Why are people so against finasteride?

sonofvegeta

My Regimen
Reaction score
Transplanted hairs will not miniaturize, atleast not the vast majority of it unless you had a sh*t transplant surgeon that used grafts outside of the donor safe zone area.
this is what i've read based on research...the hairs they take from donor area usually the sides and back are immune to dHT and do not miniaturize hence they are still there, they transplant them to the areas that HAVE minituarized and they continue to grow.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyway, finasteride is poison and most guys will get side effects, only a matter of time. Blocking DHT and other neurosteroids will do more than just stopping hairloss, look for alternatives or keep praying and deluding yourself fina won't affect anything besides your hair like most fina copers.
Have had zero sides. Know other people who take it, they have zero sides. I can jerk off 4 times in a day and still have sex, Idk what to tell you, most don’t get sides

Jpw1999

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could agree with you short term but long term absolutely not. I always said it's almost inevitable most will experience some degree of side effects, only a matter of time. That's the problem, finasteride is a drug many take for years, long term depletion of the most important androgenic male hormone and disruption of multiple neurosteroids will have an effect besides stopping hairloss.

Hell, stopping hairloss IS a side effect. As you know, the drug was developed to fight enlarged prostates.
Have you ever been on finasteride? Also 40% of men are affected by erectile dysfunction by age 40 a lot of those would be non finasteride users.

JohnSmith21

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I could agree with you short term but long term absolutely not. I always said it's almost inevitable most will experience some degree of side effects, only a matter of time. That's the problem, finasteride is a drug many take for years, long term depletion of the most important androgenic male hormone and disruption of multiple neurosteroids will have an effect besides stopping hairloss.

Hell, stopping hairloss IS a side effect. As you know, the drug was developed to fight enlarged prostates.
I have been on it for 3 years and I truly feel like I take a sugar pill (my hair loss stoped). So in 3 years I’ve had no “negative” sides.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Because of misinformation being propagated.

I was under the impression that it could cause sterility, it doesn't, it's a myth. The dermatologist was able to clear it all up.

People have all sorts of garbage ideas that they believe only because it "feels right," and spread them around. Talk to your dermatologist, the expert on hair.

gerard3948

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's ironic that those so opposed to finasteride will have a good chance of being on the drug in the future anyways without saving their hair - 40 percent of men over 50 and 80 percent of men over 70 having Prostate Enlargement (Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia).

debyne

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for 13 years, 1mg for just over 12 years. I'm now on 0.67mg and it seems to be the lowest dose I can take without shedding. 0.5mg caused shedding for me. I had minor brain fog (on occasion) on 1mg but that went away on 0.67 and 0.5. Micro-dosing is definitely worth experimenting with.

Anyway, I don't like taking finasteride because it's a drug and it can't be doing good for my body. However, I've made the decision that losing my hair is a worse outcome. Will finasteride cause me long term damage? Maybe or maybe not. One thing I know for sure is that I'll lose my hair if I don't take it, so I prefer to make a decision on what I know will happen, vs what might happen.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This video by Hairliciously explains reasons why people are against Finasteride.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Why are people against finasteride?"
The short answer is that they've been propagandised. People think they can do their own research when in reality; they really can't, not even slightly. They brainwash themselves, basically.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
"Why are people against finasteride?"
The short answer is that they've been propagandised. People think they can do their own research when in reality; they really can't, not even slightly. They brainwash themselves, basically.

No. This is completely false. If if wasn't for myself and thousands of other people who didn't research we probably wouldn't have known that is was Infact Finasteride which was giving us the side effects it did.

Let's not pretend like Big Pharma can be trusted nor can every study done by it.

Even the manufacturer of Propecia, Merck, has shut down their Propecia website over concerns of Propecia but you think people should just follow the herd blindly like sheep and not be independent thinkers, which is absurd.

"Almost all drugs have some side effects. Yet it is unheard of for the manufacturers of these other drugs to just shut down their site one day. Perhaps with all of the pending and upcoming litigation their legal staff has advised them to minimize communication/information about the product until they can vet all of the language written within the warnings and listed side effects."

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No. This is completely false. If if wasn't for myself and thousands of other people who didn't research we probably wouldn't have known that is was Infact Finasteride which was giving us the side effects it did.

Let's not pretend like Big Pharma can be trusted nor can every study done by it.

Even the manufacturer of Propecia, Merck, has shut down their Propecia website over concerns of Propecia but you think people should just follow the herd blindly like sheep and not be independent thinkers, which is absurd.

"Almost all drugs have some side effects. Yet it is unheard of for the manufacturers of these other drugs to just shut down their site one day. Perhaps with all of the pending and upcoming litigation their legal staff has advised them to minimize communication/information about the product until they can vet all of the language written within the warnings and listed side effects."
People like this person are the problem.

He (or she) genuinely thinks he can do his own research.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
People like this person are the problem.

He (or she) genuinely thinks he can do his own research.

