You Might Be Interested In Reading This.

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh god dutas and RU are my last hope. I’m prayinf that doesn’t happen!!!!
That study was based on rats. I don't feeling like finding the research myself, but there were findings from scientist's biopsies of people taking dht-inhibitors that there were a marked increased in androgen-receptors in the scalp follicles. Scour these forums and other hair loss forums, and you'll find plenty of anecdotal stories that support this. I myself have experienced it. It is a real thing.

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
the concept of upregulation is scary as hell. dont know if its true but could be. Tolerance and sensitivity applies to almost anything
I'm like 99% positive upregulation, which is basically just a fancy way of saying increased sensitivity to androgens, is a real thing. I mean. Think about it. When we're in our teens, when we have the highest concentration of testosterone in our system, our hair is much less sensitive to the androgens, but as we get older, usually starts in our 20s, we become more sensitive to the androgens and start recede/thin/bald.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm like 99% positive upregulation, which is basically just a fancy way of saying increased sensitivity to androgens, is a real thing. I mean. Think about it. When we're in our teens, when we have the highest concentration of testosterone in our system, our hair is much less sensitive to the androgens, but as we get older, usually starts in our 20s, we become more sensitive to the androgens and start recede/thin/bald.
but for me I lost hair rapidly right after puberty in my teens and then hairloss progressed slowly after that. but then again the norwood 2 and 3 area is more sensitive generally.

Im also considering the studies on Eunuchs where the ones in their 20s given testosterone injections took years to bald while the ones in their 50s and 60s balded in a few months. the sensitivity could be caused by the longer amount of time gone without androgen exposure causes more sensitivity to the next time they are exposed.
but I could be totally wrong, it could just be caused by age.

also wonder if women are more sensitive to androgens due to normally having low amounts?

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
but for me I lost hair rapidly right after puberty in my teens and then hairloss progressed slowly after that. but then again the norwood 2 and 3 area is more sensitive generally.

Im also considering the studies on Eunuchs where the ones in their 20s given testosterone injections took years to bald while the ones in their 50s and 60s balded in a few months. the sensitivity could be caused by the longer amount of time gone without androgen exposure causes more sensitivity to the next time they are exposed.
but I could be totally wrong, it could just be caused by age.

also wonder if women are more sensitive to androgens due to normally having low amounts?

That is an interesting theory. It very well could be. A significant spike could illicit a response that increases follicular androgen receptor uptake. I think it all boils down to how sensitive, meaning how many androgen receptors, your scalp follicles have. I've known, have friends, that take steroids that still have perfect hairlines. I'm talking about Zayn Malik, Brad Pitt type hair. Others that drastically thinned/balded whilst on it. Age can definitely be a factor. But I think as men, our scalp follicles are definitely more prone. DHT is 40 times more potent of an androgen than testosterone, and it is a byproduct of a small amount(I believe 10%) of the total testosterone we have circulating in our system. Women, on average, produce much less testosterone, and therefore much less DHT. I'm not sure, but it'd be safe to assume that their conversion ratios of T:DHT is also significantly less. They probably also don't have as many receptors on average. This is why the vast majority of female bodybuilders taking steroids still have full-heads of hair with no significant recession. Males on the other hand...

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
That is an interesting theory. It very well could be. A significant spike could illicit a response that increases follicular androgen receptor uptake. I think it all boils down to how sensitive, meaning how many androgen receptors, your scalp follicles have. I've known, have friends, that take steroids that still have perfect hairlines. I'm talking about Zayn Malik, Brad Pitt type hair. Others that drastically thinned/balded whilst on it. Age can definitely be a factor. But I think as men, our scalp follicles are definitely more prone. DHT is 40 times more potent of an androgen than testosterone, and it is a byproduct of a small amount(I believe 10%) of the total testosterone we have circulating in our system. Women, on average, produce much less testosterone, and therefore much less DHT. I'm not sure, but it'd be safe to assume that their conversion ratios of T:DHT is also significantly less. They probably also don't have as many receptors on average. This is why the vast majority of female bodybuilders taking steroids still have full-heads of hair with no significant recession. Males on the other hand...
women have more aromatse in the temple regions of the scalp, which is why when T makes its way there it can actually be a good thing, lol. I have also heard that bald men have less adipose fat in their scalp than fullheads, Im not sure how true that is. but it would make sense since body fat is a source of aromatse.
i think in general women would have more aromatase, the energy eaten is more likely to be used to be turned into fat than to maintain muscle. maybe less if they work out but more so than men since they have more estrogen and less T and more boobs.
young women also have more progesterone than we do, and progestone helps reduce 5ar because it combines witv 5ar to turn into something else.

really pisses me off that some guys can take steriods and have great hair. Maybe its the number of receptors like you said? or maybe cause our DNA is just different and programs body to respond to hormones differently. Like our body views hair as a female trait and reacts negativity to male hormones and their body doesn't view hair that way and sees it like another organ.

nikiblush

My Regimen
Reaction score
@AmericanHairlines90 have you had your sperm count tested? or any checks for osteoporosis? those would be my biggest concerns for you and they might not show up in a hormone panel. infertility is why i haven't started spironolactone yet (don't want to risk it) and it's fairly established that a lack of T or E will cause osteoporosis.

