Edit - Been using roller for about a month now

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score

Liquidbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings again.

Here is my original post from last year. If you have questions on my background and protocol, look here:

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/posts/1817384/

Long story short tho; 9+ months of microneedling and minoxidil was upended by a layoff and a serious funk for me. Stopped both, and basically all gains were lost.

Restarted both on June 25th of this year, so I'm at around 11 weeks. And just like last time, and the time before, the before and after pictures speak for themselves.

On the left is, I believe July 2nd. On the right is today, September 8th. So about 9 weeks in between pictures. Hair is at 3 weeks growth after buzz cut with no guard.

Judge for yourself.

I apologize if the angles aren't perfect.

Attachments

• 20200908_165537.jpg
    20200908_165537.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 736
  • 20200908_165511.jpg
    20200908_165511.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 724
  • 20200908_165438.jpg
    20200908_165438.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 719
  • 20200908_165406.jpg
    20200908_165406.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 733

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Making progress. Keep it up.

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings again.

Here is my original post from last year. If you have questions on my background and protocol, look here:

Long story short tho; 9+ months of microneedling and minoxidil was upended by a layoff and a serious funk for me. Stopped both, and basically all gains were lost.

Restarted both on June 25th of this year, so I'm at around 11 weeks. And just like last time, and the time before, the before and after pictures speak for themselves.

On the left is, I believe July 2nd. On the right is today, September 8th. So about 9 weeks in between pictures. Hair is at 3 weeks growth after buzz cut with no guard.

Judge for yourself.

Nice! Are you the guy from reddit who lost gains after going from needling once a week, to twice a week? And minoxidil from twice a day to once a day?

tressful11

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
4 months after my previous update. Lost significant gains after switching from minoxidil 10% to minoxidil 5%.
Also stopped rolling out of laziness and lack of clinical spirit to clean the roller.
While dermarolling helps, it looks like minoxidil is a crucial part of the hair growth magic. Dermarolling alone probably won't produce any significant results but I could be wrong.
So, basically I look like bald norwood 7 oldie now. As soon the lockdown stops, I'll resume rolling.
But I am not sure if my hair will go back to previous state.

Quick Update - I had left the forum due to the toxicity here and the stupid broscience being promoted by blind dermarolling haters.
Also as you can read in the quoted update from April, I had lost significant ground and was very depressed so decided to stay away from the forum.

I resumed dermarolling in June-July and have made significant progress again. It's not like I suddenly have brad pitt hair but atleast I don't like a 50 year old balding paedophile.

Just as a reminder, I am the unlucky a**h** for whom even dutasteride did not produce any results. It may have halted hairloss but certainly did not grow anything back.
Been consistently on minoxidil and finasteride/dutasteride for years with no significant progress in terms of hair growth.

Dermarolling is working well for me and now I intend to continue it as long as it is feasible.

My regimen - 1.5mm mild rolling daily just like @chen

I won't be much activate on the forum anymore. Wish you all well.

Liquidbanana

My Regimen
Reaction score
Great results @Liquidbanana , when you're rolling 1.5mm weekly, do you bleed? Or just hard enough for redness on the skin?

I roll until it's a frightening bloody mess. I figure if I don't, I'm just wasting my time and effort.

I think wounding until redness just isn't enough to induce whatever healing process that is triggering hair regrowth. Which is my theory as to why so many don't see results with wounding. They just aren't going hard enough, or wounding at an appropriate depth.

Yes it seems extreme, yes when you see an example of it you go 'ugh God, what is he doing to himself?!', but it's really no big deal. 2 days after wounding, any and all redness goes away. The existing hairs look and feel strong and thick. My usually dry and itchy scalp is vibrant and healthy.

Roll/wound HARD. That's my best advice when it comes to this treatment. Besides keeping at it and not giving up. Which is all too easy to do, trust me, this is my FOURTH attempt at this.

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
I roll until it's a frightening bloody mess. I figure if I don't, I'm just wasting my time and effort.

I think wounding until redness just isn't enough to induce whatever healing process that is triggering hair regrowth. Which is my theory as to why so many don't see results with wounding. They just aren't going hard enough, or wounding at an appropriate depth.

Yes it seems extreme, yes when you see an example of it you go 'ugh God, what is he doing to himself?!', but it's really no big deal. 2 days after wounding, any and all redness goes away. The existing hairs look and feel strong and thick. My usually dry and itchy scalp is vibrant and healthy.

Roll/wound HARD. That's my best advice when it comes to this treatment. Besides keeping at it and not giving up. Which is all too easy to do, trust me, this is my FOURTH attempt at this.

Im not so sure, chen just like tressful stated had amazing regrowth and he was wounding lightly with 1mm before applying min i believe. I guess people need to find their own sweet spot.

Balding curse

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Greetings again.

Judge for yourself.

Great result!
are still on finateride?

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I find using Dr Pen a whole lot more convenient than the roller, I got lazy using the roller. Do you still advise to use 2.0MM length when needling? Most people here are using 1.5 or 1.0

If I use a roller I use a 1.5mm one but if I use a dermapen I set it to 2.0mm.

