Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

benjt2

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It’s hard to say if it helped... It does give your scalp more flexibility and it doesnt feel tight anymore (if you know what i mean) back in the days i had a lot of itch and a red scalp. And that is over since 2010.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.

Been doing scalp massages now for about one and a half weeks. Some parts of my scalp have already become less tight and more flexible (mostly my temples). Others, though, no change at all.
Did you even become flexible around your vertex and on the very top?
Hard to believe that these parts can become flexible...

I am also wondering if the whole scalp is actually very flexible for people without Androgenetic Alopecia. Hard to check though :D
"hey, can I check if I can pinch your scalp skin around your vertex?"
Any idea on this or comparison/study comparing it to non-balding people? I know that non-balding people dont have fibrosis in their scalp, but I am not sure if this also translates into a flexible, non-tight scalp.

Thanks again, your input is greatly appreciated!

spooon

Established Member
Reaction score
is there a consensus here that things get noticeably worse before they get better as a consequence of microneedling? I do hope so!

yayapapaya

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wonder about the efficacy of oral minoxidil vs Dermapen plus topical minoxidil.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...-week_treatment_in_male_androgenetic_alopecia

This study states that at 24 weeks oral minoxidil grew 35.1 hairs per cm3. If I remember correctly the chinese study showed around the same number. I wonder if minoxidil does the heavy lifting and needling is more of an aid for it. Although the Chinese study did prove the efficacy of just needling alone. Any body have any thoughts?
minoxidil does the heavy lifting. Some delusional people here may claim needling is better than minoxidil alone, but its not even close.

WishIHadHair2570

My Regimen
Reaction score
Congrats! How often do you needle? And at what length? And are you using any other treatments or just microneedling? Thanks.

I do 1.5MM on my head and on my scars once a week with the derminator 2.

I've been on finasteride/min/dutasteride for 3 years now. Maybe finasteride/dutasteride has slowed my loss down, i have no idea. I've stayed on them despite continuing to lose the fight. I have a diffuse pattern and it's definitely continued to get thinner over the past 2/3 years, especially in the crown. The only thing I'm changing is adding microneedling. If I get results, it's due to microneedling and microneedling alone because I was already doing everything else I could.

freebiefan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am also wondering if the whole scalp is actually very flexible for people without Androgenetic Alopecia. Hard to check though :D
"hey, can I check if I can pinch your scalp skin around your vertex?"
Any idea on this or comparison/study comparing it to non-balding people? I know that non-balding people dont have fibrosis in their scalp, but I am not sure if this also translates into a flexible, non-tight scalp.
I wonder this too. I know that the areas around my head which have the most density, the horseshoe area, do so because of the muscles underneath. I wonder if people with NW0/1 have that kind of flexibility all over their head.

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wounding creates all-new follicles -

It does happen. It was documented by dermatologists many years ago from dermabrasion sessions (a pretty heavy-duty kind of scraping for cosmetic reasons). It's been seen to happen in areas that never even had hair in the first place. But it's a very random scattered sparse kind of thing.

Microneedling is just another form of wounding. No doubt it's capable of producing all-new hairs too. But how many? I would think that when microneedling helps a thinning area it's going to be both new and old follicles. Probably more of the old ones though.

Kenny's_Login

Reaction score
is there a consensus here that things get noticeably worse before they get better as a consequence of microneedling? I do hope so!

As the poster above said, anything that is effective will historically induce a shed, but the majority of needlers here have not reported shedding before achieving growth. Like you, I'm waiting for someone to report that, because I was shedding between 75 and 150 hairs a day for a couple of weeks. I'm now down to around 50 to 75, but the loss has become noticeable.

Last edited:

layabout

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
did @2young2retire post new pics?

I don't want to go trawling through 150 pages of thread. What did he say? Does he still have his gains or not? Did he eventually get on minoxidil? I just went through his old thread from 2014

luen12

My Regimen
Reaction score
So, I was finally able to do my first Derminator session yesterday (I could barely wait for it haha ;) ) and I must say that I was quite impressed! Needling 2mm with the Derminator was less hurtful than 1,5mm with my old dermapen. And even though it felt like every needle went as deep as it should go, my skin was less red afterwards. (I believe it’s because it scratches less on the surface)
My hair feels stronger and I think my vellus hair at my hairline is slowly turning thicker and thicker. However, it’s still too early to make a huge cosmetic difference, which is why I am going to wait at least 1-2 weeks until I post my next photos.

