What Is Looks Matched Anyways (word Count)

resu

Reaction score
The biggest offender is that the drugs that were actually designed to treat hair loss they all failed, only CB is on the right track to commercialization in 2021! f*** that, I'll probably be dead by then.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
The biggest offender is that the drugs that were actually designed to treat hair loss they all failed, only CB is on the right track to commercialization in 2021! f*** that, I'll probably be dead by then.

They failed because our scientific understanding of various factors involved in hair loss is far from complete. Until we do all efforts of discovering meds that can stop hair loss is just shooting in dark and hoping something will hit the target.

Captain Rex

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good call on Eric Bana.

Who's the last one? I don't see the attraction myself.
giphy.gif

didn't see that coming, I thought we all know him.
He is close to a cure for sure- he only needs to solve that epithelium stem cell culturing issue. And it can be easily done by CrispR.

I won't be surprised if they use CrispR to solve that multiplication problem.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
There are a few things you can do to get such a job:

(1) I am not sure what field you work in but it's a good idea to develop skills for which there is a huge demand but not enough supply. Software development is one such a field. There are more jobs than people available here in the US. Consequently, there are many high paying and lucrative opportunities. Employers also treat you a lot better as you are not easily replaceable.

(2) Look for a stable corporation that is renowned for work-life balance. That's the first thing that I look when I apply for a job. You can often get a glimpse of an organizations culture by reading reviews on website such as glassdoor. Be willing to come to a nice compromise with salary. I can probably make substantially more money if I stop caring about work/life balance. Working in a stable organization is very important as job security gives you peace of mind. I avoid industries like oil/gas as they are not very stable. I work in an insurance organization. Non profit , government or academic jobs are usually more relaxed but expect low pay. But you will have peace of mind and job security. My current organization is a nice compromise as it functions like a government agency but with pay scale of private organizations.

(3) If possible, work for a large corporation. Small companies(less than 100 employees) have too much micro management and expect a lot out of you. Avoid working for start ups unless you are just out of college and in need of some experience. Find an organization that has 5000+ employees. I had excellent experience working for an organization that had 5000 employees. My current organization has 65,000. However, the culture of organization is very important as well. So you may find an organization with 5000+ employees but cut throat culture. I worked for an organization that had 1500 employees but very supportive culture.

(4) During the interview, try to get a feel for the company. Does the manager seem nice and easy to get a long with? Does the company culture strive for work life balance?

(5) If you are a software engineer, avoid working for software companies unless you feel like the culture is nice. Otherwise you may end up being surrounded by extreme nerds who love programming so much that they stay up till 2 am in the night reading tech blogs and developing software for fun. You don't want to be surrounded by such people as you will be judged according to their performance.

Excellent tips PJ! I wish I had known such tips back when I was in college.

Work life balance is extremely important for me. I don't need oodles of cash, I want time.
How do you go about finding such companies?

What kind of software development skills would a company like yours be looking for?

Last edited:

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score

Work life balance is extremely important for me. I don't need oodles of cash, I want time.
How do you go about finding such companies?

They are very easy to find, especially for software engineers. Just look at the company culture in general for your specific job role. Employees often describes their experiences on glassdoor. For example, here are some reviews for software engineer role at Blue Cross Blue Shield, a medical insurance company. Try to read a few reviews to get a general idea about the work culture.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/B...tus=PART_TIME&filter.employmentStatus=REGULAR

You can get a feel of team and your manager during the interview as well. Also, try to find positions that don't make customer facing apps. For example, my position only requires me to make apps that are used internally in my organization. Since I make app for my co-workers, the end users are a lot less demanding and relaxed. Also, I don't make mission critical apps so if something goes wrong, I am not immediately required to fix it. Comes in handy if something goes wrong on Thursday(my Friday). It's also the reason I have never been asked to work over time.

What kind of software development skills would a company like yours be looking for? I have done some programming (but not a lot). I do have some breadth (I'm reasonably good at algorithms/DS, know basics of functional programming)

Basically web development using either C#/.net or Java in addition to client side scripting using Javascript, jQuery or Angular. Also SQL. If you are somewhat competent with these technologies, you should be able to get your foot in the door. And after a few years of experience, you can easily get a senior level job. There are a lot of jobs for mobile app developers as well if you find it interesting.

@CaptainForehead feel free to PM me if you have any question.

CaptainForehead

Reaction score
They are very easy to find, especially for software engineers. Just look at the company culture in general for your specific job role. Employees often describes their experiences on glassdoor. For example, here are some reviews for software engineer role at Blue Cross Blue Shield, a medical insurance company. Try to read a few reviews to get a general idea about the work culture.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/B...tus=PART_TIME&filter.employmentStatus=REGULAR

You can get a feel of team and your manager during the interview as well. Also, try to find positions that don't make customer facing apps. For example, my position only requires me to make apps that are used internally in my organization. Since I make app for my co-workers, the end users are a lot less demanding and relaxed. Also, I don't make mission critical apps so if something goes wrong, I am not immediately required to fix it. Comes in handy if something goes wrong on Thursday(my Friday). It's also the reason I have never been asked to work over time.

Basically web development using either C#/.net or Java in addition to client side scripting using Javascript, jQuery or Angular. Also SQL. If you are somewhat competent with these technologies, you should be able to get your foot in the door. And after a few years of experience, you can easily get a senior level job. There are a lot of jobs for mobile app developers as well if you find it interesting.

@CaptainForehead feel free to PM me if you have any question.

Thanks again!
I don't have any web development skills, and am completely unfamiliar with the technologies you mentioned, but I can learn. I will hit you up with more questions if I have them.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks again!
I don't have any web development skills, and am completely unfamiliar with the technologies you mentioned, but I can learn. I will hit you up with more questions if I have them.

No problem. As long as you know them somewhat, you should be able to get some kind of entry level job. My suggestion is to read books or do online tutorials and actually start programming in your spare time. Once you do a couple of projects, you will learn enough to get a job.

pjhair

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you suggesting that environment might effect hair?

I moved to Oklahoma City in January and since then my recession has picked up. My hair is also oilier than usual and sex drive has gone up substantially. But everything I know tells me that environment can't cause it. But we don't know everything so who knows. I have lived in this city before and didn't encounter these symptoms though.

Last edited: