Why Do People Want Kids? Is It Even Ethical?

seggy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always loved children, so that's the main reason. Plus, as I've gotten older, I find that I desire to see a reflection of myself in someone else - to know that they have some of the same qualities and attributes and tendencies that I have. That aspect of it is selfish, yes. But it's strong. Even my niece is like me in a lot of ways, and that genetic/behavioral similarity forms a strong bond, and it's amazing to watch them develop as a result.

For me that is the same. And: the little bastards can be funny as hell.

My niece does not like to walk "longer" distances. She start begging to be carried frequently, which is annoying because she start getting heavier and heavier. Last week she got new shoes and wanted to be carries again. In my ultimate wisdom I told her, well, you got new shoes, you can walk for yourself. To which she replied: I did not get new feet, did I? I nearly pissed myself.

Children have this ability to be so non-judgemental. Sometimes they ask you about why your bald, but they do not care one way or another.

Patrick_Bateman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
For me that is the same. And: the little bastards can be funny as hell.

My niece does not like to walk "longer" distances. She start begging to be carried frequently, which is annoying because she start getting heavier and heavier. Last week she got new shoes and wanted to be carries again. In my ultimate wisdom I told her, well, you got new shoes, you can walk for yourself. To which she replied: I did not get new feet, did I? I nearly pissed myself.

Children have this ability to be so non-judgemental. Sometimes they ask you about why your bald, but they do not care one way or another.
A kid once asked why I was ugly.
tenor.gif

Patrick_Bateman

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
lol kids are usually brutal and cruel. I remember my little cousin punching me in my balls before as hard as he could, i fell to the ground in pain and he stood on me looking victorious and laughing.
Kids do and say exactly what they want without thinking about consequences. They’re also not able to pronounciate words properly, bad balance, and think they’re stronger than they really are. I guess kids are exactly like drunk people, except they can’t be punished.

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Kids do and say exactly what they want without thinking about consequences. They’re also not able to pronounciate words properly, bad balance, and think they’re stronger than they really are. I guess kids are exactly like drunk people, except they can’t be punished.
Kids these days are pain in the *** because parents usually don't give a f*** about them and don't raise them properly. Also, social media from a young age is an instant destroyer to the development of kids. People need to take the kids situation more seriously and stop f*****g around giving births to kids who are doomed to be miserable from the beginning because of them.

IMO, having kids must be like this.

Average people in terms of looks, money, status should possess above average intelligence and good mental health to have kids.

Above average people in terms of looks, money, status need to have average intelligence or higher (>105 IQ in the west) (we don't want a retarded chad in society) to have kids.

Below average people shouldn't reproduce and just adopt a kid from an orphanage to save his life instead of giving birth to someone who will feel nothing but misery and pain.

seggy

My Regimen
Reaction score
A kid once asked why I was ugly.
View attachment 69918

Kids can aks nasty thing. Lots of times it is not ill intended. Compared to "adults" it is not nearly as bad. Lot's of adults hide their nasty comments in nice words. These day's I make an effort to say nasty stuff the people that are nasty to others.

Kids do ask me why I'm bold. Or the ask if I would like to have hair etc etc. Especially among other people this makes you feel like sh*t (mainly because everybody needs to have this little laugh about it).

My niece asked my if she could get the same haircut as I do.

The other side, if I look at myself and wonder: the majority of my adult live has been directly influenced by hair loss. I cannot remember a period of time that I did not worry about hair loss. To this day I'm not succeeding in accepting it. If that is what the future is like, i'm not sure it is worth it. Would I want to bring a child in to the world knowing this is a very real possibility.

Janko

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Rationally I dont want to have kids. I have some genetic failures, so I find it selfish to have a kid. Rest of family is completely OK. It looks like I won the jackpot. Maybe even my fathers pressure on me having kids makes me not wanting them.
On the other side somewhere inside I do want them and I understand, that women mostly want to have kids. So I will probably let this decision to be made by my partner. She will be the one bearing the child and probably doing most of the care. I find it fair to let her decide whether or not we will have kids.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
What do you think about it ?

Your appearance is a complex combination of genetics and environment. Environment includes not just what clothes you wear and whether or not you work out (lol), but embryonic and early childhood nutrition and love in particular. As an example there's research suggesting that fat kids (and maybe stressed out kids?) will hit puberty earlier, that will change their appearance as adults in a manner that is independent of what most here call "genetics". If you hit puberty earlier you will likely have a different hair distribution (all over your body), a different (shorter) height, and a different frame.

