Was Cured For 2 Years (spironolactone + dutasteride), But Now Looking For A New Cure

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definitely keep hydrated. I have monthly blood tests because my doctors originally believed I had a different problem. My potassium levels are just right and I eat a vegetable and fruit heavy diet. So I would check in to be safe. spironolactone has completely depleted my sodium and chloride levels (salt) so be sure to keep up with this.
Hey InvaderZim while on spironolactone your dermatologist was right make sure you stay hydrated. You may start to urinate a lot. Don’t eat too many high potassium foods because the medication makes the body hold onto potassium which could cause serious problems if you have too much of it. I don’t personally eat bananas all the time but I will have one here and there if i want. Just stay balanced with your diet make sure you eat proteins, and that you’re getting enough iron and all those good hair healthy vitamins and minerals.
Thanks guy for the motivation!

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey, guys :D sry, I've been away for a while.
Thanks for all the comments and thanks to KSA and Americanhairlines90 for replying to questions asked in here.

I've been bit lazy with my regimen for a while. Been skipping pills here and there and had breaks from them. Tried to enjoy summer and other things in life, you see :).
I've started to get some acne on my forehead but not on my cheeks like I used to before. Weird. Maybe my androgen receptors on forehead and scalp are getting more sensitive, while cheeks are staying the same?
Im still losing ground slowly but not as agressive as before. Pretty much the same situation as half year ago.
Im trying to be more faithful for my regimen now on and see if things get better. I changed my regimen to 250mg spironolactone ED and 1mg dutasteride ED.

I dont think hairloss that much anymore because my loss is so slow and my friends that had full heads before, have less hair than me now :D they don't even know im balding. I'd say that spironolactone has been worth it for me because it has maintained my hair for many years now. At this pace I have like 1-3 years before hairloss starts to get noticeable.

Tips for all guys who want to try Spironolactone (at your own risk tho):
-It works best with Dutasteride, but consider adding Minoxidil and ketonazole shampoo too
-start with low dosages and up the dosages slowly.
-If you get gyno, have a break for a while and it should go away. Consider trying it again.
-Stay hydrated and avoid foods with high potassium. Add more salt if you need to.
-Have bloodtest done monthly.
-Live healthy life.
-Don't drink much alcohol! (couple glasses of wine is fine, but heavy drinking leads to gyno)

I go to gym and run alot, so spironolactone hasn't stopped me from living normal life at all. I feel more healthier and normal with spironolactone than without it, lol. Mentally and physically.

If you have questions feel free to ask. I try to stay more active on here :)

Last edited:

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
spironolactone also causes gyno. You got gyno, stopped, started again and had no gyno again? Gyno is from lack of dht and their antiestrogenic actions in the tits, it isn’t the estradiol anyways or well it isn’t THAT alone causing gyno. You can have LESS e2 than before you started the meds and STILL get gyno.

Yes, whenever I get gyno I just have a break for a while and it goes away. Have done it many times now. I was shirtless this summer.

mryellowman

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im considering using bicalutamide 50mg or 25mg ED , I don't have enough data since only a few people trying it. So what are your thoughts about bica guys?

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and thanks to KSA and Americanhairlines for replying to questions asked in here.

I've been bit lazy with my regimen for a while. Been skipping pills here and there and had breaks from them. Tried to enjoy summer and other things in life, you see :).
I've started to get some acne on my forehead but not on my cheeks like I used to before. Weird. Maybe my androgen receptors on forehead and scalp are getting more sensitive, while cheeks are staying the same?
Im still losing ground slowly but not as agressive as before. Pretty much the same situation as half year ago.
Im trying to be more faithful for my regimen now on and see if things get better. I changed my regimen to 250mg spironolactone ED and 1mg dutasteride ED.

I dont think hairloss that much anymore because my loss is so slow and my friends that had full heads before, have less hair than me now :D they don't even know im balding. I'd say that spironolactone has been worth it for me because it has maintained my hair for many years now. At this pace I have like 1-3 years before hairloss starts to get noticeable.

Tips for all guys who want to try it (at your own risk tho):
start with low dosages and up the dosages slowly.
If you get little gyno, have a break for a while and it should go away. Consider trying it again.
Stay hydrated and avoid foods with high potassium. Add more salt if you need to.
Have bloodtest done monthly.
Live healthy life.

I go to gym and run alot, so spironolactone hasn't stopped me from living normal life at all. I feel more healthier and normal with spironolactone than without it, lol. Mentally and physically.

Did you change your regime, because 200 mg spironolactone and 0.5 mg dutas were not effective anymore?

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Im considering using bicalutamide 50mg or 25mg ED , I don't have enough data since only a few people trying it. So what are your thoughts about bica guys?
I've read that Bicalutamide is more specific antiandrogen. It affects mostly prostate gland so I guess it could have less effect on hair. It also has bigger risk of side effects (bad for kidneys) than Spironolactone. Most success stories have used spironolactone or Cypro so I don't know much about Bica.

Did you change your regime, because 200 mg spironolactone and 0.5 mg dutas were not effective anymore?
Yeah, it lost some effect but most guys here would be okay with that kind of maintaining. I just want more :) MORE REGROWTH!

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've read that Bicalutamide is more specific antiandrogen. It affects mostly prostate gland so I guess it could have less effect on hair. It also has bigger risk of side effects (bad for kidneys) than Spironolactone. Most success stories have used spironolactone or Cypro so I don't know much about Bica.

