well. :)

eix

Reaction score
hey i have a question about shedding

im planning on just using rogaine foam for now because my hairline isn't that bad and im kind of afraid of finasteride
but can i apply it just to the areas with miniaturized hairs / baby hairs to make them thicker? but i read it causes shedding
would that mean the areas i apply rogaine on the hairs will all fall out causing bald spots? how bad is the shedding?

bumblebeewang

Reaction score
Zeroheat inspired me to get on the big 3.
Eix, check out my thread. I've been on the big 3 for almost 3 months now and no shedding at al.

robertc

Reaction score
Small update.. I've been on

Proscar 1.25mg daily: 1 month 3 weeks
Nizoral twice a week: 1 month 2 weeks
Liquid minoxidil twice a day: 2 weeks

Surprisingly I've been able to keep up with 2x daily minoxidil.. I usually have to shampoo maybe 1.5-2 hrs into it in the morning, but that's better than nothing.

I've been shedding a lot since I started Proscar. Shedding continues, I'm probably losing around 100+ hairs per day. I really hope this is just shedding, and not my male pattern baldness accelerating. My temple loss is getting pretty bad, but I know I have to stick with it because.. well, what else can I do? I'm doing everything I can to fight it.

Good news is that most of the sides I've been getting from Proscar are gone though; no more watery jizz/weak erections.. my libido is back to 90%+. No manboobs, no brainfogs, so it's all good.

Does anyone experience initial sheds at the back of the head OR areas where minoxidil is NOT applied?

Im thinking of upping my does of fina to 1mg from 0.25mg. It seems to cause a body shock for some leading to shedding.

I'm concerned that i may experience shedding on the top of the head; i am only applying minoxidil at the hairline.

fuugenes

Reaction score
Hey OP, I'm new to this, do you buy generic proscar? if so how much? idk if I should get generic proscar or generic propecia

hiko

Reaction score
By far the greatest success I've ever seen. This needs to be shown to all the dudes in their 20's so they can actually see how important it is to start treatments early.

finasteride/dutasteride + minoxidil actually are extremely effective when used properly. You just can't wait until you're a visibly balding NW3+ and expect meaningful results. It's not gonna happen. You have to tackle that s*** when you're NW1-2 and still essentially have a full head of hair.