Why Topical Dutasteride Might Cause Less Sides Than Oral/topical Finasteride

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it correct that topical dutasteride should never be used around pregnant women? I'm currently using oral dutasteride, and I have considered switching to topical. However, my wife is currently five weeks pregnant, and I assume therefore that it would be extremely foolish and risky for me to use a topical antiandrogen. In addition, our son is at the age where he will begin puberty soon, and I assume that topical dutasteride would be a risk to him too.

I know that some people advise against using oral dutasteride too if your partner is pregnant or trying to get pregnant (the same also applies to finasteride), but I've researched that issue at length, and the risks associated with it are very low because the amount of dutasteride that is present in a man's semen is incredibly small.

I'm guessing that topical dutasteride is much more dangerous to use around pregnant women than oral dutasteride, because if your hair or scalp touches anything, some of it will be transferred. It will go on your pillow, sofa cushions, etc., and if your partner touches your hair, it will be on her hands.

Last edited:

RecoveringMinoxAddict

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Is it correct that topical dutasteride should never be used around pregnant women? I'm currently using oral dutasteride, and I have considered switching to topical. However, my wife is currently five weeks pregnant, and I assume therefore that it would be extremely foolish and risky for me to use a topical antiandrogen. In addition, our son is at the age where he will begin puberty soon, and I assume that topical dutasteride would be a risk to him too.

I know that some people advise against using oral dutasteride too if your partner is pregnant or trying to get pregnant (the same also applies to finasteride), but I've researched that issue at length, and the risks associated with it are very low because the amount of dutasteride that is present in a man's semen is incredibly small.

I'm guessing that topical dutasteride is much more dangerous to use around pregnant women than oral dutasteride, because whenever your hair or scalp touches anything, some of it will be transferred. It will go on your pillow, sofa cushions, etc., and if your partner touches your hair, it will be on her hands.
I would not risk it with puberty sons and pregnant women around. That sh*t is fierce.

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would not risk it with puberty sons and pregnant women around. That sh*t is fierce.
Thanks, and I agree. I'm not going to risk it.

It is actually a big downside of topical dutasteride (and topical finasteride too) the fact that it is completely unsafe to use if you are trying to conceive or if your partner is pregnant, or if you have a son who is going through puberty (I assume with a daughter it is not an issue, but I am not certain of this), because most men will want to become a father at some point in their life.

RecoveringMinoxAddict

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks, and I agree. I'm not going to risk it.

It is actually a big downside of topical dutasteride (and topical finasteride too) the fact that it is completely unsafe to use if you are trying to conceive or if your partner is pregnant, or if you have a son who is going through puberty (I assume with a daughter it is not an issue, but I am not certain of this), because most men will want to become a father at some point in their life.
Daughter is risk, too.

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
shouldn't be an issue if you're a bit carefull. You only need to apply topical dutasteride approximately once every week, and when you do, just do it in the morning and wash it off the same day before bed. Just use a cap or something to shield the hair from getting in contact with the surroundings when applying dutasteride

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just apply it and don't let anyone touch your hair for 4 hours, wash it out. Voilà.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is the consesus on how often to use this? Once a week, every other week, once a month? Do most of you guys just make it from home, if so what solution? Is it better to buy online? I plan to start by the end of the month but I need these answers.

Last edited:

telogen

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is the consesus on how often to use this? Once a week, every other week, once a month? Do most of you guys just make it from home, if so what solution? Is it better to buy online? I plan to start by the end of the month but I need these answers.
from my own experience about every 7-14 day, this is when my libido feels like it's back to normal, and the scalp get more itchy.

you need to use a liposomal vechicle to reduce the sides to an minimal.

bucksins6x

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from my own experience about every 7-14 day, this is when my libido feels like it's back to normal, and the scalp get more itchy.

you need to use a liposomal vechicle to reduce the sides to an minimal.
Where do you purchase a liposomal vehicle or what exactly is it

cmoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, any news here? I ordered topical dutasteride 0.1% mixed with trichosol and planning to start it as far as I receive my bottle.
1Ml once a week should be ok for the start?

Ivo Shandor

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello, any news here? I ordered topical dutasteride 0.1% mixed with trichosol and planning to start it as far as I receive my bottle.
1Ml once a week should be ok for the start?
How are you getting on with it?

cmoi

My Regimen
Reaction score
still on it , few sides but not that much I do once a week, i'm going to move to once /2weeks