Young and balding

Nene

Reaction score
Re: JOE-91's Story - (18 And losing hair rapidly)

blink said:
Shma said:
Nene said:
Joe, minoxidil will never work if you shave your head. I'm talking from first hand experience here. About a year ago I got some very nice regrowth from minoxidil. Then I shaved my head bald and when the stubble started coming in, everything I had grown from minoxidil was gone. You need to give the minoxidil time to work, if you shave your head, the hair never gets a chance to thicken up. I would say, grow your hair out for a while (about 5 or 6 months), let the minoxidil work, and then BUZZ do no shave your head. Thats what I'm trying to do now but I lose patience and keep shaving my hair before the minoxidil works.
That's nonsense. When you shave your head you shave the hair SHAFT, not the follicle. Shaving does not have any negative effect regarding minoxidil.

indeed, that is a pretty dumb assumption on his part :stupid:

It wasn't an assumption, it was my experience, so kiss my ***.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score

Nene said:

:gay: your experiences mean jack, especially those that arent based on common sense or science

Nene

Reaction score

blink said:
Nene said:

:gay: your experiences mean jack, especially those that arent based on common sense or science

My experiences mean jack? I thought one of the whole purposes of this forum is to share our experiences so we can learn from one another and to support one another. As someone who has used minoxidil for years and has experience shaving my head while using minoxidil, I think my experience counts for something. Since Joe is new to using minoxidil, I was simply giving him advice so he doesn't sabotage his possible gains. I'm sure he appreciates getting advice from someone who HAS BEEN THROUGH what he is going to do so he has an idea of what to expect. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it didn't happen or it isn't possible. I am offended that you call me dumb and use that "I'm with stupid" sign just because I'm sharing my experience. Like I said, please prove me wrong. Show me a study that proves that minoxidil induced hair growth will grow back like regular hair after being shaven. I'm pretty sure no such study exists. Do you have experience with minoxidil while shaving your head? I didn't think so. Go do it yourself and prove me wrong, otherwise shut the hell up. I'm sure that most guys using minoxidil are avoiding the bald look, and so won't shave their heads, so probably not many people have experienced it, but I did and I know what I saw. You don't have to believe me, but just because it doesn't make sense to you intuitively doesn't give you the right to act like an a**h**.

Fanjeera

Reaction score

Shma said:
Nene said:
Joe, minoxidil will never work if you shave your head. I'm talking from first hand experience here. About a year ago I got some very nice regrowth from minoxidil. Then I shaved my head bald and when the stubble started coming in, everything I had grown from minoxidil was gone. You need to give the minoxidil time to work, if you shave your head, the hair never gets a chance to thicken up. I would say, grow your hair out for a while (about 5 or 6 months), let the minoxidil work, and then BUZZ do no shave your head. Thats what I'm trying to do now but I lose patience and keep shaving my hair before the minoxidil works.
That's nonsense. When you shave your head you shave the hair SHAFT, not the follicle. Shaving does not have any negative effect regarding minoxidil.
The problem is that the minoxidil hair grows like 10 times slower than the normal hair and only thanks to using the substance. If you cut the new artificial hair, you will lose all your work and have to use minoxidil again to make it grow.
I used this sh*t for almost 2 years and believe me, it's not worth it. You will bald a lot faster than you will grow hair. At least that's the case for me, as I'm also a teenage balder. The only cure for baldness atm is somehow killing DHT in your hair follicles. By doing that with the drugs available, you will unfortunately kill everything else also, so I would go for a transplant, wig or a hat.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score

Nene said:
Shma, It's not just some theory I pulled out of my ***. I know what I experienced and I'm just sharing it with Joe. What you said about shaving the shaft and not the follicle makes perfect sense, but it didn't work that way for me. If you think that hairs that have grown from minoxidil are as resilient as your regular hair and will pop right back out after shaving it, you are sadly mistaken my friend. I encourage you to try it for yourself since what I said was so retarded, please prove me wrong.
It's just not true. Just because your hair grows slower due to the balding process does not mean minoxidil will not work with a shaved head. That is (believe me), completely bogus.

It's like saying people with big noses won't respond well to propecia.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score

joe, if u value ur hair dont start minoxidil. stay away.

