Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

FutureSaitama

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm needling since end of December now. The one picture is from mit February, the other picture is from today. Maybe it's doing something? Hard to tell...

I'm on minoxidil and RU for more than 4 years.
whats your regimen, mate ?

yayapapaya

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks @yayapapaya. I have been using either 1.5mm or 1.75mm. I hardly use 2.mm. Whats the speed mode you use? Like low, medium or fast? And how long do you needle?

~10 passes on fast. I needle the whole head, takes maybe 10 min total. After that, I apply max concentration LiCl dissolved in water and leave it for an hour before washing away. I believe it enhances regrowth even further and doesn't cost much. When you rub it in, it has to hurt, I think. I needle every 4-5 days.

Bitless

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys, I'm needling since end of December now. The one picture is from mit February, the other picture is from today. Maybe it's doing something? Hard to tell...

Idk hard to tell, i’ll take good look later with my eyes are wide open lol

Badbald

Established Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the pictures buddy, I would say however if you want an accurate gauge for yourself and for us to give you an opinion on whether you have had some improvement then you need to brush your hair straight with a comb rather then to the side otherwise it will appear thicker on the newer photo even if its no better.

Having said that it does look better on the second photo, also like other have said the lighting could be playing a factor and ensure there is no remaining concealer in your hair before taking the pic if you use any.

chen

My Regimen
Reaction score
Almost 7 months into it.. I am calling it quits on derma. I maintained fine on big 3 but whatever hair I shed after derma never regrew. I diffused significantly during past 7 months. Good luck to all those trying and hope they have better response than I did. Going through this thread, there seem two sets of people, ones who have recently started big two with derma and have great response and others like me who had been on other treatments for quite a bit of time and end up having no or worse response.
I guess the problem is your regimen .why don't choose one that was tested and tried again?

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It looks like most who are on minoxidil are the ones who didn’t respond to it previously but stuck with it anyways? I’m not really buying the “now they added needling and bam, minoxidil worked so it must just be the minoxidil”! It felt more like it was the wounding that helped?

I stopped minoxidil and frankly don’t wanna start again because of the dred sheds and sides.

I’m going to try needling alone (I’m already on spironolactone for years but didn’t gain coverage. Still slowly losing ground) and hopefully will have something positive to report back.

samantha3333

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, I don’t understand why people don’t stick it out for at least 12-18 months? Aren’t there people who didn’t respond until that timeframe? It doesn’t cost much to needle. Side effects are minimal. And most importantly, what else is there????

yayapapaya

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also, I don’t understand why people don’t stick it out for at least 12-18 months? Aren’t there people who didn’t respond until that timeframe? It doesn’t cost much to needle. Side effects are minimal. And most importantly, what else is there????
Because needling alone doesn't do anything.

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 118322
View attachment 118321 Where has all this negativity come from?
Are you guys even needling for long enough and doing it correctly? And even so, just because it’s not working on you don’t spoil it for everyone, this has already worked for loads of people and can help people in the future.. it literally saved my social life and let’s not put off people trying it who come to the forum because it didn’t work for YOU..

The fact remains.. this worked in studies and its worked for loads here

This is 5 months.. it’s slow but it’s filling in

Good sh*t broseph!

Ignore @roberta she’s one of those weird balding loner gals who spends way too much time on a needling thread trying to discredit needling.

One of the most useless contributors on this thread if not entire site.

cvcsticks

My Regimen
Reaction score
View attachment 118322
View attachment 118321 Where has all this negativity come from?
Are you guys even needling for long enough and doing it correctly? And even so, just because it’s not working on you don’t spoil it for everyone, this has already worked for loads of people and can help people in the future.. it literally saved my social life and let’s not put off people trying it who come to the forum because it didn’t work for YOU..

The fact remains.. this worked in studies and its worked for loads here

This is 5 months.. it’s slow but it’s filling in
Great results! Did you experience a shed at all or it get worse before better?

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A study in 2018

http://www.jcasonline.com/article.a...e=11;issue=4;spage=211;epage=216;aulast=Kumar

I think this is critical of Dr Dhurat's study. While I believe dermarolling works because of the results I'm personally having after being on minoxidil and Propecia for years, we must also look at studies that were unable to replicate successful studies.