Yeah, it lost some effect but most guys here would be okay with that kind of maintaining. I just want more :) MORE REGROWTH!
We all want, my friend. :)

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us and answering our questions. You and few other (former) oral spironolactone users inspired me.

Kornel

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and thanks to KSA and Americanhairlines for replying to questions asked in here.

Tips for all guys who want to try it (at your own risk tho):
start with low dosages and up the dosages slowly.
If you get little gyno, have a break for a while and it should go away. Consider trying it again.
Stay hydrated and avoid foods with high potassium. Add more salt if you need to.
Have bloodtest done monthly.
Live healthy life.

Hi, what dose of spironolactone would you recommend to start with? How long have you been taking spironolactone and what results did you get?

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, what dose of spironolactone would you recommend to start with? How long have you been taking spironolactone and what results did you get?
25mg or 50mg. I started with 50mg I think, and I've been takin spironolactone since 2015.
Check front page of the thread for pics. I pretty much regrew 90% and considered myself cured.

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, whenever I get gyno I just have a break for a while and it goes away. Have done it many times now. I was shirtless this summer.
What kind of gyno you got? Mild gyno? Was it noticeable? How long to take a break? And if I start with my regimen, do I have to take food or water with it?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to be more informed. :)

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
What kind of gyno you got? Mild gyno? Was it noticeable? How long to take a break? And if I start with my regimen, do I have to take food or water with it?

Sorry for so many questions. I just want to be more informed. :)
No problem, lol.
Mild gyno. Felt like little disk in my nipple, size of a split peanut.
Yes, it was noticeable as it made my nipples little pointy and puffy.
I take break for 3-5 weeks depends how fast it goes away.
Yes you should take dutasteride and spironolactone with food. You should take alot of water with dutasteride because if the capsule dissolves in your throat, it might burn a bit (acidic or something).

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem, lol.
Mild gyno. Felt like little disk in my nipple, size of a split peanut.
Yes, it was noticeable as it made my nipples little pointy and puffy.
I take break for 3-5 weeks depends how fast it goes away.
Yes you should take dutasteride and spironolactone with food. You should take alot of water with dutasteride because if the capsule dissolves in your throat, it might burn a bit (acidic or something).
Thanks!

The idea of taking a break sounds plausible, if you get gynecomastia, but I'm afraid that I will lose more hair again.

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks!

The idea of taking a break sounds plausible, if you get gynecomastia, but I'm afraid that I will lose more hair again.
You might lose some while taking a break, because of rapid hormonal changes. It grew back to me atleast and in time my hair got thicker.
Just monitor your body and don't freakout. You learn in time how your body reacts to the drug and what is best way to use it.

You could try to exercise alot and eat healthy to avoid side effects.
Most important part: DON'T DRINK MUCH ALCOHOL! drinking 1-2 glasses of wine or something with the family is fine, but everytime I went out with the bois.... gyno. Alcohol has estrogenic effects in the body you see.

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's pic from couple weeks ago for those interested. Left temple took some hit while on break. Red dots mark my natural hairline. I still have some babyhairs and normal hairs on that area but they thinned up a bit. Im quite positive im gonna regrow some back while on drugs again.
pic1.jpg

These are from summer when I had longer hair and had not shed that much yet.
pic2.2.jpgpic3.2.jpg

Comparing them to my hair before spironolactone and dutasteride.... It's just ridiculous. >_>
Before.PNG

Last edited:

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I used minoxidil foam before summer but I quit it when im on break. I think it makes my hair shed faster. I will start it again soon.
It does that - restart hair follicles at first and then it usually does work.

InvaderZim

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here's pic from couple weeks ago for those interested. Left temple took some hit while on break. Red dots mark my natural hairline. I still have some babyhairs and normal hairs on that area but they thinned up a bit. Im quite positive im gonna regrow some back while on drugs again.
View attachment 97978

These are from summer when I had longer hair and had not shed that much yet.
View attachment 97985View attachment 97986

Comparing them to my hair before spironolactone and dutasteride.... It's just ridiculous. >_>
View attachment 97980
Still nice hair.

Do you think you will still gain hair if you drop dutas?

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi boys, wanted to chime in here with some notes from my last visit to my endocrinologist.
On my last lab - my testosterone went up again to just a bit over max (total and free) - this is obviously a result of the blocking effect of Spironolactone. For me, however, this blockage was never significant enough to completely dry out my skin in the way that Flutamide did for years before. This came to me as a surprise, but not a surprise at all for my endocrinologist who said Spironolactone actually elevates testosterone levels in blood as its steroid-genesis inhibiting effect is rather poor. He advised that I drop to 100mg wherein the drug should still considerably block receptors (I'm 5'7 and 130 lbs) but it won't meddle with the feedback mechanism as much. Idk he's really not a fan of Spironolactone above 50mgs. My serum DHT is below menopausal-female ranges, but I'm assuming scalp DHT must be higher.
I've been shedding again in a way that I have not since I was on oral minoxidil in May + June. I know finasteride can cause a shed well into months 7-10 but who's to say? Sometimes I have the scalp itch and sometimes I do not.
I have no idea what to expect ahead and may reconsider Flutamide or consider Cyproterone-Acetate although I'm praying finasteride just picks up where that left off.
Negatives of Flutamide include increased libido, increased androgens, relatively intense gyno, and occasionally miserable hot flashes.