Was Cured For 2 Years (spironolactone + dutasteride), But Now Looking For A New Cure

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yo I’m in the same boat as you quineapig. Basically the same story the same regimen the same aggressive Hair loss experience same body type and same side effects or lack of side effects. Except I was lucky to have spironolactone work for 4 years. There are times just about every 3 months where I felt testosterone taking over and HairLoss increasing but it goes away for a while and cycle repeats. Recently my temples have been shot to sh*t and hair isn’t how it was a year ago. Though Right now My HairLoss isn’t as aggressive as it was when I was 22 but who knows maybe soon it will be. I’m thinking about adding estradiol to my regimen but realize that most likely that will stop working over time as well if it does help me at all. Or start shaving my head again tossing everything and let nature do its thing cause fighting this sh*t seems to be no end, and cutting my junk off is not going to happen.

waiiit waiiit waiiiit - I've read about you. You had an incredible recovery. I started spironolactone a few months ago and I have those cycles too! My skin gets drier (which is amazing), sex drive is OK, I don't have significant gyno (but something) and then boom we get oily and break out again. This doesn't make any sense since we dose the same way and spironolactone operates as a receptor blocker. It actually marginally increased my T as opposed to dropping it. In fact, I'm told that this is but the onset of the medication (it's been 7 months - and by 8 it should even out).
I'm upset to hear that this drug doesn't even work consistently over time.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
waiiit waiiit waiiiit - I've read about you. You had an incredible recovery. I started spironolactone a few months ago and I have those cycles too! My skin gets drier (which is amazing), sex drive is OK, I don't have significant gyno (but something) and then boom we get oily and break out again. This doesn't make any sense since we dose the same way and spironolactone operates as a receptor blocker. It actually marginally increased my T as opposed to dropping it. In fact, I'm told that this is but the onset of the medication (it's been 7 months - and by 8 it should even out).
I'm upset to hear that this drug doesn't even work consistently over time.

Hey KSA. As far as oily skin and acne and all that goes spironolactone has cleared it all up no problems there except a pimple every so often but not a big deal they don’t last long. I wouldn’t be deterred or stop taking the medication if I were you. I am happy I do take it and had decided to go on it. My hair is still growing it could be just me but I noticed my temples have receded a bit and seems like my density is less than what it had been for a while. But you probably wouldn’t notice it in pics. I’ve noticed that my body hair is coming in a bit however the hair I used to have on my back is still gone and I’m using that as a sign that spironolactone is still working for me. I really don’t know what to think right now as far as me going completely bald but we shall see. I’m not going to quit my regimen But will, only if and when I go completely bald. Everybody is different but there are articles on how overtime receptors for hormones or whatever on cells can increase if they are being inhibited somehow which is the bodies way of coping and going back to “normal”.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey KSA. As far as oily skin and acne and all that goes spironolactone has cleared it all up no problems there except a pimple every so often but not a big deal they don’t last long. I wouldn’t be deterred or stop taking the medication if I were you. I am happy I do take it and had decided to go on it. My hair is still growing it could be just me but I noticed my temples have receded a bit and seems like my density is less than what it had been for a while. But you probably wouldn’t notice it in pics. I’ve noticed that my body hair is coming in a bit however the hair I used to have on my back is still gone and I’m using that as a sign that spironolactone is still working for me. I really don’t know what to think right now as far as me going completely bald but we shall see. I’m not going to quit my regimen But will, only if and when I go completely bald. Everybody is different but there are articles on how overtime receptors for hormones or whatever on cells can increase if they are being inhibited somehow which is the bodies way of coping and going back to “normal”.

Thank you for sharing! I'll keep going - I appreciate the encouragement : )

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem dude. Good luck. Btw out of curiosity how is your hair doing? Any improvements?
too soon to say. I was on a different anti-androgen for years (Flutamide) which was honestly a miracle and I took it for years. Unfortunately, being non-steroidal it caused my t to climb out of control (necessitating higher and higher doses) so my doctors switched me to spironolactone because it's milder and had better endurance. (Mind you these same twits never put me on finasteride to see whether or not it works). Now I'm on the combo of spironolactone and finasteride and giving them time. the withdrawal from Flutamide was a nightmare and I'm happier to be further away from it. Unlike Flutamide which is quite fast and potent I hear Spironolactone requires patience.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
too soon to say. I was on a different anti-androgen for years (Flutamide) which was honestly a miracle and I took it for years. Unfortunately, being non-steroidal it caused my t to climb out of control (necessitating higher and higher doses) so my doctors switched me to spironolactone because it's milder and had better endurance. (Mind you these same twits never put me on finasteride to see whether or not it works). Now I'm on the combo of spironolactone and finasteride and giving them time. the withdrawal from Flutamide was a nightmare and I'm happier to be further away from it. Unlike Flutamide which is quite fast and potent I hear Spironolactone requires patience.