Study Conclusion: Our study showed that the combination of microneedling and topical minoxidil treatment was superior compared to topical minoxidil alone with regard to increase in the hair count and patient satisfaction, although the response achieved was not cosmetically significant.

Thanks for finding this. Finally, more studies are being published. I was annoyed by the fact that we had few studies for something that allegedly works since 2013.
Anyway, I just read the paper. There are good news and bad news.
The good news, is that there's one more study providing evidence in support of needling. Again, it works.
The bad news, it does not work to the degree that we're reported in the previous Dhurat study. If you check the numbers, you'll find out that the hair increase and the patient self assessments is not as astronomically high as previously reported. These findings are absolutely more in line with what we are seeing in this trial: lots of people seeing no improvement and complaining. Why do they complain? Because the old previous study generated ridiculously high expectations.
Had this study been published way earlier, and before the Dhurat one, and perhaps people (including me) would have set more realistic expectations.
Note that although hair count mostly increases significantly in the needling+min group, most of the time patients are not able to assess this as progress because it's not cosmetically significant. This may be the case of the "non-responders" here, including me: perhaps our haircount has increased, but not to the point we can visually detect it as progress.
The main question is: is haircount going to increase further? All of the published studies have assessed this in a 3-6 month time frame. We still don't know whether this trend will hold up indefinitely (that would be convenient for us) or if it will stall at some point, as seen in the finasteride and minoxidil responde curve.

I will paste a very important paragraph of the paper:

"From the above discussion, it is evident that microneedling
is an effective, safe, and promising therapeutic modality
for the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia along with topical minoxidil
5% solution. However, the therapeutic response recorded
in our “microneedling with topical minoxidil” group of
patients, though statistically superior to the responsei n the “minoxidil alone” group, is not cosmetically
significant when compared to the results of the study by
Dhurat et al.[3] Most plausible reasons for this finding
may be due to the difference in the procedures adopted
for evaluating the increase in hair count and also by not
making scalp shaving compulsory for our study subjects.
However, the sample size is small and the follow-up
period is short in both the studies. Though the response
achieved by microneedling in hair growth in our patients
is significant, it was further preserved only on continuous
use of minoxidil even after the study period. This finding
is similar to conventional modalities of treatment where
continuous long-term treatment is required to maintain
the response."

bboy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it say how they rolled? Depth and to what extent etc...

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does it say how they rolled? Depth and to what extent etc...
Yes:

"A derma roller of needle length 1.5mm (ReGe Roller
System; Geosmatic Cosmeceuticals and Cosmocare, Pune,
India) was rolled over the affected areas of the scalp after
proper cleansing in all directions (longitudinal, vertical,
and diagonal) until pinpoint bleeding was noted, which
was considered as the end point of the procedure. All
patients were instructed not to apply minoxidil on the day
of procedure and to resume its application 24h thereafter.
The patients were also instructed to apply minoxidil on a
clean and dry scalp and not to use hair oil."

Basically, almost the same as other studies.

Ludachris Batbak

My Regimen
Reaction score
My opinion: I think it's nearly impossible to perform a good dermaroller wounding session with the classic non electronic Dermaroller on a non shaved head... That's the point of the study for me...they can't do it right ...also they mentioned it on their own("by not
making scalp shaving compulsory for our study subjects").

So more evidence that it's working and it would be working better if the would done those sessions with a pen.. because the hair gets not caught like on a dermaroller)

Only my opinion think what you want...

Last edited:

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My opinion: I think it's nearly impossible to perform a good dermaroller wounding session with the classic non electronic Dermaroller on a non shaved head... That's the point of the study for me...they can't do it right ...also they mentioned it on their own... So more evidence that it's working and it would be working better if the would done those sessions with a pen..

Only my opinion think what you want...
Well, it should be reminded that the Dhurat study back in 2013 also did it with a roller, rather than a pe,and curiously, it oddly reported exceptionally high numbers of hair count increase and responde rates. Weird, isn't it?
Your opinion makes sense to me, but that's something that should be tested empirically.