Imagine thinking people can't do their own research LMFAOOOO. Literally not responding to anything further from you after this comment.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Imagine thinking people can't do their own research LMFAOOOO. Literally not responding to anything further from you after this comment.
See, this is exactly the problem.

That he might be wrong isn't even a possibility, in his mind. And to the point where the facts are laughed at.

The reality is that doing research is a skill, and the vast majority are terrible at it.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
See, this is exactly the problem.

That he might be wrong isn't even a possibility, in his mind. And to the point where the facts are laughed at.

The reality is that doing research is a skill, and the vast majority are terrible at it.

You act as if you think people on here are uneducated and incapable of doing something like researching. It's not rocket science.

Some of us are highly educated, smart and critical thinkers who are also independent thinkers. I am an engineer btw, and I don't just blindly follow the crowd like a sheep simply because some studies funded by Big Pharma said something is safe.

Last edited:

infamousrodi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for 13 years, 1mg for just over 12 years. I'm now on 0.67mg and it seems to be the lowest dose I can take without shedding. 0.5mg caused shedding for me. I had minor brain fog (on occasion) on 1mg but that went away on 0.67 and 0.5. Micro-dosing is definitely worth experimenting with.

Anyway, I don't like taking finasteride because it's a drug and it can't be doing good for my body. However, I've made the decision that losing my hair is a worse outcome. Will finasteride cause me long term damage? Maybe or maybe not. One thing I know for sure is that I'll lose my hair if I don't take it, so I prefer to make a decision on what I know will happen, vs what might happen.
How bad was your baseline when you started finasteride? Age? And how aggressive was your loss?

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You act as if you think people on here are uneducated and incapable of doing something like researching. It's not rocket science.

Some of us are highly educated, smart and critical thinkers who are also independent thinkers. I am an engineer btw, and I don't just blindly follow the crowd like a sheep simply because some studies funded by Big Pharma said something is safe.
No... I didn't say people are uneducated... You made that up.

You're not a critical thinker.
A critical thinker wouldn't view research as easy. They would know that sorting fact from fiction is actually pretty difficult, and that they're probably terrible at it.
That's not you. Not even slightly.

That's nice that you got a qualification for something, but that doesn't automatically make you an expert in drugs. If you were a critical thinker you would realise that it doesn't somehow carry over.

You can quite easily see something online, not have a way to differentiate between fact and fiction, and conclude that it's correct when it isn't. Especially when you view it all as "easy."

Aqalp

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I sometimes think part of the reason is that baldness causes so much misery, others afflicted by it will sabotage attempts by someone who wishes to not go bald.

Moro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes I see you're brainwashing yourself well.

The truth is balding men are desperate for a solution for their hairloss and thus they ignore the dangerous reality of finasteride.

Imagine blocking the most potent androgenic hormones for years and deluding yourself it will only affect your hair...Lmfao
It's not dangerous. You've been horribly misled.

I too was worried that it would block testosterone, and actually cause fertility problems. Then I asked by dermatologist about it. It doesn't work that way. It doesn't block testosterone. It basically modifies the testosterone to stop the harmful part of it.

You can believe the nonsense if you wish. I'll stick with a dermatologist with many years experience over the random health site dot coms.

Micky_007

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No... I didn't say people are uneducated... You made that up.

You're not a critical thinker.
A critical thinker wouldn't view research as easy. They would know that sorting fact from fiction is actually pretty difficult, and that they're probably terrible at it.
That's not you. Not even slightly.

That's nice that you got a qualification for something, but that doesn't automatically make you an expert in drugs. If you were a critical thinker you would realise that it doesn't somehow carry over.

You can quite easily see something online, not have a way to differentiate between fact and fiction, and conclude that it's correct when it isn't. Especially when you view it all as "easy."

LOL you have no idea what you're talking about. You sound like a noob to this. If you read this thread you will find lots of information posted by myself and many other people including studies and literature from highly respectable places. Pages and pages of it.

A LOT of people have even testified about their sides on Finasteride, many of which were irreversible and then what are you going to say it's a nocebo effect? Lol.

Also, I am a critical thinker. You said I thought researching was "easy" but nowhere did I use the word "easy" that you quoted. If you were a critical thinker you wouldn't have misquoted me.
So you are not even slightly what can be considered a critical thinker.

I implied that researching is not something that is ridiculously difficult, not that it is easy. Many people on this forum have aptitude levels high enough to research topics on their own.

Also, I don't need to be an expert on drugs, anyone who spends many years learning about a specific topic can be knowledgeable enough.

Do you know how many people can code exceptionally well without a degree in computer science or without any I.T/software related degree?
Your weak argument falls flat on its face when if you knew how many people could code at expert level with no degree. The same concept applies to researching.
An inquisitive mind, perserverance and consistency is enough to master almost anything in life.

You're obviously just unhappy that I don't share the same views as you.

I even mentioned Merck's website for Propecia is shut down and you think that's nothing to be concerned about. LOL.

Last edited: