What Exactly Do We Know About The Dutasteride Hairline Killing Phenomenon

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey all. I imagine if any of you have browsed hair loss forums for at least a couple of months you will have heard about the paradoxical hairline shedding that never seems to regrow on dutasteride. The theory is that some individuals have a higher than normal androgen receptor sensitivity to testosterone, so when they block all that DHT they get a huge surge of unconverted testosterone which ultimately ends up ruining their hair. There has to me more to this. As someone who experienced the same thing but on finasteride, I tried a few different things to help 'reverse' this effect.. One thing I decided to try was Cyproterone Acetate. For those who don't know its a powerful anti androgen which blocks and prevents the production of testosterone in the testes. I figured that my androgen receptors must be extra sensitive to testosterone which is why I experienced an acceleration of my male pattern baldness.. So far I have been on Cyproterone for about 100 days now and so far I can't say it has helped at all. What I mean is that my hair is still shedding and thinning fast.. The silver lining is that I don't believe it caused me to bald even faster since anti androgens only lower/block all androgens.
The point I'm trying to put across is that I now have lower DHT and Testosterone than I did before I began any treatments but somehow I am balding faster than I was before. I don't buy into the androgen receptor upregulation theory, how could your body want you bald? Hair acts as a protection from the sun, keeps you warmer in cold weather, etc. Its literally something which helps you survive!
Now I ask you all, does anyone have any theories or facts I'm unaware of about this phenomenon? I've read of and seen people even on here experience this and some even conquering it to achieve a nice full head of hair. Surely someone on here can help make sense of this nonsense?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Hey all. I imagine if any of you have browsed hair loss forums for at least a couple of months you will have heard about the paradoxical hairline shedding that never seems to regrow on dutasteride. The theory is that some individuals have a higher than normal androgen receptor sensitivity to testosterone, so when they block all that DHT they get a huge surge of unconverted testosterone which ultimately ends up ruining their hair. There has to me more to this. As someone who experienced the same thing but on finasteride, I tried a few different things to help 'reverse' this effect.. One thing I decided to try was Cyproterone Acetate. For those who don't know its a powerful anti androgen which blocks and prevents the production of testosterone in the testes. I figured that my androgen receptors must be extra sensitive to testosterone which is why I experienced an acceleration of my male pattern baldness.. So far I have been on Cyproterone for about 100 days now and so far I can't say it has helped at all. What I mean is that my hair is still shedding and thinning fast.. The silver lining is that I don't believe it caused me to bald even faster since anti androgens only lower/block all androgens.
The point I'm trying to put across is that I now have lower DHT and Testosterone than I did before I began any treatments but somehow I am balding faster than I was before. I don't buy into the androgen receptor upregulation theory, how could your body want you bald? Hair acts a protection from the sun, keeps you warmer in cold weather, etc. Its literally something which helps you survive!
Now I ask you all, does anyone have any theories or facts I'm unaware of about this phenomenon? I've read of and seen people even on here experience this and some even conquering it to achieve a nice full head of hair. Surely someone on here can help make sense of this nonsense?
This obviously depends on individual cases. Ashton Kutcher obviously did not experience this. We have seen his hair recently and it's held up very well including his hairline. @oni2 has been on it long term and seems to be doing fine too. Alot of people quit dutasteride less than a year because of sides or excessive shedding so you really don't know if they would have recovered if they stayed on it for at least a few years. I really think you should give it a try since you are obsessed about recovering or at least maintaining what you have which I totally understand since you have great hair now to hold on to and you are young. Are you asian or part asian?

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
This obviously depends on individual cases. Ashton Kutcher obviously did not experience this. We have seen his hair recently and it's help up very well including his hairline. @oni2 has been on it long term and seems to be doing fine too. Alot of people quit dutasteride less than a year because of sides or excessive shedding so you really don't know if they would have recovered if they stayed on it for at least a few years. I really think you should give it a try since you are obsessed about recovering or at least maintaining what you have which I totally understand since you have great hair now to hold on to and you are young. Are you asian or part asian?
Ashton seems to be an anomaly. He was nearly NW3 in his mid 20s and now at 40 with many months passed after dropping dutasteride he is NW2 at worst. That's true that many people don't stick it out, or if they do a lot of them don't come back to tell us what happened. I am VERY tempted at this point to try dutasteride! Mostly because I am under the impression that the Cyproterone should 'save' me from the massive surge of T that I would otherwise experience.. I'm just scared of what else the drug could do that may further harm my follicles. Regrowth would be fantastic but I'm trying to be realistic so Maintenance is my ultimate goal. Dermmatch makes me look like I have more hair than I do anyway. I am not Asain. 100% European descended. Although I do wish I was part Asian as they all seem to respond to treatments to some degree lol.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry man I have no idea about this argument but I have a question for you, if you don't mind answering

Since you say that finasteride destroyed your hair, what would you recommend for someone that is about to take their first pill? Should they stop with finasteride if the hair gets worse initially? Or keep up with it..?
Thanks