Nene

Reaction score

Shma said:
Nene said:
Shma, It's not just some theory I pulled out of my ***. I know what I experienced and I'm just sharing it with Joe. What you said about shaving the shaft and not the follicle makes perfect sense, but it didn't work that way for me. If you think that hairs that have grown from minoxidil are as resilient as your regular hair and will pop right back out after shaving it, you are sadly mistaken my friend. I encourage you to try it for yourself since what I said was so retarded, please prove me wrong.
It's just not true. Just because your hair grows slower due to the balding process does not mean minoxidil will not work with a shaved head. That is (believe me), completely bogus.

It's like saying people with big noses won't respond well to propecia.

I don't follow that analogy about the big noses. I'm talking about doing something that obviously has an impact on your hair, not some random body part, but anyway. All I'm saying is that if you shave your head while on minoxidil you'll never see the full benefits and I stand by that. I have used minoxidil while not shaving my head, and I have used minoxidil while shaving my head every week or so, and the difference is as obvious as night and day. It could be what Fanjeera said, that the hairs just grow way slower so you never give them a chance to grow back in. But I'm done with this argument. Believe what you want, and since you don't have first hand experience your just making assumptions based on what sounds logical to you. You know at one point people also thought the world was flat. Things that seem obvious or logical are not always the truth.

Joe - keeping it down to a short buzz cut sounds like a good idea so long as you don't take the razor to your dome.

blink

Established Member
Reaction score

first off dude, i didnt call you dumb, i called your assumption dumb; there's a difference. "Im with stupid" is in reference to the other person quoting you, not you.

How about you show me a study that minoxidil doesnt grow hair as well on a shaven head? didnt think so, because it doesnt exist (because scientists can see how ridiculous that might seem). i do have a shaven head and i have gotten regrowth, albeit not as great as i would hope but im at the 6 month mark.

im not acting like an a**h**, i didnt call you any names... i just strongly disagree with your assumptions. read carefully next time.

Nene said:
blink said:
My experiences mean jack? I thought one of the whole purposes of this forum is to share our experiences so we can learn from one another and to support one another. As someone who has used minoxidil for years and has experience shaving my head while using minoxidil, I think my experience counts for something. Since Joe is new to using minoxidil, I was simply giving him advice so he doesn't sabotage his possible gains. I'm sure he appreciates getting advice from someone who HAS BEEN THROUGH what he is going to do so he has an idea of what to expect. Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean it didn't happen or it isn't possible. I am offended that you call me dumb and use that "I'm with stupid" sign just because I'm sharing my experience. Like I said, please prove me wrong. Show me a study that proves that minoxidil induced hair growth will grow back like regular hair after being shaven. I'm pretty sure no such study exists. Do you have experience with minoxidil while shaving your head? I didn't think so. Go do it yourself and prove me wrong, otherwise shut the hell up. I'm sure that most guys using minoxidil are avoiding the bald look, and so won't shave their heads, so probably not many people have experienced it, but I did and I know what I saw. You don't have to believe me, but just because it doesn't make sense to you intuitively doesn't give you the right to act like an a**hole.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score

JOE-91 said:
patrik said:

Why is that?

I'm so f****ing bitter that I respond so badly to finasteride, it's such an easy pill to take each day.

cause alot of people just lost hair on minoxidil including me, on top of that it irritates ur scalp and is a hassle to apply too. if u still decide to stay on it expect to lose some hair the first two weeks, whether it grows back or not is another matter.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score

Nene, I'm not even sure that your estimation has much to do with minoxidil. Like Fanjeera was saying, hair affected by male pattern baldness grows at a much slower rate, so it's good to let the hair on top grow while trimming the back and sides consistently.

If you were to shave your whole head and let it grow, the male pattern baldness affected areas would be much thinner and shorter than other areas.

Nene

Reaction score

patrik said:
JOE-91 said:
patrik said:

Why is that?

I'm so f****ing bitter that I respond so badly to finasteride, it's such an easy pill to take each day.

cause alot of people just lost hair on minoxidil including me, on top of that it irritates ur scalp and is a hassle to apply too. if u still decide to stay on it expect to lose some hair the first two weeks, whether it grows back or not is another matter.