Within your DNA some genes turn on and off. Further the extent to which they're expressing can go up and down within that spectrum by a significant amount.

Now with respect to "the bald gene", I find that concept remarkably scientifically illiterate. It's almost certainly inaccurate. Look around you. People have different patterns of baldness involving DUPA, the temples, the hairline, the crown, and diffuse thinning (at the very least), each diffusing at different rates., so there's a diversity of progression speeds and final patterns. We also have (very !!!) different responses to finasteride and minoxidil implying a diversity of mechanisms in play. There is almost certainly no "baldness gene", but rather an interaction between a large number of genes. There was actually a study posted here a while back (I just remembered) showing that several hundred genes might be involved in baldness.

Given that there are several hundred genes involved, and that baldness its very common in the general population, it's the case that ... probably everybody has some bald genes. Separately from that there won't be any baldness in thirty years so it's a moot point. Separately from that it's not the most important feature that defines you.

So all of these arguments about "my genetics are bad !!" are just an ignorant cope for people trying to justify the fact that they're not having kids. The real reason is that they either can't have kids (due to being undesired, infertile, etc) or that they don't want the constraint on their lifestyle, they want to keep living their 20s until their 60s rather than carpooling to Kumon and Karate practice. That's fine, but just say the truth.

Stanx22

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your appearance is a complex combination of genetics and environment. Environment includes not just what clothes you wear and whether or not you work out (lol), but embryonic and early childhood nutrition and love in particular. As an example there's research suggesting that fat kids (and maybe stressed out kids?) will hit puberty earlier, that will change their appearance as adults in a manner that is independent of what most here call "genetics". If you hit puberty earlier you will likely have a different hair distribution (all over your body), a different (shorter) height, and a different frame.

Within your DNA some genes turn on and off. Further the extent to which they're expressing can go up and down within that spectrum by a significant amount.

Now with respect to "the bald gene", I find that concept remarkably scientifically illiterate. It's almost certainly inaccurate. Look around you. People have different patterns of baldness involving DUPA, the temples, the hairline, the crown, and diffuse thinning (at the very least), each diffusing at different rates., so there's a diversity of progression speeds and final patterns. We also have (very !!!) different responses to finasteride and minoxidil implying a diversity of mechanisms in play. There is almost certainly no "baldness gene", but rather an interaction between a large number of genes. There was actually a study posted here a while back (I just remembered) showing that several hundred genes might be involved in baldness.

Given that there are several hundred genes involved, and that baldness its very common in the general population, it's the case that ... probably everybody has some bald genes. Separately from that there won't be any baldness in thirty years so it's a moot point. Separately from that it's not the most important feature that defines you.

So all of these arguments about "my genetics are bad !!" are just an ignorant cope for people trying to justify the fact that they're not having kids. The real reason is that they either can't have kids (due to being undesired, infertile, etc) or that they don't want the constraint on their lifestyle, they want to keep living their 20s until their 60s rather than carpooling to Kumon and Karate practice. That's fine, but just say the truth.
I hit pubery early (at 12 yo), so i know what you're talking about. My height is shorter than average, my body is "weird" looking, my bones are small, so it has actually heavily impacted my whole life tbh.

About the bald gene, you're 100% right. I should't be going bald. My mother's side has superior genetics, literally all males die NW0-NW1 with teenager's density. My father is bald, but he went bald at 30 years old or something, so according to these genetics and family history i shouldn't be going bald or at least expect it late in life, right ? Nope, here i'am at 17 years old losing my hair at a scary rate.

I have a cousin whose mother suffers from baldness, his father was bald late in life, but he carries the gene, his grandfather mother's side and his uncle (my father) are bald, so you'll sure expect him to be slick bald very young right ? Nope, he's 35 with NW1, thick hair. What i'm trying to say, that what you said is actually true and there're examples in real life to prove it (me and my cousin).

No one can expect the true outcome of genetics, we can only guess.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have 8 first cousins who are male and roughly my age. Of those 8, only 1 has a similar baldness pattern. Another one has a much more aggressive pattern, and the remainder have good hair.