Why are people so against finasteride?

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not dangerous. You've been horribly misled.

I too was worried that it would block testosterone, and actually cause fertility problems. Then I asked by dermatologist about it. It doesn't work that way. It doesn't block testosterone. It basically modifies the testosterone to stop the harmful part of it.

You can believe the nonsense if you wish. I'll stick with a dermatologist with many years experience over the random health site dot coms.

A large amount of people on here know more about actual hairloss treatments and the side effects of hairloss drugs than dermatologists. So by you telling us you'd rather stick with the limited knowledge a dermatologist has on hairloss and the hairloss treatments actually makes your argument look even weaker than it already was.

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Have had zero sides. Know other people who take it, they have zero sides. I can jerk off 4 times in a day and still have sex, Idk what to tell you, most don’t get sides
I agree after almost 22 years on the stuff, I could jerk off at least 4 times a day as well if I needed to, but unless I want to join Onlyfans there probably isn't much point. the sad part is whenever anybody on a hair loss regimen like yourself post's a comment saying they have stabilized their hair loss, two of the most vocal people instantly try and shut them down and go to work to prove them wrong, The irony is neither of them have stabilized their own hair loss, nor can they provide any alternative method that they have personally used that is able to halt their progressive male pattern baldness over a 5-10 year period without further noticeable decline.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree after almost 22 years on the stuff, I could jerk off at least 4 times a day as well if I needed to, but unless I want to join Onlyfans there probably isn't much point. the sad part is whenever anybody on a hair loss regimen like yourself post's a comment saying they have stabilized their hair loss, two of the most vocal people instantly try and shut them down and go to work to prove them wrong, The irony is neither of them have stabilized their own hair loss, nor can they provide any alternative method that they have personally used that is able to halt their progressive male pattern baldness over a 5-10 year period without further noticeable decline.

No, the irony is my hair and many others hair were actually much better before using Finasteride, and after stopping Finasteride for a year it actually improved drastically.

No one said our goal by not using treatment was to have zero deterioration, because that's almost impossible if someone has male pattern baldness.

Also, many people, including myself have had far better results with Microneedling + Minoxidil. We've been over this multiple times.

Also a 10% deterioration in my hair in 3 years is pretty good considering many people on Finasteride can only hope to achieve such little deterioration, let alone any improvement or maintenance at all.

So your statement is false.

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Use whatever treatment you can to achieve your own personal goals, It's a forum to share advice and to help others at the end of the day, there is no need to constantly try and discredit people, if the regimen they have chosen is able provide them with a result they are happy with, then that is up to them, i'm not going to wish I had spent the last 27 years Micro needling and continuously applying Minoxidil instead, so mentioning this to me as an alternative treatment that would have provided me with the same result is fairly futile

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Use whatever treatment you can to achieve your own personal goals, It's a forum to share advice and to help others at the end of the day, there is no need to constantly try and discredit people, if the regimen they have chosen is able provide them with a result they are happy with, then that is up to them, i'm not going to wish I had spent the last 27 years Micro needling and continuously applying Minoxidil instead, so mentioning this to me as an alternative treatment that would have provided me with the same result is fairly futile

You indirectly mentioned me and said I "didn't provide any alternative method that they have personally used" and that's just false. I've already discussed with you that I had used Minoxidil and Microneedling with success and maintenance and regrowth. You asked for an alternative and I provided one, then you tell me it's futile because you lack the discipline to use the method, which doesn't mean what I suggested isn't a valid alternative, because it is valid for many people.

Furthermore, you like to mention about people needing some treatment that would last us 5 to 10 years of maintenance, but we aren't living 5 or 10 years ago where we'd need something to last us that long (even though it is possible to have maintenance on Minoxidil + Microneedling for that long).

There are a multitude of treatments right lined up in the next few years to buy us more time until the even better treatments are available, the first of which is Pyrilutamide scheduled for 2023 and is said to be better than Finasteride and without the side effects.

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then you tell me it's futile because you lack the discipline to use the method, which doesn't mean what I suggested isn't a valid alternative, because it is for many people.
Minoxidil would not have given me the same maintenance results over the last 22 years as finasteride, if you want to believe it would have done that's up to you, but I don't think you are in a position to convince me otherwise.

As a 27 year veteran on treating my own hair loss I also don't think It needs to be suggested that I lack 'discipline' to stick to to my chosen treatment's especially coming from a guy who by his own admission is too lazy to even stick to anything . There is no point in me discussing this in an augmentative fashion with a hair loss newbie like yourself
Furthermore, you like to mention about is needing some treatment that would last us 5 to 10 years of maintenance, but we aren't living 5 or 10 years ago where we'd need something to last us that long.

There are a multitude of treatments right lined up in the next few years, the first of which is Pyrilutamide scheduled for 2023 and is said to be better than Finasteride and without the side effects.

If your best advice to me and others is just wait 5 to 10 years for something better to come along, i would rather you stop commenting, there is nothing you can say that I am remotely interested in hearing. I don't have the time to waste conversing with you further.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil would not have given me the same maintenance results over the last 22 years as finasteride, if you want to believe it would have done that's up to you, but I don't think you are in a position to convince me otherwise.