Are you saying that flutamide stopped working for you? If that’s the case it kinda proves that these meds do stop working overtime as far as hair concerns and anti androgens.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you saying that flutamide stopped working for you? If that’s the case it kinda proves that these meds do stop working overtime as far as hair concerns and anti androgens.
It was working quite well, but my testosterone kept climbing up though which messed up my blood pressure and also sex drive was through the roof. I'm sure eventually it would overpower Flutamide but we never reached there during the 6 years I took it so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.
My hair wasn't really negatively affected on Flutamide at all at the double dose that I used to take.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It was working quite well, but my testosterone kept climbing up though which messed up my blood pressure and also sex drive was through the roof. I'm sure eventually it would overpower Flutamide but we never reached there during the 6 years I took it so I wouldn't worry too much just yet.
My hair wasn't really negatively affected on Flutamide at all at the double dose that I used to take.

Gotcha. I’m still under the impression that the more time that goes by on these meds the more likely they are to start failing or reduce efficacy. We shall see.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Gotcha. I’m still under the impression that the more time that goes by on these meds the more likely they are to start failing or reduce efficacy. We shall see.
I'm certain there is truth to that, but regardless, your hair looks incredible and you did make an insane recovery.
Remember, you don't even use minoxidil, PRP, needling or another "stimulating" treatment so it truly is an accomplishment : ) [whether they truly work or not is another discussion]. Remember, ARs can also down-regulate just like they can up-regulate (see anabolic steroids and testicle size). I will be sure to tell you how spironolactone pans out for me over the coming weeks/months.

Last edited:

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm certain there is truth to that, but regardless, your hair looks incredible and you did make an insane recovery.
Remember, you don't even use minoxidil, PRP, needling or another "stimulating" treatment so it truly is an accomplishment : ) [whether they truly work or not is another discussion]. Remember, ARs can also down-regulate just like they can up-regulate (see anabolic steroids and testicle size). I will be sure to tell you how spironolactone pans out for me over the coming weeks/months.

Thank you KSA. I really appreciate that. You are right about the upregulating and downregulating. It does happen. I think the amount of research we all have done in regards to solving HairLoss could make us doctors. Lol. Definitely keep me informed on your progress. Please. Good luck with it. Wish ya the best.

Reactions: KSA

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone also causes gyno. You got gyno, stopped, started again and had no gyno again? Gyno is from lack of dht and their antiestrogenic actions in the tits, it isn’t the estradiol anyways or well it isn’t THAT alone causing gyno. You can have LESS e2 than before you started the meds and STILL get gyno.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone also causes gyno. You got gyno, stopped, started again and had no gyno again? Gyno is from lack of dht and their antiestrogenic actions in the tits, it isn’t the estradiol anyways or well it isn’t THAT alone causing gyno. You can have LESS e2 than before you started the meds and STILL get gyno.
Yes i have one itty bitty cycloptic nippy. But you can’t really tell. Unlike on Flutamide, where you can easily grow unattactive a cups and evenly so raloxifene or tamoxifen usually mitigate it

Heinrich Harrer

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes i have one itty bitty cycloptic nippy. But you can’t really tell. Unlike on Flutamide, where you can easily grow unattactive a cups and evenly so raloxifene or tamoxifen usually mitigate it

You can always remove the gland and be done with it.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can always remove the gland and be done with it.
That too but I’m still measuring all parameters until I get consistent results with spironolactone. I had an enormous telogen effluvium quilting Flutamide and I quit very irresponsibly on advise from an unwitting doctor. whatever regrowth I’ve had since I’m still certain is just good old minoxidil since it’s too soon for finasteride to do anything and spironolactone has not been consistent for my skin. My right nipple and sex drive however feel differently lol

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dermatologist said that I will most likely experience sensitive nipples, rather than gynaecomastia, which is still possible.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start with 200 mg.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My dermatologist said that I will most likely experience sensitive nipples, rather than gynaecomastia, which is still possible.

Tomorrow I'm gonna start with 200 mg.
Your doctor is right. spironolactone is not the strongest AA. It should be just enough for acne and hair loss but if not there are other AA’s, treatments etc. Remember to keep your chin up as all these treatments take time and you will eventually get there. Remember, hair can always be regrown on the right medication for your body : )

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Your doctor is right. spironolactone is not the strongest AA. It should be just enough for acne and hair loss but if not there are other AA’s, treatments etc. Remember to keep your chin up as all these treatments take time and you will eventually get there. Remember, hair can always be regrown on the right medication for your body : )
Indeed. Patience is very important. At least it will give us a peace of mind, until results pop up. ;)

Btw, do you have any advice regarding food? My dermatologist told me to drink enough, but is there any healthy food to suggest?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Indeed. Patience is very important. At least it will give us a peace of mind, until results pop up. ;)

Btw, do you have any advice regarding food? My dermatologist told me to drink enough, but is there any healthy food to suggest?
Definitely keep hydrated. I have monthly blood tests because my doctors originally believed I had a different problem. My potassium levels are just right and I eat a vegetable and fruit heavy diet. So I would check in to be safe. spironolactone has completely depleted my sodium and chloride levels (salt) so be sure to keep up with this.

AmericanHairlines90

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Hey InvaderZim while on spironolactone your dermatologist was right make sure you stay hydrated. You may start to urinate a lot. Don’t eat too many high potassium foods because the medication makes the body hold onto potassium which could cause serious problems if you have too much of it. I don’t personally eat bananas all the time but I will have one here and there if i want. Just stay balanced with your diet make sure you eat proteins, and that you’re getting enough iron and all those good hair healthy vitamins and minerals.