Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

ToLGuy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
about the cancer thing related to wounding

We have a ton of fitness lovers on this planet and bodybuilders.

Every time they workout (usually everyday), it causes millions microtears in their muscles and they need to rest so it heals and grows their muslces. and they also have inflamation (muscles soreness)

workouts are probably just like ''wounding'' but to an extreme level, all the time and all over your body......so technically they would get cancer for working out..... but they dont at all.

I know its not the same type of wounding as scalp skin microneedling at all but...... if it makes sense, maybe we can draw and apply this parallel and draw a conclusion without feeling like there's a real risk of longterm microneedling

I must say I don't agree with this analogy, mainly because the "wounding" you mention in weightlifting is a totally different biological process than wounding induced by microneedling, and those differences are relevant regarding the emergence of cancer.
When you lift weights, you are actually causing micro tears in your myofibrills. Basically, destroying you are destroying structures at a sub-cellular level, yo are not destroying muscle cells per se. The reaction of the body is to repair those myofibrills, and produce mor, so that the bundle of myofibrills become thicker within the same muscle cells. Bottom line, increasing muscle mass does not involve increasing muscle cells, but rather making those cells larger (thicker, actually). That can't be considered regeneration in the strict sense.

On the other hand, microneedling seems to induce the conventional regeneration processes, that is, tissues are damaged, and then tissue is regenerated in the form of producing NEW cells which are going to replace the previously destroyed ones. As someone else claimed before, this process involves the multiplication of cells, and cancer is basically cell proliferation.

I am not saying that needling definitely increases the risk of cancer (although if it does, it would not be hard to believe at all, see the studies posted by @Wergi) , Im just saying that the analogy with bodybuilding is not adequate.

Drextez

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well again, from a non-scientist point of view: I never heard of muscle cancer, but I did hear of skin cancer. Still, an interesting comparison.
I am not saying that needling definitely increases the risk of cancer (although if it does, it would not be hard to believe at all, see the studies posted by @Wergi) , Im just saying that the analogy with bodybuilding is not adequate.

I agree with @DepressionPrince I would love to know the scientists / doctors opinion on microneedling potentially causing cancer.

I never really seen any population damaging their skin on a weekly/monthly basis, at the same place, for 10-30years.
I wouldnt be surprised there is some increase skin cancer risks.

People that arent balding, arent inflicting this type of consistent damage to their skin at all, especially at the same place. It makes you wonder...

Last edited:

J0ker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My 192 needle and my 540 needle 1mm rollers arrived today. Definitely a different vibe to the 1.5mm stamp I was using. It's a lot quicker and less painful but you cover a large area quickly so it's a different feeling. Very tingly.

The one with 540 needles just gets caught in my hair, and also seems to get "caught" on my skin a bit. Doesn't seem good for me at all.

I like the one with 192 needles, it glides over perfectly. Gonna experiment but I plan to do it every 2-3 days or so along with the harsher 1.5mm stamp every 7-10 days that I currently do.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with @DepressionPrince I would love to know the scientists / doctors opinion on microneedling potentially causing cancer.

I never really seen any population damaging their skin on a weekly/monthly basis, at the same place, for 10-30years.

People that arent balding, arent inflicting this type of consistent damage to their skin at all, especially at the same place. It makes you wonder...
tons of men+women dermaroll their faces.. it's been the skincare craze for like the past decade

all the people buying dermarollers/dermapens are doing it for their face.

we are a very, VERY tiny niche group doing it to our scalps

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score

Get hair or die trying, I’m riding these needles to the grave.

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Good work. It certainly looks to me like your crown is closing in!

In terms of scalp calcification theory. Is your scalp pretty hard, unlike say the sides of your head where you’re not balding?

I would say my scalp it isn't as pliable. Although my crown has a bit more give to it than say the top of my head... it seems the tightest there.

Last edited:

overpourgoodfortune

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Whats your regime ?

My survey post is here for most details. Here's a quick summary:

I had previously used Minoxidil for around two years' time. Maybe it helped me maintain, or loss was slowed considerably... but definitely no re-growth in that time. I went off it for 6 months... as I just wasn't pleased that I didn't have any re-growth and thought I may as well quit rather than waste the money. Of course I eventually started to shed and things became quite thin.