@benjt2 also took the survey

Nickname: luen12
Hairloss started at: not really sure, I never actually had the perfect hairline as a child, probably noticed it around age 14/15 when I started to care about it
Current Norwood: Norwood 2,5
Balding pattern: mostly receding
Affected areas: frontal hairline + temples
Treatment history:
  • Minoxidil since 01/2017 until 04/2017 + 07/2017 until 11/2017 on hairline/temples only (after stopping in November 2017 huge shed, lost an entire scale (from Norwood 1,5-2 to Norwood 2,5-3) + telogen effluvium on the top of my head, extreme shedding ended 06/2018, since then slight recovery, but mostly vellus hair at hairline/temple)
  • Ketoconazol 2% shampoo (2-3x a week9 since 02/2018 until now
  • Finasteride since mid 10/2018 until 11/2018 (got prescription from my dermatologist, didn’t have any side effects, but I wanted to try if a less agressive approach works, because I don’t want to use it for the rest of my life)
  • 1,7ml RU 3% (ca. 50 mg) every night since 11/2018 (not really a fan of it either, but it doesn’t give me sides and I feel more comfortable with a topical approach, looking forward to replacing it with Breezula in the future)
Needling since: mid November 2018
Needling until: still needling
Not needling anymore because: ---
Needling frequency (average): every two weeks
Needling, total number of sessions: 7
Needling device: generic electric dermapen, switched to Derminator 2 since 7th session
Needling depth/needle length: first 6 sessions 1,5mm, now 2mm
Needling intensity: redness + drawing few drops of blood
Needled areas: entire top of head (Hairline, temples, crown, vertex)
Needling side effects: redness for 3 days, flaking after 7 days
Using minoxidil: no, mainly because of my negative experience after stopping it
On minoxidil since: ---
Using other treatments at the same time: 1,7 ml of RU 3% every night (50mg) started two weeks before needling
Witnessing regrowth: yes
Regrowth since: End of January 2019
Pattern of regrowth: existing vellus hair on hair line grows stronger + can feel a lot of short hair on my entire head
Description of and satisfaction with regrowth: +2, but expecting more to come
Photos showing own progress or lack thereof: will follow mid February

yayapapaya

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

It does happen. It was documented by dermatologists many years ago from dermabrasion sessions (a pretty heavy-duty kind of scraping for cosmetic reasons). It's been seen to happen in areas that never even had hair in the first place. But it's a very random scattered sparse kind of thing.

Microneedling is just another form of wounding. No doubt it's capable of producing all-new hairs too. But how many? I would think that when microneedling helps a thinning area it's going to be both new and old follicles. Probably more of the old ones though.

U have to stop the process that killed ur last follicles first though. minoxidil doesn't do that.

PeggyPeterson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Not sure if people have posted this before, but to add to your point.. here is proof that wounding can lead to generation of new follicles in humans..

If you have full access to the article, you can see the photo.. 1 fully terminal hair.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29310861/

Only question is.. can we control this process to improve the outcome? (I’m looking at you cotsarelis)

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I thought people were exaggerating with the dark circles and minoxidil, but it seems to be a thing with me as well

PeggyPeterson

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Photos

upload_2019-2-3_15-56-38.jpeg

Note- he lost more follicles than he gained through removal of carcinoma, but at a conceptual level, this proves that follicles can in fact regenerate..

Whether we’ll be able to do this at a cosmetic significant level will hopefully be revealed, this thread definitely helps provoke discussion, but more importantly I am hoping scientific research and clinical trials will focus on this area..

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeh I know, just that my main weapon against thinning is getting a zero guard high fade back and sides and I don't want to risk the white dot scarring

Just please PLEASE don’t get a transplant in Turkey.

The Newhair blog has some turkey horror stories a few pages in. Like scalp necrosis and urghhhhh....

https://newhair.com/baldingblog/opi...tors-based-turkey-seem-get-lot-great-reviews/

kiwi666

My Regimen
Reaction score
Actually, having a transplant without using finasteride and minoxidil is pointless, and the most pro surgeons even advice that to patients. A transplant will never be enough to cover the entire potentially balding area, so everyone should jump on treatments to conserve native hairs that are still prone to be lost.
That, in my opinion, is what makes transplants kinda pointless. I am already on finasteride and I am always paranoid of keep losing hair. A transplant will not take that anxiety away because it's not preventing further loss. What I (and most of us) need is something that works and actually prevents further loss in the long term. I really hope needling is the savior. Only time will tell.

Not entirely true - if you have slow balding and have a good master plan you might be fine.

But more or less I tend to agree.

If you plan around your balding pattern you can do it.