Very Impressive Dermarolling And Minxodil Results - From Tressless

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pens are definitely superior. I used to do 1mm, but I switched to 1.5mm in the last two months. I tried 2.5mm, but it was too painful. Maybe I'll try it again with a numbing cream.

12 pin or 36pin cartridge, i was using 36 pin, dunno if that's why it was pulling out so many hairs. I was needling at 2.5mm and the pain wasn't all that bad, on my crown though, maybe temples and stuff are more painful.

TylerDurdenn

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone???

"Hi guys, will this be a decent one, Dr Pen Derma Pen Ultima A6? I guess it doesnt matter that much what I buy? The shortest size is 0.25, this wont be too long? I also thought about Dr.pen Ultima N2, its half the price, is it worth it to spend a bit more for a expensive one?"

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone???

"Hi guys, will this be a decent one, Dr Pen Derma Pen Ultima A6? I guess it doesnt matter that much what I buy? The shortest size is 0.25, this wont be too long? I also thought about Dr.pen Ultima N2, its half the price, is it worth it to spend a bit more for a expensive one?"

0.25 is not long at all, i have the dr pen ultima a6, works great, i would buy that.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The results you get from microneedling alone aren't going to show up in pictures. They just aren't dramatic enough to be noticeable, same as minoxidil monotherapy. You should get back on microneedling now that you're on oral minoxidil. Even once a month is fine. I notice the most regrowth 3-4 weeks after a needling session.

I beg to differ about minoxidil monotherapy. It might not be enough without an AA to stave off real hair loss but it generally leads to a pretty obvious visual improvement.

I'm getting a new pen in soon so I will start a proper protocol too. I'm hoping between topical and oral minoxidil, needling and (just started) RU I can maintain acceptably for a couple more years.

Throwaway94

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks! Anyone ordered from wish? Or best to buy directly from their site? To make sure you get the best quality
I prefer aliexpress over wish. Generally the same suppliers etc but Wish is just more expensive. I've had good experiences with them so far.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Only about 5 weeks in, done a variety of things so far Inc dermarolling about 4 times, and using a Derminator 2 twice... Going to now stick to a mix of folica protocol but with 3 dermarolling sessions the 2nd week of the break between needling.

Anyway not seen any progress which is to be expected, BUT have found one random short thick black hair in a slick bald area... It's just sprung up and is much much shorter than the rest. Hopefully that's a good sign!

Will report back in a few months if any significant progress.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Every hour with a min depth of 5cm ;)

I don't think anyone knows tbh but daily at approx 1mm - 1.5mm seems the most promising. Then there's also needling too, which seems best once every two weeks at 0.8mm I think according to the Folica protocol.

I'm going for 1mm daily and then once my Derminator 2 arrives I'll add in micro needling every two weeks with it too.
Was going back over posts and saw this. What's the difference between dermarolling and needling? Aren't they the same thing? I've been trying a pen every other day at 1mm. Too much?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Was going back over posts and saw this. What's the difference between dermarolling and needling? Aren't they the same thing? I've been trying a pen every other day at 1mm. Too much?

Rollers tend to not really be as effective or go as deep as an equivalent depth needle device.

The Folica protocol states to do 0.8 every two weeks... So I'd say needling at every other day seems excessive, it takes I believe five days for the healing process to take place which is the important part of needling.

I'm not 100% convinced we can achieve the same results as Folica using home devices so I'm adding rolling after one week every other day to see if it helps via additional minoxidil absorption.

I don't think anyone knows really the right way to approach this, but if you're successfully wounding I'd say you need that five day gap between sessions as a minimum.

hairDespair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Rollers tend to not really be as effective or go as deep as an equivalent depth needle device.

The Folica protocol states to do 0.8 every two weeks... So I'd say needling at every other day seems excessive, it takes I believe five days for the healing process to take place which is the important part of needling.

I'm not 100% convinced we can achieve the same results as Folica using home devices so I'm adding rolling after one week every other day to see if it helps via additional minoxidil absorption.