I started minoxidil again a week before needling (Dec 10). I did also start Finasteride at that time and used a M/W/F low dosing of 1mg. I found this thread a few days into my prescription ... and decided after a month to quit finasteride and just try minoxidil and needling. So my results could certainly be skewed. I decided to quit so I could understand what effect the needling would have with minoxidil ... since with minoxidil alone for 2 years it only helped me maintain.

sportsguy97

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@overpourgoodfortune . There is definitely results.... and think about it. Imagine you can compound those results going forward. Would be a homerun. Good to see things going in a positive direction for alot of people here lately.

As for the cancer concerns. I just view it like this. Would a company like follica and the all star research team really put together something they know could cause cancer? Even if they could do something to "get around" potential issues with cancer, it would be a tough sell to people. From a marketability and a legal standpoint i just don't think it would make sense.

Alot of things "can cause cancer". As mentioned, people have been needling their faces for a while now. Yes we needle more often, but remember were still experimenting. For maintenance i don't think we'll to needle more than once a month. For regrowth? Who knows, could be the same.

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Time for me to post some pics I've never posted before. This was one of the most crucial aspects of this dermarolling experiment for me. To see if it would work on my diffuse sides... something very few people with normal male pattern baldness experience.

And, I have to say, it was a success.

My sides looked so shot to hell and diffuse and now they look restored:

Last edited:

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Time for me to post some pics I've never posted before. This was one of the most crucial aspects of this dermarolling experiment for me. To see if it would work on my diffuse sides... something very few people with normal male pattern baldness experience.

View attachment 112928 View attachment 112929

geting better....
View attachment 112930

now:

View attachment 112933 View attachment 112932 View attachment 112934
Hollyshit. Dude my sides are thin too. This is dermarolling plus minoxidil? I really want to avoid minoxidil I am dermarolled my sides today. I wonder if being on finasteride will make a difference.

Norwood Recovery

My Regimen
Reaction score

View attachment 112928 View attachment 112929

geting better....
View attachment 112930

now:

View attachment 112933 View attachment 112932 View attachment 112934
How long did it take to get these results? And were you using minoxidil on the sides aswell? I may throw this into my sessions. Fantastic results!

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hollyshit. Dude my sides are thin too. This is dermarolling plus minoxidil? I really want to avoid minoxidil I am dermarolled my sides today. I wonder if being on finasteride will make a difference.

How long did it take to get these results? And were you using minoxidil on the sides aswell? I may throw this into my sessions. Fantastic results!

Yeah. Since the beginning I have dermarolled and applied minoxidil on my entire head lol
except for the back, i have no thinning in the back

every night I apply .75mL to cover the temples, hairline, top, and crown.
and then .25mL to each side of my head

so 1.25mL in total every day.

and yeah I've gone the HARDEST with the Derminator on my sides.

EndlessPossibilities

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah. Since the beginning I have dermarolled and applied minoxidil on my entire head lol

Damn I feel like that’s the most painful spot to dermaroll the sides. I legit bought lidocaine cause I am a baby lol.

Considering the sides will never disappear I wonder if I should put some minoxidil there I just don’t want it to spread to the rest of my scalp.

We shall see if dermarolling my sides with finasteride will make a difference.

How often you dermaroll. I am dermarolling once a week

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Damn I feel like that’s the most painful spot to dermaroll the sides. I legit bought lidocaine cause I am a baby lol.

Considering the sides will never disappear I wonder if I should put some minoxidil there I just don’t want it to spread to the rest of my scalp.

We shall see if dermarolling my sides with finasteride will make a difference.

How often you dermaroll. I am dermarolling once a week
once a week pretty much
some weeks twice

albert

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

I also have thinning sides and have been skipping wounding there for no particular reason but I’ll now start doing it in there as well. When I have buzzed hair it’s harder to notice it’s thinner but as soon as it grows a little it’s not very aesthetic. Although sides is always interesting - some NW0 or 1 have thinning sides but otherwise fullhead. Thanks for sharing!