Jesse Navarro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
And if this surge is bad for your hair, the hair wouldnt shed, but slowly thin, considering that testosterone is much weaker than DHT

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry man I have no idea about this argument but I have a question for you, if you don't mind answering

Since you say that finasteride destroyed your hair, what would you recommend for someone that is about to take their first pill? Should they stop with finasteride if the hair gets worse initially? Or keep up with it..?
Thanks
I wouldn't say it destroyed my hair, that's a bit dramatic lol. It definitely accelerated my recession and ate up my temples pretty quick though. I had great pics showing the difference in only 3 months but unfortunately those are long lost along with my phone. I would recommend just to jump straight in, and always be consistent with your pills.. Don't skip days and try take it about the same time every night, before bed is the best as this is apparently when DHT is at its peak. I definitely wouldn't stop if you see initial worsening as this happens to many people on finasteride, just take a glance on these forums lol. Its important you give the treatment at least one year before you make any conclusions. For some they regrow instantly, for others they continue to lose for a while then gradually it slows down and sometimes stops. One thing is for sure, you'll end up bald without it eventually so why not use it?
Is it really a massive surge of testosterone?
Yeah. In some people their testosterone can raise by more than 100%!
From my experience using finasteride I actually lost less hair but my hair began thinning, thick strands would turn literally transparent because they got so thin. DHT does take a while to kill hair yes but some people are probably more sensitive to testosterone than DHT. I know its not as simple as that because with little testosterone and DHT in my body I'm still losing hair fast, not slower like I hoped. How is your situation now Jesse, any good news?

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if its possible to delay the baldness for as long as possible and finasteride accelerates it, I don't see why someone should stick with finasterie if its makes the hair worse..

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well if its possible to delay the baldness for as long as possible and finasteride accelerates it, I don't see why someone should stick with finasterie if its makes the hair worse..
You do make a valid point but you won't know for sure if it is actually making your hair worse until you give it at least a year. Don't let my experience discourage you as it is fairly rare. I'm sure I'll figure this crap out eventually and hopefully I can at least maintain.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
You do make a valid point but you won't know for sure if it is actually making your hair worse until you give it at least a year. Don't let my experience discourage you as it is fairly rare. I'm sure I'll figure this crap out eventually and hopefully I can at least maintain.

Alright man I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes I just get scared as hell when I read that people have sheds that never recover... I'll take the pill and try to forget about it.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright man I wish you the best of luck. Sometimes I just get scared as hell when I read that people have sheds that never recover... I'll take the pill and try to forget about it.
Good choice bro. You got an 8.3/10 chance of at least maintaining, and given how well you responded to minoxidil ( and not many people do ) I think you will probably at the very least keep what you got.

Alphalete

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good choice bro. You got an 8.3/10 chance of at least maintaining, and given how well you responded to minoxidil ( and not many people do ) I think you will probably at the very least keep what you got.

Thanks man. I might make an update thread if someone shows interest

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks man. I might make an update thread if someone shows interest
You definitely should, I would be very interested to see how it works for you :)

zebus

My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, I think a lot of people get on duta when their hairline thinning is hitting critical. The remaining hairs could likely already be predestined to fallout at that point, therefore they get on duta > remaining unavoidable hairloss happens > they claim it destoyed their hair line.

Wisemiller

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would also like to know more about this. I have lost (or appears to have lost) more hair on 6 months of finasteride than I have before I started taking it, and I'm 33. I don't want improvement anymore, I just want to get back the hair I had when I took my first pill.

thetdog666

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thanks
About to take? Im sure you have said on other posts youv just started!!

Audi

Reaction score
Ashton seems to be an anomaly. He was nearly NW3 in his mid 20s and now at 40 with many months passed after dropping dutasteride he is NW2 at worst. That's true that many people don't stick it out, or if they do a lot of them don't come back to tell us what happened. I am VERY tempted at this point to try dutasteride! Mostly because I am under the impression that the Cyproterone should 'save' me from the massive surge of T that I would otherwise experience.. I'm just scared of what else the drug could do that may further harm my follicles. Regrowth would be fantastic but I'm trying to be realistic so Maintenance is my ultimate goal. Dermmatch makes me look like I have more hair than I do anyway. I am not Asain. 100% European descended. Although I do wish I was part Asian as they all seem to respond to treatments to some degree lol.

Not sure what's the answer you are looking for? You've already decided that dutasteride ruins your hairline and the people who have taken it long-term are just an anomaly. My only advice is that if hairloss medication works the first go-round do not quit, Finasteride was great for me, then after a two year lay-of and starting again it has been sh*t. Good luck, my friend.

oni2

My Regimen
Reaction score

I have maintained my hair line for the last 14 years on dutasteride and minoxidil..........it does work for some very well but please don't think it's going to work in 3 months, it's going to get worse before it gets better. I don't want to see another little b**ch thread about evil dutasteride killed my hairline .......