As a 27 year veteran on treating my own hair loss I also don't think It needs to be suggested that I lack 'discipline' to stick to to my chosen treatment's especially coming from a guy who by his own admission is too lazy to even stick to anything . There is no point in me discussing this in an augmentative fashion with a hair loss newbie like yourself

If your best advice to me and others is just wait 5 to 10 years for something better to come along, i would rather you stop commenting, there is nothing you can say that I am remotely interested in hearing. I don't have the time to waste conversing with you further.

Taking a pill everyday does not require any considerable "discipline", it's like drinking water, requires almost zero effort to pop a pill relative to the discipline to use Minoxidil twice a day, every day, or to microneedle at most once a week.

Discipline that can actually be measured would be someone who can use a treatment like Minoxidil, that requires many minutes of effort, twice a day, every day.

Also, you're wrong again, I didn't choose to use no treatment for years because I was lazy, it was because I wanted to give my hair ample time to recover from the horror effect Finasteride had on my hair. Big difference.

Also, you cannot use the past to determine the future. Simple example would be taking Pyrilutamide, never in the history of hairloss treatment has there been any hairloss treatment that has flown through the clinical trial process as fast as it has. Furthermore, Kintor Pharmaceuticals is so confident in Pyrilutamide that they had run dual trials simultaneously in both China and the USA, for both men and women!

And Yes, conversing with you is futile as you consistently get your facts wrong.

Last edited:

20YearsOnFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I used Minoxidil in the late 90's for years, prior to starting finasteride........ for a longer period than you ever did so what point are you trying to make?

why do you always have to start an combative argument with everyone?

the only discipline you have ever shown, is to be dedicated to keeping up this retarded 'I Know better than everybody, and always have to get the last word in'' persona on here.

The majority of people reading a hair loss forum, have no interest in hearing the aggressive argumentative opinions of a guy on zero treatments.

carry on with your do f'all approach and leave others alone to share whatever works best for them.

Last edited:

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
what are you supposed to do? dont take finasteride, go bald get depressed and 0 women because you're bald?
there is no alternative
pick your poison
might as well take the poison that allows you to keep your har
it's a loss loss scenario either way
Yep, better to keep what you have of hair, have girls but bad sex,how long you think it will last you a girl if you suck in bed ?

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
what are you supposed to do? dont take finasteride, go bald get depressed and 0 women because you're bald?
there is no alternative
pick your poison
might as well take the poison that allows you to keep your har
it's a loss loss scenario either way
What about use it a treatment that work and don't cause you side effects cause you are inhibiting an enzyme that is part of may other reactions , plus you are inhibiting 70 % of the a NATURAL androgen that is a normal values in your body ?!

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Lol, my friend you're a noob I see, you don't know anything. Tell me do dermatoligsts know anything about endocrinology or neurosteroidal functions? Lol, keep deluding yourself.

Health Risks Associated with Long-Term Finasteride and Dutasteride Use: It's Time to Sound the Alarm

Abstract

5?-dihydrotestosterone (5?-DHT) is the most potent natural androgen. 5?-DHT elicits a multitude of physiological actions, in a host of tissues, including prostate, seminal vesicles, hair follicles, skin, kidney, and lacrimal and meibomian glands. However, the physiological role of 5?-DHT in human physiology, remains questionable and, at best, poorly appreciated. Recent emerging literature supports a role for 5?-DHT in the physiological function of liver, pancreatic ?-cell function and survival, ocular function and prevention of dry eye disease and kidney physiological function. Thus, inhibition of 5?-reductases with finasteride or dutasteride to reduce 5?-DHT biosynthesis in the course of treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or male pattern hair loss, known as androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) my induces a novel form of tissue specific androgen deficiency and contributes to a host of pathophysiological conditions, that are yet to be fully recognized. Here, we advance the concept that blockade of 5?-reductases by finasteride or dutasteride in a mechanism-based, irreversible, inhabitation of 5?-DHT biosynthesis results in a novel state of androgen deficiency, independent of circulating testosterone levels. Finasteride and dutasteride are frequently prescribed for long-term treatment of lower urinary tract symptoms in men with BPH and in men with Androgenetic Alopecia. This treatment may result in development of non-alcoholic fatty liver diseases (NAFLD), insulin resistance (IR), type 2 diabetes (T2DM), dry eye disease, potential kidney dysfunction, among other metabolic dysfunctions. We suggest that long-term use of finasteride and dutasteride may be associated with health risks including NAFLD, IR, T2DM, dry eye disease and potential kidney disease.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32202088/

Adverse Event Reporting in Clinical Trials of Finasteride for Androgenic Alopecia: A Meta-analysis​

Conclusions and relevance: Available toxicity information from clinical trials of finasteride in men with Androgenetic Alopecia is very limited, is of poor quality, and seems to be systematically biased. In a cohort of men prescribed finasteride for routine treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia, most would have been excluded from the pivotal studies that supported US Food and Drug Administration approval for Androgenetic Alopecia. Published reports of clinical trials provide insufficient information to establish the safety profile for finasteride in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia.