also, there's quite a bit of misinformation around spironolactone and feminization. while everyone's results will vary, you do need to combine estradiol with an AA to develop significant female characteristics. but if you're amab and produce enough estrogen naturally, you might see more of those effects without supplementing E.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
That study was based on rats. I don't feeling like finding the research myself, but there were findings from scientist's biopsies of people taking dht-inhibitors that there were a marked increased in androgen-receptors in the scalp follicles. Scour these forums and other hair loss forums, and you'll find plenty of anecdotal stories that support this. I myself have experienced it. It is a real thing.
Technically with the condition I have, I suffer from androgen deficiency, as well as estrogen/test etc being too low. Androgen sensitivity isn’t th issue, it’s DHT. Literally the smallest amount has fucked me over. I also have eyelash and eyebrow loss, so it’s not androgens that are hurting me, since they are good for facial hair growth.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Technically with the condition I have, I suffer from androgen deficiency, as well as estrogen/test etc being too low. Androgen sensitivity isn’t th issue, it’s DHT. Literally the smallest amount has fucked me over. I also have eyelash and eyebrow loss, so it’s not androgens that are hurting me, since they are good for facial hair growth.
Basically I have what am innumerable number of men and women who have been through eating disorders/excessive exercise have in terms of hormonal imbalance. My issue is my extreme dht sensitivity and genetic predisposition

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is an androgen, though. Much, much more potent than test, and not only that it binds A LOT easier and longer to the hair follicles than test. And if you have a lot of androgen receptors, it will make you significantly more sensitive to DHT-- even if you have low levels of it. Over time, this adds up, and it will wreak havoc on your head.

"
In 1998, researchers found that both plucked follicles and skin from a balding scalp contain higher levels of androgen receptors than those from a non-balding scalp.

Some scientists believe that some people have a genetically transmitted susceptibility to otherwise normal levels of circulating androgens, particularly DHT. This combination of hormonal and genetic factors could explain why some people are more likely than others to lose their hair.
"
Link to site: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/68082.php

I saw those pictures of you. You definitely body-build. Living a body-building lifestyle will increase your test and DHT levels. Esp if you take supplements. Stay away from any DHEA or Creatine products as they will increase DHT significantly.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
DHT is an androgen, though. Much, much more potent than test, and not only that it binds A LOT easier and longer to the hair follicles than test. And if you have a lot of androgen receptors, it will make you significantly more sensitive to DHT-- even if you have low levels of it. Over time, this adds up, and it will wreak havoc on your head.

"
In 1998, researchers found that both plucked follicles and skin from a balding scalp contain higher levels of androgen receptors than those from a non-balding scalp.

Some scientists believe that some people have a genetically transmitted susceptibility to otherwise normal levels of circulating androgens, particularly DHT. This combination of hormonal and genetic factors could explain why some people are more likely than others to lose their hair.
"
Link to site: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/68082.php

I saw those pictures of you. You definitely body-build. Living a body-building lifestyle will increase your test and DHT levels. Esp if you take supplements. Stay away from any DHEA or Creatine products as they will increase DHT significantly.
I recently got my test levels done and they are low. My entire sex hormone profile is suppressed.

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
women have more aromatse in the temple regions of the scalp, which is why when T makes its way there it can actually be a good thing, lol. I have also heard that bald men have less adipose fat in their scalp than fullheads, Im not sure how true that is. but it would make sense since body fat is a source of aromatse.
i think in general women would have more aromatase, the energy eaten is more likely to be used to be turned into fat than to maintain muscle. maybe less if they work out but more so than men since they have more estrogen and less T and more boobs.
young women also have more progesterone than we do, and progestone helps reduce 5ar because it combines witv 5ar to turn into something else.

really pisses me off that some guys can take steriods and have great hair. Maybe its the number of receptors like you said? or maybe cause our DNA is just different and programs body to respond to hormones differently. Like our body views hair as a female trait and reacts negativity to male hormones and their body doesn't view hair that way and sees it like another organ.

So much sh*t goes into losing hair. It's also how your immune responds to the follicles with DHT attached to it. It will promote inflammation, more immune responses, then fibrosis. When it reaches fibrosis, your follicle is basically RIP'ed permanently. Some people have very strong inflammatory/immune responses. And yes, I hate those guys that can take steroids and not experience hair loss. I stopped going to the gym altogether because of increase-test = hairloss and started long distance running because that actually lowers test. f***...I just want to preserve my f*****g hair.

can'tBeatNature

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I recently got my test levels done and they are low. My entire sex hormone profile is suppressed.
Jesus. I have no idea what to say. Have you tried derma-rolling combined with minoxidil? I even derma roll for my skin to counter any negative skin effects from minoxidil. I have some pictures of strong terminal hairs growing along my hairline that only grew after derma + minoxidil, but my camera blows.

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Jesus. I have no idea what to say. Have you tried derma-rolling combined with minoxidil? I even derma roll for my skin to counter any negative skin effects from minoxidil. I have some pictures of strong terminal hairs growing along my hairline that only grew after derma + minoxidil, but my camera blows.
Yes i derma roll once a week, and I have been taking 2mg oral minoxidil + 2 x 5% topical minoxidil + the pill diane35 since 2015 and also did the spironolactone for 9 months. I will say that my hairline receded like a mans to a NW2, I had/have eyebrow, eyelash and diffuse scalp thinning Also, and the minoxidil regrew an insane amount of hair and restored my hairline. I know it was the minoxidil because I had been on the pill and spironolactone for a while before I tried minoxidil and my hairline was only getting worse and worse. minoxidil really helped my brows, hairline and eyelashes, but there is still a steady decline happening. I do have this bizarre 3 month regrowth and recession though, and each time ktime hair grows back, it is thinner and there is less of it. Hence the dutas/RU now.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
not necessarily, regrowth happens with extreme regimens. Some get good results with corticosteriods and those thin the skin.

what?! it does?
Yeah. Men can get hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism (what I have) from marathon running etc. just means low as f*** test.

bridgeburn

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. Men can get hypogonadotrophic hypogonadism (what I have) from marathon running etc. just means low as f*** test.
oh probably from too much stress on their body, not sure if that would be good for hair in that case >.<