Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
I dropped topical Minoxidil for Zix , my crowns always been near perfect however over the last 4 months noticeable thinning - jumping back on minoxidil for my crown , will use Zix for my hairline still. Still microneedling once a week

I've been on 10mg oral minoxidil for 10 months - my anecdotal analysis is that topical minoxidil is required with needling - oral won't enhance needling

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1. If you check metanalysis of minoxidil studies only 40% of participants regrow hair (SULT1A main theory). If we consider microneedling a "boost" of WNT upregulation that minoxidil already does, it is to be expected some people still don't respond. Also all studies on microneedling as monotherapy have shown almost no results, so its clear minoxidil is required for the "magic". Id say it turns an hyper-responder into giga-responder. A normal responder into a great responder, and so on.

2. I haven't got hyperpigmentation despite having it in other parts of my body. Excessive scarring could cause hyperpigmentation so make sure u arent going too ham. Funnily enough microneedling is being used and studied to treat hyperpigmentation of the face skin like melasma on upper lips with great results.. lol.

And if by hyperpigmentation you mean expanding moles or dark spots you should visit your derm asap for a checkup. It could be skin melanoma (cancer) and needling over that and generating growth factors is definetely a terrible idea.
Excellent post.It irons out many arguments and speculations of the last dozens of pages of this thread.

Last edited:

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
36yo and thinning since 20yo, pretty sick, my daily dose of hopium for someone with similar hair loss (DUPA)

Another 1.5x Dermaroller 1x/week guy

mooreu

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Frankly I had better results with a regular dermaroller (1.5mm not 1 mm) than with a D2 or M8. The best protocol for me was rolling very hard every 3 weeks a la the crazy Greek guy.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe M8 top speed is too much (I think its faster than Follica device). I can imagine a needle that enters and leaves skin way too fast causes a way more different trauma that one that enters and leaves slower.

JWM2

Established Member
Reaction score
Frankly I had better results with a regular dermaroller (1.5mm not 1 mm) than with a D2 or M8. The best protocol for me was rolling very hard every 3 weeks a la the crazy Greek guy.
Same here. I had the Dermapen and felt it did more harm than good. A regular old hand-roller worked best for me, either 1 x a week, or every night, lightly, before applying minoxidil.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe M8 top speed is too much (I think its faster than Follica device). I can imagine a needle that enters and leaves skin way too fast causes a way more different trauma that one that enters and leaves slower.
I don't think the speed is the problem. Follica's device is capable of delivering 1600 needle strikes/cm² in just 5 minutes.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
One benefit of dermaroller for whole scalp regimen is that the adherence to treatment is really good, you can't really miss and its faster. I'm not always in the mood for a fuckin micropen 30-min session over whole scalp, and sometimes its easy to miss proper coverage doing it yourself.

When I tried dermarolling it healed wayy slower and was much more painful though, not for me. Its clear the angle of the wounds are not optimal but the fact that you can do good coverage with much less effort might be worth it for some people who need to do literally full head

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't think the speed is the problem. Follica's device is capable of delivering 1600 needle strikes/cm² in just 5 minutes.
I wonder when will some company replicate the patent or higher quality devices become consumer products. These pens are trash imo. My gf booked in-clinic needling treatment at a expensive place for face to try it out and they literally were using a f*****g Dr Pen lol

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people who do needling with electric pen do 5mins or 10mins max though.

The tearing of a dermaroller isn't good either, especially if you use it almost every week.
Yeah have fun trying to bleed your whole head because you have DUPA in 5mins with a lil pen :confused:

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
I'm not too bothered about setting aside half an hour a week or whatever if it actually works. The satisfaction of foiling DHT's attempts to make me look like a twat would be immense.

Derek Clapton

Reaction score
Damn you're an OG I see.

How are you holding up all those years?
I hadn't even realised tbh. 2005, damn.

Long story short used fina and duta to begin with and they worked. Got subtle, insidious side effects though and stopped after about 5 years.

Have since flip-flopped between all the usual topical stuff while gradually losing the battle.

These dermaroller stories give some hopium though.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I hadn't even realised tbh. 2005, damn.

Long story short used fina and duta to begin with and they worked. Got subtle, insidious side effects though and stopped after about 5 years.

Have since flip-flopped between all the usual topical stuff while gradually losing the battle.

These dermaroller stories give some hopium though.
If you already endured 5 years of DHT inhibition and stopped for a while you can always try to tritate rly slowly. Many cases of people who had to stop and came back doing 2-3x duta week or low dose finasteride per week without sides. Or try topicals. Sadly DHT inhibition is important. But if your alopecia is not super aggressive there's some hopium left with needling+minoxidil I guess

cryingariver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to report that I'm FINALLY seeing some results. Definite thickening on the top of my head now. Thickening all around. I increased my microneedling from once / 2 weeks to once per week. It's been 2 months now, and now I'm seeing the difference. Hopefully it keeps improving.

RagnarLothbrok

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I'm happy to report that I'm FINALLY seeing some results. Definite thickening on the top of my head now. Thickening all around. I increased my microneedling from once / 2 weeks to once per week. It's been 2 months now, and now I'm seeing the difference. Hopefully it keeps improving.
same, only start seeing results with consistent 1x week