Just because you had a bad experience on minoxidil doesn't mean you should scare Joe away from it. A ton of people have had great results from minoxidil, including myself.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score

Just because you had a bad experience on minoxidil doesn't mean you should scare Joe away from it. A ton of people have had great results from minoxidil, including myself.[/quote]

just wanted to say i was expecting that answer nene, because everyone here says that. i was just warning him.

Nene

Reaction score

patrik said:
Just because you had a bad experience on minoxidil doesn't mean you should scare Joe away from it. A ton of people have had great results from minoxidil, including myself.

just wanted to say i was expecting that answer nene, because everyone here says that. i was just warning him.[/quote]

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing that people share the good stories as well as the bad ones. I just felt like your warning was a bit too strong.

Nene

Reaction score

Everyone thinks I'm crazy with the minoxidil story, let me explain it one more time in a little more detail. All I have to say is that I had my hair an inch or so long and was using minoxidil with great success. Then I buzzed my head with no guard. I had a nice shadow, almost a norwood 1. Then I shaved it with a blade. I was expecting to see that same norwood 1 shadow grow back in, but instead the shadow that came in was my natural norwood 2 - 2.5. I was VERY disappointed. I kept using minoxidil but I also kept shaving, and to this day I don't have that norwood 1 shadow back. If you don't believe me, look at my pics now. That is what my hair looks like 2-3 weeks after shaving my head even though I've been using minoxidil religiously. I'll refrain from shaving my head for a few months and then buzz it down. I'll post pics and you guys will see the difference, trust me.

patrik

Established Member
Reaction score

Nene said:
patrik said:

just wanted to say i was expecting that answer nene, because everyone here says that. i was just warning him.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a good thing that people share the good stories as well as the bad ones. I just felt like your warning was a bit too strong.[/quote]

maybe but i was letting him know what he might be putting himself up for, nothing wrong with that.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Nene said:
Everyone thinks I'm crazy with the minoxidil story, let me explain it one more time in a little more detail. All I have to say is that I had my hair an inch or so long and was using minoxidil with great success. Then I buzzed my head with no guard. I had a nice shadow, almost a norwood 1. Then I shaved it with a blade. I was expecting to see that same norwood 1 shadow grow back in, but instead the shadow that came in was my natural norwood 2 - 2.5. I was VERY disappointed. I kept using minoxidil but I also kept shaving, and to this day I don't have that norwood 1 shadow back. If you don't believe me, look at my pics now. That is what my hair looks like 2-3 weeks after shaving my head even though I've been using minoxidil religiously. I'll refrain from shaving my head for a few months and then buzz it down. I'll post pics and you guys will see the difference, trust me.

I dont get it,you seem to support it in terms of hair regrwoth and at the same time you are against it :dunno: Minoxidil wont destroy your hair if you shave it,male pattern baldness will.

Nene

Reaction score

mpbsux20 said:
Nene said:

I dont get it,you seem to support it in terms of hair regrwoth and at the same time you are against it :dunno: Minoxidil wont destroy your hair if you shave it,male pattern baldness will.

I must not be writing in English. I think Minoxidil works great! All I'm saying is that if you shave your head, any new hair you grew with minoxidil will not grow back, at least for a long while. I never even insinuated that minoxidil will destroy your hair. I just think you sabotage the possible re-growth if you shave your head with a blade. Ok, now I'm really done with this! Just check out my pics this summer and you'll see!

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score

Alright guys, you've made your points. Please stop hijacking joe's thread now.

mpbsux20

Experienced Member
Reaction score

Shedding varies from individuals.Since you have your hair buzzed,I guess this would be the right time to use Minoxidil 5%[foam].Since your young,you will be able to regrow the majority of your hair.Its a good idea to continue Finasteride too but if you are not too pleased using it then give Min,nizoral and some antiandrogen topical like spironolactone a try.Good luck!!!

Nene

Reaction score

Joe, you should absolutely get REAL finasteride. Since you want to take a low dose, I would get a prescription for propecia take 1/4 or 1/2 a pill a day. Supposedly even .2 mg blocks a bunch of DHT. I have never had a shed from minoxidil but people on here say it happens to them all the time. I get my foam from Costco, I'm guessing you don't have those in the U.K, try Amazon. Joe, stick with it for AT LEAST 6 months and preferably an entire year.