Dimitri001

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
On the question of proper depth:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocd.13714

Microneedling in androgenetic alopecia; comparing two different depths of microneedles

Conclusion

microneedling with a depth of 0.6 mm in combination with minoxidil is more effective than minoxidil monotherapy in patients with Androgenetic Alopecia in terms of hair count and hair thickness. This depth of penetration tended to be more beneficial than depth of 1.2 mm.

baldlygoing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is said in the full text of the article, wich I was willing to sacrifice $8 for. :)
Good deal thanks! So it's similar to the Follica study in regards to depth. Did it mention anything about how many passes to make? Wondering if that is similar to Follica study as well.

I've been doing Follica protocol with the D2 at .75mm from my original hairline to where my hairline is now (bald area) and 1.0mm on top where I still have hair. And doing .5mm on hairline /.75mm where there's hair after it's healed, a few more times before it's time to do the Follica protocol again.

Past couple of months I've seen my temples get vellous hairs pop up on the temple area with a few terminal hairs come in past my current temple point. Also have a lot of vellous activity where my current hairline. My original hairline shows much less activity but there is some slight vellous activity there as well. While I do use Kirkland minoxidil 5% foam twice a day, I've been using it for years so I do believe that the regrowth I'm having is from needling. Broscience theory below...

I'm been using the D2 since November 2018, while still using minoxidil. Didn't really see much in terms of activity I've seen recently for the first year. I believe if I was a responder to increased absorption it would've happened within that first 3-12 months. The regrowth I'm seeing now has taken a couple of years and is slight, but visible, because of the regenerative effects of needling over time. It just takes longer than the standard "wait 6-12 months before deciding efficacy". I had to take a few months off around February of this year because I ran out of cartridges and it took several months for new ones to arrive with COVID.

baldlygoing

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, I'm considering dropping the daily use once healed, to just doing Follica protocol every 2 weeks. Since I don't believe the results are due to increased absorption, it might make sense to let it really fully heal before needling again.

Thoughts?

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Fernandes et al. demonstrated that when a roller device with 1mm needles is used, the needles only penetrate about 0.75 mm . On the other hand, Ro et al. showed that microneedling using a pen device with a depth of 0.5 mm appears to be more effective than a depth of 0.3 mm

Group A and B were treated with minoxidil lotion in a similar dose as well as microneedling procedure at 2-weeks intervals for a period of 12 weeks

A topical anesthetic cream, mixture of 2.5% lidocaine / prilocaine (Xyla-P® ,Tehran Chemie Pharmaceutical Company, Iran) was applied to the area to be treated, 30–45 minutes prior to microneedling procedure. The area was then washed with saline and cleansed with betadine

The cartridge we used contained 9 needles, each with the size of 33 gauge

Pinpoint bleeding from the treated area was considered the desired endpoint.

hair thickness in patients receiving a microneedle depth of 0.6 mm was significantly greater than those in control group (P = 0.021). This parameter was not significantly different between patients receiving a microneedle depth of 0.6 mm versus 1.2 mm (P = 0.85) and also between control group versus patients receiving a microneedle depth of 1.2 mm (P = 0.08). Post treatment hair count did not show a significant difference between three experimental groups.

We speculate that deeper penetration of needles may have caused minimal trauma to the hair bulge, hence decreased the efficacy of treatment in group A as Jimenez et al. showed that the ideal depth in hair transplant surgery is to cut the wound edge at a depth of less than 1mm to avoid the bulge zone.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jocd.13714

I'm not convinced at all. No quantitative data is provided, and their results contradict themselves. Hair thickness with .6mm was significantly greater than control, but not significantly greater than 1.2mm, however 1.2mm was not significantly different from control.

What's clear is there was no difference in hair count versus minoxidil monotherapy. This protocol did not induce neogenesis, therefore it is not the optimal protocol. I don't think they wounded as densely as Follica. I think they may have had somewhat better results with .6mm due to the small sample size, and they were basically just wounding for growth factor upregulation versus neogenesis. In my view the greatest takeaway from this study is that you have to wound intensely to trigger neogenesis, otherwise you are better off lightly needling with .5mm daily for absorption and growth factor upregulation.

Here is the study they base their speculation on regarding trauma to the hair bulge:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21070465/

This study contradicts that:
http://drcarloswesley.com/T/06082014.pdf

I don't think you can compare the depth at which you would cut existing, healthy hairs for transplantion to the depth at which you would wound to induce recruitment of stem cells for neogenesis. For this purpose, damaging the bulge would seem to be beneficial. Also, the hairs that we are trying to thicken are not as deep as the healthy hairs being transplanted. Vellus hairs are around .5-1mm deep. You are absolutely traumatizing the hell out of the bulge in these hairs at any depth. Once again, I think we're left with more questions than answers.

REG2-2-169-g001.jpg

(A), (B) Micro‐injury of bulge stem cells in telogen HFs, such as by laser ablation, can be efficiently repaired from the neighboring epithelial progenitor populations in the hair germ and possibly isthmus. Genetic ablation of dermal papilla cells in anagen HFs can be restored from the surviving dermal papilla cells and/or via recruitment of the neighboring dermal sheath cells. (C), (D) Anagen vibrissa follicles efficiently regenerate following amputation of the lower third, which includes the entire dermal papilla. Midway (lower half) amputations can also regenerate; however, this requires transplantation of a new dermal papilla. (E), (F) HFs can regenerate de novo following large excisional skin wounding in adult mice. This regenerative phenomenon is known as wound‐induced hair follicle neogenesis (WIHN). WIHN does not occur in small excisional wounds.

Principles and mechanisms of regeneration in the mouse model for wound‐induced hair follicle neogenesis

I will continue wounding at a minimum depth of 1mm.