Why Topical Dutasteride Might Cause Less Sides Than Oral/topical Finasteride

INT

Reaction score
Hi all,

@Pigeon posted that the user @Mustang is currently having success with an extremely low dosage of topical Dutasteride. He said the following:

Go topical dutasteride
I have been on it for 3 months now. Completely stopped my hair loss and zero side effects as compared with oral finasteride which was not as effective.
Best part is I only apply 2ml once a month. Half-life of the drug is so long that you don't need daily usage.

I did some research on the topic and there seems to be a valid hypothesis going around regarding why topical dutasteride might actually be safer compared to oral (and even topical) finasteride.

"The idea behind topical dutasteride has to do with the chemical properties compared to finasteride. At the molecular level, dutasteride is more difficult to deliver as a topical agent to be absorbed through the skin due to the size of dutasteride molecules. They are larger than those of finasteride. This difficulty however becomes an advantage as the difficulty to get past the subcutaneous layer may prevent systemic absorption. The molecular size prevents deep penetration. In addition, dutasteride has a high lipophilicity of 4.94, compared to 3.03 of finasteride, which means it is less water soluble than finasteride or more “greasy”. This higher lipophilicity can in theory help dutasteride to remain in the skin longer as these properties tend to preclude the paracellular and follicular routes of ingress into the skin."

https://fuehairdoctor.co.uk/topical-dutasteride-dr-lupanzula/

Any other people here that used topical dutasteride and want to share their experiences?

Thought in general?

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
I have been in touch with the particular clinic. Apparently you can also purchase the topical if you are not a patient. The costs of the topical is 45 eu for what I assume is a 1 month supply. If you would only apply 2 ML (or a bit more) a month like @Mustang then that is still quite cheaper than most minoxidils per ML actually

Only problem is that you do need to book a consultation first which costs 100 eu.

The clinic has branches in Belgium, France, UK and Italy

xaragedom

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
There is one(or two) study where they was injecting dutasteride with mesotherapy showed much better benefits vs mesotherapy alone but I think if you just put dutasteride in liquid/cream form on your scalp it wont give you much result simply because it is too big molecule (528 daltons) so it's absorbtion through scalp is almost non-existing.

INT

Reaction score
There is one(or two) study where they was injecting dutasteride with mesotherapy showed much better benefits vs mesotherapy alone but I think if you just put dutasteride in liquid/cream form on your scalp it wont give you much result simply because it is too big molecule (528 daltons) so it's absorbtion through scalp is almost non-existing.

Wasn't the 500 dalton rule already disproven? Or was it just being debated... I will do some research on this. This is what the hair transplant clinic I posted has to say about it:

"The idea behind topical dutasteride has to do with the chemical properties compared to finasteride. At the molecular level, dutasteride is more difficult to deliver as a topical agent to be absorbed through the skin due to the size of dutasteride molecules. They are larger than those of finasteride. This difficulty however becomes an advantage as the difficulty to get past the subcutaneous layer may prevent systemic absorption. The molecular size prevents deep penetration. In addition, dutasteride has a high lipophilicity of 4.94, compared to 3.03 of finasteride, which means it is less water soluble than finasteride or more “greasy”. This higher lipophilicity can in theory help dutasteride to remain in the skin longer as these properties tend to preclude the paracellular and follicular routes of ingress into the skin."

Last edited:

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I have heard this story too. Perhaps that's why the renowned Belgian doctor is prescribing liposomal topical duta to his patients. It could be a way to force absorption...

I tried topical dutasteride for about a year, didn't work.

...which leads me to ask, were you taking liposomal dutasteride or some duta mixed in alcohol/PG/minoxidil? (+ have you ever responded to a fina/duta treatment?)

This is very interesting. Any idea on the standard prescription this doctor is prescribing to his patients? 1mL of 0,5% daily? I wonder what my mate @badhabiz would say about it.

If anyone decides to try this, please perform blood test to check systemic absorption! That would be amazing.

Last edited:

INT

Reaction score
I have heard this story too. Perhaps that's why the renowned Belgian doctor is prescribing liposomal topical duta to his patients. It could be a way to force absorption...

...which leads me to ask, were you taking liposomal dutasteride or some duta mixed in alcohol/PG/minoxidil? (+ have you ever responded to a fina/duta treatment?)

This is very interesting. Any idea on the standard prescription this doctor is prescribing to his patients? 1mL of 0,5% daily? I wonder what my mate @badhabiz would say about it.

If anyone decides to try this, please perform blood test to check systemic absorption! That would be amazing.

In a few months I will relocate to relatively close to this clinic. I am definitely considering it.

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

yes would be interesting to have a 18/24 months study on absorption rate and accumulation rate (which i would fear) of these mulecules in mesotherapy or other carriers. I understand INT user has overcome some side effects of the previous therapy and hes' starting a new one. the best of luck

FilthyFrancis

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It seems they performed a study with 15 people under topical duta + micro-needling for 6 months. Their DHT/T levels was checked prior and 1 week after the treatment (sadly, not regularly).
  • Treatment was performed with a 1,5mm dermapen;
  • Applied dutasteride quantity was of 0,04mg (2 mL x 0,02% DST solution);
  • 13 sessions were done according to the following schedule:
  1. Once every week for eight weeks (week 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7);
  2. Once every two weeks for one month (week 9, 11);
  3. Once every month for three months (week 15, 19, 23).
8-Table9-1.png

EDIT: The treatment proved itself very effective (did not comment on this as it was just too obvious)

Attachments

• duta micro needling study.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

soundnvision

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been in touch with the particular clinic. Apparently you can also purchase the topical if you are not a patient. The costs of the topical is 45 eu for what I assume is a 1 month supply. If you would only apply 2 ML (or a bit more) a month like @Mustang then that is still quite cheaper than most minoxidils per ML actually

Only problem is that you do need to book a consultation first which costs 100 eu.

So I can get this in the uk now?
I contacted them last year and they said I needed to.go to Belgium for an assessment to get it.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Interesting, im avoiding the use of topicals now but this could be really good for some people who can't tolerate oral dutasteride.

Last edited:

blub10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Whats the Name of the clinic and pharmacy?
I will purchase it immediately and do DHT blood Tests before and after

Thinning Sucks

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I’m starting again the concoction of adding to bottle minoxidil:
6 Essential oils combined & 2 squirts in
3 finasteride tablets
1 dutasteride capsule opened up.
This should be very effective!!