I don't think anyone knows really the right way to approach this, but if you're successfully wounding I'd say you need that five day gap between sessions as a minimum.
The whole process seems completely random. Some people say they get good results doing every day at insane depths, then others doing 2 weeks or more. I've tried the 2 weeks approach for a good 6 plus months and never saw anything, which is why I thought of doing every other day

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
The whole process seems completely random. Some people say they get good results doing every day at insane depths, then others doing 2 weeks or more. I've tried the 2 weeks approach for a good 6 plus months and never saw anything, which is why I thought of doing every other day

Yeah it's hard to know isn't it... Folica definitely identified the healing process as being every bit as important as the wounding, but like you said some people seem to have seen excellent results butchering their scalp regularly, and others following Folica haven't seen much happen yet.

I guess with minoxidil mixed in too we don't know how much success can be attributed to good response to that too, although some of the best results didn't even use it.

All quiet baffling which is why I'm doing some rolling between bi-weekly needling in the hope it attacks it from both angles of wounding + increased minoxidil absorption

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
This guys had decent results needling, he uses the Derminator 2 , is that much different from Dr Pen? I'm going to upgrade from the old roller

Milkonos

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Question for those who stab their scalp: is it possible to "regrow" the frontline if you're nw2 to a Norwood 1 or 0 ? Or do you have to go undergo a hair-transplant ?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Question for those who stab their scalp: is it possible to "regrow" the frontline if you're nw2 to a Norwood 1 or 0 ? Or do you have to go undergo a hair-transplant ?

No one is really even sure it works at all, apart from maybe a few lucky responders. Only thing you can really do is give it a go and see what happens

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
This guys had decent results needling, he uses the Derminator 2 , is that much different from Dr Pen? I'm going to upgrade from the old roller

Didn't see anything in there not on this forum tbh, wouldn't be surprised if he got his info from here in fact.

He said he does 1.5mm every week but just for a few minutes with a D2 which doesn't seem like it'd be very effective given it's slow speed Vs Folica's device, and didn't post any pics of his own hair before and after, or even if he had any success.

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'm two sessions in on weekly needling with minoxidil. First hundred or so pages of this I was super hopeful, but seems like a bunch of people didn't get results over time. I'll go 9 months at least.

I took baseline pictures.. hair cut to a 4 buzzed, flash on, in my bathroom. Will mimic that exactly after 4 or 5 months.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I'm two sessions in on weekly needling with minoxidil. First hundred or so pages of this I was super hopeful, but seems like a bunch of people didn't get results over time. I'll go 9 months at least.

I took baseline pictures.. hair cut to a 4 buzzed, flash on, in my bathroom. Will mimic that exactly after 4 or 5 months.

It took me 9-12 months to see any improvement on Dutasteride, so as with all treatments you have to be super patient just purely because of hair cycles.

I don't think many have got past 6 months, most less and so it'll be a while yet before we can see if many end up responding.

It might not work, but of it does we won't know for a while yet. I started about a month ago, will give it 12 months before really getting excited / giving up hope.

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm surprised I didn't see this guys regression posted. He did a one year post, where he was dermanrolling once a week at 1.5, and applying minoxidil twice a day. Then a 2 year update where he lost a ton of ground. He started rolling every other week, and applying minoxidil once a day after year 1.
One year:
-https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/bsoseu/one_year_results_on_big_3_dermaroll_32yo_nw7/
-https://imgur.com/a/jeMxcBf
-https://imgur.com/a/yryIhsj

2 Year:
-https://www.reddit.com/r/tressless/comments/i4hwg2/2_year_update_nw_7_nw_3_nw_45_big_4/
-https://imgur.com/a/EEEJuF3

Jesse14

My Regimen
Reaction score
That's Narwhal7, he has a thread on this forum. That's too bad he lost ground like that, sounds like it's largely because he didn't like applying minoxidil. He should have gotten on oral minoxidil.

yea, it's a shame. He made the right call to get a hair transplant. But that's all from just going from applying minoxidil twice a day, to once? Just surprises me I guess.