Keep coping
This highlights my point exactly.
You think you're qualified to interpret that study when you're clearly not at all.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL you have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like a noob to this. If you read this thread you will find lots of information posted by myself and many other people including studies and literature from highly respectable places. Pages and pages of it.

A LOT of people have even testified about their sides on Finasteride, many of which were irreversible and then what are you going to say it's a nocebo effect? Lol.

Also, I am a critical thinker. You said I thought researching was "easy" but nowhere did I use the word "easy" that you quoted. If you were a critical thinker you wouldn't have misquoted me.
So you are not even slightly what can be considered a critical thinker.

I implied that researching is not something that is ridiculously difficult, not that it is easy. Many people on this forum have aptitude levels high enough to research topics on their own.

Also, I don't need to be an expert on drugs, anyone who spends many years learning about a specific topic can be knowledgeable enough.

Do you know how many people can code exceptionally well without a degree in computer science or without any I.T/software related degree?
Your weak argument falls flat on its face when if you knew how many people could code at expert level with no degree. The same concept applies to researching.
An inquisitive mind, perserverance and consistency is enough to master almost anything in life.

You're obviously just unhappy that I don't share the same views as you.

I even mentioned Merck's website for Propecia is shut down and you think that's nothing to be concerned about. LOL.
And clearly don't understand that you're not qualified to interpret those studies.

How do you know those testimonial results are because of the drug? You don't have a way of knowing that. See, when I tell you that you, and just regular people, aren't good at research, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

My dermatologist mentioned the noncebo cause for that one study. Sure, I'd say it's the most likely cause. The other being a statistical anomaly.

You think you're a critical thinker, but you're definitely not.

I didn't misrepresent what you said... You did portray people doing their own research as easy for people to do. People can go back and read what you posted, I don't know why you'd be dishonest about that.

"Not difficult"? Or "easy" in other words. Why play semantics word games? It makes you look very dishonest.

"I don't need to be an expert on drugs." How can you even start to have an understanding of a study without a middling understanding of what the study covers...? You can't. What nonsense.

You're coding example isn't the same. Each person compiles the code, and you get a test right then and there if the code works. It either functions or spits errors at you. The same thing isn't happening for the things you're reading online. You're not getting an error message every time you misinterpret something.

What? I'm telling you why you're wrong. Happiness has nothing to do with that. How strange.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A large amount of people on here know more about actual hairloss treatments and the side effects of hairloss drugs than dermatologists. So by you telling us you'd rather stick with the limited knowledge a dermatologist has on hairloss and the hairloss treatments actually makes your argument look even weaker than it already was.
Random people online don't know more than dermatologists that have years of both study and experience and do it as their day job.
What an absurd level of arrogance.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I second this. Don’t automatically discard a treatment because of a claim a random person online made. Take it to your dermatologist and ask them what's best for you.

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
How bad was your baseline when you started finasteride? Age? And how aggressive was your loss?
I was thinning but not too badly. You had to look close to see it. I was 32 when I started finasteride. My hair loss is not aggressive, but it's definitely there.

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not dangerous. You've been horribly misled.

I too was worried that it would block testosterone, and actually cause fertility problems. Then I asked by dermatologist about it. It doesn't work that way. It doesn't block testosterone. It basically modifies the testosterone to stop the harmful part of it.

You can believe the nonsense if you wish. I'll stick with a dermatologist with many years experience over the random health site dot coms.
lol . Not dangerous ?! hahahajaja. Ignorant .

jamesbooker1975

My Regimen
Reaction score
And clearly don't understand that you're not qualified to interpret those studies.

How do you know those testimonial results are because of the drug? You don't have a way of knowing that. See, when I tell you that you, and just regular people, aren't good at research, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

My dermatologist mentioned the noncebo cause for that one study. Sure, I'd say it's the most likely cause. The other being a statistical anomaly.

You think you're a critical thinker, but you're definitely not.

I didn't misrepresent what you said... You did portray people doing their own research as easy for people to do. People can go back and read what you posted, I don't know why you'd be dishonest about that.

"Not difficult"? Or "easy" in other words. Why play semantics word games? It makes you look very dishonest.

"I don't need to be an expert on drugs." How can you even start to have an understanding of a study without a middling understanding of what the study covers...? You can't. What nonsense.

You're coding example isn't the same. Each person compiles the code, and you get a test right then and there if the code works. It either functions or spits errors at you. The same thing isn't happening for the things you're reading online. You're not getting an error message every time you misinterpret something.

What? I'm telling you why you're wrong. Happiness has nothing to do with that. How strange.
hahaha . Nonesebo . Your derm is an idiot . Allopregnolone inhibition is a nonesebo ! lol . You fon’t even know what you are inhibitin by eliminating an enzime that is part of , at least, 8 Natural human reactions besidea T to DHT . Ignorant .