Why Do People Want Kids? Is It Even Ethical?

UncleMort

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
When I was 16 my parents had friends with a daughter.

Her parents match was squat and short with big heads

I remember thinking poor kid/I bet she will have a damn hard time

Saw them all again 20 years layer

The daughter was unable to marry

f*** those parents

Last edited:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, not if you think that people are a cancer on the surface of the planet and that we'd all be better off if there were less of us.

Personally, I want kids because that's what the vast majority of people has always done and I don't think I'll have anything better to do anyway.

I want kids for me. I'm not going to grandstand and claim that it's my way to be superior to others.

Similarly, people who don't want kids because they'd rather have more money and time for sailing, expensive restaurants, and the home theatre system should just say that, rather than self-righteously claiming to put the environment first.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
Personally, I want kids because that's what the vast majority of people has always done and I don't think I'll have anything better to do anyway.

Isn't that argument selfish? "I want..." rather that should an entity be created which might/will have to suffer?

I think the decision should be predicated upon what kind of genes you can give the potential kid, as well as what kind of upbringing. And before you give isolated anecdotes, it's about figuring out if the dice is such that the odds are in favor of the potential kid's happiness before you roll it.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with wanting kids. It's engrained deep within us and we can't fight evolution. Wanting BIOLOGICAL children could be conceived as selfish and arrogant. Aside from the act of giving birth, the only thing thing that sets biological and adopted children apart is the blood line, which means nothing nowadays.

blackg

Reaction score
I personally don't want any kids, though I'm more then happy for all the countries of the Western world to increase their output of children.
We need future generations to look after us in terms of taxation.

Anyway, a screaming kid of my own would just cut into my drinking time.

UncleMort

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Isn't that argument selfish? "I want..." rather that should an entity be created which might/will have to suffer?

I think the decision should be predicated upon what kind of genes you can give the potential kid, as well as what kind of upbringing. And before you give isolated anecdotes, it's about figuring out if the dice is such that the odds are in favor of the potential kid's happiness before you roll it.

I hate to say this.....and i dont mean to be macabre..........but when you bring any kid into this world you are essentially "russian rouletting" somebody elses suffering

Last edited:

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I don't like the argument that having kids as selfish and trying to guilt trip people into not having kids. I think even unattractive people can be good parents and it adds meaning to life for some people. It is human nature to want kids there is no denying that , it is biology. I think there is nothing ethnically wrong with having kids however the line gets a little sketchy when you factor in things like genetic disaeses. Let's say you know you have a terrible disease in your DNA and you will die at 50- and so will your kid. Now some people use the argument that by the time your kid is 50 a cure will be out , but in reality no one knows. But the thing is who gets to make this distinction of at what point you aren't genetically good enough to have a kid - disease ? Baldness ? Shortness ? Mental health problems? In the end it's a highly personal thing but I don't think people having kids is a bad thing.

That being said I don't plan on having kids for lots of reasons. 1) because I don't want to pass on my genes 2) because I want to have my freedom 3) because I'm not interested in women 4) I would have a hard time getting women even if i wanted to

Baldingat188

Reaction score
I hate to say this.....and i dont mean to by macabre..........but when you bring any kid into this world you are essentially "russsian rouletting" somebody elses suffering

Yea maybe you are ... but I can say even with all my shitty genetics and features and the fact that I have suicidal thoughts regularly I'm still glad I got a chance to be alive. I know that might sound weird and backwards since I do consider suicide a lot , but this really isn't a life is good cope. I'm just glad I got to experience life for what it's worth , even if mine has been sort of shitty. It's so cliche but life can be amazing and there is something for everyone. There is joy even in a shitty life ... yea I don't really know what I'm saying lol. So yes I'm glad I got a chance to live. But do I want to die? Sometimes.

sisenegonan

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can say the same. The suffering you are subjected to, in childhood, declares the man you become when you grow up. Since I balded 15->17->21 my wounds are quite deep, to the point where I simply despise going to outings, being with 'real' people. It doesn't help when your own family teases you. Out of all the grandchildren my grandfather had, I balded the fastest, and was immediately the centre of 'advice' with people giving stupid sorts of advice regarding me to my father, things they would never do to their own children.

The one good thing, now that I got my hair back, is that my father no longer shows me off as 'I'm proud of this son'. At this point he's actually afraid someone will cast a curse. Ever since I got my hair back, he's not 'demonstrated' me to any of his close relatives, or even family friends/irl friends. He's quite protective about me as well. I'm sad it took so much to get him to 'care' but never late I guess.

My hair loss treatment have largely eliminated that possibility.

Thats the one foolproof thing about this treatment. Its just ethically wrong IMO to subject someone to this amount of suffering. Like in Dues Ex they were making a drug to find the 'augment rejection' gene and delete it, when they do the same for balding, that would be cool. I imagine it would be the costliest as well since its considered 'cosmetic'.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with wanting kids. It's engrained deep within us and we can't fight evolution. Wanting BIOLOGICAL children could be conceived as selfish and arrogant. Aside from the act of giving birth, the only thing thing that sets biological and adopted children apart is the blood line, which means nothing nowadays.

Yes, more people who obsess over the idea of having families and raising children should be adopting imo. So many children without any stable source of love or support who need families

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
Yes, more people who obsess over the idea of having families and raising children should be adopting imo. So many children without any stable source of love or support who need families

There are many poor families(couple's) with child too.

Don't think that only orphan kids need support.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's actually very difficult to adopt in Western countries. The wait list can be several years.

Still an honorable thing though, for those who do it

I may pursue adoption one day if I am ever in a stable position psychologically and financially to do so

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've always loved children, so that's the main reason. Plus, as I've gotten older, I find that I desire to see a reflection of myself in someone else - to know that they have some of the same qualities and attributes and tendencies that I have. That aspect of it is selfish, yes. But it's strong. Even my niece is like me in a lot of ways, and that genetic/behavioral similarity forms a strong bond, and it's amazing to watch them develop as a result.

Saurabhaj

Reaction score
In India also,Adoption is impossible for couple's with average income.

My one relative have adopted on cute little girl (now my cousin sis) but they had to show that they are worthy enough (Indirect for wealthy enough) to adopt her.
I think they also commited some money in insurance policy for my cousin that will matured on her 18th bday.